: The headaches of keyless entry ...

Scarlet
09-06-11, 01:52 PM
Or more to the point.....the headaches of a FOB gone wrong. Does anyone have suggestions for buying a replacement key fob for a 2006 STS? Mine is very hit or miss these days.... it might unlock the car and it might not. Sometimes a quick tap on the hand will fix this - which makes me think I have a loose connection somewhere. I did ask the service guys and they said fobs cannot be repaired - only replaced.... bummer :( So now I'm exploring options on the best way to replace this one.

kschwed
09-06-11, 02:28 PM
Try replacing the battery first.

chazglenn3
09-06-11, 04:38 PM
If that doesn't work they are available very reasonably on eBay.

ddalder
09-06-11, 04:50 PM
If that doesn't work they are available very reasonably on eBay.
It's important to be very careful with eBay fobs. Many are listed as working with the STS but not all will. A couple of safeguards...

Check to ensure the fob listed has the pushbutton for the mechanical key release. Non-STS fobs won't have this (DTS for example).
Obtain the GM part number from the seller. Call your dealership with the number and ask which vehicles this works with.

MCNE
09-06-11, 09:24 PM
I second eBay. Looking for one there now for my vette but I always buy new. A lot of dealers sell there as well.

chazglenn3
09-07-11, 09:59 AM
It's important to be very careful with eBay fobs. Many are listed as working with the STS but not all will. A couple of safeguards...

Check to ensure the fob listed has the pushbutton for the mechanical key release. Non-STS fobs won't have this (DTS for example).
Obtain the GM part number from the seller. Call your dealership with the number and ask which vehicles this works with.

The OP has a 2006 STS. The key fob does not have an internal emergency key and are not as difficult to get the correct fob as the 2008 and up fob.

ddalder
09-07-11, 08:25 PM
The OP has a 2006 STS. The key fob does not have an internal emergency key and are not as difficult to get the correct fob as the 2008 and up fob.
Yeah, kinda noticed that after I posted.

turnerbend
09-08-11, 11:53 AM
The remote from ebay works fine. The remote start will not work unless you reprogram it at either 1 or 2.

ddalder
09-08-11, 03:42 PM
The remote from ebay works fine. The remote start will not work unless you reprogram it at either 1 or 2.
Yes, but again, with the 2008+ style fob there have been a number of reported problems with fobs from eBay. Many of them look correct at first glance but are not actually for the STS and have proven not to work. Anyone purchasing a 2008+ style fob still needs to take care that they confirm the fob, not take a sellers word. The confusion in this post was I failed to notice the OP had a pre-2008 STS.

Scarlet
09-09-11, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the info guys :) I think first off I will have the service guys drop a new battery in it.... can't hurt to try, right? And then.... if this continues I'll be hunting for a new one. Thanks for the ebay suggestion! I just wish I had discovered how odd this fob could be while my warranty was intact (go figure!!)

orange57
09-10-11, 02:35 AM
Take a look at the board inside the fob. we have a fob for our gate here, and it was working intermittently. I opened it up to change the batteries, and could see what was loose, it was pretty obvious. Holding it in place and a touch with a soldering iron fixed it right up.

10thcav
09-12-11, 10:49 PM
I have the same problem with my 2009 base STS. Caddy dealer says there is no battery to replace..must change fob and must bring second fob because if he programs the new fob, the old one won't work anymore.

Not sure if he is blowing smoke or...he just does not know how to open the fob to get to the battery! Comments from anyone would be appreciated.

caddyfat2
09-12-11, 11:23 PM
Blowing smoke for sure!

Anyways....do I detect a Buffalo soldier amongst us?:worship: :worship::worship:

ddalder
09-12-11, 11:42 PM
Ummm... Battery replacement is right in the Owner's Manual. Not sure what page for the 2009, but for the 2008 model year (same style fob) it's on page 2-11. Have you looked in the manual? More importantly, find this and point it out to your "Cadillac" dealer because it seems they don't know their product very well.

And... Just popped mine apart, found the battery... no problems. Just make sure you follow the directions in the manual. As tempting as it may be, do not pry the case halves apart where the spare key fits in. Use a small screwdriver and pry apart at the fob edges only.