: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - 580HP, 556 lb.-ft $54095 7:41.27 at Nurburgring

garfin
09-09-11, 09:21 AM
I know there are a number of folks here who have been following the info on the Camaro ZL1 and the numbers released this morning with some interesting additional details and features here:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110908/CARNEWS/110909865

Explanation of the increased ratings over the V is
"The 6.2-liter, supercharged LSA V8 will make 580 hp at 6,000 rpm, and 556 lb-ft of torque at 4,200 rpm, besting Chevrolet's original targets for the engine's output and bettering its efficiency in Cadillac's CTS-V by 24 hp and 5 lb-ft...
As the Camaro team explained, the engine's improved numbers come thanks to “a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual ‘bell mouth' inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing. Other changes include a higher-efficiency supercharger intercooler and electric power steering system, which consumes less engine power than hydraulic-steering systems."

Best regards,

Elie

SecretWeapon
09-09-11, 09:38 AM
I want the higher efficiency supercharger intercooler - now. Parts department please--

e6t
09-09-11, 10:09 AM
i cant imagine how many ZL1s are going to be totaled within 3 months of release.

Lord Cadillac
09-09-11, 11:45 AM
If the Camaro is getting it, I have to wonder if the CTS-V is getting it too...

Camaro ZL1 Delivers 580 Horsepower and Exclusive Technologies

Supercharged, 6.2L LSA V-8 delivers 580 horsepower (432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm)
ZL1 power complemented by exclusive Magnetic Ride Control and Performance Traction Management
Track-capable standard equipment includes high-performance fuel system, as well as engine, transmission and differential coolers
DETROIT – The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1’s supercharged 6.2L engine is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower (432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm) – making it the most-powerful production Camaro ever.

The ZL1’s outstanding power is complemented by advanced powertrain and chassis technologies, including exclusive Performance Traction Management and third-generation Magnetic Ride Control.

“The Camaro ZL1 delivers supercar performance and technology in the sports-car segment,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “For sheer power, the ZL1 delivers more horsepower than a Ferrari 458, more torque than an Aston Martin DB9 V12, and a better power-to-weight ratio than a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS.

“The Camaro ZL1 also features exclusive chassis and traction technologies,” Oppenheiser said, “to offer the best of all worlds – including balanced handling for the track, acceleration for a drag strip, and the comfort of a daily driver.”

The most-powerful production Camaro ever
The 2012 Camaro ZL1’s surpasses the advertised power of the legendary 1969 Camaro ZL1’s 427 cubic-inch big block by more than 150 horsepower (112 kW) – while meeting modern emissions requirements. And, the new ZL1 is backed by General Motors’ five-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

“The torque is going to make the ZL1 a car you won’t want to get out of,” said John Rydzewski, assistant chief engineer for small block engines. “Not only will the ZL1 have more power and torque than the competition, we’re making it available with an optional automatic transmission, to appeal to a wider group of sports car enthusiasts.”

The all-aluminum LSA supercharged V-8 (http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_chevrolet.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Feb/11chicago/chevrolet/0208_lsa) is part of GM’s legendary small-block engine family. For a solid foundation, the engine’s lower end uses six-bolt main bearing caps that clamp and lock in the forged steel crankshaft to the deep-skirt block (http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/camaro_convertible/2011.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Feb/0214_camaro). Its 1.9L Roots-style blower uses an efficient four-lob rotor set and compact intercooler to deliver boosted air into the high-flow cylinder heads.

For the Camaro ZL1, the LSA features a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing. Other changes include a higher-efficiency supercharger intercooler and electric power steering system, which consumes less engine power than hydraulic-steering systems.

The ZL1 will be offered with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The Tremec TR-6060 “MG9” manual features 30 percent more torque capacity than in the Camaro SS. The higher torque capacity results from a strengthened output shaft, high-strength rear housing, and additional roller bearing. The MG9 has also been tuned for improved shift feel, with a dual-mass flywheel, twin-disc clutch, and triple synchros for smooth, precise shifts.

Similarly, the Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic has been strengthened to handle the torque and horsepower produced by the 6.2L supercharged small block. The 6L90 features a strengthened input gearset with two additional pinion gears, additional clutch plate, and a strengthened output shaft and gearset. To make the ZL1 perform equally well on street and track, the 6L90 features three distinct drive modes:

Drive: The shift pattern is calibrated for optimal fuel economy, including second-gear starts, while the shift feel is tuned for a smooth driving experience. Engaging the tap-shift feature on the steering wheel or shift lever engages temporary manual mode.
Sport: The shift pattern is calibrated for more aggressing driving, including first-gear starts for maximum performance. The shift feel is also more aggressive, with a performance algorithm that holds the transmission in lower gears during aggressive driving.
Manual: Here, the 6L90 offers the driver true manual control, with no automatic up shifts, and staged upshifts for incredibly fast shifts and maximum performance.
Other track-ready features of the ZL1 include:

An engine-oil cooler, identical to the system on the Corvette ZR1. The integral liquid-to-liquid system is so effective that both the manual and automatic transmissions are deemed to be fully track-capable with the standard factory-installed cooling package.
A rear-differential cooler, which pumps transmission fluid to a heat exchanger, reduces temperatures in the differential by more than 100 F.
A high-performance fuel system delivers fuel to the LSA engine under any performance driving condition. For example, the system features additional fuel pickups on the primary side, and the secondary fuel pickup is moved outboard for continuous fuel access during high-g cornering under low fuel conditions.
Magnetic Ride Control 3.0 adjusts damping 1,000 times per second
The Camaro ZL1 will feature the third-generation of Magnetic Ride Control (MRC).

MRC employs valve-less damping and Magneto-Rheological (MR) fluid technology. MR fluid is a suspension of iron particles in a synthetic fluid. When the system is activated, the particles are magnetized and aligned into fibrous structures, changing flow resistance. By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the damper, the system varies the suspension firmness to match the road and driving conditions.

“Traditional suspension systems at some point compromise ride quality for road-holding grip and body control,” said Oppenheiser. “With Magnetic Ride Control, we can offer customers the best of both worlds: A comfortable ride that makes the ZL1 appropriate as a daily driver and the incredibly precise body control that makes the ZL1 so enjoyable on the track.”

For the third-generation, MRC uses new twin-wire/dual-coil dampers at all four corners. The smaller dual-coil system – with one coil at either end of the damper – replaces the larger single-core design of the previous generation.

The new design allows even more precise control of the electrical current (and magnetic flux), allowing greater range between the softest setting for ride comfort and the firmest setting for track driving. The new dual-coil design also enables faster response, with damping levels now adjusted up to 1,000 times per second – about one adjustment per inch of vehicle travel at 60 mph – making the system exceptionally responsive to changing driving and road conditions.

There are three settings for MRC in the ZL1: Tour, Sport, and Track.

Exclusive Performance Traction Management for the race course, and the drag strip
The Camaro ZL1 will also offer Performance Traction Management (PTM) as standard equipment, which is exclusive to General Motors. First introduced on the Corvette ZR1, PTM is an advanced system that integrates magnetic ride control, launch control, traction control and electronic stability control, to enhance performance on the racetrack and drag strip.

For example, the launch control feature (manual transmission only) automatically modulates engine torque for the best possible acceleration without excessive wheel spin. When the driver pushes the throttle to the floor, the system holds a predetermined engine speed until the driver releases the clutch. Then, the system modulates engine torque 100 times per second to maximize the available traction. The system is capable of approaching a skilled driver’s best effort and repeats it consistently.

