: R&I Crankshaft Position Sensor '94 SLS Northstar

dspringer
10-24-04, 11:40 PM
Folks,

I need to get a couple of things done:
1. Replace most of the wiring from the main engine harness to the crankshaft sensors, since some bozo routed these such that they lay on the exhaust heat shield and melted. This produced lots of P-codes: P035, P083, P071.
2. Probably replace the B CKS sensor.

Problem is, there is almost no room to work in. Are there any tricks you know of? Like, if I pull the rad is everything easy to get at? Is this a job where I have to pull the motor? The manual on AllDataDIY.com is not help here.

Thanks for the help!
:D

dspringer
10-25-04, 12:03 PM
rswaim has a helpful hint in his thread http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23267 ("93 STS Northstar, Would like some help.") - remove the motor mounting bracket. I'm going to try this out and I will post back. Might not get to this until next weekend, though.

Pjs
10-25-04, 02:48 PM
I just had my engine out of the car and on a stand and it was hard to reach these connectors. I think in the car I would pull the engine mount bracket and possibly the exhaust manifold.

rswaim
10-29-04, 10:27 AM
dspringer, once you get the motor mount out of the way, there is a great deal of difference, you will be able to reach the wiring harness. I too, have to do something about my harness. I am going to have my son watching the multi-meter, while I move the harness. If I can, I am going to attempt to use a zip tie, to put the wires in a position that will restore the connectivity to the ICM. I also have the same problem with the left O2 sensor, as I moved it the connector while replacing the crank sensors. I also discovered that my sensors were OK, it was the wiring that was giving me the bad signal and not the sensors themselves. Try that before installing the new sensors, as returning them after installing them, is not going to happen. :thumbsup: