: Car still pulls right..after alignment... Could it be lowering springs?

jwall09
09-06-11, 10:00 PM
So the car had an alignment and i noticed a slight drift to the right. It got progressively worse to it feeling like it was now pulling not drifting and i would say the wheel is turned left about 10-15 degrees. Got another alignment and it did feel a lot better driving home from the Cadillac dealership (different place than first alignment) but again it is getting worse after only a few weeks. Any thoughts?

jwall09
09-07-11, 10:46 PM
Anyone else have this issue with or without springs? What would cause it to pull even after an alignment?

delta_chi_03
09-08-11, 03:30 AM
I just picked up my V-Coupe and noticed the same thing. I took it back the next day for them to check it out and they told me it was supposed to do that...kind of a safety feature so that if you fall asleep you don't drift into head on traffic. I'm just going to keep an eye on the Michelins to make sure they aren't wearing more in certain areas than others.

cbloveday
09-08-11, 06:23 AM
Safety feature?

delta_chi_03
09-08-11, 06:36 AM
Haha, i guess its just safer for other people...not so much the driver. Seems odd to me too.

Gary Wells
09-08-11, 08:05 AM
Ha ha, it's been so long since that wife's tale has gone around, it must have skipped a few generations. My parents had a '50 Olds ragtop back in about '59-'60 or so and when mom went to take the car in for an alignment, that's exactly what they told her too, but back in '60 or '61. That should be in print somewhere then, huh?

Cub Cadet
09-08-11, 09:44 AM
It sounds like something keeps loosening up. This is not how it should be. Try different types of roads/parking lots to see if it somehow changes. If the road is grooved, it will pull. If it is semi smooth, it should just go straight. Also, look to see if you are chewing up your tires. Whatever the case, it is definitely not supposed to be that way.

SecretWeapon
09-08-11, 11:13 AM
Measure distance from front fender lip to the ground on both sides. A height difference may indicate that one of the springs is not seated properly and causing the car to track improperly. Just a guess but easy to check out.

neuronbob
09-08-11, 12:21 PM
Don't forget to check your tire pressures....if too uneven that can cause pulling as well.

elphil
09-08-11, 12:37 PM
9-8-11 9:30am. I get a message that "this forum is not accepting new postings" ???

I see now we have reorganized.

lavaman
09-08-11, 01:33 PM
The "safety feature" response is BS. Your car should drive straight. When I performed alignments I would setup a car so it had a very VERY slight pull to the left in order to compensate for the crown in the road... (most roadways are higher in the center for drainage. Gravity will cause a car to drift slightly to the lower side of the road (typically the right side) so I addressed that in my alignments.

If the alignment angles and pressures are correct (do you have a printout you could share with us?) I would suspect your pull is coming from the right front tire itself. Also its possible that a brake caliper is dragging and causing a pull.

The easiest thing to check is to rotate the front tires left <--> right. If the pull goes away or changes direction the culprit has been identified. You can then decide to either live with it or change the tire(s). A new tire that causes a pull (while not in danger of coming apart) is considered defective and will be replaced under warranty.

HTH