: Idle question and other flutter noise question

cadigirlchicago2
09-07-11, 05:52 PM
I will preface this with the statement that I know nothing about cars so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

My 2010 Luxury has been weird for the past month or two. I see that the RPM's are at around 500 but every so often if I'm at a light stopped it will shutter and the whole car shakes for a split second, then the RPM's adjust and everything is back to normal and steady again. Anyone know what this is or if it's cause for concern?

I have also complained about this flutter type noise and it's back - not sure if it's because I'm not using the A/C since it's chilly in chicago again but the noise is coming from the front. It sounds like someone is fluttering a deck of cards, it does this for like a second or two, stops, then comes back again. All air circulation systems are off. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said it was a normal noise and to ignore it. It is making me CRAZY! I don't think it's normal. I have read that some of you are going into the dash from underneath and playing around with something there - I'd have to dig up the thread again but do you guys think it's an easy fix? If someone can please post the thread link for me and I'll check tonight.

Thanks!

Razorecko
09-07-11, 07:48 PM
I will preface this with the statement that I know nothing about cars so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

My 2010 Luxury has been weird for the past month or two. I see that the RPM's are at around 500 but every so often if I'm at a light stopped it will shutter and the whole car shakes for a split second, then the RPM's adjust and everything is back to normal and steady again. Anyone know what this is or if it's cause for concern?

I have also complained about this flutter type noise and it's back - not sure if it's because I'm not using the A/C since it's chilly in chicago again but the noise is coming from the front. It sounds like someone is fluttering a deck of cards, it does this for like a second or two, stops, then comes back again. All air circulation systems are off. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said it was a normal noise and to ignore it. It is making me CRAZY! I don't think it's normal. I have read that some of you are going into the dash from underneath and playing around with something there - I'd have to dig up the thread again but do you guys think it's an easy fix? If someone can please post the thread link for me and I'll check tonight.

Thanks!

That is not normal and is an issue for concern. It seems like you are in the chicago area, if you can I suggest you go to Naperville Cadillac and ask for B.J the assistant service manager. Tell him you heard about the dealer and him from the forums. Thats about the best cadillac dealer in the chicago land area and a couple of us high hp cts-v owners use that dealership. Again, the issue you're having is not normal and the dealer you're going to sucks and most likely is giving you a hard time because you're a femme. Hope that helps

sube5186
09-07-11, 07:49 PM

Thanks!

Neither of these issues sound normal to me. I can all but guarantee the first one isn't. And how can your dealer diagnose the "deck of cards" sound without even hearing it? Let me make a few suggestions. First, other than for routine service (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.), deal exclusively with the Service Manager, not just a clerk in the service dept. Get to know him/her well. They need to be aware of everything that's going on with your vehicle. Second, try to pinpoint exactly when these problems occur. That way you'll be able to replicate the problems more quickly when you take it in. Third, tell your service manager you'd like to bring the car in to have it diagnosed. Tell them you want to ride in the car with the service technician so you can point out the problem. When you have a sporadic problem, if you're not with them to point it out they'll drive it for a short period of time. If the problem doesn't appear quickly, they'll report back that everything's working normally. Then, they'll make it sound like you're imagining things. If they tell you it's normal, tell them you'll like to hear the noise in a new SRX on their lot.

Personally, I would not be crawling around under the dash to fix anything. That's what you have a warranty for.

Good luck!

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
09-08-11, 02:46 PM
Awesome tips! Thanks everyone! My closest dealer is Weil Cadillac in Libertyville so I'd have to go there. I ATTEMPTED to take it to Foley Cadillac in Northbrook for that steering wheel grinding noise and they claimed they had never heard of that before so I wasn't too inclined to take it to them.

I did have the service guy listen to the car when it was making the "deck of cards" flutter noise and he said it was the air exchange system and that it was normal. It does this when the car first starts up, or when I've driven it for hours. I have to get it looked at again because quite frankly it's annoying. I'm not sure on the RPM shutter that's just started but yes, will have to have that looked at as well. And last, you are all right probably because I"m a girl they think I'm stupid and can snow ball me - but....that's why I have you guys to turn to - always have great info here!! Thanks alot for the responses and I'll contact the service manager like it was suggested.

smiley47
09-08-11, 05:32 PM
You can take it to any dealer you wish. I'd try to follow Razor's suggestion since he seems impressed with their service. If that dealer is inconvenient for you (work, time etc) maybe you have a real good retired friend who has some time on his hands who could take it there for you. Even better would be a retired friend who knows cars and can express himself firmly but friendly.

If the shaking happens again before you can take it in, the second you notice shaking press the blue OnStar button immediately. There may be a code that shows up in the DIC. Write that number down and it will help them diagnose the problem.

Razorecko
09-08-11, 10:33 PM
Awesome tips! Thanks everyone! My closest dealer is Weil Cadillac in Libertyville so I'd have to go there. I ATTEMPTED to take it to Foley Cadillac in Northbrook for that steering wheel grinding noise and they claimed they had never heard of that before so I wasn't too inclined to take it to them.

I did have the service guy listen to the car when it was making the "deck of cards" flutter noise and he said it was the air exchange system and that it was normal. It does this when the car first starts up, or when I've driven it for hours. I have to get it looked at again because quite frankly it's annoying. I'm not sure on the RPM shutter that's just started but yes, will have to have that looked at as well. And last, you are all right probably because I"m a girl they think I'm stupid and can snow ball me - but....that's why I have you guys to turn to - always have great info here!! Thanks alot for the responses and I'll contact the service manager like it was suggested.

Weil in Libertyville was my first dealer. They didnt help me much with anything honestly. I would be very suprised if they go any further than the previous dealer went. If it doesnt work out for you call B.J. in Naperville and tell him your symptoms, ask him if there are any TSB's for your VIN # srx and he should be able to tell you right away if its a known issue.

sube5186
09-08-11, 11:08 PM
cadigirlchicago2,

I found the below info on one of your problems. As far as the steering wheel noise, there have been others on here with the same problem. If I remember correctly, there were some parts inside the steering column that were not lubricated from the factory. Give this info to your service dept as a starting point. If I don't work for GM and I'm able to find this stuff, you'd think they'd at least know about it.

