: Cooling (Radiator) fan motor

LAC_STS
08-29-11, 08:41 PM
I noticed a weird sound coming from the engine area and when I popped the hood I saw that the cooling fan that is attached to the radiator (the top pass side one, there's 2) was wobbling pretty bad. It was still spinning but alot slower than the other fan, and wobbling very bad.

What is the cause of this most likely? The fan motor is bad or did the plastic fan part just break off or something? Has anyone ever replaced on of these or taken the fan assy off before?

Much thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

orange57
08-29-11, 11:24 PM
I haven't replaced one on an STS, but if the plastic blade is in good condition, you may be able to just replace the motor and save some cash. I know on my oldsmobile, the fan is held to the radiator by three screws, one single wiring harness unclipps and it comes out. It's a couple of screws holding the motor to the attach bracket and a single nut holding the blade to the motor. Generally pretty easy to do. Now I don't know if it will be the same on the Cadi.

dkozloski
08-29-11, 11:55 PM
What year is your STS?

LAC_STS
08-30-11, 11:16 AM
Its a 2005. V6.

I took the whole fan assy out and found out that its the fan motor.

The motor still works but the motor has came apart from the motor housing.

It wobbles around in the housing thus causing the fan blades to wobble.

So now Im trying to find one cheaper than 220.

dkozloski
08-30-11, 12:24 PM
According to Judge Milian, the cheap comes out expensive.

orange57
08-30-11, 12:31 PM
rockauto dot com has motors for 160-170.

caddyfat2
08-31-11, 06:10 PM
If you are looking for an OEM motor try : www.shramauto.com. They have used ones for around $125. I will say they have quality used parts.

dkozloski
08-31-11, 07:08 PM
The cooling fan on my '06 STS is driven by a serpentine belt.

Dj Brady
08-31-11, 07:36 PM
The cooling fan on my '06 STS is driven by a serpentine belt.

There is a mechanical engine cooling fan and there are 2 electric condenser fans that are supposed to kick on when your AC turns on (or if the mechanical fan isn't cooling enough).

My Condenser fans have failed as well (My car came from Michigan and I figure at some point they've been iced over and burnt the motors up) and I'm eyeballing a complete assembly for around $140 on ebay. I don't know if they're denso motors.. probably not at that price, but it's really not THAT tough to swap out the assemblies if you have a lift and the right tools.

The only issue I suffer from the failed fans is the AC will stop working due to the refrigerant overheating when I stop in traffic. I just make sure I don't use climate control in rush hour traffic.

orange57
09-01-11, 02:56 AM
I have no fan driven by a serpentine belt on my 2005 N*. I have two electric motors. And my temperature always stays just below the mid point. Am I missing a fan then? Or is the belt driven fan only on AWD models. Mine is only RWD.

dkozloski
09-02-11, 01:37 AM
The belt drive fan goes with the performance cooling system.