Similarly, on a road course, the driver can apply full throttle when exiting a corner and PTM will automatically manage acceleration dynamics to maximize exit speed based on available traction.

Five PTM performance levels or modes are available to accommodate the given ambient and track conditions, driver experience/vehicle familiarity and driver comfort levels. They include:

Mode 1 – Traction control set for wet conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
Mode 2 – Traction control set for dry conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
Mode 3 – Traction control set on Sport 1, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
Mode 4 – Traction control set on Sport 2, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
Mode 5 – Traction control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track. Launch control tuned for VHT-prepped drag strips.
“Like the Magnetic Ride Control, the Performance Traction Management system improves the ZL1 experience as a daily driver and on the track,” said Oppenheiser. “By offering five distinct modes of traction management, the driver can select what’s best for them based on their experience and the driving conditions. As a result, novice drivers will find the ZL1 is very enjoyable to drive, while expert drivers will find PTM supplements their driving skill without interfering with their intentions.”

JimmyH
09-09-11, 12:15 PM
And thanks to the V2 community, the first wave of ZL1 owners are going to have 100-150 hp worth of parts waiting in the garage before they even take delivery :burn:

M5eater
09-09-11, 12:34 PM
well, at least it's in the family I suppose. time for a pulley/tune/exhaust

smackdownCTSV
09-09-11, 12:39 PM
If they keep this at $50k, then it's going to be some serious competition for the GT500.

neuronbob
09-09-11, 01:11 PM
Given how easily this hp is achieved in the V with minor bolt ons, I sure hope so.

elphil
09-09-11, 01:19 PM
In addition to horse power and torque, it weighs 500 to 600 pounds less then the V.

GM-4-LIFE
09-09-11, 01:23 PM
Maybe the 2013 CTS-V will be packing the same amount of power. I can't imagine GM making two separate engines. It's way cheaper for them to make one engine for both cars and up the power on the CTS-V to take on the new M5. It only makes sense. Why not go for the magic 600 HP number, GM?

thebigjimsho
09-09-11, 01:24 PM
Diff coolers. F my life...

M5eater
09-09-11, 01:36 PM
Maybe the 2013 CTS-V will be packing the same amount of power. I can't imagine GM making two separate engines. It's way cheaper for them to make one engine for both cars and up the power on the CTS-V to take on the new M5. It only makes sense. Why not go for the magic 600 HP number, GM?
I wouldn't expect 580HP, but maybe a few more ponies, yes. I would be we would not receive; the improved flow filter, the eletric steering, the ''unique induction system'', the intercooler system, and the dual ‘bell mouth' inlet paths. All of those would require a major overhaul of the engine bay and steering systems. Who knows though, it's half-way through the model year, it certinally could use a refresh at this point.

JimmyH
09-09-11, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDtt-uXc58

JimmyH
09-09-11, 02:17 PM
In addition to horse power and torque, it weighs 500 to 600 pounds less then the V.

Are you talking about the ZL1 or the GT500?

For the ZL1 they stated a power to weight of 7.24. That puts it at 4199 lbs. Even the SS is just shy of 4000.

M5eater
09-09-11, 02:54 PM
Are you talking about the ZL1 or the GT500?

For the ZL1 they stated a power to weight of 7.24. That puts it at 4199 lbs. Even the SS is just shy of 4000.

I was going to just let that one go.. I can't see where they could remove 5-600 lbs. most of it is in the structure of the car. If anything it should have gained weight. which as you stated, it has.

garfin
09-09-11, 07:03 PM
I was going to just let that one go.. I can't see where they could remove 5-600 lbs. most of it is in the structure of the car. If anything it should have gained weight. which as you stated, it has.

The ZL1 is the recipient of some weight saving measures (carbon fibre hood, lightweight wheels etc.), but with all the extra content in the car over and above the SS, I think you can take it to the bank that the ZL1 will weigh 200-250 lbs more than the SS, which would put it not too far away from our Vs.

Best regards,

Elie

Club Malibu
09-09-11, 07:28 PM
i cant imagine how many ZL1s are going to be totaled within 3 months of release.

So true.

newcadman
09-09-11, 09:47 PM
Any former Camaro owners/ enthusiasts who now own a V who are seriously considering switching to the ZL1?

jb7952
09-09-11, 10:09 PM
Any former Camaro owners/ enthusiasts who now own a V who are seriously considering switching to the ZL1?

I think I'd be considered an enthusiast. I still have my' '68 (my dream car). I would love a Zl1, but I'd want a convertible if they make it. As far as switching, they're so different, I can't see switching one for the other. The car will be wicked, I'd love to have one - but I wouldn't give up my V for it.

Maybe I'll sell the '68 ;)

baabootoo
09-09-11, 11:33 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa. There's a car faster than mine! :) We still have a Cadillac though, so I'm not switching!

concorso
09-09-11, 11:46 PM
In addition to horse power and torque, it weighs 500 to 600 pounds less then the V.I dont think the Camaro SS weighs 500 lbs lighter then the Coupe. Curb weight of the SS is around 3900 lbs, is it not? The V Coupe is 4200, or 4250 IIRC. Even so, Id expect the ZL1 to be 150 lbs+ heavier over the SS. I dont think the ZL1 will be that much lighter then the V Coupe. It is coming with 305's tho...

Kluch
09-10-11, 02:16 AM
zL1 weight has not been officially released. I would have considered getting a zl1 but the interior of all camaro's is just horrible even though I like the look of the exterior. I'm happy with the more "classy" V.

b4z
09-10-11, 01:54 PM
500-600lbs lighter? it'll be over 4000lbs. But not as much as the V.

JimmyH
09-10-11, 01:56 PM
The Camaro is way too big to be a convertible. Even with all the extra braces they added, it still suffers from cowl shake. Not something I could live with on a performance car. The ZL1 would be an obese pig in convertible form.

Kluch
09-10-11, 07:58 PM
The Camaro is way too big to be a convertible. Even with all the extra braces they added, it still suffers from cowl shake. Not something I could live with on a performance car. The ZL1 would be an obese pig in convertible form.

And yet the rumors of a zl1 and v-coupe convertible live on! I say do it. The V looked awesome as a vert in that mock-up I saw on these boards awhile back. Not that I'd buy one, but I think it'd be a nice option.

JimmyH
09-10-11, 08:52 PM
I am not saying they won't do it. I am not saying they shouldn't. Just that I wouldn't buy one. I can tell you the camaro guys are upset they can't lower a vert because of the chassis braces.

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:32 AM
who cares about camaro enthusiasts?

smackdownCTSV
09-11-11, 06:12 AM

I was looking at the ZL1 before the V. Then I saw the V, couldn't wait, and fell in love. I might go to the ZL1 in the future since it'd be $20k less.

JimmyH
09-11-11, 07:06 AM
who cares about camaro enthusiasts?

You love me. You know you do. I am the apple of your eye.

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:39 PM
hmm...

JimmyH
09-11-11, 10:07 PM
I am the only one who puts up with your insolence yet I still love you :heart:

Jpjr
09-12-11, 12:18 AM
Although it doesn't mean much, I can guarantee that the V2 will get a power upgrade pitting it at or just ahead of the ZL1. You have to remember that we are dealing with a boosted motor and one only needs to add boost to erase any efficiency gain that the ZL1 has acheived through refined intake/larger engine bay/etc.

M5eater
09-12-11, 07:53 AM
Although it doesn't mean much, I can guarantee that the V2 will get a power upgrade pitting it at or just ahead of the ZL1. You have to remember that we are dealing with a boosted motor and one only needs to add boost to erase any efficiency gain that the ZL1 has acheived through refined intake/larger engine bay/etc.

