: A/C problems

brapril714
09-06-11, 03:31 PM
Driverside A/C is 10 - 15 warmer than passenger side. I can power the system off while driving a couple of times, and it will work fine for a little while. Whole system has trouble keeping the car cool over 90 outside. It has been back and reprogrammed twice. No luck on fixing it yet. Any input on what to check for.

Patrickdaz
09-08-11, 02:07 AM
Driverside A/C is 10 - 15 warmer than passenger side. I can power the system off while driving a couple of times, and it will work fine for a little while. Whole system has trouble keeping the car cool over 90 outside. It has been back and reprogrammed twice. No luck on fixing it yet. Any input on what to check for.

Our 2011 SRX (6 months old and 12K miles) had the whole system replaced due to failure here in Sunny Arizona. It acted like it was losing cooling capability on road trip, stopped at truck stop for 10 minutes to gas up and use restroom and A/C Blew ice cubes again without doing anything or even opening the hood. Two weeks later began to blow cool again instead of cold. Took into dealer with issue and "there were metal shavings in freon lines" and Dealer completely replaced the entire A/C system under hood. Had to order replacement parts from factory but provided us with another SRX as a loaner while in shop.
Coulter Cadillac in Arizona treats customers like Gold and I will never buy anywhere else. Felt like a family member rather than just a burdensome customer.
I'll never purchase from another GM dealer again other than Coulter Cadillac or Coulter Motor Company (Buick Cad, GMC) in AZ again!!

GMJim
09-10-11, 07:55 AM
Geeze, I thought this was an early 2010 problem and fixed. Sorry about your troubles.
That is the main reason I traded in my 2010 SRX. Lack of A/C.
If you do not get satisfaction, let me know, as an employee, I can escalate your problem.

Jim

b4z
09-10-11, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a damper issue if the driver side is blowing warmer.
My wife's tahoe does this.

PJ1520
09-13-11, 11:17 AM
Our 2011 SRX (6 months old and 12K miles) had the whole system replaced due to failure here in Sunny Arizona. It acted like it was losing cooling capability on road trip, stopped at truck stop for 10 minutes to gas up and use restroom and A/C Blew ice cubes again without doing anything or even opening the hood. Two weeks later began to blow cool again instead of cold. Took into dealer with issue and "there were metal shavings in freon lines" and Dealer completely replaced the entire A/C system under hood. Had to order replacement parts from factory but provided us with another SRX as a loaner while in shop.
Coulter Cadillac in Arizona treats customers like Gold and I will never buy anywhere else. Felt like a family member rather than just a burdensome customer.
I'll never purchase from another GM dealer again other than Coulter Cadillac or Coulter Motor Company (Buick Cad, GMC) in AZ again!!

Jim.........I thought that was finally determined to be the issue, debris in the lines. No? But I don't recall the fix included replacing everything. But if it works and the techs can't actually diagnose and repair, so be it. With the way some of the TSBs are poorly written (vague with not enough detail), it is no wonder that unit replacement may have become the warranty approach of choice.

PJ

99ssconv
09-17-11, 08:32 PM
They can verify the concern by connecting a/c gauges and recording the high side pressure, then they need to connect the vehicle to GDS and under HVAC data look at the high side pressure. If the pressures are not the same then you have a restriction in the high side. All I have seen so far causing this is the drier desicant develops a leak and restricts the condensor. Replace the condensor (contains new drier), remove the expansion valve and if there is a gray substance on the back side of the valve (which there always is with this failure) replace the expansion valve also. I also flush the evaporator and all the lines. Recharge the system and retest the difference on the high side pressure between the gauge and GDS data. They will both read the same when its fixed. I have seen anywhere from 25 psi to 60 psi difference when the high side is restricted..

Ponyman
09-18-11, 04:28 PM
If it is cooling on one side of the car and not the other then there is nothing wrong with the airconditioner itself. Only one unit on the car. It is most likely a dampner not opening properly, or something in the electronics itself feeding wrong information. Just get it in and get it fixed. It is nothing you can do yourself.

99ssconv
09-18-11, 08:48 PM
If it is cooling on one side of the car and not the other then there is nothing wrong with the airconditioner itself. Only one unit on the car. It is most likely a dampner not opening properly, or something in the electronics itself feeding wrong information. Just get it in and get it fixed. It is nothing you can do yourself.

whatever man, I guess you have never fixed a A/C problem on a new SRX. I guess the last 20 or so I have fixed are waiting to come back next summer. Your talking about a temp actuator (they are not called dampners) and when they malfunction its either full cold or full hot. It's funny how people have no clue on fixing modern vehicles and think they know everything by reading posts on the web..

