: Bumper Plugs review

tabio42
09-04-11, 06:09 PM
So I bought my car used. It already had the front plate mount drilled into the bumper... UGH. I decided to try the bumper plugs sold by the company of the same name.

I thought about making plugs myself since they are $40. Then I remembered the concept of opportunity cost, and how valuable my time is to me. I'm glad I purchased them because the paint finish was great.

Install-
Instructions are included but install is easy. You drill the holes to a set size (3/8" I think), and insert the plugs. A chamfer bit comes in handy to remove the plastic burr on the outside.

A couple of things for my car -
The hole on the passenger side was drilled too low by the dealer. So when I put the plug in, it almost broke the horizontal plane above the lower mesh (see pics). So if your's is similar, drill a very small pilot hole where you want the center of the plug to be, then drill that out to the appropriate size. You may end up with a larger oblog/elliptical hole, but as long as the width is correct, the plug will seat. I would not recommend inserting the drill bit into the original hole and attempting to route to the new desired location.

My paint was very unhappy and chippy. I would suggest using a heat gun if you have one available.

BEFORE

AFTER

cbloveday
09-04-11, 06:16 PM
Thank you for sharing the process and the pics. That looks very good. Great job and write up.

M5eater
09-04-11, 08:01 PM
I threw some of these on because Eric said that he ended up doing a special run in BDTC, on initial inspection it looks 95% there. I have to wait until it's sunny tomorrow to get a good look at see if it's acutally BDTC or just a very close black metallic. If it is I'll throw the pics I have up.

As far as the finish though, it looks like a pretty good job, but we're essentially talking about painted body trim tree pieces here that cost $32 shipped. Sounds cheap (and it is..) but I thought about it, and they're sort of perfect for the job I suppose.

majdewey
09-05-11, 04:53 PM
I use the bumper plugs on my Black Raven couple and they looks great...Cost about $25 if I remember correctly.

js615
09-06-11, 11:17 AM
Cost about $25 if I remember correctly.

Ditto, they look great on my '09 Silver.

Bigron
09-06-11, 12:52 PM
Do they sell key hole plugs?

tabio42
09-08-11, 12:49 PM
Yeah they do. I kinda regret not buying that because now I have to pay for shipping again.