Sube

2007-2011 SRX

Intermittent engine hesitation or flutter without DTCs

Fix: Correct camshaft position sensor - bank 1 exhaust or bank 1 intake harness connector terminals

Reference Information / Bulletin Number: PI0090C

2004 - 2011 SRX

Intermittent engine hesitation or flutter without DTC

Fix: Inspect and correct intake CMP sensor bank 1 connector terminals for intermittent conditions or poor connection

Reference Information / Bulletin Number: PI0090B

cadigirlchicago2
09-09-11, 02:06 PM
Thanks Sube, I did have the steering wheel noise fixed months ago...guess I won't know if it's truly fixed until the cold weather comes again. Well, unfortunately, I'm stuck going to Weil, I just can't be driving all over and Weil is closest to my home and were we purchased from. I will just have to put the pressure on them and if they tell me that flutter noise is "normal" I will have them take me to a new SRX, sit inside and listen for the noise - I'm very confident this is not a NORMAL noise.

I'm wondering about the suggestion about pushing the blue onstar button, stupid question but that is just going to dial into the onstar network to get me an advisor for directions....am I missing something?

I have been closely watching the idle issue, it's all the time, on start up etc...it's just a faint flutter of the needle but you can def. feel it in the car when it's not steady. I hope they aren't going to try to sell me on a tune up or something, I have aprox 30500 miles so far. Is it maybe just time for a tune up? Never done anything except for the routine oil changes so far.

As always, I really appreciate the help here! You guys are awesome!

sube5186
09-09-11, 02:56 PM
I'm wondering about the suggestion about pushing the blue onstar button, stupid question but that is just going to dial into the onstar network to get me an adviser for directions....am I missing something?

Actually, OnStar does a whole lot more than just give directions. Part of the service includes "Vehicle Diagnostics". It analyzes multiple vehicle components and sends the info back to OnStar. OnStar then sends you a monthly email listing your vehicle's status. However, they can also do an on-demand vehicle diagnostics at your request.

You're not due for a tune up for quite a while. It might benefit you to get familiar with the maintenance section of you owner's manual. That way you'll know at which mileage intervals you're due for specific services. If fact, I would recommend you read through the owner's manual in general. The more informed you are when talking to your service dept., the less likely they are to try to take advantage of you. I've had my SRX for almost two years now. When I bought it, no one at the dealer knew very much about the car. I made it a point to educate myself on all of the car's features. I ended up explaining a lot of things to the service manager himself. From that point on, they knew they couldn't just tell me anything and I'd swallow it. Knowledge is power.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Watch these two videos:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/ovdexplore

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
09-09-11, 03:04 PM
WOW! Awesome, I'll have to review over the weekend! Thanks Sube!!!

cadigirlchicago2
09-15-11, 09:07 PM
Just a short update - the slight shake was happening again this week so I pressed the blue onstar button. They ran a diagnostic but unfortunately, nothing came up. Guess my next step is taking it to the dealership.....

cadigirlchicago2
09-20-11, 10:01 PM
Off to the dealership tomorrow morning bright and early. I took your advice and called to speak to the service manager. I told him what was going on so he's aware and he told me which service guy to see. I just posted a thank you for helping me with the flutter noise....I'm wondering if my rough idle issue has anything to do with that sudden stalling problem some members have reported. When the RPM's guage flutters and the car shakes, it has sometimes felt like it wants to stall, never has YET. Any other tips before I go tomorrow would be great! If not, I have printed some service bulletin #'s for possible issues for them to check out as well. I'm trying......

sube5186
09-20-11, 11:48 PM
That's great. If you're able to, it would help if you could actually ride in the car with them and point out the problem when it appears. I've found that when you have a sporadic problem and they test drive the car without you, it never fails that the car will drive flawlessly. If you can't be there with them, take down your mileage. This will tell you have far they drove your car in an attempt to reproduce the problem. This is supposed to be recorded on your invoice, but sometimes they only record the mileage "in" and not "out". If they only drive two miles, how hard are they trying to replicate your issue? When you pick the car up don't just let them give you the invoice and send you on your way. Tell them you want to have a sit down with the Service Manager. Have him/her discuss in detail exactly what was done to your car. Ask lots of questions and make sure you have a thorough understanding of their explanations.

Keep us all posted on your results. Good Luck!

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
09-21-11, 12:20 PM
Rats, of course I didn't check for replies until AFTER I dropped off the car. Well, I was able to replicate the flutter noise immediately so that's great. The idle thing,he's not sure. He said citgo gas isn't the best, that I should stick with BP or Shell Regular. He pulled up the GM site on this computer and put in 2010 Cadillac SRX and about 30 bulletins came up on the car just for today! He said that's constant for them.....I wish we had access to that info....I'd love to read up on that stuff. How do you guys find the service bulletin #'s and info? Funny, they gave me a 2011 SRX as a loaner and the car made the EXACT same flutter noise. I did the replication trick on that car as well and the noise started up. I guess it is pretty widespread. Well, I hope it gets fixed and goes away, the noise makes me insane.

The service manager came over and introduced himself so it was a good tip to call him first and tell him what was going on. I think I'll do that going forward.

Will keep you all updated on if this fixes the problems or not.

smiley47
09-21-11, 12:42 PM
Citgo gas isn't good for several reasons.

RippyPartsDept
09-21-11, 01:37 PM
http://toptiergas.com

cadigirlchicago2
09-21-11, 10:09 PM
Well, not much to report yet. They called and said they wanted to keep the vehicle over night and see if they can replicate the unsteady idle on a cold start. Apparently they have fixed the flutter noise with the bulletin you guys posted. The 2011 SRX loaner they gave me has a back up camera - that was a cool suprise when I was leaving work today since my luxury doesn't have that feature. That was the only extra I could find to play around with on the car. Hopefully I have my beauty back tomorrow fully fixed. I wonder if it's just a bad fuel sensor?

cadigirlchicago2
09-22-11, 10:52 AM
I'm annoyed. I just heard back from service. They said they drove the car today and that the flutter on the idle is just something Im going to see from time to time depending on the type of gas I put in and there's really nothing to do. They also said that they completed the service bulletin for that flutter noise which he says is the vents inside the dash and the compressor opening etc to control the air temp. He said he put the temp to 90, let it run at 90 degrees for a minute or two and put it back down to 75 and the noise was happening again. He said if we replace anything it means taking the dash apart and that's a whole other can of worms as far as noises/squeeks etc. He said he wouldn't do it if it were his car. He said he also compared mine to another customers 2010 that was in service and he claims hers is much more noisy than mine regarding the flutter noise. I can't help but say I'm beyond annoyed and disapointed. I went thru these stupid noises with an old Jetta that I had and I told him that I bought a cadillac because I thought I was buying better quality. He didn't really have any answers for me. This is SOOO annoying. I guess I'm back to square one. Now what??
Live with it?

