: 2004 CTS-V newbie

philistine
09-07-11, 11:40 PM
Hello all! Recently purchased a 2004 CTS-V from a member on this forum - smbstyle. Currently I've been doing some homework on some mods and this place seems to be a great source of knowledge. I'm looking to for 3 basic things for an upgrade:

1. Entire exhaust (long tube headers but no aggressive sound - it's a Cadillac after-all).
2. Cam (street performance)
3. Suspension (coil-overs, mainly for the street)

Looking for suggestions and not limited to just these 3. I mainly just want to enhance what GM already started - a sleeper hot-rod! I have a $5k budget. This is a 3/4 daily driver that I plan on keeping for a few years.

Additionally, I have noticed that this car loves 90mph and performs well at this speed. What I'm not used to is the 1st gear take offs around town - I either take off like a scalded cat or like an old lady Sunday driver (lots to get used to). I'm surprised that the shifting isn't smoother- I've driven many sticks and by far the funnest and easiest to drive was the Mazda Speed 3, so that is what I compare it to. I've also paid my dues with a 2002 Mustang GT, upgraded with a Steeda Tri-ax shifter which made 3rd gear possible but still somewhat rudimentary. This car is still new to me but shifting through gears stands out the most for me - I expected smooth as butter with no clunk - upgrade suggestions or comments welcome on this area.

Thanks all!

rand49er
09-08-11, 07:18 AM
1. Personally, I have Kooks and Corsa. This is a tame combination compared to others.

2. I'll let others suggest something here.

3. Several options. Again, other guys will tell you.

If you still have a CAGS installed, you can eliminate that when you get tuned following your header and/or cam install. A shifter is an absolute must, IMHO. Luke at Lindsay Cadillac has UUC shifters, or you can contact PISNUOFF to rework your stock unit, or I believe Katech has one. In any case, it'll transform your driving experience.

Welcome!

GDPossehl
09-08-11, 08:45 AM
Agreed with above.

However, longtubes and magnaflow would probably be even tamer than corsa.

For drivetrain clunkiness check out Creative Steel (CS) for mounts and bushings.

You say you purchased it from another member, definitely check out what's already been done.

texasseville
09-08-11, 11:17 AM
What I'm not used to is the 1st gear take offs around town - I either take off like a scalded cat or like an old lady Sunday driver (lots to get used to). I'm surprised that the shifting isn't smoother- This car is still new to me but shifting through gears stands out the most for me - I expected smooth as butter with no clunk

I know what you mean. I bought my V a little less than a month ago and 1st gear is very touchy. Ive gotten use to it a little bit though, it just takes some driving time. Shifting is very mechanical sounding, Im use to a silent / easy gliding shifter. I had a couple Zs in the past and several notchback 5.0s and this is the loudest manual Ive had but 100x the car than my other manuals so I dont care! :)

Congrats on your new ride!!

D.K
09-08-11, 12:52 PM
Congrats on your purchase! :thumbsup: I recently picked up an '04 and am looking to mod as well.

1. As far as LTs go, Kooks seem to be the popular choice. The lowest price for Kooks I've found was at Summit, but I've only searched a few places. OBX and B&B also make LT headers for the V. LT headers alone won't make a huge difference in the loudness of the exhaust...it's the removal of 2/4 cats that will make the most difference.
2. Cam...we probably don't share the same views on cams. My version of street performance borders on what most would label as strip only. With that being said, Ive been looking at the MS3. Search the forums and Youtube, and get an idea of what you like, get some reviews and make the best decision for you.
3. Many people like the Ground Control setup, but there are a few other coilover setups available.

The shifter isn't great, but replacing the motor/trans/diff mounts supposedly makes a world of difference. All of my mounts seem to be bad, and the short shifter on my car just compounds the issue. If it shifted even half as well as my '02 Mustang GT with a Tri-Ax does, I'd be content.

Happy Modding! :bouncy:

philistine
09-08-11, 09:11 PM
Personally, I have Kooks and Corsa. This is a tame combination compared to others.
Any videos of this set-up? I heard a BB full exhaust w/BB headers (touring w/resonators) and it sounded pretty good but I think I read somewhere that they give a drone around 1700-2000 rpm - that would kill it for me! Any droning with your set-up?

I've been looking at the TPIS longtube headers and wonder how they compare to the popular Kooks.

Cam...we probably don't share the same views on cams. My version of street performance borders on what most would label as strip only.
I was thinking about the Comp LSXR Cam which looks like a good value for the performance - would this be a nice street upgrade for a daily driver?

Shifting is very mechanical sounding, Im use to a silent / easy gliding shifter.
The previous owner put in a Katech shifter, and replaced the motor mounts as well - if this Katech is the best upgrade for this then wow! I put on the Delrin shift knob which the previous owner gave me and that made a significant difference for ergonomics but still have that mechanical feel and sound with the Katech. I think these motor mounts are all metal because my rear view mirror vibrates and is essentially useless. Scanning the forums, it seems that motor mounts for the CTS-V are quite a problem but to resort to an all metal mount? - That's ridiculous! There has to be something out there better!

rand49er
09-08-11, 10:58 PM
Any videos of this set-up? ...You hear it, but no droning whatsoever. It's just civilized enough to pass the wife test.

