: headlight question

Houdini
09-08-11, 05:49 PM
So my body shop was replacing a cracked headlight assembly and they ordered the $995 HID with auto leveling even though I told them that was the export version. Our cars should get the HID without auto leveling. Anyway, I figured it was no big deal and should still look the same but it doesn't! That new side HID lamp looks yellow and not blue like the other side.

Any ideas? Do the export headlight assemblies with auto leveling use a different HID lamp? Shouldn't it still be blueish in color?

Sigh....

Am I being picky or what:

lunarx
09-09-11, 03:25 AM
Did you try swapping the lamp form your old headlight or the other side original?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

kevm14
09-09-11, 10:33 AM
My first guess would be that it could just be an HID bulb age difference, as they don't maintain exactly the same color temp as they get hours on them.

CadzillaTN
09-09-11, 12:22 PM
You're still a customer, just politely complain... If they can exchange without taking a financial hit, they might. Did the service writer make the mistake or jimbob in parts? Is it a completely different part number? Seems odd they'd blindly order the wrong one even after you told them. Did you find out before or after it was installed? Can you tell much when the light hits the road? Did they at least install right? ie, the rubber lip isn't crunched? I had to use a credit card and flip mine out when installed back in 08. One still isn't perfect...

Otherwise the bulb has to be the issue, but that is not a cheap switch...

It would probably bother most of us, it would me...but as long as it wasn't physically different in appearance during the day, and I couldn't tell unless the light was hitting a close object, I could maybe live with it... Most V owners are very picky about cars otherwise we wouldn't own a V(1).

Houdini
09-09-11, 12:26 PM
Well I got the body shop to pull the bumper again and the new headlight assembly HID bulb has a 1 at the end of the number and my original has a 4 at the end of the number. They tell me this determines the color of the light. Thankfully they still had my damaged assembly and are putting that bulb in the new one. Should be good to go later today. :)

My original headlight assemblies were practically brand new already (maybe a year old) from when a dealer replaced them under warranty because one of the washer motors broke.

texasseville
09-09-11, 02:22 PM
I'll just copy and paste my reply from the other site :)

All new OEM bulbs should be yellow'ish. The color temp on stock bulbs should be 4300K, which is yellowish / white until it color shifts over time. Then they'll turn more white and get purple'ish when theyre about to die.

Houdini
09-09-11, 02:58 PM
Well about 1.5 years ago a dealership replaced both headlight assemblies and they were blue lights...not yellow. These were brand new oem assemblies.

JFensty
09-09-11, 07:10 PM
My new own headlights from Lindsey were bluish not yellow

Houdini
09-09-11, 07:59 PM
well all is fixed and the V looks perfect up front. Time to put her up for sale and continue my search for a V2.

texasseville
09-09-11, 08:05 PM
OEM bulbs are not blue or blue'ish. To have blue you'd need a 6k-8k bulb depending on manufacture and none use that high of a Kelvin bulb. You're probably seeing the cutoff flicker and not the actual light output.

ROG
09-09-11, 11:09 PM
Mine have a blue tint too.

WesH8398
09-11-11, 12:25 AM
Mine are purple/blue too. If you're driving towards me they're only purple/blue tinted from certain angles. They look yellow-ish from other angles. But when you're the one behind the wheel, they're always purple/blue looking.

cvettr/cts-v
09-12-11, 06:07 PM
dont forget clear bra