: Fleetwood kills Turkey..

Fleetwood Greg
09-09-11, 11:24 AM
I came out to go to work the other morning and my Roadmaster had a flat tire.
So I reluctantly roll my Fleetwood out of the shop to take it to work.
I have a 25 mile commute, all country driving, and I see a lot of wildlife in the early morning, mostly deer.
I was traveling at sunrise, about 60 mph, it was slightly foggy, and as I neared a curve on the highway, a hen Turkey was walking out into my lane from the right shoulder.
I swerved to the left as no traffic was approaching, and I decided to lay on the horn, possibly because I love the sound of it, also thinking the Turkey would turn around and retreat, Wrong!!
The foul took flight right into my path, I only had time to duck as I thought it was coming through the windshield, I hear a loud thud and I look in the rearview and I see a lot of feathers in the air.
I am just sure it has damaged my baby, so I pull over to check the damages, not a scratch, she hit the upper right corner of the windshield, leaving dirty foot streaks, but no glass, A pillar, or roof damage. God bless GM for building such a massive machine, with built in force field!!
I fixed the tire that night and haven't driven the Cad to work since.
Fleetwood Greg

CADforce69
09-09-11, 12:15 PM
Im glad you and your caddy were ok after this meeting; after all, birds have light bodies. These flying creatures are unpredictable. Driving in the city I hit a dove the last year. Just some months ago, after leaving my caddy in the estate it usually rests, I passed over a kitten in a country road at night. When I saw it, I was at just 1 meter and car speed was 60 mph. Its sad but its Natural Selection law: The least smart individuals succumb in order to clean genetic heritage... The worst part of it is that we are also subject to this law.

P.S. Ill never forget that "thumpthump!" sound.

The-Dullahan
09-09-11, 12:32 PM
Down here, Vultures will be very stubborn and refuse to leave a boar carcass on the highway or even a squirrel, in fear the others will steal it. This results in roadkill collecting roadkill.

CADforce69
09-09-11, 12:47 PM
Down here, Vultures will be very stubborn and refuse to leave a boar carcass on the highway or even a squirrel, in fear the others will steal it. This results in roadkill collecting roadkill.

A vulture is really a definitive test for your windshield strength:ill:

Rick James
09-09-11, 01:13 PM
I'm glad everything turned out alright for ya.

Stingroo
09-09-11, 01:36 PM
Yeah, turkeys in my experience don't take too kindly to horns. When we first moved from Maine to Massachusetts, there were a bunch of wild turkeys in our city. One day while driving with my dad (I was 14, first learning how to drive), a bunch of them started to cross in front of us. Dad suggested I honk at them, so I did, and one began to peck the chrome bumper on our Park Avenue. I ended up reversing and taking a detour to avoid the turkeys. :lol:

CADforce69
09-09-11, 02:58 PM
Yeah, turkeys in my experience don't take too kindly to horns. When we first moved from Maine to Massachusetts, there were a bunch of wild turkeys in our city. One day while driving with my dad (I was 14, first learning how to drive), a bunch of them started to cross in front of us. Dad suggested I honk at them, so I did, and one began to peck the chrome bumper on our Park Avenue. I ended up reversing and taking a detour to avoid the turkeys. :lol:

Id bet if Alfred Hitchcock had had the same experience, he would have done a movie. :LOL:

Cadillacboy
09-09-11, 04:33 PM
Good to see your ride and you were alright :) . I bet had you driven cheap eco boxes results would be worse

Stingroo
09-09-11, 04:33 PM
Probably would have been a good movie too. I love Hitchcock. Took a whole class on his films last year. :thumbsup:

turbojimmy
09-09-11, 05:17 PM
I passed over a kitten in a country road at night. When I saw it, I was at just 1 meter and car speed was 60 mph. Its sad but its Natural Selection law: The least smart individuals succumb in order to clean genetic heritage... The worst part of it is that we are also subject to this law.

P.S. Ill never forget that "thumpthump!" sound.

I hit a cat going about 40, and heard it bounce around in the wheel well. I was certain it was dead, but my horrified wife made me go back and check. It wasn't, and it was really pissed off about the whole thing. I grabbed a towel from the trunk and wrapped it up. It had a collar on it, with a Colorado address. I live in NJ. It wasn't hard to find the driveway with the cars with Colorado tags. They had just moved in. It was 3AM. I rang the bell and after a lot of thumping sounds someone stumbled to the door. I said "I think this is yours....". The cat was screaming in pain and I was glad to hand it over. The couple thanked me for not leaving it lying on the side of the road.