RippyPartsDept
09-22-11, 12:48 PM
Can you take a video and post to youtube so we can see (hear really) what you're talking about?

cadigirlchicago2
09-22-11, 03:49 PM
Can you take a video and post to youtube so we can see (hear really) what you're talking about?

Totally not being lazy but you can replicate it by putting the air system on AUTO and moving the temp arrow up/down, the flutter is like someone flicking a deck or cards. Annoying!
The service department just called to say the car is ready and that according to cadillac, all of them make this noise and to basically live with it. BOO!

PJ1520
09-22-11, 04:11 PM
Caddygirl.......you will prevail if you make it so. Go back to the dealer and sit in one of the 2010 pre-owned ones on the lot to see if what they say is true about the noise, that "they all do it." Bet they all don't. Then ask them why, if they all do it, and this one doesn't. "Is the quiet one I'm sitting in abnormal or broken? Let's try another one just for fun." Of course it is not normal. Their bluff is called. Then tell them to try another stupid excuse. If you really want to get focused, suggest they take your SRX to the next closest Cadillac dealership, let them fix it, and have it brought back and waiting for you where you dropped it off, with them.

I guess you may also have to consider a change horses/dealerships and take on the added inconvenience of the back and forth. Not all dealerships are created equal.

I paid about $2,000 more for my CPO GenI SRX at a dealership that was further from my home in order to get the service expertise I KNEW the further one that I chose could deliver. And they have. If you are like me, you want to have your car serviced where you bought it because you assume they want you to bring it to them for service now, and especially after it falls off warranty. Moreover, they want a repeat customer when you are ready for a trade and a newer Cadillac. Etc.

I had an advantage up front, a trusted friend I see every week who works at a competing Cadillac dealership even further away than the one I ultimately chose. He couldn't get his hands on what I was looking for, so I asked him point blank: "Other than your dealership, which one(s) is/are the next best in ironing out service issues on the first pass." He KNEW. I took his recommendation (they had exactly what I was looking for) and paid the piper the premium just to get the dealership I wanted and the start of a relationship I knew was going to span a few years.

So you have some choices in front of you. Lean on your dealer and don't relent, moving up the chain of command. Live with the total annoyance/aggravation and stick with your dealer. Or change to one of the dealers that others have highly recommended in earlier posts.

After paying what you paid, I personally couldn't live with the annoyance. Let me rephrase that....I would refuse to live with the annoyance. And I have met two dealership General Managers in my time. Just the hint that this will be your next step may be enough for the service manager to make sure this gets sqaured away in short order, whatever it takes..

If you have to take it to another dealership, worst case, you get your issue fixed NOW and then return to the dealer closer to your home down the road. Personally I usually stand fast with the dealer where I bought the car. I have had to change dealerships only once over the course of four decades, but the car got fixed. Then I went back to "my" dealership to show them what had been done and to press the point.....that they have some soul searching to do if they plan to stay in business and retain the business they do have. I can go anywhere.

Here's a thought. You said you said you were not fond of the idea of having your dash being torn apart. But I would seriously consider what your service tech at your own dealer mentioned...... tearing apart your dash to fix the problem. Was that to get rid of you because they couldn't sort out the problem? If they have to disaasemblt things a bit to get at the fix, I would leave them with one caveat: "I expect to get my SRX back fixed and in precisely the same pristine cosmetic condition in which I dropped it off. No less."

Regarding the treatment of women at a car dealership. Yes, they do treat women differently. No, they don't treat men with more respect. They just blow a different color smoke, the good old boy/pals smoke. In the end, the customer, female or male, winds up with the same unsatisfactory results, if we let them. Our responsibility, female or male, is not to be an ASE certified mechanic, figure out the solution, and then TELL THEM how to fix things with printouts from a forum or the pertinent Technical Service Bulletins.

If you are anything like my wife, they WILL figure out how fix the car correctly and WON'T want to see you again, even for a new scratch they inflicted or smudge mark they added to the carpet when fixing your issue.

She may be blond, but I saw my future wife in action before we got married, when she was receiving the same type of runaround and condescending attitude right after she bought her first new car. It was delivered with screwed up weatherstripping and an 8-way power seat that wasn't working properly.

I was with her and for once wisely kept my mouth shut when she exploded in front of crowd of other customers. "If this driver's seat is 8-way and only four adjustments can be made, and you call THAT normal, then why do all 8-way adjustments work on the passengers' seat.....and on all of the other freakin cars like mine on the lot!?"

Needless to say, the cause was found, the dealership made things right, her car got fixed, picked it up (yes, all was fixed), and upon her arrival at her home she found a fruit basket on her front porch with a bottle of champagne and an apology note from the service manager. True story. I still married her. :yup:

Morale of the story. Expect what you deserve and accept nothing less. And never send a man to do a woman's work. :D

PJ

RippyPartsDept
09-22-11, 05:37 PM
maybe contact Cadillac Customer Care on the forum and see what they can do to help you?

Razorecko
09-22-11, 07:05 PM
Totally not being lazy but you can replicate it by putting the air system on AUTO and moving the temp arrow up/down, the flutter is like someone flicking a deck or cards. Annoying!
The service department just called to say the car is ready and that according to cadillac, all of them make this noise and to basically live with it. BOO!

Sounds like the actuator. Sounds like paper is flapping inside the vents. Naperville fixed it for me no prob. Like I said before Weil cadillac is sub-par and lazy when it comes to service. ESPECIALLY to warranty work. Like I said before. Alot of dealerships are sub-par and you'll have to drive to get things done.

sube5186
09-22-11, 08:45 PM
cadigirlchicago2, did you give them the bulletin nos. I posted earlier in this thread?

The website below has a list of dealers in your area and their rating. Your dealer only has one customer rating, and that one is negative. The dealers that are "DealerRater Certified" are bound to a much higher standard as noted below. I'm a firm believer that the dealer you purchased the car from has an obligation to make things right. However, if they're incompetent you may be better off looking elsewhere, at least for this problem.

"This dealership is a DealerRater.com Certified Dealer and is committed to providing quality customer service. As a Certified Dealer, (insert name here) has the opportunity to contact reviewers that had unsatisfactory experiences at their dealership. Contact may be made privately, without giving out anyone's email address, through the DealerRater.com Message Panel with the goal to resolve any issues the reviewer experienced. Reviews will automatically post after the two week reconciliation period has ended."

http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Illinois/Cadillac/

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
09-22-11, 09:55 PM
Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for the replies since this afternoon. I will try to answer everything from above.

