: Time for a Tune Up...

DopeStar 156
10-25-04, 11:54 AM
I've owned my Caddy since May and I haven't done this yet, so I think it's about time. I've never done one before and I haven't had one done to any of my cars so I'm new at it. What do I need to do to complete this task and what do I need to buy? Spark plugs are the only things I think I need, but that's why I'm checking in. If I'm wrong please correct me before I attempt to do this in two weeks nxt time I go home. Thanks.

AElayyat
10-26-04, 07:28 PM
you're on the right track, get a set of wires, dist. cap, rotor, fuel, air, crank vent. filters, pcv valve, set the timing, change the oil while your at it, and set the idle speed and any necessary adjustments the carb may need.

Adam
10-26-04, 10:15 PM
:yeah: :suspense: :D

DopeStar 156
10-26-04, 11:28 PM
Woah! Damn. Haha I may have to take a day off from work there. How complicated is the whole job?

DaveSmed
10-26-04, 11:32 PM
The biggest pain is the fuel filter, and thats not much. its right where the fuel line goes in the carb, right on top. no getting under the car even.

AElayyat
10-27-04, 01:01 AM
I have never worked on a 5.0 but the closest would be my 4.1 and my dad's 472's. I would say depending on your level of skill and how much tuning the carb needs (if any) it should be 2 hrs. or less.

barge master
10-27-04, 05:52 AM
Don't let anyone fool you Dope, you're gonna need some time to do it, esp. if you do the wires. BTW I would do them if they've never been changed. The plugs on the RH side can be a huge pain in the nuts, even with a variety of sockets and swivels. Keep a close eye on vacuum hoses. You will likely find a lot that are questionable.

RBraczyk
10-27-04, 07:32 AM
Hey, I want to hear no complaints about spark plugs with you guys. Your cars are 6 inches off the ground. My truck is close to 18. I can barely reach the second plug back on either bank. Need a fricken stool to get even further back.

jrc520
10-27-04, 01:59 PM
yea, but the right side plugs on the 307 are blocked by the A/C compressor and such. Oh yea, and the first plug on the drivers side it under the alternator bracket, which, despite having a cut-out so you can change the plug, still requires some maneuvering. Not much room in there.

ocjmakaveli
10-27-04, 02:13 PM
not difficult just time consuming and frustration is a b*tch cause it does get frustrating overall though most of it is as simple as it gets most only a couple bolts

for ex. pcv valve should take 1 min. once you know where it is, the fuel filter is 2 or 3 bolts and worst thing is rust so you need some good penetrating oils.

timing and carb adjustments i suggest getting a knowledgeable person to do this cause its not easy.

brougham
10-27-04, 05:18 PM
Mine got a tune up this year too. I got spark plugs and the distributor cap and rotor from the dealer. I got that changed and at the same time I got the oxygen sensor checked to see if it was still good. The timing was already set last year.

The quadrajet I have the fuel filter is right on the carb itself. It's pretty easy to change. I agree with ocjmakaveli about the carb. If it's running right don't touch it. There are several different ways to adjust it and if you don't do it right you can make it run worse instead of better.

DopeStar 156
10-27-04, 06:43 PM
ANother reason I wanna do this is because the engine is after ignitioning and my dad says it's either the plugs or the timing. That's the problem I really wanna tackle.

ocjmakaveli
10-27-04, 08:12 PM
ANother reason I wanna do this is because the engine is after ignitioning and my dad says it's either the plugs or the timing. That's the problem I really wanna tackle.

can you rephrase?

do u mean it knocks?

barge master
10-27-04, 08:18 PM
307's are notorious for pinging problems. Your EGR could be causing that also.

DopeStar 156
10-27-04, 10:07 PM
Sorry, PREignition is what I mean. There's some running still going on after I shut it off on occasion. Usually after a long drive.

barge master
10-28-04, 06:00 AM
I'd bet you have a fair amount of carbon in the combustion chambers. Slow driving, like old people tend to do in Caddys, will contribute to that. I try not to drive mine too slow for too long. Get the rpm's up there once in a while and it may help you blow out that carbon. Try going out on the highway in o/d, get it up to around 65, then pull it into drive and floor it. Wind the daylights out of it for a little while, you may see black smoke pouring out the tail pipe, that's what you want. :burn:

DopeStar 156
10-28-04, 01:28 PM
Haha awesome! I'll be sure to hit Route 80 Next time I'm home after I change the plugs.

RBraczyk
10-28-04, 11:17 PM
I was considering doing that because my dad is a speed limit driver, and 260k is alot of miles to be doing that for. Don't want to kill my only form of transportation though.

barge master
10-29-04, 07:13 AM
You don't want to thrash it to the point of blowing it up, but redlining it now and then is not a bad idea. I had a Cutlass Ciera the other day that had a slight skip in it and had failed emissions a while back. I put the gas analyzer on it and found a lot of hydrocarbons in the exhaust. It turns out an old lady owns it, and it doesn't go far or fast. I took it for a good romp down the highway about 80mph in drive. The car idled better and the HC's dropped way down to normal.

RBraczyk
10-29-04, 10:36 AM
Well I drove down to CC this summer, and if you know from southern Nh, you have to take 95 route 3 and others, so I had just gotten new tires so I was barreling down there at about 85-90 mph. When I got out onto back roads she ran pretty good, but the truck wasn't run for about 4 days, and then when I started it, it started to idle rough and was pouring out blue smoke. Any ideas?

JAKE91
10-29-04, 05:40 PM
My Mechanic Told Me The Best Way To Clean Out Carbon, When Driving Up Steep Hills Continually Accelerate At Various Speeds Instead Of Just Tromping On It At The Bottom Of The Incline.

DopeStar 156
10-30-04, 01:00 AM
Hmmmm would a good burnout help? LOL! I've been dying to do one, but don't wanna use my Fleetwood.

barge master
10-30-04, 05:56 AM
Practice on the parents car Dope!!!

DopeStar 156
10-30-04, 01:02 PM
Practice on the parents car Dope!!! Haha at the moment the only car I can do it with would be my mom's F-150 since my dad's Mustang was totaled. I can't imagine it being doable on my Malibu either.