: Handling issue. Need help resolving.

translux
09-04-11, 12:54 PM
I have a handling issue in that my car does not feel planted at mid to high speeds with somewhat vague steering feel. It’s really apparent with high speed lane changes. Oddly cornering both slow and hard feels fine.

It feels like it’s gotten worse and is impacting my enjoyment of the best car I have every owned.
Dealer says everything fine
Tire wear is very even all around, so rules out alignment?

I have recently driven some other V’s with similar mileage and did not feel the same way. Both of these cars were auto’s a year newer in production but with similar miles.

One idea I have is that its tire related as the PS2's on the car have been un-mounted and remounted as I swapped for snow tires last winter. I know this is not kind on tires.

Car is a 2010 manual with roughly 11K but tires have about 7k as I have switched to winter tires once and still have plenty of tread.

Ideas, comments, questions all welcome as I'm desperate to find a solution.

cbloveday
09-04-11, 01:25 PM
HMMMM, I have seperate wheel/rim combos for summer and winter, so I cannot determine if it is rubber swapping related.

You may want to invest in separate rim/tires combos and check balance and alignment when the summer set goes back on.

translux
09-04-11, 01:33 PM
Yes for sure would love to find some black OEM wheels for the winter.

Wannago
09-04-11, 02:14 PM
I was having an issue with my car's handling, felt like it was tramlining really badly.

After a few visits to the dealer, the shop foreman found this:

I don't know what you are feeling, but wouldn't hurt to have a look. It's the tie rod end bolt, and for some reason, mine was backing out??

translux
09-04-11, 02:43 PM
I was having an issue with my car's handling, felt like it was tramlining really badly.

After a few visits to the dealer, the shop foreman found this:

I don't know what you are feeling, but wouldn't hurt to have a look. It's the tie rod end bolt, and for some reason, mine was backing out??

Thanks I'll go take a look, does the suspension need to be unsprung to see this?
I'm not sure I'm feeling trammeling more of a general vagueness when lane changing.
Living in Chicago and driving on a lot of roads that have tons of semi activity I definitely know that feeling.
For those such as myself that did not know what trammeling was exactly..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Wannago
09-04-11, 07:11 PM
Hard to say, my car was on a lift at the dealership when I took that picture, but I would think you should be able to see the bolt from underneath w/o it being unsprung.

neuronbob
09-04-11, 08:16 PM
It's the tie rod end bolt, and for some reason, mine was backing out??

There was a recall regarding this earlier this year on the 2009s. Mayhap the problem is more widespread? Definitely worth a trip to the dealer to ask, can't hurt for them to put it up on a lift.

JFJr
09-04-11, 08:53 PM
We've all talked about the tie rod TSB. Have you done it? If not and your dealer thinks that your rear suspension is fine without discussing the issue, it may be time to find a new dealer. Recall that 2 members of the forum have spun out because of this problem, and, luckily, didn't hurt themselves or others. Also, don't forget to have the rear knuckle bushings checked. Stay safe.

I hope that all of you car guys are having a great holiday weekend!

Jud

Wannago
09-04-11, 09:49 PM
The recall was not related to the end bolt, and my car was not subject to the recall.

baabootoo
09-05-11, 01:11 AM
Could it just be you, seriously? Flip flopping two tons of car at that speed is rough on anything. You might be feeling the limits of the suspension from side-to-side is all.

translux
09-05-11, 02:00 AM
Could it just be you, seriously? Flip flopping two tons of car at that speed is rough on anything. You might be feeling the limits of the suspension from side-to-side is all.

Yah that's what I thought at first but its not right. After driving a couple other V recently I did not feel the same issue.

Thrill6
09-06-11, 12:01 AM
I would have the alignment checked. My vette had a similar issue (I used the term "squirly") at speeds above 85. Was fine in cornering, but straight line the car didn't seem "planted" at high speeds. The front tires did show wear on the inside corners.