I feel like since I purchased the car at Weil, I need to stick with them. I always was told you have more "power" at the place you purchased the vehicle from. Yes, Sube, I did copy/paste the service bulletin info and excerpts from the forum post here and gave them the sheet of paper noting everything. I even put in the part about how to replicate the noise by turning it on Auto and moving the arrow up/down. I don't think that I'm being unreasonable in wanting this noise fixed. It's annoying. I do sort of see what they are saying in taking apart the dash could "open up a new can of worms" creating other noises that weren't there before. As much as I didn't like hearing it, it does make sense. I want to be a "big girl" about this and still be satisfied. I checked my service sheet and it says the following:

1. A c/s when driving or changing climate control functions a ticking or ratcheting noise from dash when when not adjusting climate control it keeps ticking at times. PI0092. Cause: E4398 error for reprogramming. D4707 call TAC E4398 for programing OK. TAC says normal actuator motor noise.

2. Intermittently at idle engine idles at 500 RMP and feels like it's going to die. 9996 checks ok, no codes

I asked to speak to the service manager and he swore up down and around that they called TAC and the flutter noise is normal and there is nothing else they can do for me. The engine RPM issue - they say it's the blend of gasoline.

ha ha - I sound like your wife for sure, I stand my ground and though I'm a girl, I don't let anyone push me around. I foundly like to refer to myself in certain situations as a pitbull with lipstick! I want to pursue this and have my car perfect. Am I just being un realistic and do all cars just make some noise or another that I should just learn to live with? :banghead:
I guess since the 2011 SRX they gave me as a loaner did the same flutter noise,it does seem like all of them do it. This rental also did the engine shake thing 1x as well. I don't know what to think or do at this point. I'm not lazy and would take it to naperville if I knew they would fix it....just seems like a long drive for a gamble. I do like speaking to the GM though....might be a good next step.
The service manager did say after I pushed him that other members on this forum had the service bulletin performed and they don't have the noise - he said to find out exactly what else they had done and he'd gladly do it.
I'm positive they did NOT remove my center council to do this bulletin - I think it was in the dash somewhere.

The biggest annoyance of the day......the idiots set a memory on #1 for my seat setting - WHY would they do that??? My seat was totally messed up....took me the whole drive home screwing around up, down, recline, to get it close but not perfect. Now, that was uncalled for that they did that. :annoyed:

cadigirlchicago2
09-22-11, 09:57 PM
Sounds like the actuator. Sounds like paper is flapping inside the vents. Naperville fixed it for me no prob. Like I said before Weil cadillac is sub-par and lazy when it comes to service. ESPECIALLY to warranty work. Like I said before. Alot of dealerships are sub-par and you'll have to drive to get things done.

Ok, if my dealer did the service bulletin for this fix and it didn't work....wouldn't the other dealership that was suggested just do the exact same bulletin?

Razorecko
09-23-11, 09:27 AM
Ok, if my dealer did the service bulletin for this fix and it didn't work....wouldn't the other dealership that was suggested just do the exact same bulletin?

From what I read they just tried to re-program something. Like I said, they are lazy at any type of warranty work. You actually need a new physical actuator motor. My dealership when they replaced mine said that the new 2012's have a re-designed actuator that does not have this problem. He said he'd put it on order for me to replace in the future but in the mean time he replaced mine that was making the noise with a new actuator. It fixed the issue and he told me certain parts nowadays are hard to get out of gm because of production so I might have to wait for a while for the 2012 unit. For now i'm happy I got it replaced and its quiet as can be. If you take it to another dealer thats reasonable they should be able to REALLY fix the issue for you not do a runaround. Its easier for them to fudge with some software for 5 minutes and say its fine than do 2hours of warranty work. Thats how they make more money.

The last time I was at weil for service was when the supercharger in my 2009 cts-v was making noise. I knew exactly what the noise was. It is a common problem among us V2 owners. Its an isolator on the supercharger that rattles and eventually wears out. I wanted to see if I could get it replaced under warranty because in 30-40k it would eat up the supercharger. They told me that the ticking noise ( loud ticking noise a bad isolator makes ) which they also heard was the sound of the fuel injectors firing off....?!?! If I can diagnose the issue and the dealer can't even agree with me I walk because its a waste of time. Ive had tons of vehicles across the years and dealt with numerous dealerships and you DO NOT have more power at the dealer you bought your car from. Service and Sales are two different departments.

cadigirlchicago2
09-23-11, 10:08 AM
Thanks Razor!

I'm going to call your dealer next week and speak to the guy you suggested in service. If I reference the forum will he know what I'm talking about? I'm still concerned about my engine shaking. It just seems overall that it's running rough still. I'm just a hair over 30K miles.....the only maintenance I have done is oil changes and 2 tire rotations. I still need to read the manual as Sube suggested - just been busy with no time. Is it time for a tune up perhaps?

Just called the dealer and spoke to the guy I was working with in service. He said they did a REPROGRAM and not a replace. I guess that's the issue. I need to have the REPLACMENT actuator. He insists that they have to do what TAC tells them to do and that for this model this is normal. I'm not buying it. I mentioned this 2012 actuator and he was all up in arms about it saying that the parts might not be inter changeable. He really seems threatened by the fact I'm getting information from this forum. His comment was that oh, the people on the forum are dangerous because they are posting information out there and then you as a customer take it as gold and expect that to be the fix when it might not. Whatever. You guys are a WEALTH of information and I'm sticking with your suggestions. I agree, that dealership is defensive and really getting on my last nerve. I got really bitchy and I told him I'm not going away and that this WILL be fixed. I also threw it in there that I will take it to another dealer if I have to. I sure hope I get a survey in the mail about my service experience, they want all 5 out of 5, well, guess what......it will be 1 out of 5.

I'm still mad about the screwing around with my seat and re programming it to the position they put it in. I mean really - who does that?

stevec5375
09-23-11, 10:18 AM
Thanks Razor!

I'm going to call your dealer next week and speak to the guy you suggested in service. If I reference the forum will he know what I'm talking about? I'm still concerned about my engine shaking. It just seems overall that it's running rough still. I'm just a hair over 30K miles.....the only maintenance I have done is oil changes and 2 tire rotations. I still need to read the manual as Sube suggested - just been busy with no time. Is it time for a tune up perhaps?

