: Has anyone corrected the Tricoat Black diamond yet?

M5eater
09-02-11, 02:36 PM
I'm starting to think that Cadillac may have acutally constructed the clear out of diamonds on this thing. There are micro scratches (invisible unless under halogen light and they pass the finger-nail test) all over the car, and after 3 passes on a PC with some adams severe swirl, followed by another 2-3 passes with some 4" pads on a drill in the same area, *and* about the same number of passes with some of their low-cut swirl remover, these things don't even have a dent in them (except for 1 that I've been working extra on )

has anyone done a professional correction on our paint yet? Is it *really* this hard? If it is.. I'm scratching my head as to what could have put them there.. Unless it was the dealership's automatic car-wash.

Speedtrapped
09-02-11, 03:40 PM
funny u mention this...I have a black raven vagon that had minor accident in rear quarter panel. When I picked car up from body shop, I pulled up to watch an attendent rubbing my car down with a dirty towel and some water!.....swirls everywhere... I flip and they take car back to "detail", well wax only hides so much...I plan on using my orbital w/ Mezerna super intensive polish, and finsih with einszatt paint polish...hope its not as hard as you say....

PGA2B
09-02-11, 03:47 PM
Use a Surbuf pad on it if you are going to use the PC or go with a Rotary. The issue is that Cadillac puts ceramic in the clear like what is on the Corvette and it is EXTREMELY HARD.

M5eater
09-02-11, 07:27 PM
Use a Surbuf pad on it if you are going to use the PC or go with a Rotary. The issue is that Cadillac puts ceramic in the clear like what is on the Corvette and it is EXTREMELY HARD.

This makes sense now..what's crazy is that it chips so freaking easily though.

Trapspeed
09-02-11, 08:53 PM
Compared to my old 300, this paint chips if you breathe on it. Pretty disappointed about that but if that's the only issue I ever have, chip away.

PGA2B
09-02-11, 09:40 PM
This makes sense now..what's crazy is that it chips so freaking easily though.

You would think it would stand up more and be more resilient to scratching, swirls, and chipping but that is just not the case.:hmm:

The Surbuf pads are AWESOME. It will allow you to do it with your PC. You will still have to use a lot of force but can be done. I was worn out when I did mine. The previous owner was 65 (Funny story- He got it sideways twice and his wife made him trade it for a DTS) and did not take care of her at all. I spent 27 hours buffing and polishing. Here was a shot after I was done. The photo really does not do her justice. She looked wet all the time. I just bought a Rotary to do it again before winter sets in.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3558/1841/33893420014_large.jpg

M5eater
09-02-11, 09:58 PM
Thanks, going to look into the pads, and might see about using the flex polisher from one of my friends for the weekend in the mean time.

How much force did you have to use? I was using light-moderate if I'm honest, as I didn't want to ruin anything on my first try with the PC.

and the loaner raven CTS4 I had was raven also, so I can most definitally appreciate that picture. A flat black car would probably drive me to insanity.

You would think it would stand up more and be more resilient to scratching, swirls, and chipping but that is just not the case.
I know! that's why I was like ....''wtf...these have to be from light abrasions''

PGA2B
09-02-11, 11:09 PM
I used everything I had. I used enough not to stop the pad but just on the edge. I ended up borrowing a friends DeWalt 849 and made pretty quick work of the rest. The side I posted was the side I used the PC on.

Kluch
09-02-11, 11:43 PM
God, I love that STS-V! Nice car. My V-coupe is back raven. I get her "mini-detailed" every 2 weeks at a local shop that treats me well. Costs me $40 bucks a pop. Not perfect, but its all done by hand and saves me alot of aggravation. I can live with some surface swirls and tiny chips here and there.

DrMongo
09-03-11, 10:17 AM
Guys, Maybe mine is a wednesday car;) but I cannot see one flaw in the paint. I have "hi intensity " flourescents in the garage, lots of foot-candles!, can't see a thing under fl or halogen. Just did a full Zaino tx (1-coat Z5, 3-coats Z3, 1-coat Nuba) there is not a single flaw in this paint. NOW, that said, mine is one of the first ;12's off the line so maybe they have changed some of their process. Just sayin.

M5eater
09-03-11, 10:23 AM
They did change the paint process to reduce orange peel actually. I would assume though, yours has no defects as it's brand new.