: Should I have my brand new, never fired 4.0 long-block studded?

auroradude
08-29-11, 06:37 PM
I recently purchased one of the last remaining 4.0 "Shelby" Aurora V8's which is brand-new in the crate, sitting since '99. It is filled to the brim with synthetic oil to prevent rusting. I was wondering since the engine has been sitting for 12 years now, do you think it will be fine if I just pressurize the oil system and fire it up? It comes with all accessories and ignition-related items. Everything down to the A/C compressor is on the engine, all I have to do is put the manifolds on it from my old motor. The seller I bought it from in Las Vegas claims it has different camshafts in it, but I am not sure I believe that. Basically, if it's been sitting all these years in a dry vegas warehouse, shrinkwrapped, it should be fine right? A few guys have told me the head gasket or other gaskets may start leaking once it is running....? I really don't want to ship the engine all the way up to Canada to have it studded though.

89falcon
08-29-11, 10:52 PM
I'd also pull the plugs and turn the crank a couple times with a breaker bar....I'd hate to find out a cylinder got filled with oil and you end up bending a rod.....

Shrink-wrapped in one of the driest climates in NA? I think the head gaskets will be OK.

Ranger
08-29-11, 11:06 PM
I would think you'll be just fine.

Speedygman
08-30-11, 09:01 AM
If you are comfortable enough to change engines around why not do the studs your self, it is not any different than the mechanical work that you are already doing. I would stud the engine if I were going to be keeping this car for a long time.

tateos
08-30-11, 01:38 PM
I understand Speedyman's logic, but I'm with 89falcon and Ranger on this one. First of all, the engine, as-is, might outlast the car. Also, let's assume that the factory did everything perfectly when they assembled the engine - they have the experience and jigs and specialized tools to do that. Unless you have past experience with these engines (and even if you do), there is a chance that you will make a mistake or omission during re-assembly; why take a chance on that? I say bolt on your manifolds and drop it in!

auroradude
08-31-11, 12:33 AM
Thanks people. Well I do plan on having the car last at least another 10 years as I spent almost $4000 on a nice paint job for it. I'm going to replace whatever sensors that aren't on the motor, and also going to replace the original fuel pump since I have a feeling it may be dieing. The current engine feels pretty slow as if it was low on compression.

Is there a way to prime the oil pump? I couldn't find it in the service manuals. Oh also, I am not doing any of the work myself hehe. I wish I knew how, but i'm having my buddy that owns a shop do all the work

Ranger
08-31-11, 12:42 AM
Is there a way to prime the oil pump?
Put 16 qts of oil in it. That will submerge the pump and prime it. Start it and run it to about 3K a few times then shut down and drain 8.5 qts.

tateos
09-01-11, 03:07 PM
Ranger's response is correct, if the pump doesn't prime on its own, but it's usually not necessary. The recommendation in my chassis manual is to disconnect the ignition module (at the coil pack), and engage the starter until the low oil pressure warning light goes out - usually takes less than 30 seconds. The top end of the engine will be noisy at first - don't be concerned - it usually takes several minutes to pump up the lifters and take out all the valve lash.

AJxtcman
09-02-11, 08:43 PM
I would never do that to a new block ever.
Do you know that all of the Shelby Engines were sold for $250 at the auction?

auroradude
09-03-11, 11:58 AM
Thanks, we will just plug it in and I'll get the computer tuned then. And yep I do know that, although you did have to buy them in blocks of 10, what a steal..people were paying as high as $5000 for these on ebay back in 2004 and 2005. I only paid $1500 for mine plus shipping. For a brand new engine i consider that a pretty good price at least compared to my other cars. I have a $16,000 supercharged 383 stroker motor in my Camaro.:yup:

ThumperPup
09-03-11, 08:33 PM
I would never do that to a new block ever.
Do you know that all of the Shelby Engines were sold for $250 at the auction?

you would never do what to a new block ?
stud it ?
why not

My block was Brand new From Jake it is a 02 model block
and i had it studed so why would you not stud it ?

pcmcalibrators
09-03-11, 10:12 PM
you would never do what to a new block ?
stud it ?
why not

My block was Brand new From Jake it is a 02 model block
and i had it studed so why would you not stud it ?

Why would you waste the money to pull apart a good engine?

So you have a brand new $1500 engine. This engine has never been fired up. Now you want to pull it down and install studs for a minimum of $500 plus the labor. You want to install a part for a part that has not failed. Most of these engine will go 100K with no issues. Now the lower crank halves are another story. I would spend the $50 to fix the the issue so it doesn't leak. GM has a fix for that and they will all leak at a very low milage.

If you want to email me I will explain why studs are not a good idea in this case. caleditor@pcmcalibrators.com
I have explained all of this before

ThumperPup
09-04-11, 01:26 AM
Why would you waste the money to pull apart a good engine?

So you have a brand new $1500 engine. This engine has never been fired up. Now you want to pull it down and install studs for a minimum of $500 plus the labor. You want to install a part for a part that has not failed. Most of these engine will go 100K with no issues. Now the lower crank halves are another story. I would spend the $50 to fix the the issue so it doesn't leak. GM has a fix for that and they will all leak at a very low milage.

If you want to email me I will explain why studs are not a good idea in this case. caleditor@pcmcalibrators.com
I have explained all of this before

First off All i asked is why you would never do that to a new block
to me it doesn't matter if its a new enign ethat never been run and been srink warped for 10 plus years or if its just new parts and a engine being built up i would stud it whyll its out
because well yeah could go 100k no problem
for me that 100k is 3 years tops
for you maybe 10 years for me 3 years

but this has nothing to do with what i asked
what i was asking was why would AJ never do that to a knew block
I had it done to my block because my block was brand new never had any bolts put it in it my engine was rebuilt every gasket every o ring ever sail everything right inch of the engine the only parts that are not new are the Cam's the pistons and the heads
from when i was talking to my Mechanic the other day he even informed me that he put a new water pump in that i had no idea he did

so there again i post the question to AJ
why would he not do that to a knew block

Submariner409
09-04-11, 10:50 AM
T P, Put AJ's reply in context: This thread concerns disassembling a new, complete crate engine to fix something which may never fail. AJ's reply basically reinforced previous advice: Don't take apart a factory built high performance engine to fix something that is not broken.

You were in an entirely different situation - your engine was toast and you needed a new block from scratch. In your case, studding the new block prior to assembling the engine was probably a good decision.

O P = New complete Shelby engine

T P = overhauling trashed engine from a bare block

............apples and oranges

ThumperPup
09-04-11, 01:21 PM
sub I get what your saying

but what i was Responding to was when AJ said why would you do that to a New Block
well did not sound like he was saying new engine he said new block so i explained why i would