: Carriage top removal

drmenard
09-05-11, 12:40 AM
I got a 94 brougham that had a aftermarket carriage top... I was really bad.. I put a few cans of vinyl paint and it looked a little better , but it sucked... So I took it off... It had some rust at the windshield and over a dozen holes from rivets...So I put some rust convertor on the rust and silocone over the holes to keep the water out... Now I have been thinking if I was going to do anything.. It was do nothing to fix the holes and put a new vinyl top... I'm not going to spend the money to have a new vinyl top so I was thinking what else I could do....So this is my plan... Grind off the rust and bondo up the holes and smooth everything out.... Next I and going spray on some bed liner or undercoating from a spray can... I think this will give it a vinyl top look... They did this in the 60's... Then I going to dye the top green to match the car with vinyl spray paint..
Any input is welcome... Dave

MoistCabbage
09-05-11, 01:04 AM
Well, I've never seen it done that way before. Where in Mass are you? I gotta see that when it's done, lol.

drmenard
09-05-11, 01:34 AM
I'm in Springfield..

csbuckn
09-05-11, 11:05 AM
I dont know, seems like bed liner would have too rough a texture. Maybe a couple coats of paint will help but it doesnt work out in my head.

outsider
09-05-11, 12:18 PM
i used the bed liner spray on the interior parts for my 69 caddy (dash, doors, etc) and painted with vinyl paint and it came out nice.

MoistCabbage
09-05-11, 05:40 PM
If you're going to go about repairing it the way you describe, i would suggest welding the holes, instead of filling them with Bondo.

Tennesseestorm
12-19-11, 11:24 PM
Do you have any pics of the car with the top removed? I am interested to see where all of the holes are.

Benzilla
12-23-11, 11:23 PM
Aaand, there goes any resale value.

cadillac kevin
12-24-11, 01:49 AM
Aaand, there goes any resale value.
move to StL (or anywhere with a ghetto full of wannabe rappers). resale value issue solved.