: Myth Busters...

Night Wolf
10-24-04, 10:16 PM
...I was flipping thru the channels and cought Discovery...

...they had an engine... and there were testing out various myths...

..first they put sugar in the gas.... the night before... the engine ran fine, then they put an egg in the radiator, still ran, then they put a penny in the carburator... it bounced aorund like crazy, but still ran fine... they were racing it up and everything...

Lastly, they put bleech in the oil... about 2/3 gallon or so... they raced it up, and them out of the PCV hose, it was steaming, and the valve cover gaskets were going, and it was steaming form all different places.. they said the bleech takes away the lubrication qualitys of the oil... the enigne was still running, but it got so hot it cought the wooden stand on fire... and they shut it down... they were able to fry an egg on the muffler...

they finished off by saying that Detroit dosn't make these small blocks like they used to... as the engine ran until the bloody end...

... but I don't think it was a small block...

..it honestly looked like a big block Cadillac... the valve covers, the oil fill cap was the exact same one as my 425, the carb was the same, the HEI distruburot was the same, and in the front of the enigne, not the back... I really think it was a big block Cadillac....

... and if it was... why do something like to to a big block Cad? ugh.. it killed me, the engine ran nice too...

CadiJeff
10-25-04, 01:50 AM
nope it was a chey, the give away was the orange paint, cadi's was light blue

cadillacdeville
10-25-04, 02:13 AM
Oh you should have seen the whole thing some fool desided to donate a 1970's cadillac to them so they could see if shooting the gas tank would cause the car to explode after that failed they put fifty rounds through the drivers side door to see if hiding behind the door in a shootout would protect you but the rounds went right through. was a very nice black caddy ran good an interior was mint shuch a shame they also put moth balls in the gas to see if it was an octane booster because they contain napthatlein and it worked but i'm reluctant to put napthalein rich gas in my car might burn the valves I don't know maby try it on my brothers ford first 76 LTD oh also they tried puting potatoes up the caddys tail pipe to see if it would stall the engine but that big ol thing just blew them right out why couldn't they get some cheap honda not a classic caddy :crying2:

davesdeville
10-25-04, 03:22 AM
nope it was a chey, the give away was the orange paint, cadi's was light blue

SBCs have rear mounted distributors (as do the small mopars for that matter), you can change paint but not distributors. SBFs do have front mounted distrubutors, that might be it.

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 11:30 AM
Oh you should have seen the whole thing some fool desided to donate a 1970's cadillac to them so they could see if shooting the gas tank would cause the car to explode after that failed they put fifty rounds through the drivers side door to see if hiding behind the door in a shootout would protect you but the rounds went right through. was a very nice black caddy ran good an interior was mint shuch a shame they also put moth balls in the gas to see if it was an octane booster because they contain napthatlein and it worked but i'm reluctant to put napthalein rich gas in my car might burn the valves I don't know maby try it on my brothers ford first 76 LTD oh also they tried puting potatoes up the caddys tail pipe to see if it would stall the engine but that big ol thing just blew them right out why couldn't they get some cheap honda not a classic caddy :crying2:

I heard about that where they wanted to see if plugging the exahust pipe would blow the enigne.... yeah, do it on a 472, highly doubtful that'll blow it...

I can't believe they shot up the car....

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-04, 11:37 AM
I like how the egg the put in the raditator acutlly plugged up the rad leak , always wondered if it would work