: Adding ransense wipers to 2011's?

M5eater
08-29-11, 06:48 PM
So, This has been one of my pet- peeves since I bought the car, it's such a nice feature that's been around for more than a decade and is just absolutely crazy that it's not on the car.

I would assume that since the 09s/10s have it standard, and it's planned for the 2012 MY, that the wiring harness has the built-in support and essentially should be plug and play with the correct sensor/ rear view mirror.

has anyone looked into this and confirmed or denied this assumption?

thanks.

tabio42
08-30-11, 02:13 AM
I have a 10 and I don't have it...

M5eater
08-30-11, 07:28 AM
I had thought 10's didn't have it but I forgot to double-check. Still though, if it's avaliable for the first year, and will be again 2012, and we're assuming it was simply a sensor supplier issue. The theory should stand. I would assume from the silence no one has attempted this. The next step would be to find a willing 09 owner and see if they want to snap a picture of the harness for the sensor and see if my 11 or 10s have the same harness.

Supervisor
08-30-11, 10:15 AM
tagged with interest!

M5eater
08-30-11, 11:37 AM
Planning on running down to my new dealer to eyeball a CTS with the rain sense, my concern after thinking about it is that the wiper stalks are also different, so this may just be very expensive..

Tedboss1
08-30-11, 11:49 AM
I have 2009 with the rain sensor wipers.
I'm ready to take the picture of the harness.
Where is it?

tedcmiller
08-30-11, 12:23 PM
According to one of the earlier posts, the Rainsense feature is back for 2012. I have it on my 2009 CTS-V and really would be dissapointed if it were not available. Can it be added to 2010-2011 CTS-Vs? Anything is possible, but it is probably a lot of work.

Cub Cadet
08-30-11, 12:39 PM
I was glad that my 2010 did not have this feature... and was not available on 2010 cars. I never use my wipers as it is... and yes, I drive it daily in rain/sleet/snow. I am actually wanting to remove both wiper arms so that you do not see them. Rain X handles everything for me and I do not get the wiper marks worn into the glass.

jzchen
08-30-11, 01:10 PM
I was bummed to find that it was not on our 2010.... Subscribed!

M5eater
08-30-11, 01:18 PM
I have 2009 with the rain sensor wipers.
I'm ready to take the picture of the harness.
Where is it?

The best would be pics of the wiper stalk on the steering column, of the acutal unit/sensor below the review mirror, and unfortunatly I couldn't tell you how or where to look just yet, but my suggestion would be to cautiously poke around for the harness, it should be around the sensor area under some kind of removable cover I would assume. I'm hoping my dealer might be better help with some wire and/or parts diagram comparisons.

Houdini
08-30-11, 02:48 PM
Not sure if this helps you at all but....

litig8r187
08-30-11, 05:31 PM
Yea, I'm curious too. Two things that bug me the most about the 2010 are no back-up camera and no rain sense.

M5eater
08-30-11, 05:37 PM
Not sure if this helps you at all but....

Now I'm confused, the repair indicates it's wireless, the diagram clearly shows a plug.

JimmyH
08-30-11, 07:43 PM
I hated the rainsense on my CTS4. A few drops of water on the windshield and they won't turn off. Down pour rain and they go into intermittent mode :cookoo:
rainx ftw

muohio
08-30-11, 09:24 PM
My '11 is 99% perfect except for the omission of the Rainsense wipers. I loved them on my '08 and was extremely dissapointed that I couldn't even get it as an option.

hamta
08-31-11, 11:36 AM
I would love to add them to my 2011 V Coupe if at all possible at a reasonable price. I had them on my 2008 and really miss them on this car.

BreakThrough
08-31-11, 04:41 PM
I hated the rainsense on my CTS4. A few drops of water on the windshield and they won't turn off. Down pour rain and they go into intermittent mode :cookoo:
rainx ftw

My experience as well with my 08 cts4. They were awful. I am greatful i dont have to put up with them on my 11 coupe. However, cadillac should make them optional for those that would like.

JimmyH
08-31-11, 07:02 PM
Can't it be disabled in the features menu? I want to say I did that, but I don't remember now.

John De Leo
08-31-11, 07:50 PM
I have the 2011 CTS-V sedan purchased December 2010. All the reviews said it had rain sense wipers but mine does not. Given the amount of rain in San Diego, CA I guess it is not a big deal. I like the Rain-X idea and just not use the wipers. The Lexus 460LS has it as well as adaptive cruise control. Now that would be a great feature for me.

