: I really hate to have to put a front license plate on such a beautiful car.

SoCalCTSV
08-28-11, 11:21 PM
I haven't even ordered mine and this already bugs me.

baabootoo
08-28-11, 11:38 PM
Then don't. Just eat the $79 fine and be done with it; if they catch you.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 11:51 PM
RHO plate frame.

js615
08-29-11, 09:46 AM
The D3 plate mount that attaches to the tow hook assembly is the best solution I've seen yet: http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/cts-v-license-plate-mount-tow-hook

M5eater
08-29-11, 09:47 AM
Then don't. Just eat the $79 fine and be done with it; if they catch you.

Mine's off. Obviously it varries depending on location, but I've never once been bothered about not having one, or having obviously illegal ones. Suffolk and State police just don't care unless you're speeding.

dcc8203
08-29-11, 10:02 AM
I've got the D3 mount. Now I just have to make sure the dealer doesn't drill the holes in the bumper anyway!

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 10:22 AM
The D3 plate mount that attaches to the tow hook assembly is the best solution I've seen yet: http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/cts-v-license-plate-mount-tow-hookSolution for if you also want a tow hook. If you don't, this is the best solution...

http://www.rhoplate.com/

Speedtrapped
08-29-11, 12:10 PM
I agree...dont add, if they pull u over, likely for speeding and then ofcourse they will issue summons for no front plate....I dont have on all 4 of my cars in NJ

jb_bgg
08-29-11, 01:16 PM
I've lived in So CA for 25 yrs and have never put a front plate on any of my vehicles. I had a couple tickets during that time and was never written up for no front plate. I pulled into a sandwich shop last week with 3 OC Sheriff's outside eating dinner. As I was eating at a nearby table, when the got up to leave all commented about how nice the car looks and asked about performance; not one mentioned the front plate. If I ever do get dinged with this car I'd put a temp in the tow hook slot to get signed off, then off it would come...

samgar
08-29-11, 01:51 PM
The worst situation is that you get pulled over after a few drinks and end up getting a DUI. So I guess the best situation is don't drink and drive especially if a front license plate is required and you do not have it installed.

I do agree 100% that the car looks better without one. Living in VA, I don't take a chance.

Sam

cruiser68
08-29-11, 03:39 PM
Taking my chances here. So far 3 months no problems. On the other hand, my daughter's car was parked on my street and they ticketed her for no front plate. Had one, just didn't get it on. Stopped me from parking backed in although I don't think they can ticket me in my driveway.

Luna.
08-29-11, 03:42 PM
I got a ticket for not having a front license plate about, say, a year ago. I mounted the front license plate via some zip-ties, had it signed off on, then immediately removed it. I simply will NOT have my '09V wear a front license plate...looks incredibly stupid and the entire idea behind it is a JOKE anyways...

khoeysr
08-29-11, 03:51 PM
I have never put a front plate on either of my V's, my 09 sedan or my 11 coupe. Went thru a checkpoint once, trooper asked me where the front plate was, told her the bracket was on order. She waved me by.

I don't expect to never get taken to task for it, but I also refuse to put one on.

smackdownCTSV
08-29-11, 06:20 PM
Don't. Make sure they don't drill it. If you get pulled over for it more than twice a year, then look into some options. The first couple times you can get away with it, whether it's a warning or you get it corrected and dismissed.

elphil
08-29-11, 07:45 PM
Move to Arizona. A one plate state. http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0116.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 10:52 PM
MA is a 2 plate state if you have plates from '94 or newer. Stupid me, when I was young and dumb I thought the new plates looked so much better than the old boring white and green so I switched. I could've still had the one plate setup.

Anywho, I've run 1 plate for 7+ years on both my '04 and now my '09 V. Never had a problem...

cdog533
08-30-11, 11:44 AM
I've driven in Illinois for 20 YEARS with no front plate and with full tint (back when that was illegal on front windows here) and gotten maybe 5 tickets for each. $50 tickets, not moving violations. I usually get a seatbelt ticket along with one or the other (government can keep its laws OFF my body, say thankya).

As said, the cop can STILL get his revenue without issuing a speeding ticket. And it's a ticket he knows you won't fight. So, it's a win for him and that's what he'll sometimes do. This has saved me 3-4 times from serious moving violations.

The only places that will just ticket you for no front plate are like little sleepy villages (for you IL folks: Wheaton & Winfield are horrible. If you see a car after 10PM in these towns, 50/50 that it's a cop). These places are full of over zealous cops with municipal revenue issues and nothing to do. I just try to avoid those places.