Just called the dealer and spoke to the guy I was working with in service. He said they did a REPROGRAM and not a replace. I guess that's the issue. I need to have the REPLACMENT actuator. He insists that they have to do what TAC tells them to do and that for this model this is normal. I'm not buying it. I mentioned this 2012 actuator and he was all up in arms about it saying that the parts might not be inter changeable. He really seems threatened by the fact I'm getting information from this forum. His comment was that oh, the people on the forum are dangerous because they are posting information out there and then you as a customer take it as gold and expect that to be the fix when it might not. Whatever. You guys are a WEALTH of information and I'm sticking with your suggestions. I agree, that dealership is defensive and really getting on my last nerve. I got really bitchy and I told him I'm not going away and that this WILL be fixed. I also threw it in there that I will take it to another dealer if I have to. I sure hope I get a survey in the mail about my service experience, they want all 5 out of 5, well, guess what......it will be 1 out of 5.

I'm still mad about the screwing around with my seat and re programming it to the position they put it in. I mean really - who does that?

Don't feel left out. The idiots at my dealership do it too! Last time I picked up car I had to pull over in the service drive and reset everything.

PJ1520
09-23-11, 10:18 AM
Razor said it beautifully. There IS a fix. There IS a solution. Others with the problem HAVE had them rectified. Razor even provided a PARTS OPTION with the actuator. There ARE dealerships that are a cut above as he pointed out. AND YOUR DEALER NEEDS TO PICK UP THE FREAKIN PHONE AND CALL ANOTHER CADILLAC DEALERSHIP IF THEY NEED HELP (NAPERVILLE).

Razor is also correct.......sales and service are separate entities under one roof, and I am not sure how much they cross communicate or how much incentive a dealership feels in a scenario such as yours. In this scenario the salesparson is your friend and "inside" advocate. That is why I visit my salesperson every time I drop my SRX off for service......so he has a heads up. If he is not in, I email him and/or call him to let him know "MY" vehicle is in HIS shop. Every time, he checks up on my issue for me and touches base with me. These sales people have a lot of down time to do this for a customer. They have a financial incentive to get involved: a happy customer, referrals of my friends and relatives, and a possible repeat customer, me. He has a personal stake in a positive outcome, where the service techs and manager.....not so much.

Regarding the tech's comment that in fixing one thing another issue might arise!?!? That comes across as: "If we operate on your car, Cadigirl, we just might screw something else up. Pick your poison."

If they can build them correctly on the front end, then they can dissassemble them, fix them, and reassemble them correctly without causing further harm. This is not an engine overhaul!!!!! If that guy's comment were a normal occurence, few would ever take their car in for service, under warranty or no! I suspect one would not hear that same comment if the issue was not under warranty because their is a higher gross profit for the dealership in a non-warranty, customer pays repair.

I apologize for posting so much on this topic. No offense intended to anyone, but if I ever find myself unresponsively senile or in a coma, please just wheel me into a car dealership service department. Some of my previous frustrations will certainly trigger my senses and will for one last battle.

PJ

smiley47
09-23-11, 10:37 AM
If it were me, I'd be DONE with Weil. They've let you down several times. I wouldn't trust them to call another dealer given their know-it-all attitude and shoddy track record. Then resetting the seat memory....Sheesh. That's very unprofessional and speaks volumes about the "culture" at Weil. Just call the Naperville contact and hopefully they'll fix it right the first time so you can enjoy your SRX without this nagging issue.

I guess I'm one of those "dangerous" people he referred to.

RippyPartsDept
09-23-11, 10:40 AM
again, contact customer service (on this forum) and point them to this thread ... they might be able to get your dealer to act right

if you just say 'screw it' and go to another dealer then GM doesn't know that they've got a customer service problem at that dealer

cadigirlchicago2
09-23-11, 11:07 AM
If it were me, I'd be DONE with Weil. They've let you down several times. I wouldn't trust them to call another dealer given their know-it-all attitude and shoddy track record. Then resetting the seat memory....Sheesh. That's very unprofessional and speaks volumes about the "culture" at Weil. Just call the Naperville contact and hopefully they'll fix it right the first time so you can enjoy your SRX without this nagging issue.

I guess I'm one of those "dangerous" people he referred to.

Yeah, you guys are really "dangerous"...LOL!

Ok, I am DONE. I didn't appreciate their know it all attitude either. They seemed more interested in arguing with me and being defensive over me presenting them with the exact info the fix the problems. The guy in service was like even the service manager drove it and can't find what you're taking about. Yeah, that whole seat thing really **issed me off. I got in the car and the seat was way down on the floor, reclined back like big pimpin style....took me forever to get it back to how I had it before. That was beyond rude that they would adjust my memory button. I checked setting #2 for my husband and it was the same as he has it.

Can you guys please tell me where to find the customer service link on the forum as Rippy suggested, I'll do that today or over the weekend.

RippyPartsDept
09-23-11, 11:36 AM
Customer Care has their own forum here

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4373/cccforum.jpg

i would suggest that you start a thread in there that basically just points to this thread

and if you get no response in a day or two then go back in to one of the threads that the Customer Care rep has posted on and click their username to send them a PM
(i doubt you'll have to do that, but just in case)

GMJim
09-23-11, 12:09 PM
Try this, I will escalate if need be. Jim

If the customer is still not able to resolve their issue at the dealership level, GM employees can assist the customer by providing them with a special Customer Assistance number for assistance and to open a Service Request (SR) case. The phone number to call
is: 1-866-509-9090

If the customer’s issue is still unresolved after calling the customer assistance center, the employee can assist the customer by requesting to have the case escalated further with the customer assistance center by completing the following escalation request.

Razorecko
09-23-11, 08:40 PM
Cdgirl, let customer rep know Weil performance but DO NOT give them the chance to fix it afterwards. The service call they will get from GM will leave a sour taste in their mouth and they will not be cordial with you at all. Give B.J a call , tell him you were referred by a few people from cadillac forums and it should be a pleasant expeirance. In terms of you having 30k miles and needing maintenance if you have the awd srx than I would say a transmission fluid flush & differential fluid flush. If you have the fwd than just the trans fluid flush. You can ask B.J what he recommends and he'll give you a straight forward honest answer. G'luck ! keep us updated

RippyPartsDept
09-24-11, 10:40 AM
check your owner's manual for the recommended service info (it's at the way back in the service & maintenance section)

a cabin air filter and an engine air filter (if needed) are probably about all that's recommended at this mileage

what percent is your Oil Life Monitor at?

also, the transmission (and transfer case if awd) fluid is recommended to be changed out (drain and refill not flush) at 100,000 miles
(or at 50,000 miles if you fall under the 'severe' category of towing or mountain use, or taxi/delivery)

lots of good info in that owner's manual

cadigirlchicago2
11-09-11, 09:19 PM
Today it happened again....I just left work, was maybe 10 minutes into my drive at a red light and the idle started to shake again. The entire engine was shaking and for the first time the engine light came on in the cluster and flashed about 5 or 6x. I immediately pushed my onstar button for the to run a diagnostic but it wasn't able to pull anything. They transferred me to the onstar technical guy and he said it could be a sparkplug issue, or engine timing? Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow anyways so I guess this is good timing. There's obviously SOMETHING that isn't right.....wish some error code would have come up to get this pin pointed. As always, thank you in advance for any tips!

sube5186
11-09-11, 09:49 PM
Insist that they keep it until they find the problem. Don't settle for the, "We can't find anything, so there must not be anything wrong" line of crap. If they can't find anything, then they're not looking hard enough.

