: Started to remove my window tint today

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 11:57 AM
It started as an effort to replace the high mount stoplight. My car has some crazy heat damage to the package shelf, brake light, brake light cover and rear 1/4 extensions. All are/were warped and melted from extreme heat. I replaced the 1/4 extensions and dug into the brake light thing today.

As always, things snowballed and I decided to take out the back seat and package shelf so I can remove the rear window tint. It, too, seemed to be heat damaged. It was warped/cloudy so I can't see through it. It's a total PITA to remove, too. But it will be nice to see out the back window again. I'm having all the windows re-tinted at some point and I can save a lot of $$ if I remove the old stuff myself.

Here's pics:

Brake light cover melted:
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_brake_light_cover.jpg

Rear package shelf covering melted on the edges:
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_package_shelf.jpg

Warped 3rd brake light:
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_3rd_brake_light.jpg

Have almost half the tint removed. The guy that is replacing the vinyl top says that there's something funny going on under the top above the rear window. I wonder if that's heat damage too?
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_rear_tint-1.jpg

I had to take a break because the ammonia was making me woozy.

jayoldschool
08-31-11, 01:19 PM
You can try a steamer instead of the ammonia...

I wonder if that car had a fire, or was in a building that had a fire? I can't see sun melting stuff like that.

Stingroo
08-31-11, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that's a little extreme, even for sun damage. Seems odd.

Steamer or a heat gun is the way to go. I pulled all the tint off a friend's Bronco with a little cheap $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight.

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 02:03 PM
I have a heat gun. I didn't think to use it....I'll use it for the bottom half.

What's weird is that there is no evidence of heat damage to any of the metal. I know the decklid has been replaced, but the 1/4s and rear panel look original.

Stingroo
08-31-11, 03:17 PM
Yeah, what we did was cut diagonal through the tint in various places, then used the heat gun on its low setting and it peeled off (slowly, but it wasn't toxic at least?)

Cadillacboy
08-31-11, 03:59 PM
I haven't come across melted brake lights as your cool limo had . Looking forward to seeing your progress
:highfive:

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that's a little extreme, even for sun damage. Seems odd.

Steamer or a heat gun is the way to go. I pulled all the tint off a friend's Bronco with a little cheap $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight.

As I was using the heat gun, I wondered if the heat damage in the car was from previous tint-removal with a heat gun? It's odd that all the damage is up against the glass.

Anyway, I found that what's most effective is ammonia sprayed on the inside then a heat gun on the outside. Worked awesome.

It's a real bitch getting around the defroster grid. I'd be shocked, but pleasantly surprised if it still works. When I had my Typhoon done the boob left a bunch of bubbles in it. I had him re-do it. My punishment was a non-functioning rear defrost when he was done with the re-do. It's tough to get it off without damaging it.

Stingroo
08-31-11, 05:07 PM
That may be the case... maybe somebody did it at too high a setting? Interesting thought.

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 05:23 PM
Done! It came out nice. I'll see if the defroster works in the morning when there's dew on the windows.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_rear_window_clear.jpg

Found this extra speaker under the package shelf. Must be for an intercom? Doesn't work with either radio.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/1994_limo_rear_speaker.jpg

Also found a round cut diamond that must have fallen out of a setting at some point. It was under the seat. I scraped it along the concrete to see if it was glass, but it didn't scratch it. I think it might be real. It's too small to photograph decently.

MoistCabbage
08-31-11, 05:28 PM
I feel lucky if I find some quarters under a seat when I'm detailing a car, and here you are finding DIAMONDS!!! Thanks for ruining that for me.

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 05:49 PM
I feel lucky if I find some quarters under a seat when I'm detailing a car, and here you are finding DIAMONDS!!! Thanks for ruining that for me.

I always find interesting things under the back seats. Never found a diamond before, though. It's really small. Even if it were real, it's not really worth anything. Still a neat find. I thought it was broken glass at first.

Bro-Ham
08-31-11, 06:27 PM
Geez Jimmy, that's pretty crispy! :)

I just pulled tint off a 91 Olds 98 Regency Elite I recently acquired - side windows were no problem, back window is a trick - I watched some tutorials on youtube but ignored some of the advice. Windex worked like a charm! I yanked off the tint then carefully scraped the back window with the razor blade, about 5 lines on the defroster grid aren't working but I already bought the special paint to touch up the dead spots. Hope yours works out fine.

Nice looking car - what's the story on all the sun exposure that caused all that damage?

Good luck with your ongoing project! :)

Dave

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 06:46 PM
Geez Jimmy, that's pretty crispy! :)

I just pulled tint off a 91 Olds 98 Regency Elite I recently acquired - side windows were no problem, back window is a trick - I watched some tutorials on youtube but ignored some of the advice. Windex worked like a charm! I yanked off the tint then carefully scraped the back window with the razor blade, about 5 lines on the defroster grid aren't working but I already bought the special paint to touch up the dead spots. Hope yours works out fine.

Nice looking car - what's the story on all the sun exposure that caused all that damage?

Good luck with your ongoing project! :)

Dave

Thanks!

I've used that paint in the past. If I have problems, I'll get some more of it.

All I know is that the car sat somewhere for close to 10 years (based on registration history from CarFax). Must have been out in the sun, which would explain the need for the new top and the heat damage? I dunno. The paint on the hood is etched, but it is a shoddy re-paint. Same with the decklid. Otherwise, the paint is good so I don't know if it sat outside or not. Underneath is nice and clean, so it didn't sit in the grass or anything.

It needs work, but everything is repairable with enough time and money. I really like this car - it's a great foundation for a fun restification.

I need to get new steering parts ASAP, and tires. Once it's solid mechanically I'll move on to the electronics inside. I was watching Green Hornet and Seth whats-his-name was riding in the back of a Hummer stretch. They put the TV to the right of the partition, partially obscuring visibility but the driver could still see out the back. I think I'm going to do that with mine. I also found a perfect spot for a touch-screen receiver and there's plenty of room for amps to be mounted on the partition. Subs under the middle seat.

My biggest challenge will be switching the front and rear receivers. I want to be able to play the front signal in the back, and the back signal in the front via switches. I think I can do it with simple A/B boxes and amps for each of the 4 pairs of speakers.

Anyway, that's a little ways off. I have to get the top done, then the tint. A/V will probably come in the Spring.

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 09:33 PM
So my roommate has been an insurance appraiser for a long time. He took a look at the damage tonight and surmised that the car was near something that was on fire. Taint no sun damage. I hadn't noticed, but most of the damage was on the right side. The bumper trim is melted on the right, the package shelf and brake light cover melting is also concentrated on the right side. Also, the right side 1/4 extension was damaged the most. He said the lack of metal damage isn't unusual - the plastic would melt first. Even the glass would hold up for a while, which it apparently did.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it's anything I can't fix. I'm going to have the vinyl top guy look at re-covering the package shelf. He's going to do the b-pillars too and it looks like the same stuff.

cadillac kevin
08-31-11, 10:39 PM
Jim, do you know who makes boxes to switch sources between sets of speakers in a car (A/B switches)

turbojimmy
08-31-11, 11:00 PM
Jim, do you know who makes boxes to switch sources between sets of speakers in a car (A/B switches)

There's a couple different kinds. I was talking about switches that just take RCA (unamplified) signal and switch it. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DT902AV-2-Way-V-Switcher/dp/B0014KOAD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314845757&sr=8-1

There are others that switch amplified signal to multiple speakers like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y3UX/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002KRA9M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HBJHSENTM0ZQ9EZ6Q69

I want to just switch unamplified signal, which is easier. With two switch boxes I should be able to feed the amps all front or all rear signal.

cadillac kevin
08-31-11, 11:16 PM
I'm looking for something that can switch between amplified sources.
if I can't find anything, I'll just make my own. It'll just take alot of relays and wiring (thats what the j/y's for though)

turbojimmy
09-01-11, 07:58 AM
Only the top two lines on the defroster work. I kind of figured that would be the case. I can see where the break is at the end of the 2nd working line. I think I'll pick up some of that paint to see how much of it I can get working. It's not a big deal because you can't see much out that window anyway because it's so far back. I just like stuff to work properly.