Ponyman
09-18-11, 10:49 PM
Whatever you say. If you are going to get your shorts in a wad everytime somebody disagrees with you then you will not have a happy time on this board. Show me some credentials and I might take you seriously. Anybody can look up TSB's. And yes, if you really are a GM mechanic, then chances are that those 20 cars will come back.

smiley47
09-19-11, 02:15 PM
I for one appreciate 99SS's insight into several of the problems people on this and the Escalade board have experienced. His comments are clearly not those of some "shade tree mechanic". If he's not a GM mechanic then they need to hire him.

Ponyman
09-19-11, 08:56 PM
Appreciate away smiley. A new guy shows up and gets his shorts in a wad so easily? Whatever floats your boat

99ssconv
09-19-11, 09:23 PM
Whatever you say. If you are going to get your shorts in a wad everytime somebody disagrees with you then you will not have a happy time on this board. Show me some credentials and I might take you seriously. Anybody can look up TSB's. And yes, if you really are a GM mechanic, then chances are that those 20 cars will come back.

I guess the one I did today that measured 175 psi high side pressure with a gauge and GDS data showed 86 psi high side pressure will come back on me also then. Kinda funny how after I fixed it by doing what I said in the other posts that both readings after the repairs read 123 psi and the a/c was cooling as it should. Maybe I should tell the parts dept to start stocking dampners, oops! I meant actuators.

And yes my credentials speak for themselves.
23 years as a GM tech
GM World Class Technician
ASE Master tech with 10 current certifications

I dont get mad when someone else disagrees just when they try to give other people advise when they have no clue what they are talking about. Since anybody can look up TSB's I'd like for you to find my fix for this then in your vast collection of TSB's

99ssconv
09-19-11, 09:25 PM
FYI: GM World Class Techs make up just 2% of the GM techs nationwide.

Ponyman
09-20-11, 09:35 AM
All I can say is that your attitude is typical of most dealership mechanics. I only hope that wherever you work that my Cadillac, or either one of my Chevrolets is never in your shop for repair. Of course, I trade often enough that with the rare exception my cars are never in the shop. You have a nice day.

stevec5375
09-20-11, 11:34 AM
FYI: GM World Class Techs make up just 2% of the GM techs nationwide.

99ssconv,

Personally, I'm glad you're on this board to help us out. I thought your posts clearly indicated you know what you're talking about. I know there will be some who disagree with me but I ask you to stick around this board and help us out.

I tried to send you a private message but I guess you haven't posted enough messages yet for me to be able to do that.

Regards,

Steve

Lord Cadillac
09-20-11, 12:22 PM
I'm guessing 99sconv and Ponyman have had issues before. Am I right or am I wrong? If I'm right, maybe the best way to move forward, from this point on, is to put one another on each other's ignore lists... It's very easy to do...

Ponyman
09-20-11, 12:26 PM
No problem Lord

Lord Cadillac
09-20-11, 01:51 PM
I'd rather not have to do that because I BELIEVE you could both interact with one another without issue. Agree to disagree.. Attack ideas, not people. I'm not pointing any fingers because I don't know the story. This topic was reported so I'm just stepping in to try and keep the peace. If you guys can't get along, I'll do the "ignore" thing. I'm just confident I don't need to do that...

Ponyman
09-20-11, 02:27 PM
I can do the ignore thing myself. Don't need Steve to tell me to do it. I was already ahead of him and you, but thanks for the offer of help

brapril714
09-20-11, 04:10 PM
OK, back from dealer and Freon level was at 1.5lbs, they filled to 2.1lbs (i believe). Of course we have now cooled down to the 80's, so I haven't noticed any problems. They finally fixed the squeaky seat also, factory forgot to install felt washer on seat belt clip.

99ssconv
09-20-11, 08:04 PM
sorry to say but 1.5 lbs will not cause you an issue. The spec on a full charge is 1.61 lbs. Hope they got you fixed. My simple test that I posted in previous posts will tell them exactly if you have a restriction issue. Out of all the 2010 and 2011 SRX's that I have fixed every single one had a receiver drier come apart internally causing the concern. I would bet if they did a evacuate and a vacuum they would have gotten the full charge out of the system, most guys dont like to wait for the machine to pull a vacuum and without doing that there is a small amount of freon left.