Easier than N/A, maybe. However, nothing is easy when you're backing it with a 5year/100K warranty, and have all the bureaucracy of GM. It would not surprise me at all if the V2's power was not increased. They didn't increase it with the V1 back when BMW had 100HP on the CTS, so why bother with 4hp and still a precieved 51ft/lb disadvantage? The last generation CTS-V lasted 4 model years, and 2012 marks MY #4 for the V2 is what I'm saying.

Umrswimr
09-12-11, 02:34 PM
I for one am happy they are making this car. Camaro owners are FAAAR more likely to modify their vehicle than Caddy owners, which means more tuners. Plus, Camaro owners are more likely to be price sensitive, so the parts should be cheaper... All this bodes well for us V owners.

M5eater
09-12-11, 03:06 PM
I for one am happy they are making this car. Camaro owners are FAAAR more likely to modify their vehicle than Caddy owners, which means more tuners. Plus, Camaro owners are more likely to be price sensitive, so the parts should be cheaper... All this bodes well for us V owners.
honestly, they've made a lot of changes to the LSA in the ZL1. I'm not seeing a lot of advanges or cross-platform parts going on here that we don't already have because everything is so off the shelf anyway. It might help from a tuning/ knowing the limitis of the LSA perspective, but there's nothing different on the LSA from any other small block when you get right down to it, so there's already massive support in that respect there as well.
IMO, The only 'cheaper' parts we might see are;
1) springs for the Delphi shocks--IF-- they use the same P/N's, presumably they do as they're both 4200-4300lb cars, but the camaro might have stiffer rates or something.
2) lower & upper pullies-- should be the same between the two
3) 6L90E Transmission tuning &/or better tuning for them.
4) *maybe* rear-diff coolers finnaly?--assuming they're not different too.

everything else I don't see hapening. the Tremec is already in a billion cars, driveshafts are going to be different, the rear-ends are already beefy, Pistons/rods/rockers/valve springs for a 6.2 are not getting cheaper, neither are bigger superchargers. Ports for stock blowers are pretty much determined by the quality of work rather than the specific engine/part anyway. intecoolers are going to be different and there-for will not cross over, but regular plate/bar type cores are everywhere anyway, it's just inlet/outlet spacing and mounting points that makes them different.

translux
09-13-11, 01:05 AM
Can't wait to find the 1st usupecting ZL1 owner ;)

JimmyH
09-13-11, 12:39 PM
Fwiw the camaro suspension is too different for any adaptation of components to the ctsv.

M5eater
09-13-11, 12:44 PM
Fwiw the camaro suspension is too different for any adaptation of components to the ctsv.
I forgot about that for a second, Thanks.

thebigjimsho
09-13-11, 09:32 PM
The V naturally has a superior chassis and, even with the weight, should have no problems keeping up. Suspension-wise, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade to anything Camaro-ish...

M5eater
09-14-11, 07:30 AM
The V naturally has a superior chassis and, even with the weight, should have no problems keeping up. Suspension-wise, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade to anything Camaro-ish...

Is Sigma II superior to Zeta? Even though they mangled it down for the Camaro, and took away the near perfect 50/50 it still has a lot of australian touring car success. Sigma II is still Sigma I with some Zeta parts thrown in, granted we're talking about midsized versus full sized platforms, but I'm not so sure there's a big advantage going on there for either platform .

JimmyH
09-14-11, 05:47 PM
Zeta is a very very good large car platform. As a sports car platform not so much. This is why the new camaro is such a great touring car and why I bought one. It's not a good car for racing as I have discovered autocrossing it. But it is a perfect car for commuting. Even better than the cts. Its even quieter and smoother than my 09 cts4 was. Faster and ultimately better handling too. But it does lack that precision feel that the ctsv has. Its also why the new mustang walks all over it. But for me I will take the comfort it offers at this point in my life. Plus with snow tires or really good as tires it does great in inclement weather.

M5eater
09-14-11, 06:09 PM
Zeta is a very very good large car platform. As a sports car platform not so much. This is why the new camaro is such a great touring car and why I bought one. It's not a good car for racing as I have discovered autocrossing it. But it is a perfect car for commuting. Even better than the cts. Its even quieter and smoother than my 09 cts4 was. Faster and ultimately better handling too. But it does lack that precision feel that the ctsv has. Its also why the new mustang walks all over it. But for me I will take the comfort it offers at this point in my life. Plus with snow tires or really good as tires it does great in inclement weather.
I just realized that it's Ironic we're talking about a shrinked sedan touring car platform versus a sedan platform that was then shrinked down for touring car racing...

JFJr
09-14-11, 07:37 PM
Relax guys, the ZL1 Camaro is good for us, too, even when disregarding performance mods. It shows GM's performance credentials in perspective at the present time. The Camaro won't be significantly lighter than any current "V," but will exhibit engineering competence in the present market. When you think about the current Corvettes, the "V" and the ZL1 Camaro, what does that tell you? For me it tells me that the current GM crop is relevant and exciting.

As for the "V," of course it will have performance upgrades to compete with the German competitors that are now on the defensive.

Cool off and realize that we are in the golden age of high performance. It doesn't get any better than this for a high performance car guy. Take it from an old fart that's been around.

Jud

JimmyH
09-14-11, 09:26 PM
I just realized that it's Ironic we're talking about a shrinked sedan touring car platform versus a sedan platform that was then shrinked down for touring car racing...

:word:

JimmyH
09-21-11, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjy7vvH1Isk

OldRoadDawg
09-21-11, 08:23 PM
And with... Das automatikgetriebe

M5eater
09-21-11, 08:36 PM
sounds like......an auto?

OldRoadDawg
09-21-11, 08:51 PM
jawohl

garfin
09-22-11, 07:00 AM

Chevy is expecting that half of the ZL1 cars will be autos...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/16/chevy-expects-over-half-of-all-camaro-zl1-models-to-be-automatic/

Best regards,

Elie

M5eater
09-22-11, 07:27 AM
Chevy is expecting that half of the ZL1 cars will be autos...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/16/chevy-expects-over-half-of-all-camaro-zl1-models-to-be-automatic/

Best regards,

Elie

Yes, I know, and that's all fine. I just find it strange that the test videos were of the auto, on the ring. Not that I'm expecting they wouldn't test the auto on the ring, just cruious is all.

Nutz
09-22-11, 08:17 AM
I'm interested to see if the mufflers heard above will work on our cars, decent sound with likely no drone. I'm still surprised it didn't get the LS9, Chebby is being cheap on the hand-built vs. production-built decision. Camaro owners will always have to face the fact that they have a V2 motor in their ZL. Not exclusive enough appearance either in my book, should be one color availability, wheels are meh at best, it should have gotten the Corvette Centennial Cup wheels. I also wonder how long it will take to out-date this "late release" car, a Camaro body face-lift is not far in the future, Ford has already done it to the Mustang.

M5eater
09-22-11, 08:20 AM
I'm interested to see if the mufflers heard above will work on our cars, decent sound with likely no drone. I'm still surprised it didn't get the LS9, Chebby is being cheap on the hand-built vs. production-built decision. Camaro owners will always have to face the fact that they have a V2 motor in their ZL. Not exclusive enough appearance either in my book, should be one color availability, wheels are meh at best, it should have gotten the Corvette Centennial Cup wheels. I also wonder how long it will take to out-date this "late release" car, a Camaro body face-lift is not far in the future, Ford has already done it to the Mustang.
considering the deal the UAW just got, is it really so surprising?

garfin
09-22-11, 09:55 AM

I'm thinking the mufflers could possibly be made to fit, but incorporating all the electronics involved with the car's standard dual-mode exhaust might be a nightmare. I dunno...
Translux posted a great explanation of how the dual mode setup works on the 'Vet a while back:

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the Vette as the dual-mode has been around since the introduction of the C6 ZO6.

Sounds like a lot more is going on than just opening and closing a baffle.

Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation
The Exhaust Flow Control (EFC) System enhances engine performance. The system has 2 modes of operation:
• Normal
• Competition
Normal Mode
When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.
Competition Mode
When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.
The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.
The EFCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increased exhaust audibility.
The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

As far as the LS9 going into the ZL1 is concerned, keeping the cost down as much as is reasonably possible on this car is a priority for GM. Since Camaro customers tend to be a lot more price conscious than 'Vet drivers, I suspect that a good number of people will still balk at the price of the car, even though it is a very high content vehicle with superior performance compared to the GT500. If you wanted to use the price of the LS9 crate engine vs. the LSA's price there's a $7000 difference right there. (LS9 = $21000, LSA = $14,000)
...and then there's the issue of exclusivity that is very important to a lot of 'Vet owner.

Best regards,

Elie

JimmyH
09-22-11, 05:36 PM
Elie, didn't they say there was going to be a couple different wheel options on the ZL1? I know I have seen pictures of least two different styles.

JFJr
09-22-11, 07:32 PM
Enough of this cr*p, it's time for a run on the 'Ring with the best drivers who have the time to learn the manual transmission shift points. With the "V" sedan/coupe/wagon and ZL1, vs. the competition, let's see what happens. Sorry guys, drag racing times are not particularly relevant for this test other than to show the torque available for powering out of the turns.

Jud

garfin
09-22-11, 08:56 PM
Elie, didn't they say there was going to be a couple different wheel options on the ZL1? I know I have seen pictures of least two different styles.

As far as I know, the 2 wheels are the standard polished chrome wheels:

...with the option being the wheels from the SSX track car:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=234698&d=1303918454

If there are other options, I'm drawing a blank at this point.

Best regards,

Elie

garfin
09-22-11, 09:08 PM
Enough of this cr*p, it's time for a run on the 'Ring with the best drivers who have the time to learn the manual transmission shift points. With the "V" sedan/coupe/wagon and ZL1, vs. the competition, let's see what happens. Sorry guys, drag racing times are not particularly relevant for this test other than to show the torque available for powering out of the turns.

Jud

Patience, Grasshopper, patience... and I totally agree with your assessment of the significance of the drag racing numbers.
When the marketing gurus decide the timing is appropriate, all will be revealed.
I'm really hoping that more than a few people will be pleasantly surprised with the official performance numbers. We've already seen the video that's out there showing the ZL1 running around the 'Ring and I'm bustin' to see the official tiime! :cool2:

Best regards,

Elie

V-Love
09-23-11, 12:41 AM
All these new American cars taking on the Nurburgring is just great. We are building fast cars again. They are putting down incredible #'s. Now Caddy has to upgrade materials and get more luxurious. Soon, the Top Gear guys will have will have to surrender to the fact that we go fast and turn fast.

M5eater
09-23-11, 06:40 AM
All these new American cars taking on the Nurburgring is just great. We are building fast cars again. They are putting down incredible #'s. Now Caddy has to upgrade materials and get more luxurious. Soon, the Top Gear guys will have will have to surrender to the fact that we go fast and turn fast.

I don't believe I've seen them dispute the ZR1 and CTS-V are fast. The problem is, Cadillac's reputation in Europe is non-existent, they've had so much poor product, poor advertising and multiple re-launches that we're talking about as little as 14 staff running the European operation out of 40 dealers europe-wide. Wolfgang Schubert, managing director for the European operations was once quoted saying that the aim right now is to make the brand so exclusive that they would sell fewer cars than aston martin. Europe doesn't put up with products that can't compete, and although the CTS is a good step in the right direction, it's not cheap enough nor good enough to really overtake any E-class, A6 or 5 Series. Until that happens, we'll never see an amazing review from TGUK, they're still a TV-show that's designed to make money with advertising. You won't do that talking about a brand more rare than an Aston.

6speeder
09-23-11, 09:01 AM

Jud

And you think John Heinricy can't drive: Please. Enough of this try a manual tranny one with a real driver crap.
John Heinricy —Pioneer of Cadillac’s V-Series Program

Retired GM High Performance Vehicles Director
Recorded the fastest-ever lap time for a production sedan of 7:59:32 at Germany’s Nurburgring in the CTS-V
Has developed, tested and raced iconic cars for over 35 years
Participated in over 240 professional races
In a three-year ride with Cadillac he amassed three wins, 10 podium finishes and an amazing 35 top 10’s

Racing Accomplishments:
4 professional driver championships
11 SCCA National Championships
3 FIA World Speed Records
2001 President’s Cup recipient

I'll bet you that when Heinricy and crew raided the 'Ring they brought manual and auto tranny cars and the autos were quicker.

JimmyH
09-23-11, 07:19 PM
Autos will always be quicker anymore. They have gotten too fast for any manual to keep up. That does not mean for a second they are more fun to drive. I'll keep my three pedals.

thebigjimsho
09-23-11, 08:16 PM
That's crap. Autos are faster, maybe, on the upshift. On the downshift? Nah. And what's with the p00p grammar, Jimmeh?

JimmyH
09-24-11, 02:00 PM
You keep telling yourself that. Autos are faster. Plain and simple. As for auto vs manual you are preaching to the choir. You know me. I will ALWAYS take a good old standard over any form of auto they come up with.

As for grammarz blame tapatalk and the 2" keyboard.

6speeder
09-24-11, 03:01 PM
Gotta agree the manual is more fun. That's why I'm keeping my 07 Z06. But for my Caddy, I think the auto is more appropriate and just as fast if not more so.

JimmyH
09-24-11, 04:03 PM
If I get another DD, I am undecided between auto and manual. As nice as it is to have an auto (as long as I have a toy with a manual for those days I get the itch) I still get bored with the mindless commuting an automatic transmission inspires.

M5eater
09-24-11, 05:03 PM
If I get another DD, I am undecided between auto and manual. As nice as it is to have an auto (as long as I have a toy with a manual for those days I get the itch) I still get bored with the mindless commuting an automatic transmission inspires.

agreed. When I had the S4, the noise-pedal got more use than it does in the V2 or did in the G8.

JFJr
09-25-11, 10:04 AM
g
And you think John Heinricy can't drive: Please. Enough of this try a manual tranny one with a real driver crap.
John Heinricy —Pioneer of Cadillac’s V-Series Program

Retired GM High Performance Vehicles Director
Recorded the fastest-ever lap time for a production sedan of 7:59:32 at Germany’s Nurburgring in the CTS-V
Has developed, tested and raced iconic cars for over 35 years
Participated in over 240 professional races
In a three-year ride with Cadillac he amassed three wins, 10 podium finishes and an amazing 35 top 10’s

Racing Accomplishments:
4 professional driver championships
11 SCCA National Championships
3 FIA World Speed Records
2001 President’s Cup recipient

I'll bet you that when Heinricy and crew raided the 'Ring they brought manual and auto tranny cars and the autos were quicker.Have you seen the videos where he states the manual as his preference? And he also explains why he was driving an automatic on the 'Ring, too. We don't need to repeat that story for the umpteenth time, do we? Also, quicker and faster are 2 different concepts.

