: Crystal Red Tintcoat

rchern
09-01-11, 11:43 PM
At the beginning of the index of the forums there is one called Customer care Representative. On that forum it says that Crystal Red Tintcoat Paint is on backorder so if you order a car with that color it might be delayed.

Ponyman
09-02-11, 08:50 AM
Probably something to do with that pigment factory in Japan that got destroyed in the tsunami. Platinumn Ice is a victim also. Not just GM, but most companies have had some restricted colors since then.

PJ1520
09-02-11, 12:57 PM
Probably something to do with that pigment factory in Japan that got destroyed in the tsunami. Platinumn Ice is a victim also. Not just GM, but most companies have had some restricted colors since then.

That is exactly what it is. Pony is right! Cadillac, GM and all of the domestic car manufacturers have been impacted. Red and platinum ice aren't the only colors affected. Some blacks from GM and Ford as well.

The pigment Pony referred to that is used in the paint was/is only available from a single source worldwide, and that plant Pony referenced got wiped out in Japan's earthquake/tsunami disaster.

PJ

rchern
09-02-11, 03:39 PM
How much do you wanna bet that China stepped up to the plate and said we got paint for you and the US bought it and it's crap.

cz9h3d
09-02-11, 10:19 PM
Dealers can now put in orders for Crystal Red, Platinum Ice, and the new Xenon Blue. I'd guess you'll see them at dealerships come mid/late October. I did learn that Xenon Blue was previously used on the XLR, so you can google that to see the color. I like it - will be interesting to see how it looks on the SRX.

rchern
09-02-11, 10:47 PM
I talked to my dealer today and he said my order is right on track. They will start building next week. I just hope that if that particular plant was demolished that they didn't throw something together quick and it turns out sub par paint.

jjjleblanc
09-03-11, 10:18 AM
Gray Flannel Metallic was added to the order guide effective 9/5.

sube5186
09-03-11, 10:28 AM
However long it takes, you'll be glad you waited. That Crystal Red is GORGEOUS!!! After almost two years I still get tons of compliments everywhere I go, from the little old lady at the pharmacist, to the eight year old kid in the park. He was so impressed, he asked to take a picture of my car. Everybody seems to love this color. The metallic flakes in the Crystal Red make it almost illuminate under the sunlight. I spent about a month just deciding on which color to get, and I have absolutely no regrets.

Sube

chiefmjk
09-03-11, 05:24 PM
Me too, don't forget the chome tech rims. :yup:

duke11
09-03-11, 11:06 PM
Sube, I have an 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat Premium SRX on order. My dealer told me last week that the order was accepted by Cadillac and I should take delivery by mid October. My question to you is what type of wax do you use on the Crystal Red Tintcoat paint. Also how long should I wait to apply the 1st coat of wax. I LOVE the Crystal Red paint on the SRX! Should I have any concerns with the paint's quality because of the shutdown of the plant in Japan. Please Advise!! Can't wait for my new SRX in New Orleans. Do you have any pics?

sube5186
09-04-11, 02:33 PM
Sube, I have an 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat Premium SRX on order. My dealer told me last week that the order was accepted by Cadillac and I should take delivery by mid October. My question to you is what type of wax do you use on the Crystal Red Tintcoat paint. Also how long should I wait to apply the 1st coat of wax. I LOVE the Crystal Red paint on the SRX! Should I have any concerns with the paint's quality because of the shutdown of the plant in Japan. Please Advise!! Can't wait for my new SRX in New Orleans. Do you have any pics?

Well, first of all, congratulations on your new purchase. I've always heard you should wait at least 30 days for the paint to cure before waxing it. Ever since they started putting clear coats on cars the finish has its own built-in protection, so there's no huge rush to wax it. What type of wax/polish one uses is a matter of personal preference. You'll probably hear a hundred different reasons why one particular brand is superior to another, and each person will swear theirs is the best. I only know what I like and what's been proven to work well for me for over 25 years. I use NuFinish (liquid, not paste) exclusively. It's not a wax, but actually a polish that contains a space-age polymer. It's super durable and lasts a very long time. It'll actually remove dirt embedded in the finish too, and yet it's perfectly safe for clear coats. I'm a fanatic about cleaning my car, but I hate to wax it. Therefore, I need something that lasts because I only do it a few times a year. I've used this product on all of my new cars. I love it. The only down side is you have to be careful not to get it on the plastic trim. It won't cause any permanent damage, but it'll be hard to remove.

Another favorite product of mine is The Absorber. It's a synthetic chamois that's soft as butter. You store it wet in its own plastic tube. Never use towels to dry your car. Their abrasive texture will leave fine scratches that will dull the finish over time. The darker your car's color, the more noticeable these scratches will be. If you've ever noticed how hard and rough a towel is when you first take it out of the dryer, you'll know what I'm talking about. My dealer offers complimentary car washes with every service. I always politely decline because I know they're not using The Absorber.

For cleaning glass and chrome, I use Eagle 1 20/20 Perfect Vision Glass Cleaner. It cleans without streaks and contains no ammonia. I also use this on a microfiber clothe to clean my Chrome-tech wheels. It leaves a mirror-like shine without spots or streaks. The microfiber clothe is non-abrasive and doesn't leave lint behind. Invisible Glass is also very good. I've used it too.

