: Aligning the trunk lid

cadillacbart
08-31-11, 05:51 PM
I'm trying to adjust the trunk lid on my '68 DeVille Convertible. The lid fits well (apparently) everywhere except the right corner where it meets the bumper. It's high on this side, and theres even a small gap where the new weatherstrip doesnt reach it on the right side, near the back (I climbed in the trunk and light was shing through here).

Any tips on bringing this corner down? Maybe 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch max.

Thanks for your input,

John

jayoldschool
08-31-11, 06:19 PM
Open the trunk, place a block of wood half way between the high corner and the latch, lower the lid, press down on the corner of trunk. Remove wood, close trunk, repeat until fit is perfect.

cadillacbart
08-31-11, 07:05 PM
Really? I give it a try tonight! I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thank you.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-31-11, 07:29 PM
yep, thats why he has oldschool in his name, that is old school technique that still is used all the time, also you may require a BFH but the wood should do the trick

cadillacbart
09-02-11, 12:26 AM
Well, the block of wood trick worked pretty well. Still not enough. I can still see daylight- ever so slightly- through the weatherstripping at a couple of points in that side (looking from inside the closed trunk). I think the quarter may actually be a little low. I should have caught that before paint. Oh well too late to beat that quarter up. I'm hoping to find a weatherstrip with a higher profile. Don't want water in that trunk, I'm not patching that floor again!

John

jayoldschool
09-02-11, 11:35 AM
To bring the weather strip up, remove the weather strip, clean the area, apply adhesive backed flat weather strip foam to both sides of the pinch to the height desired, apply weather strip adhesive, then the weather strip on top of the foam.

Wait, is this old weather strip, or brand new? If old, replace with new first!

cadillacbart
09-02-11, 01:31 PM
Great idea! The weatherstrip is new, but I've already glued it in. I may have to relace it depending how well it comes out. I suspect it will tear, it's been in for about 2 months.

jayoldschool
09-02-11, 02:36 PM
You should be able to get it out if you are careful. That adhesive is pretty gummy.