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
11-09-11, 09:59 PM
thanks Sube! Yes, there is clearly something wrong. I just hope they find it sooner than later! My last 2 cars I have somehow had faulty fuel sensors...maybe it's a fuel sensor issue? I'm taking my hubby with me tomorrow since he needs a car for the day so I'll have him tell them firmly that we don't want it back until they find the problem.

sube5186
11-09-11, 10:15 PM
My last 2 cars I have somehow had faulty fuel sensors...maybe it's a fuel sensor issue?

Don't be afraid to suggest this or any other possible cause. Some people think the service dept. will take it as an insult if you mention what you think a problem may be. Any decent service tech will not be offended by this. It gives them a potential starting point.

Sube

Razorecko
11-10-11, 09:42 AM
Today it happened again....I just left work, was maybe 10 minutes into my drive at a red light and the idle started to shake again. The entire engine was shaking and for the first time the engine light came on in the cluster and flashed about 5 or 6x. I immediately pushed my onstar button for the to run a diagnostic but it wasn't able to pull anything. They transferred me to the onstar technical guy and he said it could be a sparkplug issue, or engine timing? Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow anyways so I guess this is good timing. There's obviously SOMETHING that isn't right.....wish some error code would have come up to get this pin pointed. As always, thank you in advance for any tips!

If the engine light flashed there are codes for what happened in your ECM. You just need to go to a place that cares enough to download the full info from your vehicle.

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 10:02 AM
Well, I took it in this morning. They are trying to tell me that it might possibly be my oil. The car says I have 10% oil life left. He said it's been 10,000 miles since I had my last oil change and that's too long. After 2000 miles I'm using a quart of oil and that I'm supposed to be checking my oil monthly and topping it up. Does anyone else do that? Am I doing something wrong by not checking it or letting it go to 10% oil life? It's expensive to get an oil change so I'm just trying to get my dollars worth. He said this could be the cause of the engine flutter. Agree or disagree?

Razorecko
11-10-11, 10:05 AM
Well, I took it in this morning. They are trying to tell me that it might possibly be my oil. The car says I have 10% oil life left. He said it's been 10,000 miles since I had my last oil change and that's too long. After 2000 miles I'm using a quart of oil and that I'm supposed to be checking my oil monthly and topping it up. Does anyone else do that? Am I doing something wrong by not checking it or letting it go to 10% oil life? It's expensive to get an oil change so I'm just trying to get my dollars worth. He said this could be the cause of the engine flutter. Agree or disagree?

Not to be an @ss but you wont diagnose it yourself, and the crappy dealer you're going to obviously can't diagnose it, if you dont want to take the advice of going to a better dealer than what are your options ?? The oil change is the biggest bunch of b.s i've ever heard.

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 10:18 AM
I had to go back 1 more time, I have a WE OWE oil change, so I have to use that first. Then I can go elsewhere.

RippyPartsDept
11-10-11, 10:31 AM
it's very possible that if you're using a quart of oil every 2000 miles
and if you're not topping up you've only got 1 quart of oil left in the engine and that would cause the car to shake

your owner's manual states that you should check the oil dipstick indicator (usually it says check it every time you fill up with gas but most people will say that's a bit excessive)

2000 miles per quart is getting close to unacceptable oil usage (which i think is 1500 miles/qt)

and by the way there's nothing wrong with taking the oil life down all the way to 0% - especially if you're topping off that frequently
don't go very far past 0% though (even though you're topping off) because while adding new oil refreshes the average life left of all the oil there's still oil in there that's degraded and you don't want to risk major engine work on something as inexpensive as an oil change - heck, you're getting 10,000 miles between oil changes!

sube5186
11-10-11, 10:34 AM
The oil change is the biggest bunch of b.s i've ever heard.

Absolutely!!! It's disgraceful how some dealers take advantage of women. Check the link below and pick another dealer based on customer reviews.

Sube

sube5186
11-10-11, 11:00 AM
A while back I compiled a list of DIC (Driver Information Center, the little blue screen) warning messages taken from page 4-34 of the manual. There are almost a hundred different potential messages. One of those is "Engine Oil Low". The engine light in most vehicles only warns of low oil "pressure", usually indicative of a leak somewhere. But that doesn't warn you if your oil level is simply low. The SRX warns of BOTH. I do agree one should still manually check the oil level. But if you haven't checked it and your oil is low, you would surely get a prominent message displayed in a bright blue screen directly in front of you. Pretty hard to miss that.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/198834-dic-plethora-messages.html

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 11:35 AM
Absolutely!!! It's disgraceful how some dealers take advantage of women. Check the link below and pick another dealer based on customer reviews.

Sube

Thanks! Well, they were blowing this smoke up our butts and my husband was standing right there! Ugh.

sube5186
11-10-11, 11:51 AM
They just sound like a BAD dealer.....period. Luckily for me I live 9 miles away from one of the top dealers in my state. It's not like I did research and selected them based on careful analysis. They are the only Cadillac dealer in the entire county. I guess I just lucked out. Until this forum, I didn't realize the quality range of Cadillac dealers was so expansive.

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 11:59 AM
I will take the time tonight and look at the links you posted - thanks so much Sube! Yes, I guess it's looking more and more like I'll have to suck it up and make a long drive to someone else. I have some days off so guess how I'll be spending my day off? Super. Well, if they can fix it the first time then it will be time well spent.

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 01:20 PM
YAY!!!! Dealership just called me - the engine light did trigger a code - problem was a #1 ignition coil and spark plug! Problems resolved!!!! YAY!!!!! Thanks everyone for your help - hopefully this is the end of the issues with the car!

On a side note, they had the new model's on the showroom floor - really nice looking! Drool....