OK, back from dealer and Freon level was at 1.5lbs, they filled to 2.1lbs (i believe). Of course we have now cooled down to the 80's, so I haven't noticed any problems. They finally fixed the squeaky seat also, factory forgot to install felt washer on seat belt clip.

PJ1520
09-23-11, 02:10 PM
99ss.........out of curiosity, and please bear with me.

Why is this a nearly two year, ongoing issue? Why are service techs still stumped?

I realize that when an automobile is newly released, issues such as this A/C issue arise. The the number of issue occurences rises. Data is captured. With a specific vehicle model, and A/C unit, over time the probable/more likely cause data is accumulated. Then the "things to check and in what order" follows. Great for a less inexperienced service tech, even one with certification.

But.........the actual mechanics of how an automobile A/C unit works, or any A/C unit works, has not changed too much in the past half century. Granted, thermostatically controlled units and multiple cooling zones have been added to cars. Same with "drier boxes and dessicants. These all add to the complexity of the correct diagnosis and the proper fix......more things to go wrong.

Your experience seems to indicate that by and large the "leaking dessicant" cause in the GenII SRX is the most common cause of customer a/c complaints with the SRX. Or maybe that is a poor assumption on my part, that there are a whole host of other causes for the SRX a/c woes, or automotive a/c woes in general.

So I wonder........

Is there an general shortage of repair experience level at dealerships (name your brand, foreign and domestic), a shortage of air conditioning expertise, a lack of general understanding of the physics how air conditioning works, the mechanicals? Is the training (and certifcation) in need of reassessment?

Why should a dealer service tech at this point in time two years after GenII release still be unable to get their arms around these issues and be stumped? Even with the specific causal data captured at all of the Cadillac dealerships and at their disposal. Is there poor communication amongst the dealerships? Is the data that is captured, and the verbage written so poorly that it is of little value?

I shared this thread's posts with my FIL who is a McGyver type, has extensive hands-on automotive and truck experience, and also experience in the HVAC area, both automotive and in the home. He couldn't figure out what was so tough other than "You can't teach experience." He just kept nodding his head and saying "Yup" while reading your explanations, all the way to the part where you talk about the proper way to evacuate and recharge, and the spec versus actual discussion. Then he lost me in a bunch of "if this then thats."

PJ

Ponyman
09-23-11, 02:26 PM
PJ I don't know if it is the same nationwide, but in my area, the really good mechanics tend to have their own shops, where they can make money off the labor and parts, rather than just labor at a dealership. SS might be able to enlighten you further on that.

srxgal
09-23-11, 04:40 PM

I too had the same problem in Iowa. It only happen on hot days around 90 degrees and only if I was on the road for around an hour or more. Thanks to this forum, I was able to take my car into Willis Auto Campus in Des Moines and worked with my service consultant, Duane Abbott. They found vent temps to be cool no cold and got warmer as you went from the passenger side to the drivers side. They checked for codes and none were found. Checked pressures and found them to be out of spec. Checked freon charge and found no problem. They replaced the condensor-expansion value-flushed the lines-filled with freon and tested again and found pressures to still be low. Then they replaced the A/C compressor-refilled with freon and retested and now appears to be operating correctly. Of course, we are now heading into colder weather so hoping for one last hot day to retest the system myself. I don't think I would have received this fast action if it were not for you reporting your issues which you described to a "T". I would recommend anyone to go to Willis Auto Campus for sales and service because between my Salesman Mitch Dunn and Service Consultant Duane Abbott my experiences have all been super. Hats off to both of you. They too, treat you like a family member rather than a burdensome customer.

99ssconv
09-23-11, 10:44 PM
99ss.........out of curiosity, and please bear with me.

Why is this a nearly two year, ongoing issue? Why are service techs still stumped?

I realize that when an automobile is newly released, issues such as this A/C issue arise. The the number of issue occurences rises. Data is captured. With a specific vehicle model, and A/C unit, over time the probable/more likely cause data is accumulated. Then the "things to check and in what order" follows. Great for a less inexperienced service tech, even one with certification.

But.........the actual mechanics of how an automobile A/C unit works, or any A/C unit works, has not changed too much in the past half century. Granted, thermostatically controlled units and multiple cooling zones have been added to cars. Same with "drier boxes and dessicants. These all add to the complexity of the correct diagnosis and the proper fix......more things to go wrong.

