: UGH!!! what is this with Cadillac and water leaks?

Night Wolf
10-25-04, 10:36 PM
So I own 2 Cadillacs..... and both of them.... have water leaks.... not the higher millage, harder driven Oldsmobile that dosn't get the same premium treatment as the DeVille's... but both DeVille's...

... the '93... I have located it to be coming in form the wiper cowling area... bottom left of the windsheild... I can't get the damn wiper arm off, and then the bolt is too far pushed intot he plastc to get that off too... I don't know where it is coming in from exactly, but when my friend was pouring water there, it was just pouring in like crazy... coming in from the bolt that holds the top part of the parking brake support to the dash... right next to the fire wall...

the water then pools up under the driver floor... it discolored my carpet, and is runing the sound deadening materal... I figure once I actually get the cowling stuff off, I'll get clear silcone and just go over every corner, screw or anything I may see...

... then with the '79 DeVille... in a bad rain storm, I saw the water droplets falling from the right side of the trans hump in the car... that was it though, but now with any rain... the whole carpet is wet... I don't mean damp, I mean actual water... so much that it goes into the floor mats (origanal are in truck, I bought cheap replacements)... it must be doing hell to the floor board and everything else, I dread pulling the carpet back... I think this is a drain hole that is plugged or something...

in fact, here is a bad picture showing some of the water on the floor of the '79... both of these cars piss me off becuase of this.. it makes me not enjoy it as much for that reason.. and I can't stand driving them... or even having them sit outside int he rain... becuase water is getting inside the car where it shouldn't be....

... the Oldsmobile has never let me done... that car is unlike any other I tell ya...

I had to adjust contrast and brightness to make it better to see.... this is 1 day after the rain too.. it will get even worse when it rains... where shoudl I start to look? is there any "common place" the GM cars from this era leak from?

Night Wolf
10-25-04, 10:44 PM
in this pic, you can kinda see the water...

it comes down in 3 places... one, behind the insaltion on the left, the other, right ontop of the plastic cover alot of wires (tha tis real safe) and the 3rd is right behind the parking brake... that is where most coems down in... it pours in at times, while other times will not come in at all... but it all starts form the same bolt.. it is a vertical bolt, and mounts the top part of the parking brake to the dash... in fact it is a very wierd angle (I had the whole interrior of my car out) but when I layed down, adn looked *up* in to the leak( had my friend pour water on the left side of the wind sheild) this is where the water was just coming in heavy from...

... it is that bolt in the middle of the pic... it was dripping from the bottom of it... I don't know how or why, but it was...

an01sts
10-28-04, 02:38 AM
The point it drips in the car doesn't mean that's where the water comes from. If you suspect the cowl area, try another water test, but do not get one drop near the windsheild. If it leaks without getting the winsheild wet, you have cowl firewall leak. I don't think that it's leaking around the wiper because there is an outar structure, on which the wiper is mounted, and in inner structure that's the firewall.

If it doesn't leak, start water testing the windsheild. Stay at the bottom of the w/s, test for a while, then work op. If you do a water test like this, you will probally find that the windsheild is leaking. Do not get it resealed, meaing that they shoot some pukey in it or around it. It needs to be removed and be redone. By the way, they don't garuntee against breaking the windsheild when they remove it.

barge master
10-29-04, 08:11 AM
My 80 has that right side leak too. I removed the screen over the cowl and sealed where the heater box meets the fire wall. The pisser is, it still leaks a little but only if the nose of the car is pointed up, if it's level it won't leak. That is how you end up with Flintstone floors.

DaveSmed
10-29-04, 02:30 PM
I have a bit of a leak too. Not a flood like you describe, but after it rains, my stuff in the trunk is usually moist. Especially fun when its something like a sweatshirt, and it freezes overnight. Since the leak is so small, I haven't really tried to track it down, I've just tried to keep the car covered when the forecast calls for rain.

majax
10-29-04, 10:16 PM
Don't get to upset dude that will only make it worse. I have a strange leek to which I will post about soon. Just go get yourself a carpet shampooer to start with.

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 11:40 AM
well, it is winter now, and both DeVille's are goign in the garage for the winter (early December) so I will worry about it next year.... ugh I hate thinking about it though....

91TexasSeville
02-27-05, 03:46 PM
I have a bit of a leak too. Not a flood like you describe, but after it rains, my stuff in the trunk is usually moist. Especially fun when its something like a sweatshirt, and it freezes overnight. Since the leak is so small, I haven't really tried to track it down, I've just tried to keep the car covered when the forecast calls for rain.

I just noticed the same thing after three days of rain, and a peek into my 92 Eldorado trunk. I never suspected a leak because the trunk always "seemed" dry. I happened to look in the spare tire well and it was 25% full of water. I am beginning to think that the drain for the moonroof is plugged, along with the spare tire well drain.

1toycad
02-27-05, 06:31 PM
I just noticed the same thing after three days of rain, and a peek into my 92 Eldorado trunk. I never suspected a leak because the trunk always "seemed" dry. I happened to look in the spare tire well and it was 25% full of water. I am beginning to think that the drain for the moonroof is plugged, along with the spare tire well drain.

I have a 99 SLS, 37k miles on the clock. It too leaked. I took it to the delaer, made a big stink about a low mileage Caddy leaking and they fixed it, for free.:worship: