: Transmission issues (Implodes)

Charlie Costello
08-29-11, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here, but not to the V's. I own a 2005 Red V with 98,900 miles and a 2005 Silver V with 51,000 miles.

My Red one is my summer highway car. It has never been beat on or abused. I experienced a catastrophic failure two weeks ago. At 65 mph in 6th gear, the trans made a loud metallic squealing and then locked up. I have further found out that this is a common occurance on these cars approaching 100,000 miles. The reverse gear bearing welds itself to the gear shaft, then scatters and locks things up. I am getting a level V reman from RPM this week. They say they have done literally hundreds of V transmissions with virtually the same issue. Has anybody on this forum suffered this failure?

I bought the Silver one from my 67 year young brother in Southern California last November. It had 47,000 miles on it for 14,000 dollars. I thought it was a great price. At 20,000 miles his transmission made terrible noises. Cadillac replaced it right away. Within one week, the replacement began making noise after 200 miles. They replaced it again, and he had no issues after that.
I notice a mild drivetrain vibration at 40-50 mph when cold (first 8 miles). The vibration lessons substantially when warm.

Any information would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

rand49er
08-29-11, 03:27 PM
I think I recall one other occurrence.

Must be all those "hundreds" of others aren't on this forum.

mstrjon32
08-29-11, 03:27 PM
My guess is your drive train vibrations are actually your tires...but I've been wrong before. I had similar issues and it ended up being an issue with the tires. Something about these cars...they're very sensitive to tire flat-spotting.

As for the transmission, I've heard that you can do them in by puttering around in 6th at 1,000 RPM...I try and keep mine at 3,000 RPM in 6th, so hopefully I'll be alright. :)

Charlie Costello
08-29-11, 03:33 PM
I don't putter, but don't run over 4000 RPM either. It is a highway car running at 65 to 70 mph most of the days. It stays around 2000 RPM's. It is driven from 120 miles per day to 650 miles per day depending on where work takes me. Thanks for your responses and keep them coming.

rjoffe
08-29-11, 05:19 PM
I second the tire theory, what brand/size are you running ?

Charlie Costello
08-29-11, 05:23 PM
I just put new NEXEN 7000's on both cars the same day. Nothing from the red one, only the silver one. Stock size on both cars.

PISNUOFF
08-29-11, 05:34 PM
I had my reverse bearing weld onto the shaft also. It happened at around 20,000 miles but it never scattered, though. GM rebuilt the trans and it has been fine ever since.

I also have more vibration when my tires are cold then it goes away after they warm up. I have put several sets of the same brand of tires on and it was present on some and not on others.

Charlie Costello
08-29-11, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the great information. I am beside myself because I might have to drive to Jacksonville Florida this week and am not comfortable. I do not need another one seizing up. I love the cars. My brother bought the CTS-V wagon after he sold me his, but he got the 6 speed automatic. Good choice I think. He loves it. The dealer said it was the first automatic sold to a private individual (others are engineers cars from GM). Nothing to prove that though.

AAIIIC
08-29-11, 08:26 PM
The transmission in the V has been used in a number of different applications over the years, and I can't say I've ever heard of this being a common problem. I think it's rather unlikely that the shop has really done hundreds of V transmissions and yet there have been few (if any) reports here. There just aren't that many 1st gen Vs on the roads, so if hundreds of them were blowing transmissions, I would have to think there would be word of it here or over in the V forum on LS1tech.

I can understand why you would concerned, having been through 3 transmissions between the 2 cars, but I think you just had a run of bad luck.

liqidvenom
08-29-11, 11:21 PM
The transmission in the V has been used in a number of different applications over the years, and I can't say I've ever heard of this being a common problem. I think it's rather unlikely that the shop has really done hundreds of V transmissions and yet there have been few (if any) reports here. There just aren't that many 1st gen Vs on the roads, so if hundreds of them were blowing transmissions, I would have to think there would be word of it here or over in the V forum on LS1tech.

I can understand why you would concerned, having been through 3 transmissions between the 2 cars, but I think you just had a run of bad luck.

You have to realize there are alot of V's all over the world that arent on this forum. I've run into a bunch now that ive been here in Michigan that have never been on an internet forum site. one recently had a motor go on him that a vendor on ls1tech built for him.... i told him about the forum but he said he doesnt have time for it.

point is that im sure shops would pass v issues to rpm while those people might not be forum type people or even be looking to share that their vehicles have failed them.

CadzillaTN
08-29-11, 11:50 PM
Rpm might be taking about the t56 in general, not the V specific m12 t56?

