: Rear Alignment (camber)

WesH8398
08-30-11, 06:45 PM
Can anyone tell me how the rear camber is adjusted on our cars? Does the adjustment happen by effectively pulling the TOP of the wheel in/out, or bottom? I'm trying to see what I'm in for when I bring my V for an alignment in the coming weeks. I know it's got some extra negative camber from lowering her, but I'm also not wanting the top of the new wheels/tires to get pushed out any closer to the fender (19x10 with 275's).

Thanks guys.

darkman
08-30-11, 06:54 PM
See attached.

WesH8398
08-30-11, 07:10 PM
See attached.

Would I be correct in gathering from that that the rear camber is adjusted via the BOTTOM of the hub, which would be great news for me?

darkman
08-30-11, 07:26 PM
Would I be correct in gathering from that that the rear camber is adjusted via the BOTTOM of the hub, which would be great news for me?

I am not sure I understand your question - it is adjusted on the underside of the lower control arm. I am not sure what you mean by "hub."

WesH8398
08-30-11, 09:32 PM
Sorry, layman here LOL. Ok, all technical terms aside, all I'm trying to figure out is whether the end result of a camber adjustment to more positive camber will mean that the TOP of my wheel is pushed OUT, away from the midline of the car, or the BOTTOM of the wheel is pulled IN, towards the midline of the car. Both of those scenarios would result in more positive camber, in my simple little mind. lol What I need to know is which way our cars adjust. Does that make sense? :S

darkman
08-30-11, 10:06 PM
Sorry, layman here LOL. Ok, all technical terms aside, all I'm trying to figure out is whether the end result of a camber adjustment to more positive camber will mean that the TOP of my wheel is pushed OUT, away from the midline of the car, or the BOTTOM of the wheel is pulled IN, towards the midline of the car. Both of those scenarios would result in more positive camber, in my simple little mind. lol What I need to know is which way our cars adjust. Does that make sense? :S

Makes perfect sense. Based on my reading of the literature the bottom of the wheel is pulled in. I have not made this adjustment myself so I cannot speak from direct experience.

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 03:04 PM
You will not incur much camber change on these cars when lowering...

lollygagger8
08-31-11, 03:15 PM
Don't they just adjust the tie rod when doing the rear alignment?

WesH8398
08-31-11, 11:37 PM
You will not incur much camber change on these cars when lowering...
No? My wheels look pretty damn canted inwards now that all this is done. It's likely exaggerated with the bigger wheels and tires I suppose. I haven't had an alignment done since I bought the car just over a year ago, so I should get one anyway. Now that I've got the fenders staying off my tires, I just dont want the alignment messing things up again. Glad to see that it looks like removing some of the negative camber will be done by pulling in the bottom of the wheel rather than pushing out the top.

Don't they just adjust the tie rod when doing the rear alignment?
From what Darkman posted in post 2, it appears not. Looks like they adjust the toe rod for toe and the lower control arm for camber.

CadzillaTN
09-01-11, 12:16 AM
Yes, the bottom. I've watched the guy do it more than once..so many times (almost 10 in a yr period) if I had that $75,000 machine I could do it myself.

I saw a 1.3 degree swing in the back when I went from lowered back to stock.

I recall being unhappy that they could not get the rear left to anything more positive than (neg) 2.2 when I was at 26.5 in height (slammed on the gc) When I raised it back up, it was at -.9 before they touched it again. The best I could do on rr was -1.9.
I was not going for more negative, I wanted it at -1.0 when lowered and they couldn't get it there. I can't remember if the fronts saw any change as I was happy with the numbers there.

Point being, you absolutely can see more negative camber just from lowering. I'm sure shocks, bushings, sways, and other things factor into this as well..

I'll add that part of the problem was trying to trick the rear shocks..the height would not stay put on both sides. 1/4 to 1/2 inches can make a difference on the alignment rack.

lollygagger8
09-01-11, 08:35 AM
Too many integers in this thread

WesH8398
09-01-11, 08:37 AM
I wonder how one person would experience very little camber change versus another person seeing such drastic changes...? Jim, is your info from personal experience, or a theoretical conclusion?

Zilla, do you remember what was limiting the rear, aside from maybe the issue with the Nivomats? I wonder if it would be pulling the wheel closer to the trailing arm (or other components) which would limit how much it could move. Or maybe all that stuff moves with the adjustment..?

thebigjimsho
09-01-11, 10:13 AM
I had mine lowered about an inch and never noticed a big change in camber. Don't know what else to say...

CadzillaTN
09-01-11, 12:48 PM
I wonder how one person would experience very little camber change versus another person seeing such drastic changes...? Jim, is your info from personal experience, or a theoretical conclusion?

Zilla, do you remember what was limiting the rear, aside from maybe the issue with the Nivomats? I wonder if it would be pulling the wheel closer to the trailing arm (or other components) which would limit how much it could move. Or maybe all that stuff moves with the adjustment..?

All the adjustments are complimentary and change the readings, therefore you have to go in a specific order, for example they set the rear before even touching the front..and sometimes have to go back and forth to get it right. I'd have to get under there to look again but I think the rod was out of threads or the lca was adjusted as far as it would go and the oval hole needed to be made larger (or maybe that was the front, not sure)

You're going to have to just take it in and watch them and the tire movement. Plenty of people have had their cars lowered with fatty rims and tires. Maybe get the lifetime alignment somewhere like firestone so if it doesn't work out in the front end you aren't out the money, and you can go home and hammer some fenders and then take it back.

WesH8398
09-02-11, 05:14 AM
I had mine lowered about an inch and never noticed a big change in camber. Don't know what else to say...

Is this by eyeball or by measurement? Maybe that's our answer...

All the adjustments are complimentary and change the readings, therefore you have to go in a specific order, for example they set the rear before even touching the front..and sometimes have to go back and forth to get it right. I'd have to get under there to look again but I think the rod was out of threads or the lca was adjusted as far as it would go and the oval hole needed to be made larger (or maybe that was the front, not sure)

You're going to have to just take it in and watch them and the tire movement. Plenty of people have had their cars lowered with fatty rims and tires. Maybe get the lifetime alignment somewhere like firestone so if it doesn't work out in the front end you aren't out the money, and you can go home and hammer some fenders and then take it back.

Thanks for the info!

fly187
09-21-12, 10:47 AM
See attached. The attachment is no longer there. Looking for info on where to make the rear camber adjustment at on 06 sts. I work at a alignment shop for 18 wheelers and trying to align myself. Just cant find info on it.

darkman
09-21-12, 04:45 PM
The attachment is no longer there. Looking for info on where to make the rear camber adjustment at on 06 sts. I work at a alignment shop for 18 wheelers and trying to align myself. Just cant find info on it.

Attached is info for a CTS-V. I do not know to what extent it applies (if at all) to a STS.