Matter of fact this would be a good "retirement" project for him.

6speeder
09-25-11, 04:46 PM
gHave you seen the videos where he states the manual as his preference? And he also explains why he was driving an automatic on the 'Ring, too. We don't need to repeat that story for the umpteenth time, do we? Also, quicker and faster are 2 different concepts.

Matter of fact this would be a good "retirement" project for him.

I haven't seen him explain why the record was set with an auto. Do tell or post a link. As for faster Vs. quicker, the manual car is faster in top speed but the auto is quicker; 0-60, quarter mile, and around the 'ring.

SPEED74V
10-07-11, 05:15 PM
The ZL1 seemed to run a pretty good time at Nurburgring. I think they were running a manual trans also from watching the video. I think they should get the V over there again to see what it really can do....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175148

neuronbob
10-07-11, 07:27 PM
That is a very respectable time. God Bless American Muscle!

Aurora40
10-07-11, 07:32 PM
What I think is most interesting about it, is the ZL1 comes on crappy Goodyear F1 Supercars. Imagine the car on some PS2's, PSS's, or even Cup tires. It ran a time similar to the C6 Z06 when shod with Goodyears. Obviously it has more power, but the Z06/Z07 vs ZR1 times, both on Cup tires, suggest more power at that point doesn't make a big difference.

mberisha
10-08-11, 06:11 AM
WOW! That's an amazing time....I've been around the 'Ring in a V1 in 9:13....I couldn't even imagine a sub 8:00....

BTW...check out 1:02 in the vid....he gets air over the lip at about ~135mph......sic!

6speeder
10-08-11, 08:35 AM
What I think is most interesting about it, is the ZL1 comes on crappy Goodyear F1 Supercars. Imagine the car on some PS2's, PSS's, or even Cup tires. It ran a time similar to the C6 Z06 when shod with Goodyears. Obviously it has more power, but the Z06/Z07 vs ZR1 times, both on Cup tires, suggest more power at that point doesn't make a big difference.
That Z06 time was from a standing start. Since then all times quoted are started at full speed. The Z06 would have been a good biq quicker from a roll.

mberisha
10-08-11, 09:06 AM
Quick question....was the ZL1 stock?

I couldn't' find in the article what kind of the tires, etcs that the lap was run on. Also.....I noticed a roll-cage and racing seats in the pics.....hmmmmmm.....?

Kluch
10-08-11, 09:20 AM
The zl1 is a beast, no doubt. Hopefully the next gen V will post similar numbers since it's sure to get similar upgrades.

Aurora40
10-08-11, 02:44 PM
That Z06 time was from a standing start. Since then all times quoted are started at full speed. The Z06 would have been a good biq quicker from a roll.
You sure about that? I thought the C6Z was the first car where GM started doing a flying lap vs the standing start they used before anyone cared about N-ring times. Maybe it was after that C6Z time, but I thought they started doing it with that run.

Quick question....was the ZL1 stock?

I couldn't' find in the article what kind of the tires, etcs that the lap was run on. Also.....I noticed a roll-cage and racing seats in the pics.....hmmmmmm.....?
Of course it's not "stock" because the car is still being developed. But they say it was run in the expected production configuration. I believe GM generally adds a cage/harness to their cars when they do this, as it's a safety improvement not a performance improvement. The car should be on Goodyear F1 Supercars, that is currently the tire they have stated will be on the ZL1.

Kluch
10-08-11, 09:31 PM
Some say there will be a higher performance tire option. If so, it may not have been run with those goodyears.

garfin
10-09-11, 10:21 AM
Some say there will be a higher performance tire option. If so, it may not have been run with those goodyears.
Looks as though there may be a little confusion as to which F1 Supercar tires the ZL1 will be shod with...

Goodyear manufactures 2 different tires that carry the "F1 Supercar" nomenclature. The ZL1 will come from the factory with the F1 Supercar G:2 tire (generation 2)

Goodyear continues to offer the original F1 Supercar tire that has been available for years.

Tirerack classifies the original F1 Supercar tire as a "Maximum Performance" summer tire, but classifies the new gen 2 F1 Supercar G:2 as a higher category "Extreme Performance" summer tire.

It seems that the criticism of the newer version is that it's very much a track-oriented tire made with a compound that needs to be heated up to achieve optimum traction - which is great for track days, but may not offer the best traction for every day driving on the street.

Best regards,

Elie

mberisha
10-09-11, 01:44 PM
You sure about that? I thought the C6Z was the first car where GM started doing a flying lap vs the standing start they used before anyone cared about N-ring times. Maybe it was after that C6Z time, but I thought they started doing it with that run.

Of course it's not "stock" because the car is still being developed. But they say it was run in the expected production configuration. I believe GM generally adds a cage/harness to their cars when they do this, as it's a safety improvement not a performance improvement. The car should be on Goodyear F1 Supercars, that is currently the tire they have stated will be on the ZL1.

Ok....then comparisons really mean nothing.....since the times of all the other cars are stock.....

BTW...totally off topic....but just got back from the 'Ring....an AMAZING cool day...49 degrees....my V ran GREAT!

M5eater
10-10-11, 07:13 AM
Also.....I noticed a roll-cage and racing seats in the pics.....hmmmmmm.....?
If anything, the car weigh'd more than a regular ZL1 will, I didn't see any chassis reinforcment going on there, I only saw a typical roll-cage. Which I would like to have if I'm going full-max in a tail-happy muscle car on a 13mile road course.

JimmyH
10-10-11, 01:19 PM
It seems that the criticism of the newer version is that it's very much a track-oriented tire made with a compound that needs to be heated up to achieve optimum traction - which is great for track days, but may not offer the best traction for every day driving on the street.

fwiw, the original version is not much of a street tire either. Many of us V1 owners got less life out of them than we would have with an R-compound tire.

mberisha
10-10-11, 05:37 PM
If anything, the car weigh'd more than a regular ZL1 will, I didn't see any chassis reinforcment going on there, I only saw a typical roll-cage. Which I would like to have if I'm going full-max in a tail-happy muscle car on a 13mile road course.

I agree about the safety factor.....however...for the lap times to truly be relative w/the other stock 'Ring times....the car no kidding has to be stock.

The cage may add weight.....but it may also add some body/chassis rigidity....not sure if it hurts or helps the time....but the lap time isn't relative if the ZL1 isn't stock.:horse:

JimmyH
10-24-11, 11:13 AM
Some more specs released today:

OFFICIAL SPECS:

Wheelbase - 112.3
Length - 190.4
Height - 54.2
Front Track - 63.7
Rear Track - 63.7

Weight - 4120 pound
Weight distribution: 51/49

Compression ratio 9.1:1

HP 580 (427) @ 6000 SAE certified
Torque 556 (754) @ 4200 SAE certified

Exhaust - Cast stainless steel (exhaust manifolds), stainless steel with active valves and quad 3.5" bright tips

COLORS:

Black
Ashen Gray
Imperial Blue Metallic
Inferno Orange Metallic
Rally Yellow
Silver Ice Metallic
Summit White
Victory Red
Crystal Red Tintcoat

WHEEL OPTIONS:

ZL1 offers two 20-inch wheel options, both tested and engineered to the highest standards.

The first wheel option is a 10-spoke design

Standard 10-spoke wheel is black with a low-gloss clear coat, forged alum and has the CAMARO logo.

