: Car will not let my wife out!!

Chuckj5
09-02-11, 08:13 PM
My wife and I went to the bank. I was driving, I parked, turned off the engine, wife lowered the window on her side. She was on the phone and wanted to finish the call. I got out of the car. In a few minutes she called me to tell me the car would start blowing the horn when she tried to exit and she couldn't raise the window.
I returned to the car, pressed the lock and then the unlock button on the fob. She was able to exit the car and the horn didn't blow. She had her fob with her. I thought her having her fob would still allow her access to the accessories and she could close the window when she left the car.
What did we do wrong?

Dj Brady
09-02-11, 08:28 PM
My guess is FOB 1 overrides FOB 2 when they're both in the car together and 'took control' of the alarm system when you walked away. trying to exit the vehicle with the alarm activated is the same as someone reaching inside an open window and opening the door with the interior handle from the car's point of view.

Chuckj5
09-02-11, 08:39 PM
How silly of me not to remember I have to look at this from the cars point of view. Sometimes these technological advances in cars overwhelm me. Of course you are right, I must remember I am dealing with an automobile with more intelligence than I have.
Seriously, I think if I apply this thought process I will understand the car and be much more satisfied with experience, after all this is not a 1957 Coupe deVille (my first Caddy) that amazed me with its automatic headlight dimmer and station seeking radio. We've come a long way!!!

ddgm
09-03-11, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking if your wife had pressed the unlock button on her FOB, she would have had no problems getting out.

Doug

malatu
09-03-11, 10:52 AM
It'll be the day when they offer a the luxury of locking your wife out of the car!:duck:

RippyPartsDept
09-03-11, 11:19 AM
Of course you are right, I must remember I am dealing with an automobile with more intelligence than I have.
I hope you realize how illogical that sounds...
wouldn't the car have less intelligence than you, since it failed to realize you wife was still in the car?
i understand the frustration at these kinds of situations given the amount of technology that these cars posses, but you are smarter than the car and you will have to know more about your car these days than back in the old days because there is more to the car...
"the times they are a-changing"

I'm thinking if your wife had pressed the unlock button on her FOB, she would have had no problems getting out.
:yeah:
my initial thought was that if she had a key fob then why didn't she use it?