Hopefully when mine locks up I'll be on a mountain road so I can shove it off a cliff. Emergency brake fully engaged of course (for insurance purposes).

Charlie Costello
08-30-11, 05:20 PM
RPM states that due to the V t56 design, there is no tailshaft housing like the others used. The issue involves the tailshaft helping to wick oil to the reverse bearing better. The "no tailshaft" design is where the problem arises. The corvette has the same design from what I understand, and they have reported the same issues. Thanks again for the great replies and information. It is appreciated.

ronr
08-31-11, 12:19 PM
I had the exact same problem (reverse gear welding to shaft) and took (towed) my car to RPM. I visited their shop and they showed me the failure ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/219427-transmission-stuck-reverse.html ). They've certainly done several V specific T56's and based on what I saw in the shop I can believe 100's of T56's in general. Great folks and I'm very happy with their Level V transmission in my car.

Charlie Costello
08-31-11, 03:03 PM
Thanks ronr for the reply. The failure issue makes sense since I have had t56's in a 95 Roadmaster, 95 Impala SS, and factory in my 96 Ram Air T/A. No issue in 100K miles on the Roadmaster with a 60Kmilage trans to start with. The SS is a brand new install with one mile on it, so the track record is not established.
Jeremy has treated me well so far, and I hope to have the trans next week early. The price is now 2595.00 plus shipping. Still less than GM 3800 for a new one.
I am also contimplating writing a letter to the NHTSB concerning the issue. My issue that I think is worthy is that mine locked up, and I almost got rear ended at 65 mph. This now becomes a safety issue. I am trying to gather names of people who have suffered this failure, for more guns in the letter. Anybody interested?

heavymetals
08-31-11, 03:55 PM
You might check this out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/2733720-we-turn-your-t56-into-a-tr6060-the-ultimate-transmisson.html

Charlie Costello
09-01-11, 07:17 AM
Heavymetals, from what I understand, the TR6060 only applies to the 2008 and newer vettes. It would be nice, but since not available, we are stuck with what we have. RPM called yesterday with the completed trans shipping the same day. They said I should have in today. We are installing it at my shop on Friday. I will report the results this weekend.

lollygagger8
09-01-11, 11:15 AM
Good thing RPM is close to me. I know where I'll be going if I ever have a problem.

Knock knock knocking on some wood

GDPossehl
09-01-11, 11:19 AM
Just FYI, tick performance is offering standard t56 rebuilds for about $1g and I believe that includes shipping. You just have to able to afford the downtime. A cheap rental car could probably suffice if the V is your only car. Tip: find your nearest Hertz local edition - off airport location, walk in and tell them your car broke down and you need a cheap replacement rental. Negotiate from there. You can probably get a decent car for about $30 a day after tax.

lollygagger8
09-01-11, 11:20 AM
Just FYI, tick performance is offering standard t56 rebuilds for about $1g and I believe that includes shipping. You just have to able to afford the downtime. A cheap rental car could probably suffice if the V is your only car. Tip: find your nearest Hertz local edition - off airport location, walk in and tell them your car broke down and you need a cheap replacement rental. Negotiate from there. You can probably get a decent car for about $30 a day after tax.

And throw the trans in the back of the rental and drive the transmission over to Tick Performance. It'd be cheaper than shipping the trans back and forth! lol

heavymetals
09-01-11, 12:08 PM
Heavymetals, from what I understand, the TR6060 only applies to the 2008 and newer vettes. It would be nice, but since not available, we are stuck with what we have. RPM called yesterday with the completed trans shipping the same day. They said I should have in today. We are installing it at my shop on Friday. I will report the results this weekend.

If you take the time to read the ad it specifically mentions the CTS-V.

"The same goes for any 2004-2008 Cadillac CTSV...."

Charlie Costello
09-02-11, 02:54 PM
heavymetals,
Unless I am reading a different portion of their website, I just looked at it again, and it says 2009 and up for CTSV for the TR6060. Let me know if I am reading the wrong section.

Black Sunshine
09-02-11, 03:02 PM
You can add me to the list on the reverse gear. Mine locked up on the highway at 70 MPH and 103,000 miles (3000 out of warranty). GM offered to "let me" pay them to do an R&R at the Caddy dealer and "IF" it's was their bad they would reimburse me and fix it. I said, "Thanks but no thanks.".

RPM came over to OH and picked up the car, did a Stage V rebuild and the LS7 flywheel/clutch package.

They've seen every part in a tranny break and fixed em.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/The Don/CTSVRPMTransmissions11_17_103.jpg

Everything great until 184,000 miles when I had completely worn out 6th gear. RPM had me in at 9 am and ready to go at 2 pm, same day.