RippyPartsDept
11-10-11, 01:41 PM
coil and plug was going to be my initial guess untill you mentioned the low oil situation

sube5186
11-10-11, 05:08 PM
YAY!!!! Dealership just called me - the engine light did trigger a code - problem was a #1 ignition coil and spark plug! Problems resolved!!!! YAY!!!!! Thanks everyone for your help - hopefully this is the end of the issues with the car!

On a side note, they had the new model's on the showroom floor - really nice looking! Drool....

That's great news! So how did they explain that BS about low oil? With a misdiagnosis like that, it's a good thing they're not doctors. You'd probably be dead by now.

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 05:22 PM
That's great news! So how did they explain that BS about low oil? With a misdiagnosis like that, it's a good thing they're not doctors. You'd probably be dead by now.

Sube

Sube, of course they didn't say a word about the oil. My husband said he was biting his lip the whole time and trying not to laugh when we were being fed that line. Bottom line is if the car did have low oil - the light would come on. I have NEVER checked oil in any of my cars and am not about to start now. Just not my thing being a girl I guess. I don't mind going more often for oil changes, but I'm certainly not going to make myself crazy over this. I can go to another dealer closer to my office so I think I'll try that next time for the oil change/tire rotation and see how that goes.

Razorecko
11-10-11, 09:30 PM
i'd like to know how they didnt find any codes in the computer for the check engine light and than later on they magically did

cadigirlchicago2
11-10-11, 10:42 PM
Razor - the last time I had it in afew months ago, I never had an engine light come on so there were no codes they said. I think they tried to replicate the RPM issue on a test drive but it didn't and that's when they said it might be the brand of gas I was buying. Yesterday was the first time that the engine light came on and flashed afew times. Onstar couldn't pull a code but the dealership did. Well, I'm pleased it's fixed. Hopefully I can live in peace for awhile. I'm still puzzled about the oil. I don't mind taking it more often for oil changes but if the oil was low, the light would come on.

Razorecko
11-11-11, 01:41 AM
Razor - the last time I had it in afew months ago, I never had an engine light come on so there were no codes they said. I think they tried to replicate the RPM issue on a test drive but it didn't and that's when they said it might be the brand of gas I was buying. Yesterday was the first time that the engine light came on and flashed afew times. Onstar couldn't pull a code but the dealership did. Well, I'm pleased it's fixed. Hopefully I can live in peace for awhile. I'm still puzzled about the oil. I don't mind taking it more often for oil changes but if the oil was low, the light would come on.

Your oil level is fine. Thats just them trying to make a buck. I misunderstood on the cel light. Onstar will not be able to properly diagnose symptoms like that but any dealer can if they make the effort. Hope your issue gets resolved but it just sounds like a bad spark plug from the factory. If that is the case i would demand that they replace all of the spark plugs under warranty at the same time as you dont know if the air/fuel ratio was thrown off and started eroding the other plugs or wearing them down prematurely.

cadigirlchicago2
11-11-11, 09:54 AM
Ok, I will call the service manager and ask for that as well. Thanks Razor!

cadigirlchicago2
11-11-11, 01:27 PM
Hit and a miss. I just called the dealership and they told me that they won't replace anything that isn't failing. He said I am covered under warranty 4 years or 50,000 miles. I'm currently at 34,000. He went on and on about the inner workings of stuff that I have no idea about. So basically, they told me no.

Razorecko
11-11-11, 01:41 PM
not really suprising =/

cadigirlchicago2
11-13-11, 12:44 AM
It would appear that I'm not out of the woods yet. We drove the car alot today and the idle shake happened again. Wasn't enough to trigger another check engine light but still, something is still wrong. Since I had a defective #1 coil and they said they replaced the spark plug just as a precaution - are there other #'s of coils that could be causing this issue? Anyone got any brilliant ideas? ugh. I was really hoping that this was taken care of...I guess not.

Cooper10
11-13-11, 07:36 AM
How many miles are on the Vehicle?
1- Drive vehicle until fuel tank is almost empty/ water may be tank. Full fuel tank with 10 gallons of Chevron premium
2- Find a road where you can drag race a few times/ full throttle acceleraton to 75 mph.
3- This may clean out the injectors and unfoul the spark plugs and reset the engine timing.
4- Onboard computer learns your driving habits and programs for high performance driving.

My 2010 SRX Luxury had this low idle flutter and the above steps made it go away.

Razorecko
11-13-11, 11:01 AM
It would appear that I'm not out of the woods yet. We drove the car alot today and the idle shake happened again. Wasn't enough to trigger another check engine light but still, something is still wrong. Since I had a defective #1 coil and they said they replaced the spark plug just as a precaution - are there other #'s of coils that could be causing this issue? Anyone got any brilliant ideas? ugh. I was really hoping that this was taken care of...I guess not.

Like I said, one defective plug could have fouled out other ones. It sucks that the dealer is doing the bare minimum instead of going further and taking the extra steps. I guess it could be worse though and could deny that the issue is still there. Sounds like they should pull all the plugs and check them and than volt check the wires/coils make sure the whole ignition system is running properly. Than put in some BG injector cleaner in there and see how it is after a few miles

cadigirlchicago2
11-13-11, 12:00 PM
Like I said, one defective plug could have fouled out other ones. It sucks that the dealer is doing the bare minimum instead of going further and taking the extra steps. I guess it could be worse though and could deny that the issue is still there. Sounds like they should pull all the plugs and check them and than volt check the wires/coils make sure the whole ignition system is running properly. Than put in some BG injector cleaner in there and see how it is after a few miles

Thanks! I don't think I have the patience to go back to them again. I just can't take one more far out there story/excuse. I might try Foley which is closer to my work and see how that goes first before making the hike to the other dealership that was suggested.

cadigirlchicago2
11-13-11, 12:07 PM
How many miles are on the Vehicle?
1- Drive vehicle until fuel tank is almost empty/ water may be tank. Full fuel tank with 10 gallons of Chevron premium
2- Find a road where you can drag race a few times/ full throttle acceleraton to 75 mph.
3- This may clean out the injectors and unfoul the spark plugs and reset the engine timing.
4- Onboard computer learns your driving habits and programs for high performance driving.

My 2010 SRX Luxury had this low idle flutter and the above steps made it go away.