M5eater
08-31-11, 08:01 PM
My experience as well with my 08 cts4. They were awful. I am greatful i dont have to put up with them on my 11 coupe. However, cadillac should make them optional for those that would like.
considering some japanese compacts have them, you would think so.

nynd
08-31-11, 08:04 PM
You would need to get the sensor (probably like $300) and a new windshield at a minimum as it has a special cut out area for it. Then, you'd need to check if wiring is there, probably not as was a cost save to remove it so you'll need to add it and then figure out if the BCM is configured for it - whether it has the input to see the reading from the sensor and then activate them.

M5eater
08-31-11, 08:57 PM
You would need to get the sensor (probably like $300) and a new windshield at a minimum as it has a special cut out area for it. Then, you'd need to check if wiring is there, probably not as was a cost save to remove it so you'll need to add it and then figure out if the BCM is configured for it - whether it has the input to see the reading from the sensor and then activate them.

I'm pretty sure the windshields are the same. There are only 2 windshield part numbers that I know of, one for the CTS-V and one for the regular CTS. As for the harness, that's up in the air. Either it's going to be there or it's not. Not too worried about the BCM either to be honest, there's a ton of stuff a tech-II can unlock by itself, it would make sense to just have one part number BCM for a standard feature, and less sense to make a whole new one for a 2 year hiatus because of supply cuts.

muohio
08-31-11, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the windshields are the same. There are only 2 windshield part numbers that I know of, one for the CTS-V and one for the regular CTS. As for the harness, that's up in the air. Either it's going to be there or it's not. Not too worried about the BCM either to be honest, there's a ton of stuff a tech-II can unlock by itself, it would make sense to just have one part number BCM for a standard feature, and less sense to make a whole new one for a 2 year hiatus because of supply cuts.

That's my thought too. The windshields are no different and the biggest difference is the stalk and sensor module.

M5eater
09-24-11, 09:41 AM
So the SRX I have today has Rainsense, the stalk is identical. The only difference I can see is the way the mist function works versus regular wipers. IE, slower/faster is instead used as the sensitivity function for the wipers. It's been raining all week, and now that I know what I'm missing, I'm going to look @ the SRX's sensor box more closely so I know what to look for. Rain permitting.

M5eater
09-24-11, 12:43 PM
So it appears Nynd's assessment of the glass is correct- although the shape of the ceramic dot matrix is the same, the rainsense cut-out is easily visible and the matrix is actually filled in completely where it's dotted in the non-rainsense cars. I think it would stop to make financial sense at this point, but I'll check the Box to see what plug is there next for giggles I suppose.

JimmyH
09-24-11, 12:46 PM
So the SRX I have today has Rainsense, the stalk is identical. The only difference I can see is the way the mist function works versus regular wipers. IE, slower/faster is instead used as the sensitivity function for the wipers. It's been raining all week, and now that I know what I'm missing, I'm going to look @ the SRX's sensor box more closely so I know what to look for. Rain permitting.

Just get a garden hose and make your own rain :D

tedcmiller
09-24-11, 04:09 PM
The Rainsense wipers on my 2009 CTS-V work perfectly. When Rainsense is activated, the windshield wiper stalk has a sensitivity (how much water on the windshield is required to cause a wiper pass) setting that functions as a frequency control (how often the wipers are activated) when Rainsense is not active. The stalk also turns the wipers on and off. They also work perfectly on my wife's 2008 DTS. If Rainsense is active (controlled by user programming), the driver display says so. Unlike those who apparently don't know how to set and use them, I love the Rainsense feature and don't want a car without them.

cruiser68
09-24-11, 08:53 PM
The Rainsense wipers on my 2009 CTS-V work perfectly. When Rainsense is activated, the windshield wiper stalk has a sensitivity (how much water on the windshield is required to cause a wiper pass) setting that functions as a frequency control (how often the wipers are activated) when Rainsense is not active. The stalk also turns the wipers on and off. They also work perfectly on my wife's 2008 DTS. If Rainsense is active (controlled by user programming), the driver display says so. Unlike those who apparently don't know how to set and use them, I love the Rainsense feature and don't want a car without them.

Agreed! I loved them in my 08 Yukon Denali. Minor deal they are not on the V though. Too many way good things about this car to complain about rainsense wipers. Took me about.......say......40 seconds to get over it :)

M5eater
09-25-11, 08:39 AM
Agreed! I loved them in my 08 Yukon Denali. Minor deal they are not on the V though. Too many way good things about this car to complain about rainsense wipers. Took me about.......say......40 seconds to get over it :)

same here. Just looking for stupid stuff to do before my warranty is up that wont... void my warranty.