The other wheel option is a 5-spoke design:

Forged Aluminum 5-spoke 20-inch wheels (20" x 10" front / 20" x 11" rear)
Polished face with a high-gloss clearcoat.
These wheels are 11 lbs lighter than the current 2SS model wheels.

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR/TRANSMISSION:

Exterior:
Forged aluminum wheels (as listed above)
Exposed weave Carbon Fiber hood insert (option). ** Standard insert is painted black
Power Sunroof (option)
Stripe package (option)

Transmission:
Six speed manual is standard
Six-speed automatic with TAPshift steering wheel controls is optional.

Interior:
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob - standard
Sueded microfiber interior package

OTHER DETAILS:
Four-pack auxiliary guages (with boost readout)

Also- Standard...

Alloy pedal covers
6-way power driver and passenger seats
Heated leather high-performance seats with microfiber suede inserts
ZL1 sill plates

Bluetooth for select phones
Boston Acoustics premium nine-speaker system
Rear camera display in mirror
Rear park assist
USB port
PDIM (Preferred Device Interface Module)
XM Satellite with 3 trial months

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178332

concorso
10-24-11, 02:37 PM
I haven't seen him explain why the record was set with an auto. Do tell or post a link. As for faster Vs. quicker, the manual car is faster in top speed but the auto is quicker; 0-60, quarter mile, and around the 'ring.He had been driving the auto during testing, and being a racer, it made more sense to run the auto that he was used to, instead of the manual he wasnt.

concorso
10-24-11, 02:39 PM
Does 6 way power seats mean no lumbar adjustment, or does it mean it will manual lumbar adjustment?

concorso
10-24-11, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking the mufflers could possibly be made to fit, but incorporating all the electronics involved with the car's standard dual-mode exhaust might be a nightmare. I dunno...
Translux posted a great explanation of how the dual mode setup works on the 'Vet a while back:

As far as the LS9 going into the ZL1 is concerned, keeping the cost down as much as is reasonably possible on this car is a priority for GM. Since Camaro customers tend to be a lot more price conscious than 'Vet drivers, I suspect that a good number of people will still balk at the price of the car, even though it is a very high content vehicle with superior performance compared to the GT500. If you wanted to use the price of the LS9 crate engine vs. the LSA's price there's a $7000 difference right there. (LS9 = $21000, LSA = $14,000)
...and then there's the issue of exclusivity that is very important to a lot of 'Vet owner.

Best regards,

ElieI always thought the Vette mufflers operated strictly by vacuum. Thanks for the information. It would be nice if Cadillac would offer this on the V, seeing as the V is similar to the mufflers, able to offer 2 very different personalities. These mufflers, optional natural leather interior, and different gear ratios would be the only extras Id want in the V.

Houdini
10-24-11, 03:11 PM
I'd consider the zl1 if it had HID, a nice dvd/nav/infocenter unit, and cooled seats.

JimmyH
10-24-11, 05:20 PM
yes, no, and no.

there is an aftermarket adapter out there that allows you to install an aftermarket double din head unit. The adapter has all the hvac controls built into it with an LCD screen. I know some people will probably say "I don't want a cheap aftermarket setup" but for the $2k GM would charge for an oem nav, you can get the adapter, headunit and installation with warranty. And it will function alot better than oem nav units.

M5eater
10-24-11, 08:24 PM
So it's shaved a hundred pounds off the V.. that's rather underwhelming to say the least. I knew it wasen't exactly a light sport coupe, but to be so close to a luxury mid-sized sedan? ...:cookoo:

Houdini
10-24-11, 08:29 PM
:yeah:

JimmyH
10-24-11, 08:54 PM
zeta was never intended to be a sports car platform. I still am not sure why they used it for the Camaro. Sigma is far more athletic. But probably more expensive too. Anyway, there is still a Z28 in the rumor mill. With a rumored diet plan.

garfin
10-25-11, 06:59 AM
zeta was never intended to be a sports car platform. I still am not sure why they used it for the Camaro. Sigma is far more athletic. But probably more expensive too. Anyway, there is still a Z28 in the rumor mill. With a rumored diet plan.

Yes, Zeta was designed as the platform on which all the GM RWD sedans were to be made on - except they really never happened in North America. Zeta is a great platform that has a lot of flexibility, including the ability to move the position of the firewall, allowing for a lower cowl height - hence the "sports car" justification. Camaro was built on Zeta II (still less expensive than Sigma) and incorporated the lower cowl height (at least lower than the sedans). Also, Camaro was built on Zeta in order to recoup some of the engineering costs of the platform. It is the only car GM builds in N.A. that rides on the Zeta platform...

As far as a Z/28 is concerned, I would be surprised to see Chevy bring a 5th Gen Z/28 to market, given all the hype now for the ZL1 and the relatively short amount of time left in the life cycle of the 5th Gen car. I'm thinking GM will sleep easy at night thinking the ZL1 can successfully compete with the GT500 and the relatively small numbers of the Boss 302 Ford will produce. At the same time, GM has way-y-y too much equity in the Z/28 name to let it fall by the wayside, I'd like to think that the marketing gurus might be readying a 6th Gen Z/28, which will be based on the smaller and lighter Alpha platform for an intro that is probably a couple of years down the road. That car would be more in keeping with what the concept of the original Z/28 was.

Best regards,

Elie

Houdini
10-25-11, 07:59 AM
I'd consider the zl1 if it had HID, a nice dvd/nav/infocenter unit, and cooled seats.

LOL, just realized I meant to say HUD, not HID.

JimmyH
10-25-11, 12:59 PM
Yes, Zeta was designed as the platform on which all the GM RWD sedans were to be made on - except they really never happened in North America. Zeta is a great platform that has a lot of flexibility, including the ability to move the position of the firewall, allowing for a lower cowl height - hence the "sports car" justification. Camaro was built on Zeta II (still less expensive than Sigma) and incorporated the lower cowl height (at least lower than the sedans). Also, Camaro was built on Zeta in order to recoup some of the engineering costs of the platform. It is the only car GM builds in N.A. that rides on the Zeta platform...

As far as a Z/28 is concerned, I would be surprised to see Chevy bring a 5th Gen Z/28 to market, given all the hype now for the ZL1 and the relatively short amount of time left in the life cycle of the 5th Gen car. I'm thinking GM will sleep easy at night thinking the ZL1 can successfully compete with the GT500 and the relatively small numbers of the Boss 302 Ford will produce. At the same time, GM has way-y-y too much equity in the Z/28 name to let it fall by the wayside, I'd like to think that the marketing gurus might be readying a 6th Gen Z/28, which will be based on the smaller and lighter Alpha platform for an intro that is probably a couple of years down the road. That car would be more in keeping with what the concept of the original Z/28 was.

Best regards,

Elie

You make a good point. The only problem is all the rumors are pointing to an alpha that is going to be every bit as heavy as the zeta. They would have to make extensive use of high-strength steel, aluminum, maybe even carbon fiber. Of course, the price increase may be feasible on a Z28. I am sure there are plenty who would pay $50k for a track-ready Camaro, if it trumps the Boss.

concorso
10-25-11, 02:00 PM
I wish theyd make a track ready V Coupe! Oh wait, they did. :)

mrl859
10-25-11, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't a normally aspirated, lighter Z28 be a perfect Boss 302 fighter?

JimmyH
10-25-11, 06:46 PM
Which is why there are rumors of a Z28. But Elie is probably right, we likely won't see one for a couple years. And the Camaro will probably be on the new platform by then.

jft69z
10-26-11, 08:10 AM
LOL, just realized I meant to say HUD, not HID.