Hi
I just hit over 34,000. I just drove the car to almost empty as well so I'm guessing that's not my issue. We drove 6 hrs yesterday on the expressway at high speeds so I would hope that would have cleaned it out. Then when we got back into the suburbs the issue showed itself again. My husband was driving so I'm glad it happened for him to see it and feel it.

paid4c4
11-13-11, 12:45 PM
Actually, OnStar does a whole lot more than just give directions. Part of the service includes "Vehicle Diagnostics". It analyzes multiple vehicle components and sends the info back to OnStar. OnStar then sends you a monthly email listing your vehicle's status. However, they can also do an on-demand vehicle diagnostics at your request.

You're not due for a tune up for quite a while. It might benefit you to get familiar with the maintenance section of you owner's manual. That way you'll know at which mileage intervals you're due for specific services. If fact, I would recommend you read through the owner's manual in general. The more informed you are when talking to your service dept., the less likely they are to try to take advantage of you. I've had my SRX for almost two years now. When I bought it, no one at the dealer knew very much about the car. I made it a point to educate myself on all of the car's features. I ended up explaining a lot of things to the service manager himself. From that point on, they knew they couldn't just tell me anything and I'd swallow it. Knowledge is power.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Watch these two videos:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/ovdexplore

Sube

Sube, you hit a home run with knowledge is power, especially when dealing with dealer service departments. I took my last car to the dealer for a transmission re-flash and was told there was no re-flash. I then handed them the Service Bulletin and ask to see the Service Manager for a "lets get on the same team discussion." I never had another problem with service at that dealership. I have found you get the service you demand and don't settle for the "Stealership Hustle." Know your car, know your service manager and know you dealership manager and don't be afraid to go to the next level if you get that "deer in the headlights" look from the service staff. Just because it says Cadillac doesn't mean its good, I've owned a Cadillac diesel, a Deville 4.1 L, 8-6-4, and a Deville with a V6. The diesel was junk, the 4.1L required a head gasket or short block with every other oil change, the 8-6-4 didn't know how many cylinders to use ever, and the V6 required a quart of oil with each fuel fill up. I'm back as a Cadillac customer after research and thinking maybe they finally have it right, we'll see.
Bill

stevec5375
11-13-11, 01:09 PM
Sube, you hit a home run with knowledge is power, especially when dealing with dealer service departments. I took my last car to the dealer for a transmission re-flash and was told there was no re-flash. I then handed them the Service Bulletin and ask to see the Service Manager for a "lets get on the same team discussion." I never had another problem with service at that dealership. I have found you get the service you demand and don't settle for the "Stealership Hustle." Know your car, know your service manager and know you dealership manager and don't be afraid to go to the next level if you get that "deer in the headlights" look from the service staff. Just because it says Cadillac doesn't mean its good, I've owned a Cadillac diesel, a Deville 4.1 L, 8-6-4, and a Deville with a V6. The diesel was junk, the 4.1L required a head gasket or short block with every other oil change, the 8-6-4 didn't know how many cylinders to use ever, and the V6 required a quart of oil with each fuel fill up. I'm back as a Cadillac customer after research and thinking maybe they finally have it right, we'll see.
Bill

Bill,

You are clearly a LOT more patient than I am. After all that you went through with all those different Cadillacs, I'm totally amazed that you would return to that brand and "take your chances" again. I told a coworker the other day of all the things that have had to be fixed on my 2010 SRX with 10,500 miles and his comment was that he would never buy another one after all that.

I hope you have good luck with this one. I think I'm moving on to some other brand when I make my next auto purchase.

paid4c4
11-13-11, 04:33 PM
I just hope I don't regret getting another Infiniti FX35, I'm being open minded. We'll see.
Bill

stevec5375
11-13-11, 04:37 PM
I just hope I don't regret getting another Infiniti FX35, I'm being open minded. We'll see.
Bill

I've had two Infinitis and one Nissan and had not an ounce of problems with any of them. I've never owned the FX series though.

Razorecko
11-13-11, 08:32 PM
yea gotta admit. My 2001 Infiniti qx4 was a beast. I was hard as heck on that vehicle and in the whole 35k miles I owned it only an 02 sensor went out. That was it.

stevec5375
11-13-11, 08:57 PM
yea gotta admit. My 2001 Infiniti qx4 was a beast. I was hard as heck on that vehicle and in the whole 35k miles I owned it only an 02 sensor went out. That was it.

Hey! I had that model as well and finally traded it in on my SRX. It had 80K miles on it and barely a scratch. The thing was flawless the whole time I owned it. I would have gone with Infiniti for round 3 except they really didn't have anything that appealed to me. IMHO, the FX/EX series are not my style.

cadigirlchicago2
11-14-11, 09:53 AM
Could it be the cam shaft? If there's a problem with that, would it cause the coil and spark plug to fail?

Huey Driver
11-14-11, 10:28 AM
It may well be the cam shaft sensor or something, but the real big question is why are you left to diagnose it and with what experience?

Here's my random thoughts on this and other similar issues:
I will always try and gather as much info as I can for the dealer, but its doubtful I can come close to whats in the OBD. Computers monitoring computers, and if there is anything out of spec, its been my experience it WILL get caught.
Premium gas, not necessary UNLESS its for some special detergent (which probably isnt all that special). 20 years ago, Mobil only put detergent in Premium, but chevron puts it in all levels, if I recall. Stick to the top tier brands indicated by the manual (toptiergas.com) and regular. 34k miles is awful soon to be having injector problems, even from the crappiest brand.
The dealer is only going to do what the warranty allows or he will eat the cost. If the coils pass the diagnostics, there's not much more he can do. We dont really live in a world of diagnosing and 'fixing it' anymore. We let the computer diagnose and swap out whatever the book says. Too many digital signals and low voltage sensors to do any real troubleshooting.
Its not water, that takes several hours to settle out after driving, and a long trip would actually help run it all through.

I know you've tried the dealer, it just seems its time to switch again, or get someone there who is genuinely interested to sit down and try and figure it out. It actually takes a bit to get to that guy tho. He's not the one sitting at the desk when you walk in. Their best troubleshooter is going to be busy, but he's probably just begging for a challenge.

I had the same thing happen to me about a week after I got mine (which would make it about 2 weeks ago) but it was only once and not since. Either THAT computer isnt doing its job, or it was just a transient that didnt exceed values. I think there are some codes that will store in the computer, but not trip the CEL.

Razorecko
11-14-11, 07:44 PM
Hey! I had that model as well and finally traded it in on my SRX. It had 80K miles on it and barely a scratch. The thing was flawless the whole time I owned it. I would have gone with Infiniti for round 3 except they really didn't have anything that appealed to me. IMHO, the FX/EX series are not my style.

ha same here, the fx doesnt have the comfort the qx4 had for me