Summary: Be a citizen, not a subject. Don't put the plate on.

tabio42
08-30-11, 01:26 PM
Real cops will use equipment violations for making investigative stops, not traffic enforcement. So unless you: are a gangsta; have drugs or illegal weapons in the car; are a wanted person; are drunk; are unlicensed; are a jerk - you will most likely not get a ticket. Although often inconvenient, these are all (except for the jerk scenario) for the greater good.

.....or so I've heard

M5eater
08-30-11, 02:37 PM
Real cops will use equipment violations for making investigative stops, not traffic enforcement. So unless you: are a gangsta; have drugs or illegal weapons in the car; are a wanted person; are drunk; are unlicensed; are a jerk - you will most likely not get a ticket. Although often inconvenient, these are all (except for the jerk scenario) for the greater good.

.....or so I've heard
virigina is pretty clear about what Tickets are all about.
"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue." (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

litig8r187
08-30-11, 05:38 PM
I have the motorized plate mount and always keep it down and get pulled over.

I had one of these on My SRT Grand Cherokee and one on my daughters SRT Charger. I have one in a box to be installed on my V as soon as I get some time. I always leave it down. If I get stopped I just tell them I put it down to wash the car and forgot to put it back up. Seems to work.

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 12:49 AM
I had one of these on My SRT Grand Cherokee and one on my daughters SRT Charger. I have one in a box to be installed on my V as soon as I get some time. I always leave it down. If I get stopped I just tell them I put it down to wash the car and forgot to put it back up. Seems to work.More pics of daughter's SRT please...

tabio42
08-31-11, 03:53 AM
More pics of daughter's SRT please...

You're just fishing for pics of daughter...

Jk :)

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 01:49 PM
shoosh now.

litig8r187
08-31-11, 05:51 PM
More pics of daughter's SRT please...

I have lots of pics ........ without the daughter!

rockryno
09-05-11, 01:38 PM
Colorado requires a front plate, but ill never put one on my 09. completely ruins the car. I do however keep the front plate in the car and toss it up on the dash when i park on city streets. I do agree that if pulled over, it gives the cop a reason to not ticket you for speeding. I was once pulled over on my R1 and i had never signed the back of my registration, so he ticketed me for that instead of the speeding. $15 fine and no points, vs $75+ with 2 points. I still have an unsigned registration...

09V
09-05-11, 04:27 PM
when my front plate mount was pulled off one of the holes got rounded out trying to get the rivet out and I threw it in my trunk to use as "evidence"
that it was falling off and is now in the midst of repair.

LSxPilot
09-06-11, 11:45 PM
Motorized plate mount - now that is the way to go - but they all seem to have some issues..

4 months in NY and no Ticket yet...Dealer said nobody puts front plates on the V...fingers crossed.

DiamondWhtV
09-07-11, 10:51 AM
Dealer asked if I wanted the front plate installed at delivery, thank goodness. I was excited about getting the V and never even thought about the front plate being installed. With that said, after 19 months, never been pulled over for no front plate. I will pay the fine if it happens.

phickson
09-11-11, 09:21 AM
I used plastic cables ties to affix mine, no rivets by the dealer required (but you have to tell them not to put the front plate on) and in my case I asked for no dealer logos either (I hate those).

litig8r187
09-12-11, 11:07 PM
I had one of these on My SRT Grand Cherokee and one on my daughters SRT Charger. I have one in a box to be installed on my V as soon as I get some time. I always leave it down. If I get stopped I just tell them I put it down to wash the car and forgot to put it back up. Seems to work.

I finally got my front plate installed:

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/2m65mqf/7)

after watching the video, I had to straighten it a little.

Mystical_Ice
09-13-11, 01:17 AM
Driven a V (both gen I and II) for 4 and a half years now. Been pulled over probably a dozen times, but never got a ticket for not having a front license plate.

Several times I was asked (by the officer) why I didn't have a front license plate, and I just told them that the car came from the dealer like that - which was the truth.

Pfcmac
09-13-11, 04:28 AM
litig8r187, can u send me the website for that?

litig8r187
09-13-11, 09:46 PM
Search "Show N Go" on eBay Motors. Should get you about 35-40 hits. They may show for some specific vehicle but they are all the same and generic "one size fits all"

Pfcmac
09-15-11, 02:19 AM
thank you