: Pontiac G8 GXP to CTS-V Wagon?

ta84k
09-05-11, 04:43 PM
OK...I realize we're talking about a vehicle priced at 30K more than I paid for the GXP, but I'm wondering if anyone here had a GXP and upgraded to a CTS-V? I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge and getting a CTS-V Wagon with 6M but it's really hard to get rid of a vehicle that I love so much. The GXP 6M is my DD and the V would be the same. I may not be able to test drive a V before ordering so I'm hoping you guys can give me your thoughts.

Here's what I'm hoping for in a new V:

1.) Much more performance. Especially low/mid end torque for the street.
2.) Better handling.
3.) Better stock radio. My GXP radio sucks.
4.) More cargo. The GXP is prety good but we now have twins with a lot of stuff to transport.
5.) Similar bad gas milage.
6.) Re-use my new 18" winter wheels and blizzaks from the GXP
7.) Similar head room as my GXP. I'm 6'5".

Thanks for any feedback.

1madstsv
09-05-11, 05:49 PM
I have driven both a cars when new never a wagon but I would not get rid of a gxp for a ctsv. I would spend 6k and put a blower on the gxp and walk all over stock ctsv. Gpx are very rare. Keep it.

dqw1
09-05-11, 05:54 PM
A GXP with a blower can walk a V?

mowershop
09-05-11, 06:58 PM
gxp to a cts v 14 months ago and I don't regret it a bit-I would do it again only quicker. I did it to have a blower staggered wheels better radio and a *******warranty******* I loved my gxp but the V is so much more from the start.I started looking into a better radio a blower and the rubber it would take to transfer the power of the blower and used all that cash on a down pymt. The gxp will be worth some $ someday and I stress someday. My V is my non snowing DD

jb7952
09-05-11, 07:16 PM
I have driven both a cars when new never a wagon but I would not get rid of a gxp for a ctsv. I would spend 6k and put a blower on the gxp and walk all over stock ctsv. Gpx are very rare. Keep it.

Wagons are rare too. I'd guess less than 300 made last year.

mother
09-05-11, 11:28 PM
I've got Recaro's and no sunroof, and 6'5, so long as you don't have like a 28 inseam, should fit fine headroom wise.

baabootoo
09-06-11, 02:20 AM
I definitely missed the full-sized spare hole and trunk space!!!!!!!!! I wanted more power but DIDN'T want to lose the warranty either. I also use my 18s in winter too, with NO problems. The headroom is a wash, at least in the sedan; sunroof to sunroof. The handling won't really be "better" either. It will just stop quicker because of the brakes and tires is all. I don't regret it one day though; especially since there are Cadi delears all over too!

AC Promotions
09-06-11, 08:45 AM
Here's another incentive to consider; after 9/6 GM should put back the manifest program, more commonly referred to as the Pontiac loyalty reward which is $2,000. I ordered an M6 wagon in late June, sold my 139 mile (ended at 158 miles) 09 M6 GXP last month and the wagon should be delivered to the dealership today or tomorrow. Modding the GXP will only lower its resale value; you are making the right decision unless you need the additional rear seat room (as in three small children in need of child safety seats). Search for "Media Avertising" on the G8 board for tips on how to maximize your sale. As a Pontiac diehard it was difficult to sell but the reality is there will never be a G8 GXP wagon with an LSA. Once Pontiacs fate was decided I mothballed my GXP hoping for a CTS-V wagon variant. The CTS-V wagon should look awesome beside my '70 Catalina wagon!

dcc8203
09-06-11, 10:19 AM
I traded my GXP for a '12 Vagon. Just got the call from the dealer over the weekend that the car has been built and shipped.

I loved the GXP and had no plans to sell, but the Vagon was too cool to pass up on. The GXP made the trade possible by holding its value so well.

I agree with the posts above about keeping these cars stock for warranty and later resale. The GXPs are rare, but so is the Vagon (especially with an M6.) I think it'll hold its value as well as the GXP, if not better.

M5eater
09-06-11, 02:32 PM
Wagons are rare too. I'd guess less than 300 made last year.

The Vagon is rare indeed. However, a Tremec GXP will likely end up being far more rare, it's a single model year car from a family that only last 2 years, which also received amazing reviews and is considered by some, as the best Pontiac of all time in terms of shear performance. There are threads every once in a while about the long-term value of a V CTS. The GXP is a collectors car by even today's standards. From a simple investment stand point, the GXP is hands-down the better pick imo. You've also got to consider that there's a reason the Vagon is rare; people don't normally want to spend $70k on a wagon, I'm going to guess that's not going to change anytime soon. While rare, I would be willing to bet that appreciation on a vagon might not be as high as you would think.

