: Road Atlanta V-Lab...Oct. 14-16

LFTW8S
08-31-11, 03:17 PM
Just curious if anyone on the board is going.

kirbyCTSV
08-31-11, 04:45 PM
ill be there...i have sunday AM session but might change it.

LFTW8S
08-31-11, 05:16 PM
Nice. I have a Friday afternoon spot (hoping for cool air and a dry track) but might change as well depending on my schedule.

Mikevette
08-31-11, 05:50 PM
I have a Friday afternoon spot with a friend of mine. Looking forward to the nice drive up from Florida to see what our V's can do on a closed course. What a great track to put the V through it's paces. I heard that Johnny O will be on hand to give us some pointers. Way cool, can't wait!!

Mike P.

LFTW8S
08-31-11, 07:51 PM
I have a Friday afternoon spot with a friend of mine. Looking forward to the nice drive up from Florida to see what our V's can do on a closed course. What a great track to put the V through it's paces. I heard that Johnny O will be on hand to give us some pointers. Way cool, can't wait!!

Mike P.

I feel the same...should be a blast beating on GM owned equipment. You can get a good view of the track, and its challenges, on You-Tube. Check it out. The weather should be right to keep the cars fresh and strong all day.

muohio
08-31-11, 08:29 PM
Wait, I haven't heard about this. How do I sign up?

kirbyCTSV
09-01-11, 10:40 AM
Wait, I haven't heard about this. How do I sign up?

if u bought a new 2011 u should get invite...i had to call my sales person and get him to put it in for me. but others have received it in mail.

muohio
09-01-11, 11:46 AM
if u bought a new 2011 u should get invite...i had to call my sales person and get him to put it in for me. but others have received it in mail.

Purchased mine in February of this year. What is the cost for the event?

kirbyCTSV
09-01-11, 11:47 AM
i dont think its open for sale...i think its invite only (could be wrong). your sales/dealership should give u a code to put in here...
http://www.cadillacvserieslab.com/

muohio
09-01-11, 06:02 PM
My dealer didn't know anything about it. Funny that an Atlanta dealer has zero information about an event like this in Atlanta.

M5eater
09-01-11, 06:40 PM
My dealer didn't know anything about it. Funny that an Atlanta dealer has zero information about an event like this in Atlanta.
ditto. it's not on their event schedule at all.

muohio
09-01-11, 08:18 PM
Well, I found the email, but it only had a 1-800 number. I called, but the event is completely booked. Guess I should have called earlier.

BtwoG
09-02-11, 04:46 PM
I'll be there in the Saturday morning session. Should be a blast.

marktanner
09-04-11, 12:52 PM
My invitation came on Thursday from Autoweek, not Cadillac! I am going Friday morning, then going on to Eurofest in Greenville, SC for the rest of the weekend. No mention in the invite for bringing a guest, either, which is kind of strange. I think we drive their cars, and I hope they have at least a few sticks available.

snapper2323
10-13-11, 12:01 PM
I signed up for Sunday AM. Do you think this is worth the 5 hour drive from Mobile?

wshattuck
10-15-11, 10:02 PM
I got to go to this event on thursday morning! what a blast! i thought it was great! even in the rain we were tearing up the straight at over 120 mph... what a great time!

YGBSM
10-17-11, 11:44 AM
I was invited to the CTS-V Performance Lab at Road Atlanta yesterday. Great
event, and I got to meet and talk to John Heinricy (that was the highlight for
me- I've admired his career for at least two decades). He made sure I got to
drive a manual wagon (there was only one there!), which is the model I am
most likely to buy. We only got a few hot laps around the track, and they
blocked off turn 12 so no newbie would hit the wall, but it was still a lot of
fun. The wagon was very easy to drive fast, and didn't feel like it weighed 4400
pounds. Amazing torque and great brakes.

Having driven both the E60 M5
and the CTS-V on track, I can definitely say they are legitimate competitors in
every area.

Cadillac put on a great event and I hope they keep up the
program.

LFTW8S
10-17-11, 01:03 PM
I attended the Friday afternoon event. Great time!! Spent time with John and Johnny. Both great guys. Got them both to sign my supercharger cover and Heinricy also signed above the "GM PERFORMANCE DIVISION" badge under the hood. Caddy did a great job with the event.

BtwoG
10-17-11, 03:38 PM
Yes, it was a great event. Its hard to imagine a company letting a bunch of people with no track experience taking a 556 HP car out on the track. But Caddy did a very good job of pulling it off. They did a few things to keep the risk down, such as putting cones out on the track to force people to take certain lines, making some of more challenging turns late apexes, and keeping people off turn 12. The class room sessions were very informative, especially with the Brembo and Michelin engineers. Johhny O was very approachable. Overall, an excellent event.

jagonza
10-17-11, 08:25 PM
i was at the saturday session. has anyone gotten the email to see their video yet ??

BtwoG
10-21-11, 01:32 PM
Nothing yet on the video for me:(

LFTW8S
10-21-11, 04:00 PM
i was at the saturday session. has anyone gotten the email to see their video yet ??

No video yet for me. Really want to see it.

BtwoG
10-22-11, 01:01 PM
Got my video email this morning. Cool stuff. I was in the Saturday morning session for reference.

marktanner
10-27-11, 09:07 AM
Got my video, too. Interesting to see to see the speeds, G's etc. Audio was surprisingly clear. The event overall was a blast, and very informative. There was only one other V owner in my group, and not many even had GM cars, so I suspect the invite list came from Autoweek.

The classroom sessions were informative, especially when they talked about the tires, the brakes, and the suspension technology. I also enjoyed the smartphone/OnStar demo, though I was a bit disappointed that I can't access all the features on my '09. The driving exercises in the regular CTS coupes were just okay. I did similar exercises at the BMW M school at the Nurburgring, and we also taught them at Road Atlanta with the BMW club, and those were more instructive and worthwhile.

It was great to hammer the V's around the track, although a few more laps would have been even nicer. My first track run was in the manual V wagon, by request. I asked my instructor which suspension setting would do better, and he suggested Touring was better, so I tried it for the first lap. Big mistake, as the car felt top heavy and a bit ponderous. I switched to Sport for the second lap, and it was already in Comp mode. It was much better, but that was the last lap. I couldn't really make a full comparison to the handling of my sedan in just one lap, seeing as I was behind a slower driver, but it was at least pretty close.

My next session was in the manual coupe, one of a few. All three runs were done in Sport/Comp modes, and again it felt similar to my car. My biggest problem was with the damn cones, as they forced some pretty weird lines on some of the turns. I have many thousands of miles at Road Atlanta, so it was hard for me not to take my usual (and much faster) lines, and doing the chicane at turn 12 was especially weird and slow, but it was still a great time. We were supposed to keep the speeds under 100, but I hit 130 on one run "accidentally" before backing off, and I have no doubt we could have hit 150 before braking for 10A, maybe even a bit more. The car seemed at least as fast down the straights as my GT3 was.

I enjoyed talking to Johnny O'Connell and especially with John Heinricy. At one point I asked him about my problems with heel and toeing on the street. He replied that he had no problem with it on the track, and thought that warmer brakes lowered the pedal a bit and made it easier to do on the track. Sure enough, heel and toeing on the track was easy and a thing of beauty! Now if I could only do it on the street!

I also enjoyed seeing the special order parts, like the two-piece rotors, the diff cooler, and especially the dark grille. Unfortunately, they didn't really know the prices. They thought the grille would be about $1100 installed, and it sure looked good! I will keep my eye out for that one.

Overall, a great event, and being free was even better. Many thanks to Cadillac and Autoweek.