: What gives?!?

lollygagger8
08-29-11, 09:50 AM
How come we can only Private Message once every 60 minutes!?!

:mad2: :annoyed::cookoo:

jmpumford
08-29-11, 10:46 AM
I feel your pain. Booo! :bomb:

JDB
08-29-11, 11:12 AM
And, where did the "what you drive" go? Why not just have sigs?? Would be nice to see mod lists and pic of cars...

rand49er
08-29-11, 12:34 PM
Yeah, this PM limitation stuff is definitely an inconvenience especially when you need to do two or three and only have a short window of opportunity.

This is like rationing healthcare. It's not going over real well.

shadybx7
08-29-11, 12:58 PM
And, where did the "what you drive" go? Why not just have sigs?? Would be nice to see mod lists and pic of cars...

gotta pay to play thinking... free memberships have lost alot of the ordinary perks to add to the value of supporting the site

whisler151
08-29-11, 01:41 PM
gotta pay to play thinking... free memberships have lost alot of the ordinary perks to add to the value of supporting the site

I pay and have the same issue.

JimmyH
08-29-11, 02:03 PM
it's not permanent

JDB
08-29-11, 02:27 PM

Seems like sigs would be standard, considering they adverise products for vendors. If I was a vendor, Id be annoyed.

lollygagger8
08-29-11, 03:20 PM
Seems like sigs would be standard, considering they adverise products for vendors. If I was a vendor, Id be annoyed.

Agree 1000%

Lord Cadillac
08-29-11, 03:34 PM

This is on to to-do list to return...

it's not permanent

The PM limit has been increased from one to two. There's been a lot of spamming going on lately and we don't plan on keeping these limitations for ever.

All supporting members and authorized vendors get signatures.

JDB
08-29-11, 05:08 PM
All supporting members and authorized vendors get signatures.

So, are Supporting Members and Vendors also the only ones to see signatures?

edit by admin: NO. See reply below.

If so, that makes no sense to vendors who are trying to sell products and all members to see what mods are being done to cars. If I saw the same mods over and over again in sigs, it makes me see it over and over again, and increase a vendors chances of selling more of that mod. Keeping up with the Jones kinda sales theory, or if everyone has the mod...why not me?, or seeing the same mods listed must mean theyre popular for a reason = more sales. Heck, we cant even see a phone number of website to contact them.

As members, it would help us see who has what mods and direct questions to them.... answers coming from someone about a mod who has it strengthens their response since they have actual experience with it (like advice on tuning a Maggie from someone who atually has one)... to also see what mods are being used in conjunction with others... the list goes on and on that all positive things come out of having sigs turned on for everyone. Im part of several other forums and not one does this.

Sure...become a supporting member... but that still doesn't make sense from a vendors sales approach.

Lord Cadillac
08-29-11, 05:13 PM
All members can see/view signatures. If you're not seeing them, check your user control panel and make sure they're turned on.

JDB
08-29-11, 05:34 PM
All members can see/view signatures. If you're not seeing them, check your user control panel and make sure they're turned on.

:hide:

Oops

I see them now. D'oh!

JimmyH
08-29-11, 06:51 PM
Bear in mind, alot of people turn off sigs/avatars to speed up loading. I haven't bothered with a signature for a while. I felt like I was advertising, well, me. No one wants to see that.

And I see "My Cadillacs" is back :thumbsup:

ThumperPup
08-29-11, 09:40 PM

im not sure the what you drive has to do with paying members i think sal mentioned there was a glitch and it needed to be taken down or disabled for now just like pm's where disabled
guess they have not got the what you drive up and working yet
]
yes sigs are for paying members so yeah got to play to pay at times

60 minute ruel well most of us know i think that's bogus but has to do with spammers i guess that seem to get past the Mod's that are so busy they don't have time to scan new members or something like that

i guess i think the 60 minute rule should be for all non supporting members i know i would pay and support again if that went into affect but it seems like at the moment we keep losing things that will want us to support i feel for now the 4 or 5 months that i was a supporting member helped out a little i hope to think but right now not worth it at the moment or maybe should not say not worth it but feel there should be some more perks to it

how ever at the same time i also feel that maybe going from a free forum to a mandatory 1 dollar a month or 12 dollars for the year thing might help first of all if you can't afford 1 dollar a month what the hell are you doing driving a car at all lol
and it would probably bring in more then the what the small portion of supporters there are
and also would keep the spammers out
i get no one wants to join right away and pay for something they don't know yet
ok so have a 30 day trial free membership but don't let them have access to PM's at all to keep the spammers out

lollygagger8
08-30-11, 12:11 PM
Not trying to be a d**k, but other forums let you have signatures for free.

I would think it would eliminate half the questions people ask if they could see what you had on your car. Besides helping vendors and other owners see what's hot that people have.

