: 2005 sts v6 won't start

CadillacRon
09-08-11, 10:26 PM
Good evening I have a black 2005 STS v6 1SC w/99k miles. I stopped driving it because I recently heard the dreaded "rattle" on start up. Well one day I went to check on it and tried to start it all I got a was a click. The start-up procedure would continue (the instrument panel would turn on) and the only indicator lights that would stay on is the security light and the battery light. The accessory function and everything works, it just clicks on start up. I've done research, and based on my symptoms, I think it could be the starter. I have a pretty newish battery (about 8 mos old...Is the security light being on an indicator of something worse than the starter?? I wanna make sure before I put money into the starter.

C&C
09-09-11, 05:39 AM
I would have the battery checked first (even though fairly new); rule out the battery first.

CadillacRon
09-09-11, 09:29 AM
I took the battery to autozone, twice and they said it needed to be recharged. So after they charged it, I put it back in the car, connected the terminal, the horn starts honking, and I turn it off with my key fob. Try to start it...just a click. That's what led me to the starter. I just wanna make sure I'm on the right path in diagnosing this issue

KRSTS
09-09-11, 10:23 AM
Sound like the battery has a bad cell. Even if you charge it, it still won't start these cars. Have someone load test it.

C&C
09-09-11, 11:27 AM
If you have a voltmeter you can load test the starter (with the help of a second person); with meter attached, engine off, you'll typically see around 12.8volts, then while trying to start, check the voltage, if it drops like a rock (say under twelve volts but more likely around 10.5v) you're more than likely dropping a cell, which equals bad battery.

EChas3
09-09-11, 08:59 PM
Try jump-starting it.

orange57
09-10-11, 01:39 AM
I second the battery. I've had batteries go out after 3 months before. Of course on the other side I also had one last like 8.5 years :)

ddalder
09-10-11, 02:01 AM
Ditto on the battery. This should be load tested and you can't properly do this unless the battery is charged first. If the battery can't be charged, you've found your culprit. What you are describing is completely typical of a battery problem in these cars.

CadillacRon
09-10-11, 12:14 PM
Cool...I really appreciate the help, I'll try to jump-start it this weekend and see what's up.

CadillacRon
09-12-11, 07:44 AM
Well I used a battery charger and same result...a click. when the display comes on, the voltage read 12.3. it's weird when I press the button, it sounds like a pop....then a delay and then the insturment panel lights up.

ddalder
09-12-11, 10:17 AM
Okay, so if you're going to properly test this battery, it should be removed from the car, charged and load tested with the proper equipment. Still sounds like a bad battery so far.

CadillacRon
09-12-11, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your patience...this is my first time asking for help. Where can I go to get it load tested, or can I do this myself.

ddalder
09-12-11, 10:29 AM
Most auto parts stores are able to do this for you (including Autozone). After Autozone charged this for you, did they load test it to make sure it was okay? Where/who replaced the battery for you 8 months ago? I would be inclined to approach them in the event this might be warranty.

CadillacRon
09-12-11, 02:53 PM
I bought the battery from autozone, and replaced it myself. I don't recall them load testing it. They just said it just needed to be recharged, charged it and gave it back. When I brought it back they said the same thing. I definitely asked him if my battery was under warranty, so I think I'm good with that. I'll take it to them when I get off work. I'm frustated because I miss my car! Imagine going from a STS to an '02 honda accord...it still has a cassette tape deck! ugh!

ddalder
09-12-11, 03:51 PM
Based on what you're saying, I'm thinking they decided it needed to be charged and assumed that since it was new, there was no other problem. On the positive side, your Honda has a cassette player. At least you're not hunting down old 8-Tracks to play ;)

CadillacRon
09-12-11, 09:21 PM
Okay...so I brought the battery to autozone, and they pretty much quoted ddadler...it's brand new...I asked him to load test it and he looked at me like I was nuts. So of course the battery is fine, and I put it back in the car, and of course, nothing. I'm at my wits end, I even hammered the starter and still nothing!!!

ddalder
09-12-11, 11:01 PM
At this point it seems you have very few options. If it can't be boosted, tow it to a GM dealership. I'm very curious to know what they find. I'm still not sold on what Autozone is telling you, but they may still prove me wrong.

Just don't hammer on any more components. Get it checked first and see what's up.

CadillacRon
10-21-11, 10:34 AM
So...after taking it here and there about the battery...turns out the ECU (or ECM) was shot...currently being repaired as we speak, mechanic bought a new ECM, and taking it to dealer to reprogram.