I would spend 6k and put a blower on the gxp and walk all over stock ctsv. Gpx are very rare. Keep it.

I never understood this point of argument when car comparisons are made. Throw $6K into a CTS-V and see what happens.

JimmyH
09-06-11, 09:49 PM
Where were all you MT GXP guys when I was looking for one? I looked and looked and couldn't find one for sale.

M5eater
09-06-11, 11:14 PM
Where were all you MT GXP guys when I was looking for one? I looked and looked and couldn't find one for sale.

only 1800 GXP's made, and of those, most were automatics.

1madstsv
09-07-11, 01:09 AM
I never understood this point of argument when car comparisons are made. Throw $6K into a CTS-V and see what happens. Yes but g8 gxp $41,780+ 6k. Our $61,000+6k for a ctsv was my point if money is no object have at it. Gxp what 520rwhp with a blower our a ctsv + 6k in mods 640rwhp. But if the gxp is paid fore It only makes sence to keep it. IMO

Tuna
09-07-11, 11:02 AM
Here's what I'm hoping for in a new V:

1.) Much more performance. Especially low/mid end torque for the street.
2.) Better handling.
3.) Better stock radio. My GXP radio sucks.
4.) More cargo. The GXP is prety good but we now have twins with a lot of stuff to transport.
5.) Similar bad gas milage.
6.) Re-use my new 18" winter wheels and blizzaks from the GXP
7.) Similar head room as my GXP. I'm 6'5".

Thanks for any feedback.

1. Definitely - the GXP is similar to a V1 and the V2 is stronger than the V1 so it should be stronger than the GXP
2. A wash probably but the V2 with MagRide will do it better and ride better.
3. Can't say. The Vagon has a nice sub-woofer in the spare tire well and the sound system works well. Then again, I wear hearing aids and that makes any radio comparisons suspect.
4. A Vagon will have more room for sure. I put 2 mountain bikes in the back along with helmets, coolers and whatever else I need for an afternoon around the lakes.
5. My Vagon gets 16 in town and about 21 on the highway. My V1 got 18 and 24.5. Mileage will probably be worse.
6. Can't say.
7. Can't say.

M5eater
09-07-11, 11:36 AM
3. Can't say. The Vagon has a nice sub-woofer in the spare tire well and the sound system works well. Then again, I wear hearing aids and that makes any radio comparisons suspect.

He's not simply talking about the sound, the whole system is superior. There's no Nav in the GXP, no built-in ipod support, no DVD player, it's not touch-screen, there are fewer EQ adjustments, and frankly it doesn't rise and lower the screen either, so it scores lower on cool-factor. *From* a sound perspective though, it is again, a non-compeition case. The Blaupunkt simply does not have the acustics, the speaker/ tweater count(therefore the high/low frequency range), nor the power of the Bose in the CTS. It (the infotainment center) is probally the weakest part of the whole car in the G8 family.

Kluch
09-07-11, 11:39 AM
I'm no car collector, but I've watched a televised auto auction or 2 in my day and I'm always shocked at how little some true classics sell for now 40 years later. The bottom line is that cars (even rare ones) are crappy investments. The guy who sells his vintage car for a profit would have been better off investing 100 bucks back in day. I hope you enjoyed your GXP. It's time to sell it and move into the V. And in a few years, it'll be time to ditch your "collectable" V and buy the next best thing. Just my very humble opinion.

M5eater
09-07-11, 12:36 PM
I'm no car collector, but I've watched a televised auto auction or 2 in my day and I'm always shocked at how little some true classics sell for now 40 years later. The bottom line is that cars (even rare ones) are crappy investments. The guy who sells his vintage car for a profit would have been better off investing 100 bucks back in day. I hope you enjoyed your GXP. It's time to sell it and move into the V. And in a few years, it'll be time to ditch your "collectable" V and buy the next best thing. Just my very humble opinion.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this. Adjusting for inflation and time/money invested into the car to bring it to a level where it's still worth $60,000, you've probally broken just about even. There are simply very few solid investments when cars are concerned, and since their 'investment' quality is only according to auction prices, it can fluxuate dramaticlly.

JimmyH
09-07-11, 02:56 PM
only 1800 GXP's made, and of those, most were automatics.

That's a dirty, cryin shame.

M5eater
09-07-11, 03:18 PM
That's a dirty, cryin shame.

Sorry, my mole-steak

If you want to assume 22.36% is representitive of 1800,
then
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=10845&page=1

Manual Trans 56.97%
Automatic Trans 43.03%

What's a cryin shame is the V2 ratio.. isn't it something like 80-90%?

JimmyH
09-07-11, 07:12 PM
Regardless of the numbers, I tried to find an M6 GXP. I failed. So I gave up.