Lord Cadillac
08-30-11, 12:41 PM
how ever at the same time i also feel that maybe going from a free forum to a mandatory 1 dollar a month or 12 dollars for the year thing might help first of all if you can't afford 1 dollar a month what the hell are you doing driving a car at all lol
and it would probably bring in more then the what the small portion of supporters there are
and also would keep the spammers out
i get no one wants to join right away and pay for something they don't know yet
ok so have a 30 day trial free membership but don't let them have access to PM's at all to keep the spammers out

In case you hadn't noticed, PM limits (per hour) have been increased. As for the $1.00 per month membership, it's something we've considered for the future as this will keep spammers/false account signups to a bare minimum considering there's actual accountability for members. At that point, there would likely be no network ads at all. We'll have to see how that goes if and when we decide to put this measure in place.

Not trying to be a d**k, but other forums let you have signatures for free.

I would think it would eliminate half the questions people ask if they could see what you had on your car. Besides helping vendors and other owners see what's hot that people have.

Most other forums do have signatures for free. Most other automotive forums our size (we go through over a terabyte of bandwidth per month) have a tremendous amount of vendors and advertisers paying the bills. When we first setup our "supporting member" accounts, signatures were one of the perks. It still is...

JimmyH
08-30-11, 03:12 PM
I agree with Sal, signature for supporters only. Truth be told, if it was my forum, I would put limits on them, even for a supporters. I hate signatures that are 10 times the size of the average post. It clutters things up. I question how many people even read them. For most people, I would recommend just turning them off in your cp so you don't have to see them. I can't do that though.

Although Sal, I do have to say, I still think you should allow custom avatars for all members. Maybe 80x80 for non-supporters, 120x120 for supporters.

Lord Cadillac
08-30-11, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Jimmy.. And the "avatar" suggestion is on my list. I'll get to it eventually...

Ranger
08-30-11, 04:37 PM
i hate signatures that are 10 times the size of the average post.
amen!

ThumperPup
08-30-11, 07:03 PM
In case you hadn't noticed, PM limits (per hour) have been increased. As for the $1.00 per month membership, it's something we've considered for the future as this will keep spammers/false account signups to a bare minimum considering there's actual accountability for members. At that point, there would likely be no network ads at all. We'll have to see how that goes if and when we decide to put this measure in place.

thanks sal sorry i did not notice they where raised to a +1 or 2 per hour

the 1 dollar idea i think it would work out
i know you could count me in for shoot a 2 year membership paid in full up front at that price cause yeah how many active members are there on the forum ? take that on a daily basis just how many are logged on and active and yeah it would probalby elimante any need for outside advertising

ThumperPup
08-30-11, 07:05 PM
I agree with Sal, signature for supporters only. Truth be told, if it was my forum, I would put limits on them, even for a supporters. I hate signatures that are 10 times the size of the average post. It clutters things up. I question how many people even read them. For most people, I would recommend just turning them off in your cp so you don't have to see them. I can't do that though.

Although Sal, I do have to say, I still think you should allow custom avatars for all members. Maybe 80x80 for non-supporters, 120x120 for supporters.

:yeah:
i hate sig's that are 10x's and i think an avi would be cool for all members

RippyPartsDept
08-31-11, 12:58 PM
i noticed that new members (even with zero posts) can send PMs ...

would bringing back the 10 post minimum for PM access help with this spam problem?

Lord Cadillac
08-31-11, 02:00 PM
A post amount/time registered minimum is back in place. This was only removed while we were working on/with the issues from the upgrade...

i noticed that new members (even with zero posts) can send PMs ...

would bringing back the 10 post minimum for PM access help with this spam problem?

RippyPartsDept
08-31-11, 02:28 PM
ok... just making sure that wasn't an oversight (or worse a limit of the new software)

ThumperPup
08-31-11, 02:40 PM
just out of curiosity what kind of spam PM's where you getting question in the past over 2 years i have not got one spam PM

Stingroo
08-31-11, 02:41 PM
Sigh. Not this again.

Lord Cadillac
08-31-11, 02:47 PM
Members were getting spammed with everything. From fake buddhist PMs (well documented on the web) to links to actual viruses, key loggers and adware. With over 100,000 members, it's not hard to believe you didn't get PMd. But plenty of people did. It still happens from time to time.

just out of curiosity what kind of spam PM's where you getting question in the past over 2 years i have not got one spam PM

ThumperPup
08-31-11, 03:19 PM
Members were getting spammed with everything. From fake buddhist PMs (well documented on the web) to links to actual viruses, key loggers and adware. With over 100,000 members, it's not hard to believe you didn't get PMd. But plenty of people did. It still happens from time to time.

Oh yeah that is bad i did not know it was that bad
i thouhgt it was like you have one the Egyptian loto please send you payment for delivery or something like that lol
but had no idea it was that bad