: Collector car plates - Help Needed

Knuguy
09-07-11, 01:07 PM
Ohio will allow collector car plates for vehicles with under 8000 units made, but require a letter from the manufacturer confirming to get this done (or if the car has over a $5000 investment with receipts) I bought the car modded so I don't have receipts. Any one know who or what dept at GM to contact for such a request? Is there a GM member on the board at all? I am just not sure where to even begin.

TIA

Faber
09-07-11, 01:27 PM
Not trying to thread-jack, but I'm curious what the benefits of going this route are. Did some searching, but did not come up with much information. I'm in Ohio as well & getting ready to pick up & register a new to me '04 CTS-V.

cvettr/cts-v
09-07-11, 01:56 PM
There is a customer care representative with their own sub forum here. Click cadillac forums in the black header above and it will be one of the first choices that comes up. I would start there or calling them to see if they can put you in contact with the correct department. What requirements are needed in the letter for them to accept it? You probably need to know exactly what the letter needs no state or is there a form at your dmv that they just need to sign off on. The more detail you need probably the higher up the signature needs to come from and would then be harder to aquire. Is there a benefit to having collector car plates?

Knuguy
09-07-11, 08:26 PM
Main benefit is no E-Check for us Ohio guys. The car is heavily modded and has passed in the past, it was throwing a MAF code that was giving the e-check guys some issue. I've tried cleaner, no dice. A new MAF would most likely resolve it, but I was looking at going to a larger TB and throat for my maggie. I'd rather not spend more money on the stock MAF if I am going to change it, but also worried that maybe there is more causing the code then just MAF. Basically if I get collector plates, I can do whatever as the car is running fine.

All the letter needs to say is the number of vehicles that model year produced by GM and be signed for by a representative. The limit is 8000 units, which we are well within!

Faber
09-07-11, 08:41 PM
That stinks - you must live in one of the 7 lucky counties with the e-check. I was hoping it would allow some lieniancy on modifications - e.g. front plate, tint, ride height, etc.

Knuguy
09-07-11, 09:50 PM
Yep Summit County, MAYBE I'll catch a break on the front plate too by having the collector plate on the rear. I already have been pulled over twice for not displaying (same freakin city too) Ticketed once in 3 years aint too bad.

mberisha
09-08-11, 04:14 AM
Main benefit is no E-Check for us Ohio guys. The car is heavily modded and has passed in the past, it was throwing a MAF code that was giving the e-check guys some issue. I've tried cleaner, no dice. A new MAF would most likely resolve it, but I was looking at going to a larger TB and throat for my maggie. I'd rather not spend more money on the stock MAF if I am going to change it, but also worried that maybe there is more causing the code then just MAF. Basically if I get collector plates, I can do whatever as the car is running fine.

All the letter needs to say is the number of vehicles that model year produced by GM and be signed for by a representative. The limit is 8000 units, which we are well within!

That damn E-Check...what a joke...I remember trying to get my '83 Town Car to pass that emissions cash cow back in the day.....

Not sure if it's still the case....but the E-Check in Valley View (S. of Cleveland right on the canal) always seemed to have the most "lenient" staff if you know what I mean....

Knuguy
09-08-11, 11:37 AM
The staff where I went was helpful, today the test is just a plug in test to make sure no CELs. My CEL is off but a MAF code keeps reoccurring. Im not sure if its a tune issue or really the MAF, the plates get me around both. I posted in the customer care forum so hopefully that will yield the info I need.

cvettr/cts-v
09-08-11, 06:13 PM
I wonder if you could get away with showing the information from comp nine which would show # of all with what ever rpo code it is for the v series which would be ls6 for you. That or any popular magazine articles or wiki seach results etc.... just a thought. I hope gm is as easy to deal with as SVT is whenever I have needed data etc... on my cobra.

cvettr/cts-v
09-08-11, 06:19 PM
Also another source would be if cust serv can't or wont get you to the right person there is a few gm employee members like gmjim and others who hang out in the srx and v2 forums who could maybe help you with good contact info but see what cust service comes back with first.

kjr6306
09-08-11, 06:20 PM
Knu....I have the problem with the MAF code. Light comes on occasionally. Finally checked under the hood and my Air intake tube was loose where it connects to the factory stock airbox. I have actuall had mine come loose several times and seems to be when my MAF CEL comes on. I have maggie as well.....

Faber
09-08-11, 11:01 PM
If you get the letter, let me know. I just got my V today and figure it's probably worth it to go down this route if at all possible.

Knuguy
09-13-11, 12:52 AM
The BMV wont rely on their own or my personal research, it has to be from the manufacturer. I included build numbers from a web search and the link with my original application but seems irrelevant according for their new request for more documentation. Still waiting for the customer service rep to reply, may have to look else where for that. I did get some receipts from the previous owner that should help. I guess I'll find out in a week or three......

Faber
09-19-11, 06:20 PM
Any luck on the letter?