Your experience seems to indicate that by and large the "leaking dessicant" cause in the GenII SRX is the most common cause of customer a/c complaints with the SRX. Or maybe that is a poor assumption on my part, that there are a whole host of other causes for the SRX a/c woes, or automotive a/c woes in general.

So I wonder........

Is there an general shortage of repair experience level at dealerships (name your brand, foreign and domestic), a shortage of air conditioning expertise, a lack of general understanding of the physics how air conditioning works, the mechanicals? Is the training (and certifcation) in need of reassessment?

Why should a dealer service tech at this point in time two years after GenII release still be unable to get their arms around these issues and be stumped? Even with the specific causal data captured at all of the Cadillac dealerships and at their disposal. Is there poor communication amongst the dealerships? Is the data that is captured, and the verbage written so poorly that it is of little value?

I shared this thread's posts with my FIL who is a McGyver type, has extensive hands-on automotive and truck experience, and also experience in the HVAC area, both automotive and in the home. He couldn't figure out what was so tough other than "You can't teach experience." He just kept nodding his head and saying "Yup" while reading your explanations, all the way to the part where you talk about the proper way to evacuate and recharge, and the spec versus actual discussion. Then he lost me in a bunch of "if this then thats."

PJ3

we did not start seeing this issue until about mid summer this year on the 2011 models. Last year we did have a few (maybe a couple dozen of the 2010 models where we were replacing every thing but the lines and evaporator because there was a bulletin for the 2010s. (it payed pretty good too) they actually had us taking the drier off the new condenser and replace it with a different one. Out of all the 2011s our shop has done this year we have not had anything but the drier failures. Some guys do it correct and flush the system and others just slap on a condenser and cross their fingers hoping it doesnt come back. Yes, we have techs like that also. Some techs dont have pride in their work and could care less if the customer has to bring it back. I for one like to verify the complaint with the pressure differences on the high side, make the repairs and recheck the pressures to make sure the high side pressures read the same on the gauge and GDS data. Service techs at the dealership are getting younger and younger, with that comes inexperience and repeat repairs. We dont share results with other dealers, at times we will call buddies at other dealerships for advise. Thats about as far as it goes unless their is a service bulletin on it for everyone to see. If you actually followed the diagnosis chart for the pressures on the ones with the drier failure it leads you to replacement of the compressor. Good old service information for ya!! Run into that all the time, thats when experience comes into play.

99ssconv
09-23-11, 11:01 PM
PJ I don't know if it is the same nationwide, but in my area, the really good mechanics tend to have their own shops, where they can make money off the labor and parts, rather than just labor at a dealership. SS might be able to enlighten you further on that.
out of all the really good techs I have had the pleasure to work in the last 20 plus years none of them did their own shop thing. A few tried but ended up coming back after a year or two. The really good techs at the dealer diag vehicles quickly and with that comes really big money. Really good techs at the dealer can make over 100k a year and not have the stress or overhead that comes with running your own shop. Your location doesn't have the volume of business like a metroplex so I could see good techs going out on their own...

Ponyman
09-24-11, 08:42 AM
I bought my Cadillac in Denton, because at the time GM had taken the Cadillac franchise away from our local dsealer in the big shakeup. They have since gotten it back, although they are really tough to buy from anyway. I haven't had my Cadillac in to them for service, I continue to take it to Denton for the oil changes, since they are open on Saturday mornings. When I have been in my local deaalership for service on my two Chevrolets, it seems like all the people in there look like they are fresh out of high school. They do have two very long time employees that work exclusively on the Cadillacs. I was sure glad they were there when GM had to do a complete engine replacement on my 08 CTS at 1300 miles. They did an excellent job, and you could not tell that the engine had ever been out of the vehicle. They also let me, even encouraged me to come in the back door and talk to them and see the progress, as the car was there for quite some time. These two mechanics did more to assure me that my CTS was being fixed properly than the dealership and GM did.

brapril714
10-04-11, 09:59 AM
Ok, I re-read the tech sheet. It stated that my system was .5lbs low. They refilled it.

Delta
10-06-11, 03:42 PM

wrong thread, cant delete post

Sreed
06-17-14, 11:54 AM
I also have a 2010 SRX and after $800 of service at the local Cadillac dealership (Carson City Nevada), the AC continues to cool (weakly) only on one side. I am
taking it back in this week because I want it fixed and I am not willing to pay more money.
Please advise!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-18-14, 12:31 PM
I also have a 2010 SRX and after $800 of service at the local Cadillac dealership (Carson City Nevada), the AC continues to cool (weakly) only on one side. I am
taking it back in this week because I want it fixed and I am not willing to pay more money.
Please advise!