According to the Chevy ZL1 website, the HUD will be on the car. It's mentioned in the 'auxiliary gages' part of the features page.

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 06:25 AM
In case any of you have missed this (probably old news for most of you) The New Camaro ZL1 did and awesome lap time or 7min 41.27 at Nurburgring. Since selling my V this may be something i may look at in the spring when it comes out and probably 20K less than the V. But.... I liked the lux feel of the V and if that is worth 20K then ... with this this Negative lift technology which provides down force and better handling of the Camaro can certainly be applied to the V and beat the crap out of the M5.
Come on Cadillac let's whoop some butt.:gungrin:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111110/CARNEWS/111119987?utm_source=DailyDrive20111111&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle3&utm_content=20111110-Chevrolet_Camaro_ZL1_hits_the_wind_tunnel,_gains_d ownforce__Video&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Houdini
11-14-11, 10:04 AM
Great time. I wonder if it was in completely stock specs/tires?

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 10:06 AM
Well would hope that this will be the set up that goes on sale in the spring. Some bragging rights for sure.

GM-4-LIFE
11-14-11, 10:33 AM
Great lap time! That's almost 20 seconds faster than our Vs. Doubt the Shelby GT500 can do it that fast.

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 10:45 AM
7.40 is faster that the ZO6 you kidding me?? GT500 pah....
See here http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 10:56 AM
Here's another article.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1109_2012_chevy_camaro_zl1_makes_580_horsepower/
you can't have a Camaro with more horses than the V... yo what's up with that? And probably in the lower to mid $50s cost to be competitive with the GT 500 pricing. This thing is gonna have all the goodies we all paid $70k for.....

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 10:58 AM
And this one...http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-ar104765.html

smackdownCTSV
11-14-11, 11:04 AM
Here's another article.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1109_2012_chevy_camaro_zl1_makes_580_horsepower/
you can't have a Camaro with more horses than the V... yo what's up with that? And probably in the lower to mid $50s cost to be competitive with the GT 500 pricing. This thing is gonna have all the goodies we all paid $70k for.....

But it's still a Chevy. And we have a Cadillac. The Cadillac of Cadillac's!

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 11:13 AM
But it's still a Chevy. And we have a Cadillac. The Cadillac of Cadillac's!
then they need to prove it AGAIN. And prove to me why i need to spend another $20k for same ol' V.. Not that the 09 V was not outstanding but NOW....
Cadillac, you say you are the standard of the world? OK Prove it

smackdownCTSV
11-14-11, 11:25 AM
then they need to prove it AGAIN. And prove to me why i need to spend another $20k for same ol' V.. Not that the 09 V was not outstanding but NOW....
Cadillac, you say you are the standard of the world? OK Prove it

You don't have to tell me. I expected more from Cadillac. Not $3k option rocking seats, $1k creaking sunroof, "normal" supercharger rattling, differential chatter, or almost 20 codes from a yaw rate sensor. I am not pleased either. I'd save the $20k and go with a Chevy and expect all of the above problems.

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 11:55 AM
You don't have to tell me. I expected more from Cadillac. Not $3k option rocking seats, $1k creaking sunroof, "normal" supercharger rattling, differential chatter, or almost 20 codes from a yaw rate sensor. I am not pleased either. I'd save the $20k and go with a Chevy and expect all of the above problems.
That's a....right on!
Hmmmm. what i could do to that ZL1 with $20K?

mberisha
11-14-11, 11:58 AM
There's some some talk in another thread.....the Camaro was not "showroom stock" like the V was when it did it's lap a few years back.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/242159-zl1-runs-7-41-27-nurburgring.html

1-2-N-V
11-14-11, 12:13 PM
The V Probably can't hang. The Camaro has 24 more horses and has not had the aerodynamics engineering the ZL1 has had.
he only think not stock i am assuming to be the safety cage but i also thought the V Heinricy was driving had a roll cage also???

GM-4-LIFE
11-14-11, 01:46 PM
The V is way nicer than any Chevy...come on guys.

JimmyH
11-14-11, 08:32 PM
I don't know why you guys care. Since when does a 'ring time mean anything more than a lap time on some track in Germany?

1-2-N-V
11-15-11, 06:28 AM
I don't know why you guys care. Since when does a 'ring time mean anything more than a lap time on some track in Germany?

Because it's bragging rights and shows that the American engineers are world class engineers and they can build a car that can compete. Would you rather by a 550 HP mustang GT 500 that is unproven on the track or do you want a ZL1 that has proven it can handle, brake and accelerate faster than some Supercars? Racing sells cars. Remember the old adage race on Sunday sell on Monday? This is becoming the norm here testing at the ring. If you can't build a car that can tame the 'Green Hell" then you might as well just build Camrys or Sonatas or something. GM has to prove they can build a car that can compete with the world or lose sales to the competition. As for our Vs? Well I think we will see some interesting developments in the next generation. I am sticking around for that. We'll see If the extra $20-25K will be worth me ponying up for the next CTSV.....

CrystalRed11
11-15-11, 09:15 AM
For Release: Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011, 9 a.m. EST
Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,095
DETROIT – The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9
seconds, and can reach a top speed of 184 mph. Starting at $54,095, including Performance
Traction Management and Magnetic Ride suspension, the ZL1 delivers supercar levels of
performance and technology for the price of a sports car.

“From the original Camaro to the current Corvette ZR1, Chevrolet has a long history of
delivering world-class cars that outperformed competitors at several times the price,” said Chris
Perry, vice president, global Chevrolet marketing and strategy. “The ZL1 is no exception. There
are very few cars at any price that can match the power, features, and track-capability of the
Camaro ZL1.”

The Camaro ZL1 Coupe features a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $54,095,
excluding delivery fees and taxes. For that price, the ZL1 compares favorably to much more
expensive cars:

Base price Horsepower Torque Magnetic Ride
Camaro ZL1 $54,095 580 556 Standard

Audi R8 GT $196,800 560 398 Standard

Maserati GranTurismo $122,800 405 339 Not available

Mercedes SLS AMG $185,750 565 479 Not available

Supercar Performance
The heart of the Camaro ZL1 is a supercharged 6.2L engine is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower
(432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm). – making it the most-powerful production Camaro
ever.
The LSA features a Roots-style blower with an efficient four-lobe rotor set and compact
intercooler The ZL1 also features a standard dual-mode exhaust system, with vacuum-actuated
valves in the exhaust pipes for a refined exhaust note at low speeds as well as a free-flowing
system for peak performance.
Power is delivered to the rear wheels through either a six-speed manual or automatic
transmission. With either transmission, the Camaro ZL1 delivers performance that rivals some
of the world’s fastest supercars:

Manual Automatic

0 – 60 mph (from rolling start) 4.0 seconds 3.9 seconds

1/4-mile (from a rolling start) 12.1 sec at 119 mph 12.0 sec at 119 mph

Top speed 180 mph 184 mph

Max lateral grip 1.0 g 1.0 g

“With 0 to 60 taking less than four seconds, the acceleration of the ZL1 is just awesome,” said
Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer, “but horsepower is only half of the story. The ZL1’s
most significant measurement of performance is lapping the Nurburgring in 7:41.27. That’s
astounding for a 2+2 coupe, and a great testament to the acceleration, braking, grip, and
balance of the Camaro ZL1. It is the well-rounded performance of the Camaro ZL1 that will set
the bar for the sports-car segment.”

