: My 4 brl carb quit

Angelo Gargarello
08-29-11, 09:27 PM
Hi all just wondering what to check for when a 4 brl carb doesn't open all 4 only the top smaller 2 are opening any advice other than get a new one..

MoistCabbage
08-29-11, 09:47 PM
I assume your car has vacuum secondaries. Vacuum secondaries will only open under load.

cadillac kevin
08-29-11, 09:56 PM
the secondaries will only open when under WOT above 30 mph (or so).
if they are not opening under those conditions, you have a vacuum issue.

Fleetwood70
08-29-11, 10:50 PM
Check the choke mechanism, if it doesn't open the choke fully when engine is warmed up, the secondaries won't open either.

cadillac kevin
08-29-11, 10:51 PM
btw angelo- pick yourself up a FSM for an '86 fleetwood brougham. they're immensly helpful and worth the $15 or so you'll pay for one. just make sure its the final edition (black cover). it has a large section on the carb.
according to the FSM, you need to check and replace split, cracked, or worn vacuum hoses. (replace 1 hose at a time)

sven914
08-29-11, 11:15 PM
I would replace all of the vacuum lines. If one has gone bad, from age, then the others aren't too far behind, and you could have multiple leaks. The most important thing is rerouting the hoses to their factory original locations.

Here's a diagram:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000075_large.jpg

cadillac_al
08-30-11, 06:43 AM
Most likely the choke is just out of adjustment. If the choke doesn't open all the way the secondaries won't open. If you know any drag racers they could adjust it in 3 minutes flat.

ChiTDI
08-31-11, 09:14 AM
btw angelo- pick yourself up a FSM for an '86 fleetwood brougham. they're immensly helpful and worth the $15 or so you'll pay for one. just make sure its the final edition (black cover). it has a large section on the carb.
according to the FSM, you need to check and replace split, cracked, or worn vacuum hoses. (replace 1 hose at a time)
Your lucky day. I have a Haynes and an FSM for an '86 that has left our family for the recycler.
Books are free you pay postage. PM me.

Angelo Gargarello
09-01-11, 12:51 PM
thanks all that commented I changed them all reconnected and the past owner had one of them cut and shoved a screw in it but on the bright side I got on the free way and I felt her open all 4 the sound and feeling was amazing thank to all of you :)