Hi Sreed,

I do apologize that your dealership was unable to resolve your concern on the first visit. Please feel free to PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership, contact information if you would like an extra layer of assistance while working with the dealership.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

Texas SRX
07-02-14, 10:41 PM
We also have a 2011 Cadillac SRX that has no AC at all on either side. Every once in a while (rarely) it will work but normally not. It is now in the 100s in Texas and climbing. We had the SRX less than three yrs and just broke 50K so the dealer wants $200 to check it out. Check it out? For $200! Nothing to check it's broke so apply the 200 toward repair. Also we just had wheel hub replaced at 51k miles and found out GM dropped wheelhubs from powertrain warranty in 2010?? How does the power get to the wheels with no hub?? Of course it does not so it should be in the powertrain as it is in the driveline necessary to put power to the ground. We are high mileage thruway drivers and always run our vehicles at least 200k and never replaced a wheel hub. Now no AC? ANd this is the flagship Cadillac?? Our six year old Uplander with 160k plus miles gets 28 mpg hwy and zero breakdowns, just tires Micheliens that last 90,000+ miles and oil. Still has original brakes vs our SRX can not get 20mpg and is much smaller, much lighter, smaller enginer 3.0L SRX VS Uplanders 3.9L . I always bought GM but it seems the newer vehicles do not perform as well as the ones they are replacing. We looked at new 2015 Suburban equiped like our Uplander we paid mid 20's for and the dealer wanted over 70k for the latest technology that gets 16mpg???? Who designs a car in this day and age of near $4 a gallon in most the country with 16mpg on the sticker?? We have the cash and would LOVE to buy a new GM just please come out with something worth buying. Where is the eight speed transmissions? Why can't the tahoe/suburban loose weight and have a six cylinder like the Silverado?? WE never see anyone townig with a Tahoe so why the big engine and tow capacity in a grocery getter?? Don't get it GM (Please Mary Barra wake up) let's pray GM survives the aluminum Ford and hope Ford does not take that technology to the large SUV or the 16mpg Tahoe will be toast. In the meantime we have to repair our nearly new SRX..........again......fourth breakdown in two years...........proud and loyal GM owners begging for vehicles worth buying

westham
07-03-14, 10:42 AM
Well written Texas SRX

Ufgators
07-03-14, 11:42 AM
My 2010 Srx has 40k miles. This past weekend on the way to Orlando, Fl on I-4, the outside temp. was approaching 98 degrees, steam started coming out of the vent then the a/c quitted. It blew hot air. Two hours later when the thunderstorm blew through the outside temp dropped to 83, the A/C kicked back on.

adamjeeps
07-03-14, 11:43 AM
A good independent a/c shop can fix you up for less than $200 unless something needs replaced. Sorry you seem to have gotten a bad SRX :(

Nice Ride
07-04-14, 12:01 PM
Go straight to small claims court and state to the arbitrator exactly what you just said. If a rep from GM does not show up to Court, you automatically win. I don't think they will send a Suite to small claims.

bozowing
07-07-14, 11:07 AM
Our 2010 with 60K had to have total replacement, hope not the same for you, but it slowly went out.

bsze
07-16-14, 04:48 PM
My 2010 SRX is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Problems after problems. A/C was weak last year and the refrigerant was low, but they cant find leak after 3 visits. Now the driver side is blowing warm air when its really hot outside. I gave up on this car and just traded it in as my warranty is expiring.

Problems I had in the 40 months of ownership:
- front suspension noise, replaced bunch of things (still making noises)
- rattle from under the dash (still making noises, seems like its a loose spring in the gas pedal assembly)
- replaced gas tank with updated version due to noise
- front diff leaking, replaced housing
- blow rear hatch struts
- front headlight housing leak
- awd malfunction
- sloppy shifting (reprogrammed transmission)
- steering wheel trim broke off

Nice Ride
07-17-14, 06:29 PM
Threw a set of Gauges on 2010. Readings were 30 on LOW side and 148 on HIGH side. Normal range for LOW side 25 to 45. Normal range for HIGH side 145 to 250. ( anyone else with info chime in ). Having a set of gauges can be very helpful if you know how to use them. If its just a little low, you can add Freon easily without over filling. The steam you described is nothing more than the condensation coming off the coil when the compressor cut off. Must have been a humid day. Sounds like it may just be low on Freon.