Curiousity got the best of me, so weeks later I stopped by the house to see what happened with the cat. The stupid thing lived. Chipped tooth, concussion and a broken pelvis. One down, 8 to go.

CADforce69
09-09-11, 06:32 PM
Your wife for sure believed cats have 9 lives. That saved this poor things life. Who knows if "my" little cat stood alive after the accident. I thought Id only find a cat burger.

outsider
09-09-11, 06:33 PM
did you throw the turkey under the hood and let it cook while you were driving? mmmm, road kill bbq...

The-Dullahan
09-09-11, 11:47 PM
A vulture is really a definitive test for your windshield strength:ill:

Grand Marquis VS Vulture ended in a stalemate.

I though it was a Grand Marquis Victory, but later on, realized that the headlamp housing was no longer airtight. That was enough to convince me that

A: Plastic headlamps are horrible and should be deleted.

B: "The Little Car" as my family called it, had to GO immediately.

I don't know about cats, but my dog got hit nine times in his life that I am aware of(Seeing a car that wasn't ours happened less than once annually, so he never understood he was not capable of killing them) and always stood up, shook and carried on like nothing happened. I have heard stories of people starting cars with cats hiding in the engine bays...

As for me, my car mostly just offs rabbits (And what a fine collection of pelts, I have) and oppossum, which for the most part, no one really likes anyway.

I don't really feel bad about the rabbits either, considering that my snakes eat them all year long anyhow, but I do try to avoid them, but they, like most rodents (especially squirrels) will run back across the road if they get scared so even if they made it the first time, they won't the second.

I have never hit a bird in the Cadillac, but one time there was a dove standing in the middle of the road in my neighbourhood and I stopped, surprised that the normally timid bird had not fled. I blew the [train]horn and it still stayed right there, so I tried to maneuver over it slowly. I watched in my side mirror to see if it it was still there, but instead I just saw a cloud of feathers. Apparently the car ate it.

cadillac kevin
09-09-11, 11:49 PM
who needs a little car? you've got a dead people car. and dead people cars pwn turkeys with their purple and orange lights.

CADforce69
09-10-11, 08:45 AM
A: Plastic headlamps are horrible and should be deleted.

Totally agree. Most times, after 4 years living on the street, they grow opaque and look totally crappy.

I have heard stories of people starting cars with cats hiding in the engine bays...

It happened to me. One fine day I took my daily drive to work and as I was leaving the parking I heard a meow, meow! sound. I thought a kitten I saw wandering in the parking was now at that point, but when engine warmed up, I could hear that meow, meow more and more frequently, so I realized what was happening. When I parked my car I opened the hood quickly and saw the kitten on the engine plastic cover dazzled, so I seized it at once and carried it one block further. It was an elegant neighborhood plenty of charitable ladies, so Im sure hes living a better life now. He was lucky it got into a modern car, plenty of plastic covers in the engine bay. In an old car he could have been chopped by pulleys and fan... Eugh!

I have never hit a bird in the Cadillac, but one time there was a dove standing in the middle of the road in my neighbourhood and I stopped, surprised that the normally timid bird had not fled. I blew the [train]horn and it still stayed right there, so I tried to maneuver over it slowly. I watched in my side mirror to see if it it was still there, but instead I just saw a cloud of feathers. Apparently the car ate it.

Ive seen doves semi-paralized in my city, once on an avenue and just today on the pavement. I think its a kind of disease these birds suffer.

Fleetwood Greg
09-10-11, 11:03 AM
That's the first thing they asked me when I got to work and told my Turkey story.
They wanted to know what I did with the carcass, I don't think anyone would have cooked it and eaten it, but they got a good laugh out of the story.
Greg

The-Dullahan
09-10-11, 02:21 PM
who needs a little car? you've got a dead people car. and dead people cars pwn turkeys with their purple and orange lights.

That's why in my current home, a lovely two-story pink house with a spacious yard full of gorgeous bright pink and red hibiscus flowers and a cute little white picket fence around the yard, where all my neighbours are little old ladies, I toss beef scraps onto my roof. The Vultures keep the Squirrels away AND help me keep up appearances, so that even if I am not home, everyone can see "That Hearse Guy" lives here.

If Kevin and I ever make it to the same Forum meet, I am buying him a drink.