: Low Coolant light on, I look in rez and there is nothing... What to do?

hadesnuggz
09-06-11, 11:53 PM
Not exactly sure what i should do... cant just top it off cause it has dexcool in it...

Anyone have any ideas>?

MoistCabbage
09-07-11, 02:45 AM
You have a leak. If the source of the leak is not obvious, first, fill the reservoir back up to the proper fill level with a 50/50 mix of DEX-COOL and distilled water, then start looking for leaks. It's a whole lot easier to find a leak with the system under pressure, you have 2 choices: Run the engine up to normal operating temperature and snoop around for leaks next to a 200 degree engine with spinning pulleys and belts on it, or, rent a cooling system pressure test kit and pressurize the system cold, with the engine off. The latter also makes it possible to find small leaks/drips, that otherwise would evaporate on hot engine compartment components before you would see them.

jayoldschool
09-07-11, 10:53 AM
With the car cold, feel the bottom of the water pump. I bet that is where your leak is. The seals go, and the coolant drips out of the weep hole. You don't see a puddle because it drips on the serpentine belt and gets scattered when driving. Ever notice your steering is difficult to turn all the way when you first start the car? That is the belt slipping because it is wet from coolant.

hadesnuggz
09-07-11, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys.. I will try to do that and check for the leak when I get home... Can I find dexcool at autopart stores? And also, if I find the leak, what do I do then?

turbojimmy
09-07-11, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys.. I will try to do that and check for the leak when I get home... Can I find dexcool at autopart stores? And also, if I find the leak, what do I do then?

Yes, you can find it at the auto parts stores. You can get it pre-mixed with water, too.

If you find the leak, plug it up :-p

If it is the water pump, it will need replaced. It's not a terrible job, but you should consider replacing the Optispark cap while you have the pump off. A leak that empties the recovery tank shouldn't be too tough to track down.

MoistCabbage
09-07-11, 01:10 PM
:yeah:

However, the pre mixed bottles of coolant, while convenient, are a complete rip off. Buy a bottle of full strength DEX. and a gallon of distilled water. You'll end up with 2 gallons of 50/50 for less than the cost of 1 gallon of the pre mixed.

sven914
09-07-11, 02:57 PM
If you are going to do that, make sure you have an extra coolant bottle. The water jug will leak everywhere (and it is technically illegal to put coolant into another bottle unless you put a hazardous materials label on it).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRawben
09-07-11, 06:47 PM
What happens if I don't see water anywhere? Here's my situation. Last week DIC said coolant low. We added Dexcool and the dash screen cleared the message. Then about a week later - the DIC shows coolant low again and then the message saying A/C off or Idle. Never went into limp mode and the oil life shows 49%. Dh looked today and dosen't see coolant in the upper reserviorr. Removed the hose and no coolant, it's wet, but empty.

Picking up more Dexcool today and will refill and see what happens. We'll check the water pump too! It was replaced back in 07 or 08 by the previous owner. BTW, anyone know where the water pump is on a 99 Seville STS?

Read on another thread about purging due to a blockage - could cause over heating. Do we need to purge when adding more coolant especially with it being so low?

jayoldschool
09-07-11, 07:12 PM
I hate to tell you, but this is the RWD section. We don't know much about FWD Northstars, other than they like to eat head gaskets and drink coolant. Sorry...You need to get your car checked ASAP for bad head gaskets.

turbojimmy
09-07-11, 07:14 PM
What happens if I don't see water anywhere? Here's my situation. Last week DIC said coolant low. We added Dexcool and the dash screen cleared the message. Then about a week later - the DIC shows coolant low again and then the message saying A/C off or Idle. Never went into limp mode and the oil life shows 49%. Dh looked today and dosen't see coolant in the upper reserviorr. Removed the hose and no coolant, it's wet, but empty.

Picking up more Dexcool today and will refill and see what happens. We'll check the water pump too! It was replaced back in 07 or 08 by the previous owner. BTW, anyone know where the water pump is on a 99 Seville STS?

Read on another thread about purging due to a blockage - could cause over heating. Do we need to purge when adding more coolant especially with it being so low?

You'll have better luck in the FWD forums. The engine in your STS is a completely different animal and unfortunately prone to head gasket failure, which is a common cause of a mysterious loss of coolant. The cost of a head gasket replacement pretty much totals the car for all intents and purposes. One of the reasons I stayed away from the front-wheel-drive Northstar cars this time around. I hope you find it's something simple, though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRawben
09-07-11, 07:46 PM
Thanks! Didn't realize I was in the incorrect forum/thread. That's what I get for doing a "search" on low coolant. :)

MoistCabbage
09-07-11, 08:01 PM
Rawben, come to the dark side (the Eldorado/Seville forums), and start a new thread.

sven914
09-07-11, 11:11 PM
My car used to lose coolant like that (have to fill it up every week). There was never any puddles or physical signs of leakage, so I thought maybe the heads were leaking into the cylinders and the coolant was burning off, or it was dripping onto the exhaust, or possibly the heater core was leaking (into some black hole somewhere).

Never figured out where it was all going, but the problem went away and I haven't had to top off the coolant in over 6 months. Come to think of, I used to have a pretty bad oil leak too...

cadillac kevin
09-07-11, 11:15 PM
I want a magical self fixing head gasket like Sven.

outsider
09-08-11, 07:46 AM
yeah the 80's broughams seem to correct most problems themselves. hehe

MoistCabbage
09-08-11, 12:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZSCuBA1qXY

Self fixing cars, if only......:helpless:

outsider
09-08-11, 02:20 PM
lol it's true...a lot of problems on my 87 brougham seem to come and go! It'll have a problem (like losing coolant) and I will be determined to fix it...as soon as I get time to look into the problem it appears to be gone (no coolant lost all year...weird)

hadesnuggz
09-08-11, 06:38 PM
I filled it up with dexcool, and it didnt seem like I used more then 1/6 of the container. ?

And it still has the low coolant light on... I dont se any leaks... Not sure what sgoing on. :/

jayoldschool
09-08-11, 08:32 PM
Did you check where I told you?

turbojimmy
09-08-11, 08:46 PM
I filled it up with dexcool, and it didnt seem like I used more then 1/6 of the container. ?

And it still has the low coolant light on... I dont se any leaks... Not sure what sgoing on. :/

Unplug the low coolant sensor. Worked for me.

jayoldschool
09-08-11, 09:41 PM
If coolant is full, and light is still on, the sensor is just stuck. You just need to hit the coolant reservoir with the side of your fist. HARD. You will hurt your hand before you hurt the car. The light will go out. Works ever time. TJ, try it ;)

turbojimmy
09-08-11, 10:08 PM
TJ, try it ;)

I will! I have a "new" reservoir on the way from thefleetwoodguy. The one in my '94 is leaking where the throttle body hose attaches. I'm fully prepared for that sensor not to work either.