You can purchase these products at any auto supply store or Walmart, K-mart, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the paint from the new plant. I'm sure it'll be up to spec. A delay in the production is actually a good sign. It shows that they're waiting until everything is up and running correctly.

http://nufinish.com/products/car-polish

http://www.cleantools.net/WebSite/inner.aspx?pg=../productDesc.aspx?pid=3&desc=../website/htm/the_absorber.htm

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1087&cat=5004

Sube

rchern
09-04-11, 03:34 PM
I'm waiting on a Red CTS Coupe and when it comes in I think I'm going to tell them not to wax it. I'll do it myself. I use Zaino which is not a wax

sube5186
09-04-11, 06:56 PM
I'm waiting on a Red CTS Coupe and when it comes in I think I'm going to tell them not to wax it. I'll do it myself. I use Zaino which is not a wax

Absolutely! Always make it a point to tell them that, as some dealers use an orbital polisher. Used incorrectly, they can leave swirl marks. If you have a black car, this is even more critical.

Sube

CajunCaddy
09-22-11, 12:11 AM
Hi from a new Caddy soon to be owner. We placed our order with our dealer here (Courtesy Cadillac, Lafayette, LA) for our 2012 SRX Performance Crystal Red. Had a good delay but was contaced by our dealer on 9/16/11 to place our order. Said it will be 6-8 weeks. My wife is hypervenilating.

scottrobb
01-03-13, 08:32 PM
I ordered my 2013 SRX4 Premium in Crystal Red Tintcoat (and ebony interior) on October 27, 2012 and took delivery on December 29. This is 9 weeks so something is still causing a delay.

I was going to request that the NOT wash it a dearly regret not doing so. A very small ding and a few decent scratches were evident when I got it home and looked it over under my garage lights. In addition, there were a couple of spots where it appeared that they touched the paint with some sort of solvent on their fingers. I brought it back to the dealer on January 2nd, pointed out the problem areas with SPECIFIC instructions NOT to wash it. Two hours later it was ready and guess what, they washed it! Not only did they add myriad new scratches to the finish by doing so but also put a bunch of them on the top surface of my beautiful tail lamp lenses! To add insult to injury, NONE of the problem areas had been addressed!

I am incredibly angry that I've spent $53k on a car only to have some morons screw it up TWICE! Now, I am supposed to bring it back to the dealer tomorrow and have a 3:00 appointment there with the actual detailer (rather than some random idiots, I suppose) and am quite apprehensive...

sube5186
01-04-13, 09:39 AM
Wow! I'd be livid if that happened to me. Insist on a replacement tail lamp lens as well as the rest of the repairs. I usually specify "no car wash" whenever I take my car in. I never use towels to dry my car and I don't want to take the chance that they do. Although, on rare occasions (like in frigid temps when the car is covered with road salt) I have let them wash it. I always go over it with a fine toothed comb. Never had any damage. The worse thing they've done is to leave water spots on the chrome wheels. I can't really fault them for that. It's a courtesy car wash, not a detailing job. I'm fortunate to have a dealer that pampers my car. I'd definitely raise a big fuss. :nono: Make the Service Manager aware of this as well. It's difficult enough to keep your car looking new. The last thing you should have to worry about is damage caused by the people who sold you the car. That's just plain outrageous!

Crystal Red Tintcoat is a gorgeous color. It really "pops" in the sunlight. I get compliments on mine all of the time. However, there's one thing you should know. It uses a two stage touch-up paint, a base and a top coat. It can be an arduous process touching up small spots, so be careful and you won't need to use it.

Sube

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-04-13, 02:09 PM
I ordered my 2013 SRX4 Premium in Crystal Red Tintcoat (and ebony interior) on October 27, 2012 and took delivery on December 29. This is 9 weeks so something is still causing a delay.

I was going to request that the NOT wash it a dearly regret not doing so. A very small ding and a few decent scratches were evident when I got it home and looked it over under my garage lights. In addition, there were a couple of spots where it appeared that they touched the paint with some sort of solvent on their fingers. I brought it back to the dealer on January 2nd, pointed out the problem areas with SPECIFIC instructions NOT to wash it. Two hours later it was ready and guess what, they washed it! Not only did they add myriad new scratches to the finish by doing so but also put a bunch of them on the top surface of my beautiful tail lamp lenses! To add insult to injury, NONE of the problem areas had been addressed!

I am incredibly angry that I've spent $53k on a car only to have some morons screw it up TWICE! Now, I am supposed to bring it back to the dealer tomorrow and have a 3:00 appointment there with the actual detailer (rather than some random idiots, I suppose) and am quite apprehensive...

Scottrobb, I'm so sorry to hear about your frustration with your dealer experience! If you're apprehensive and would like assistance working with your dealer, we're happy to help. While the end of my work week is 4:30pm EST today, my phone hotline counterparts are available Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST. So, if you have any lingering concerns after consulting with your dealer this afternoon and would like immediate assistance, I do recommend contacting our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 800-458-8006.

Please feel free to send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance via email!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

scottrobb
01-04-13, 10:02 PM
Thanks Sube and Katie,

Trying to work with the dealer (Penske, Torrance, Ca) and dropped my car off for the detailer there (who returned from vacation today) to work on. They're talking about claying and then buffing it. Seems extreme. I'll know in a little bit when I go to pick it up. Lighting isn't the best there so, I don't know how they can see well enough to do this sort of work there. When dropping it off, I was approached by someone that had apparently just washes/scratched up a car as he was holding a chamois that was absolutely filthy.

Katie: GM must be paying substantially lower wages to Mexican assembly workers now. Is there some reason that they cannot afford to put shrink film on the cars like Honda and other out-of-country manufacturers do? It would have prevented ALL of this... Also, as a business owner and past manager, I see minimal involvement between Sales and Service there. They are clearly two separate entities and communication is clearly breaking down and/or each department is only prioritizing their own interests. Ultimately I, the customer, am getting the short end of these communication problems.