Here I am leaving the Dream Cruise a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85L_gf5p5U&feature=player_profilepage

philistine
09-08-11, 11:47 PM
It does sound pretty tame till you get on it a little bit - respectable sound! I hear ya on the wife test...mine refuses to get into any "boy-toy" hotrod with a giant wing or anything that sounds unprofessional.

lunarx
09-09-11, 02:17 AM
Welcome.
I remember how much I loved my stock 04.
FG2 and CAGS were the only thing I changed on it.

For full exhaust its hard to beat the B&B complete bolt on kit.
(Switched from a corsa that was too loud.)
I have resonator, cats and cones to keep it civilized but it still gets noticed.
I love the sound, which always replays in my mind whenever I think of the V.

Consider FG2 shocks instead of coilovers, otherwise KW are the smart way to go.
If FG2 were not so good, I would have installed my KWs a long time ago.

For the trans, there is a TR6060 conversion that promises improved shifting.
I only had a T56 Level V rebuild which did make shifting better but it was not all that, untill I put in the UUC Shifter and Bushings.
Its great now.

For all my current mods; trans, shifter & FG2 delivered the most enjoyment.

For that 1st gear thing, wait untill you need a clutch then get a twin disk LS9 or ACT.
I had an LS7 clutch before and it was nice, but it did not last long.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

CTSV_Rob
09-09-11, 09:07 PM
Good to see you are still around Lunarx

Agreed with the B&B, I couldn't imagine anything else.

I would sure like to hear what that 6060 is like in a V. I have a freind with the 6060 in his vette and he had some shifting problems with it at first but after a little while it seemed to break in and the shifting is much better than the T56 now. So how much power will the 6060 handle anyway?

Sorry for the thread jack and enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

philistine
09-09-11, 11:16 PM
For full exhaust its hard to beat the B&B complete bolt on kit.
(Switched from a corsa that was too loud.)

Did you notice any droning? Sound clips from camera phones do no justice. I would consider the B&B (Billy Boat right?) if it's more conservative. Right now mine has a muffler delete (previous owner) and although I admit I like the sound - just want some tame refinement. Researched the forums and TPIS headers were recommended for the best gains in hp/tq. I'm curious how the TPIS headers and BB exhaust (w/resonators) would sound. If the gains are near equal then I would lean towards the BB full exhaust provided no droning. Such a rare car that I don't have the pleasure of witnessing multiple set-ups in person. Many clips I've heard from the Corsa exhausts sound like it's making popcorn - no offense to anyone, just being honest.

Consider FG2 shocks instead of coilovers, otherwise KW are the smart way to go.

Currently my 2004 cts-v has H&R springs in there. No clue what shocks I have. Previous owner mentioned nothing about shocks so I must assume stock. It sits lower than what I am used to and I get nervous going over train tracks (unavoidable if I want to get to work). It also has Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway Bars and Z06 End-links. The handling is fine but not sure I want something so low - my wife raises one eyebrow at it (not that it matters, it's mine after-all). I do not have the pleasure of comparing this set-up to stock. If anyone can chime in here and tell me more about my current suspension set-up and tell me what direction this went, I would be pleased e.g. stock shocks do not give proper travel with H&R springs etc. If I was to install coilovers, it would be a one time adjustment (including corner balance) since it is a 3/4 daily driver - I drive a Mazda 3 sneaker if I have to go into downtown Birmingham, AL.

lunarx
09-15-11, 02:11 PM
Yo Rob,

Good to hear from you also.
My V took a lot longer to get out of the shop than expected.
Now that it's back, it's hard to stay away from these boards.

If you are interested, here is that link to the TR6060 re-builder:
(found by HeavyMetals)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/2733720-we-turn-your-t56-into-a-tr6060-the-ultimate-transmisson.html

Good to see you are still around Lunarx

Agreed with the B&B, I couldn't imagine anything else.

I would sure like to hear what that 6060 is like in a V. I have a freind with the 6060 in his vette and he had some shifting problems with it at first but after a little while it seemed to break in and the shifting is much better than the T56 now. So how much power will the 6060 handle anyway?

Sorry for the thread jack and enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

Skidmarcx
09-15-11, 02:36 PM
Welcome and grats on the purchase!

- I have Kooks/Corsa setup with HF cats and it's a perfect for me... calm while cruising and loud when you pin it... although if the car didn't already have the Corsa I'd have gotten the full B&B setup

- I don't have much experience with cams, so I can't help you haha

- I have the ground control setup and I'll be honest I don't like it... maybe the previous owner did a shitty install, but it's noisy and it's got an uneven feel when going over bumps and such... I plan on upgrading to the KW setup in the future