Old 5th/6th gear on left. There are no teeth left on the lower part (6th gear) of the combo gear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/The Don/IMG00030-20090211-0849.jpg

RPM's Tremec builder has evidence in his tool box (tranny tag off every rebuild, gallon zip lock bags full) of having rebuilt more Tremec's than anyone I've been able to find. Maybe even Tremec.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/The Don/IMG00031-20090211-0859.jpg

I have been VERY impressed with RPM. Their service is second to none and they are simply good ol' gearheads like us.

This was the icing on the cake.
After they fixed the 6th gear I asked them to check the rear (rebuilt under warranty at 42K miles) and service it. They pulled the plug and nothing would come out. It was amazing I even made the 600 miles to their shop with this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/The Don/CTSVRPMTransmissions11_17_10.jpg

They pulled a dust collecting, adandoned but brand new in the box, open CTS-V rear end with 3.42's outta their parts room. Pulled my rear end apart, installed the 3.42's, their custom springs and corvette clutches and reinstalled in my car AND rebuilt the new open rear with my original 3.73's and threw this new rearend in my trunk. Killer deal. Just the kinda guy that owns RPM.

Here's a pic of a lil project the RPM owner had in his office!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/The Don/CTSVRPMTransmissions11_17_102.jpg

heavymetals
09-02-11, 03:11 PM
heavymetals,
Unless I am reading a different portion of their website, I just looked at it again, and it says 2009 and up for CTSV for the TR6060. Let me know if I am reading the wrong section. I have been known to be a total fukc up as you gracefully pointed out.

Here is the link to his ad in the Corvette forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/2733720-we-turn-your-t56-into-a-tr6060-the-ultimate-transmisson.html

Read the whole ad...

Mike Yeager
09-02-11, 03:54 PM
Hi guys, I have just joined as a regular member, but I have had many phone calls telling me that someone over here claimed we do not do the 2004-2007 CTSV's T56 to TR6060 Change Overs...Well WE DO build them for 2004-2007 CTSV's...We can take your T56 and Turn it into a TR6060, please visit the link that has been posted in this thread a few times I think...anyway call me anytime if you have any questions at all...

thanks
Mike Yeager
1-864-404-1776

P.S WE DO NOT HAVE A WEBSITE, we are a major supporting vendor on CorvetteForum.com & LS1tech.com...

yooper
09-03-11, 12:25 AM
Hmmm TR6060 with an internal pump and 1pc drive shaft:hmm:

Mike Yeager
09-03-11, 02:34 PM
Hmmm TR6060 with an internal pump and 1pc drive shaft:hmm:

Hi yooper, why are you scratching your head..?? We build these T56 to TR6060 Change Overs every day, our Lowest unit will handle 800rwHP/TQ, we do for C5 & C6 Corvette Owners, 98-2002 F-body Owners, GTO Owners, Cadillac Owners, Ford GT40 Owners and Viper Owners... We also build a much stronger unit for guys that are going drag racing or road racing every single weekend with over 800rw ft/lbs of TQ..

Mike Yeager
09-03-11, 02:38 PM
Heavymetal, sorry for any confusion, but I was only on the RPM website. Our statements were both right given the info we had.

By the way, RPM new trans is very nice.

Hi Charlie, have you not seen or cant see the links that have been posted in this thread..?? thats what everyone else was speaking of...Which level did you get..??

lunarx
09-03-11, 04:45 PM
RPM did a M6 conversion w/ a Level V build for me.
It shifts great and the taller gears are a nicer match for my torque curve.
However, I'd be real interested in the TR6060 conversion w/ C6 Z06 ratios, if I needed trans work now.
Someone has got to do that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lunarx
09-03-11, 04:55 PM
Hi yooper, why are you scratching your head..?? We build these T56 to TR6060 Change Overs every day, our Lowest unit will handle 800rwHP/TQ, we do for C5 & C6 Corvette Owners, 98-2002 F-body Owners, GTO Owners, Cadillac Owners, Ford GT40 Owners and Viper Owners... We also build a much stronger unit for guys that are going drag racing or road racing every single weekend with over 800rw ft/lbs of TQ..

Wish this was available 3 years ago.

Mike, can you provide some info on your trans fluid (mentioned in the link)?
I have been looking for Syngear but cant find any.
What is yours?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Lord Cadillac
09-06-11, 04:02 PM
All the fluff, nonsense, back and forth, I'm right, you're wrong, well I'm right too because I didn't know, wah, wah, wah has been removed. All that remains are the facts.