: Wax and applications...

delta_chi_03
09-08-11, 06:10 PM
Paranoid about getting those swirl marks in the paint in time. Is the Mother's Powerball the way to go, or is there something better that you use? Also, I've always used turtle wax emerald series before, but what is your opinion for the best wax out there? Thanks for the help in advance.

cdog533
09-08-11, 06:20 PM
There's really no way to keep swirl marks away permanently. You need to polish the car 1-2 times a season to remove swirls.

I typically use Optimum Polish (http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Hyper-Spray-Polish-P477/18-oz-S1/), applied by a PC 7424, followed by a wax or sealant of your choice. Many people are using Blackfire Wet Diamond (http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Wet-Diamond-P205/16-oz-S1/) and I like the Dodo Juice wax (http://www.detailedimage.com/Dodo-Juice-M35/Purple-Haze-Soft-Wax-P237/250-ml-S1/).

smackdownCTSV
09-08-11, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't use the Powerball on anything else other than the wheels and tips.

cruiser68
09-08-11, 07:17 PM
I'm a Zaino addict. Their Z5 works great on my black and it fill minor swirls very well. Also lasts a good 6 months if you use several coats. If you have significant swirls, you need to polish first to get a clean start. I use a Porter Cable 7424 and I like Menzedrna for polish. They just changed their lineup so not sure which of the newer I would use. I used the old Intense Polish.

delta_chi_03
09-08-11, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. My coupe hasn't had anything touch it besides a laser wash, so no swirls yet...just wanted to start this waxing thing on the right foot.

samgar
09-08-11, 07:48 PM
I am Zaino addict as well. It takes time and effort to apply, however the reward is there. I would not use the Power Ball on your paint.

Good luck and be careful of commercial laser washes as sometimes the detergent they use will remove wax.

Sam

elphil
09-08-11, 08:00 PM
I'm also a Zaino fan. In addition to their many products for car care they recently came out with a finish sealant. I've used it and it goes on in about 5 or 10 minutes. It's suppose to be good for about 9 months.

There are many fine products out there for polishing and protecting the finish. You just need to do a little research. Zaino's wed site has a lot of information on how to use their products which is very helpful.

http://www.zainostore.com/

concorso
09-08-11, 08:31 PM
Read on one of the many detailing websites about how to properly wash a car. Washing the paint is when most of that kind of damage happens.

www.autopia.org
www.detailingbliss.com
www.detailingworld.co.uk

embassured
09-08-11, 10:16 PM
Since I can't stay away from the color black and because my love for detailing seems to be exponentially fading with increased age, I have turned to Turtle Wax ICE, which doesn't leave any white residue. Any detailing a I do is done by hand - no machine work for me by anyone.

Regarding swirls, I use Meguiars ultimate compound polish as, and where, needed.

I clay once year, wax once a quarter, use detailer spray every two weeks and wash once a week. The detailer spray (Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer) keeps the swirl marks at bay between waxings.

Good luck,
Eric

deckofficer
09-08-11, 10:24 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the dealer applied interior and exterior sealant for $950.00 is all about? Since the sales manager met my price with a thousand to spare, he sold me on the protection. What did I buy, how does it protect? For that money you would think they would have some kind of sales literature.

CrystalRed11
09-08-11, 10:29 PM
I'm another huge Zaino fan. Some Z5 with ZFX and you are all good. I usually do 2 coats each time I wax/polish the car. This product layers. I have about 6 layers on and only a few swirls. I also got some microfiber applicators and microfiber towels from some place in Maui.

elphil
09-08-11, 10:47 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the dealer applied interior and exterior sealant for $950.00 is all about? Since the sales manager met my price with a thousand to spare, he sold me on the protection. What did I buy, how does it protect? For that money you would think they would have some kind of sales literature.

It's all about profit margin. You can guess how much labor, material and overhead account towards that $950. That's about half of what my dealer adds on to the price of the vehicle. The package also includes etching the VIN in all the glass,
which is suppose to discourage thieves who steal cars for chop shops. Since I ordered both my standard CTS and my V, I negotiated out of that package. All the dealer's new cars on the lot had that $1,800 package added on to the sticker. That add on also gives the dealer a negotiating tool. "Tell you what I'm going to do."

smackdownCTSV
09-08-11, 11:03 PM

It's BS. And you could have gotten it down to $500-$600. They just put a little industrial strength spray wax on it that you can buy for like $20-$30 a bottle. It's more about insurance. And unlikely it will be used within a few years. Read the fine print, there are exclusions and exceptions. You would have been better off using that $950 to get it professionally waxed every 2 months.

litig8r187
09-09-11, 12:52 AM
I love Ziano but I usually have someone else do this:

1. Wash the car with dawn first time.
2. Clay bar the car with your detail spray (home made or what you bought), run the clay bar over the sprayed area, wipe clean, go over the whole car.
3. Apply the "All In One", Remove.
4. Apply Z-5, Remove
5. Apply Z-2, Remove
6. Spray with Z-6.

Repeat steps 4 and 5 for dark colored cars to get a really deep look.

By the way, I stole this from someone much more knowledgeable than me

Caddyscat
09-09-11, 03:18 AM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested avoiding waxing the car in a circular motion. I always keep it linear to prevent any potential swirls. It also helps to have silver paint.

js615
09-12-11, 12:38 PM
It also helps to have silver paint.

+1, Silver paint is so much more manageable.

M5eater
09-12-11, 07:03 PM
It's BS. And you could have gotten it down to $500-$600. They just put a little industrial strength spray wax on it that you can buy for like $20-$30 a bottle. It's more about insurance. And unlikely it will be used within a few years. Read the fine print, there are exclusions and exceptions. You would have been better off using that $950 to get it professionally waxed every 2 months.

agreed.. the guy that was explaining it to me claimed that he would put a warranty on the paint, but only if you repair every paint chip, wash the car once a month, have them reapply every so often, doesn't cover industrial fall-out.. bla bla.. essentially unless by the act of god or random chance your paint starts peeling everywhere, it's $950 down the drain. They also wanted to sell me some kind of interior protection, which I thought was BS as well, since we have coated leather..

I'm surprised that no one has suggested avoiding waxing the car in a circular motion. I always keep it linear to prevent any potential swirls. It also helps to have silver paint.
I haven't seen any evidence to support this, rather opinions and suggestions. The top-tier product manufacturers, from Griots , Zanio and Adams have all said it's simply preference.
washing with dirty car-mitts causes more swirl marks than circular wax application motions do. If the theory is that you're creating swirls with any abrasives on the paint when applying wax, good detailing practice is first to make sure everything is already smoothed down and abrasive free prior to waxing.

what I * haven't* heard anyone mention yet, is the fact that we have a ceramic clear(and I only heard when I asked).. which means you can't use low-cut polish on it like you can most other cars. I spent a good 12 hours on the V one weekend and didn't even manage to remove the light swirls she had @ 4600 miles. If you're going to use something light like Adams (like me....) you need to either pickup some wool pads, or just forget the product at all and move into something more aggressive.

Thrill6
09-12-11, 07:45 PM
Another Zaino fan here. After two coats, you only need to reapply once year, even every other year. On one of my cars, I haven't Zaino'd it in 3 years the paint still beads and looks great. The more times you apply though, the deeper the finish. Their leather conditioner is also the bomb. I've used it about twice a year on the leather seats of my C5 and after 12 years the seats still look brand new, with a nice supple finish.