Exclusive, track-capable technologies
To deliver that well-rounded performance, the Camaro ZL1 comes standard with several trackcapable
technologies that are exclusive to the sports car segment.
For example, the Camaro ZL1 is the first sports car to feature the third-generation of Magnetic
Ride. This advanced suspension system employs valve-less damping and Magneto-Rheological
(MR) fluid technology to varies the suspension firmness to match the road and driving
conditions.
“Traditional suspension systems at some point compromise ride quality for road-holding grip
and body control,” said Oppenheiser. “With Magnetic Ride Control, we can offer customers the
best of both worlds: A comfortable ride that makes the ZL1 appropriate as a daily driver and the
incredibly precise body control that makes the ZL1 so enjoyable on the track.”
Also standard on the Camaro ZL1 is Performance Traction Management (PTM), which is
exclusive to General Motors. First introduced on the Corvette ZR1, PTM is an advanced system
that integrates magnetic ride control, launch control, traction control, electronic stability control
and electric power steering response to enhance performance. For example, the launch control
feature (manual transmission only) automatically modulates engine torque for the best-possible
acceleration without excessive wheel spin. When the driver pushes the throttle to the floor, the
system holds a predetermined engine speed until the driver releases the clutch. Then, the
system modulates engine torque 100 times per second to maximize the available traction.
Similarly, on a road course, the driver can apply full throttle when exiting a corner and PTM will
automatically manage acceleration dynamics to maximize exit speed based on available
traction.
In addition, the Camaro ZL1 has been engineered to be track-capable from the factory,
including a rear-differential cooler, an integrated engine- and transmission-oil cooler, and brakecooling
ducts as standard equipment. As such, the ZL1 offers many technologies and features
not available on the Ford Shelby GT500:

Camaro ZL1 GT500

Magnetic Ride Standard Not available

Performance Traction Management Standard Not available

Factory engine and transmission coolers Standard Dealer-installed option

Factory brake cooling ducts Standard Dealer-installed option

Factory rear differential cooler Standard Dealer-installed option

Additional features and options
The interior of the Camaro ZL1 features standard leather seating surfaces with sueded
microfiber inserts, and heated, powered-adjustable front seats. Standard technologies include a
nine-speaker Boston Acoustics® audio system; USB and Bluetooth connectivity; and rear-park
assist with a rear-view camera display integrated in the center rear-view mirror.

The Camaro ZL1 is available with six options:
#1048696; Six-speed automatic transmission with TapShift controls is $1,185
#1048696; 20-inch, bright aluminum wheel package is $470
#1048696; Power sunroof is $900
#1048696; Stripe package is $470
#1048696; Exposed-weave carbon fiber hood insert is $600
#1048696; The suede package, including sueded microfiber accents on the steering wheel, shift knob, and shift boot is $500

The Camaro ZL1 Coupe will go on sale in the spring of 2012, as a 2012 model. The Camaro
ZL1 Convertible will go on sale in the summer of 2012, as a 2013 model. Pricing for the Camaro
ZL1 Convertible will be announced later.

smackdownCTSV
11-15-11, 10:00 AM
Why did you delete my post this time? WTF?!

JimmyH
11-15-11, 01:04 PM
There isn't a single deleted post anywhere in this thread. I simply merged all the ZL1 threads into one and put all important info in the title.

JimmyH
11-15-11, 01:09 PM
Ok, I see what happened. I merged the threads at 8:54. The redirect shows you posted at 8:55. So you must have had the thread open in your browser, and submitted your post after I merged it. At that point, your post got lost. I don't know of any way of getting it back, so you will have to repost it. Sorry about that.

Houdini
11-15-11, 01:28 PM
Jimmeh banned!

JimmyH
11-15-11, 03:40 PM
:hide:

Kluch
11-15-11, 11:09 PM
Similar performance numbers in 0-60 and quarter mile compared to our V's despite the increased horsepower and torque.

Looks like the 2013 GT500 will smoke us all though. Doesn't matter to me. I bought my car because it was a fast cadillac, not because it was the fastest car on the road.

mberisha
11-16-11, 05:02 AM

HAHAHAHahhaha...Jimmy! You are funny!

JimmyH
11-16-11, 01:26 PM
^says the guy who gets to go 'ring-ing whenever he wants :D

Kluch
11-17-11, 02:10 AM
HAHAHAHahhaha...Jimmy! You are funny!

Curious, how much does time on the 'ring cost?

4DR_ZR1
11-17-11, 08:10 AM

Here is an informative article about the Nürburgring and an explanation why the Corvette engineers use it for testing. I feel sure the same thought process applies to Cadillac and Camaro development engineers.

http://www.vetteweb.com/lifestyle/vemp_1111_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_nurburgring/index.html

mberisha
11-17-11, 02:34 PM
^says the guy who gets to go 'ring-ing whenever he wants :D

I guess you got me there!!!!:yup:

mberisha
11-17-11, 02:47 PM

A lap is 24 Euro......about $34 dollars.

You can see in the pic the other lap prices......

http://img003.picture2life.net/13905565/The_Ring_Entrance_Sign_original_medium.jpg

JimmyH
11-17-11, 04:45 PM
I just wonder how much money GM spends maintaining a presence near nurburg. They have offices, labs, staff, etc etc. They should put all that money into development here in the states. A racetrack is a racetrack. Plenty of good ones here.

mberisha
11-17-11, 05:01 PM
I just wonder how much money GM spends maintaining a presence near nurburg. They have offices, labs, staff, etc etc. They should put all that money into development here in the states. A racetrack is a racetrack. Plenty of good ones here.

It has got to be a fortune.....if I remember correctly.....they are squeezed between the Aston and Ferrari test centers.....

http://img003.picture2life.net/13187696/IMG_0724_original_medium.jpg

http://img003.picture2life.net/11306914/YokoHama_Ring_Test_Center_original_medium.jpg

JimmyH
11-17-11, 06:59 PM
The only reason for them to have a test center there is to give the car rags "'Ring times" to write about. PR nonsense.

Kluch
11-18-11, 12:22 AM
34 bucks for a lap around the ring! Where in the US can you do a famous road course without spending at least a thousand bucks for the day? Unless you go as part of an auto club day...

mberisha
11-18-11, 02:14 AM
34 bucks for a lap around the ring! Where in the US can you do a famous road course without spending at least a thousand bucks for the day? Unless you go as part of an auto club day...

True dat.....seriously...I would pay $150:canttalk: a lap...that is HOW incredible the course is.

Just the fact that you are in traffic with Porsche GT3s, Lotus, GTRs etc.....is awesome!

Not to mention all the bullshitting in the paddocks with the million dollar cars....and dude's in track race cars are coming over to check out a stock 2006 CTS-V.....

JimmyH
11-18-11, 09:40 AM

Because in the US, the track day fee is mostly insurance. At the ring, if you break it, you bought it. Including yourself.

smackdownCTSV
11-18-11, 10:39 AM
Damn Germany has the roads too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAuoOjUKk_U

smackdownCTSV
11-18-11, 10:41 AM
Because in the US, the track day fee is mostly insurance. At the ring, if you break it, you bought it. Including yourself.

Don't they have universal health care?

JimmyH
11-18-11, 04:44 PM
um, I was thinking liability insurance

mberisha
11-18-11, 05:19 PM
um, I was thinking liability insurance

yeah.....that.....

JimmyH
11-19-11, 03:40 PM
has Germany been infected yet by America's propensity towards litigation?

mberisha
11-20-11, 05:22 AM
has Germany been infected yet by America's propensity towards litigation?

Not that I've seen........