: thinking about trading in the V for an X5M next year...am i nuts?

ecorpuz12
08-28-11, 10:17 PM
i need more space for the family, would like to take our german shepherd on more trips with us, and the wife needs AWD to get to work (veterinarian) when it snows (which has occurred more frequently here in NC the past few winters).

i still want a high performance vehicle but need more hauling capacity and i'm also not a fan of the ML63 or Range Rover Sport SC. i know the X5 gets redesigned for the 2014 model year so there's also that to consider.

am i nutso?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7569713@N02/6091342884/in/photostream

thatcoder
08-28-11, 10:21 PM
yes.. go with the escalade esv instead.

Gordy Petrovski
08-28-11, 10:39 PM
You're not nuts,the M X5 is a great SUV. I would also test drive the new Jeep SRT before I'd make the jump to the X5.

neuronbob
08-28-11, 10:56 PM
Considered a Vagon? With snow tires (instead of AWD)? :D

Otherwise, the X5M is pretty sporty for am SUV so a decent choice.

ecorpuz12
08-28-11, 11:54 PM
i considered the escalade family but i don't feel like driving a party barge and i want to retain the ability to drive spiritedly. i thought about a Vagon but an SUV is roomier plus the trailer hitch in case i need it.

the new grand cherokee srt looks pretty cool, will definitely give that test drive.

i dunno...for some reason i get bored with cars rather quickly. as my wife says, "...your car whore tendencies are starting up again."

JimmyH
08-29-11, 12:12 AM
another falls to the dark side

e6t
08-29-11, 12:19 AM
x5s are not large by any means.

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 12:43 AM
I've always been a fan of the X5. That being said, I saw one in NH with a vanity plate that said 555HP. I lol'd. Personally, your situation would be the perfect excuse for a Vagon...

EuroTrash
08-29-11, 01:17 AM
x5 isnt that big, if you want awd buy a subaru and mod your V with the savings.

That will get you way better snow/AWD performance, if you pick the right one you can still have a blast driving it, and well i just am not a fan of X5's.

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 01:26 AM
I'd love a used Forester XT as a winter vehicle. Hopefully in another 2-3 years they'll be cheap enough...

thatcoder
08-29-11, 02:58 AM
x5s are not large by any means.

exactly.. same with the range rover..

u'd be disappointed with the cargo room in these things..

u could go with a shorty escalade, and rid yourself of the third row seats if u don't have more than 2/3kids.. go with 2 captain chairs for 2 kids.. and a bench for 3.

M5eater
08-29-11, 09:15 AM
i know the X5 gets redesigned for the 2014 model year so there's also that to consider.

I wouldn't consider it. It's 2 years away, typical model refreshes are what, 4-5, *maybe* 6 years apart, There are exceptions (Mostly American..) of course, but the Germans are pretty strict to it.

As for the idea of these super-car like SUV's, I've always found them pretty useless at everything. You take an X5, which is already so-so on it's SUV qualities(and most of that are the carry-overs from the land-Rover aquisistion years ago), give it a massive engine, super stiff suspension, massive wheels and slices of paper called summer tires to make it *more* on-road/dry pavement oriented, somehow try to build it for cornering (which it can do pretty decently I suppose) which again.. on road..ect. Then sell it for ...wait for it.....$86,000 base MSRP, with some goodies you're eyeballing six digits like everything else above the M3. I understand the appeal of owning something like this, even if for the Wow factor, as I've never seen one and I would imagine it would be a good laugh for a few months. The reality of owning one though is pretty grim with all the high mantiance costs, practicality reduced to almost zero, depreciation and the fact that there are brand new options out there that cost < 1/2 the price if all you need is some storage space and something to haul a trailer once in a while. If there are advantages here, I'm not seeing them.

ecorpuz12
08-29-11, 09:31 AM
all great points....i've had an X5 as a rental car before so i know what it's like inside. it's wider than the Vagon but an inch or two shorter i think. the cargo area is about the same length but the roofline is higher in the X5. the back seat is much roomier as well which is nice for when my parents visit. i hate squeezing them in the back of the V with the car seat back there. they're small asian folk but they still get smushed...lol.

as for the escalade, that's not an option for me since i still want the sporty ride and performance.

anyway, thanks for the opinions....it's always nice hearing from fellow driving enthusiasts.

M5eater
08-29-11, 09:43 AM
all great points....i've had an X5 as a rental car before so i know what it's like inside. it's wider than the Vagon but an inch or two shorter i think. the cargo area is about the same length but the roofline is higher in the X5. the back seat is much roomier as well which is nice for when my parents visit. i hate squeezing them in the back of the V with the car seat back there. they're small asian folk but they still get smushed...lol.

as for the escalade, that's not an option for me since i still want the sporty ride and performance.

anyway, thanks for the opinions....it's always nice hearing from fellow driving enthusiasts.

whatever you decide, remember we need pictures. ;)

ecorpuz12
08-29-11, 10:18 AM
whatever you decide, remember we need pictures. ;)

will definitely provide pics....even if i go M (50/50 at this point) i'll still remain of member of this forum. i was thinking of trading in the wife's car a couple yrs after it's paid off next year and get her an ATS-V. we'll see, a lot of things can happen in the next few yrs. if i win that powerball i'm going to buy a train...lol

js615
08-29-11, 10:31 AM
Well - faced with your situation, I chose to get my wife an '11 SRX and keep my '09 V. Problem solved - When the family goes places together we take her car. When it's just me, or just me & her, the V get's the call. Bonus: the garage looks wicked awesome with two silver Caddy's in it. Extra bonus: I don't have to take the V out in bad weather.

nynd
08-29-11, 11:01 AM
X5M is a a pig on gas.. thats all I know. The utility is probably not as much as a GL550 or something. You should go and drive one of those... (not as preppy as X5M but nice just the same). Or... keep the V and get a used SUV for when times dictate its use!

M5eater
08-29-11, 11:11 AM
X5M is a a pig on gas.. thats all I know. The utility is probably not as much as a GL550 or something. You should go and drive one of those... (not as preppy as X5M but nice just the same). Or... keep the V and get a used SUV for when times dictate its use!

Honestly, it's pretty decent for a 555HP SUV, if BMW has done anything right, it's that the new TT 4.4 gets great gas mileage. 23MPG in the F10 M5 is pretty freaking fantastic for a Super-sedan. Even the E63 is pretty far behind that @ 13/20, never mind V2s; which are at the bottom of the list.

Just for a comparison..
A 6L90E V2 only manages 12/18, the X5M is 12/17(with extra weight and AWD), and since you have a 22.5gallon tank on the X5, 300+ mile re-fills are realistic. Moving from a V2 to an X5M should be fairly painless.

SleepTight
08-29-11, 01:32 PM
Solid choice. Though the whole concept of the X5M/Cayenne Turbo is sort of lost on me, my wife's X5 35D is a terrific long-haul car and drives better than any other SUV on the highway. Plus it's made right here in America (http://www.bmwusfactory.com/).

JimmyH
08-29-11, 01:57 PM
if you want awd buy a subaru and mod your V with the savings.

That will get you way better snow/AWD performance, if you pick the right one you can still have a blast driving it

sage advice; impreza outback ftw

You take an X5, which is already so-so on it's SUV qualities(and most of that are the carry-overs from the land-Rover aquisistion years ago), give it a massive engine, super stiff suspension, massive wheels and slices of paper called summer tires to make it *more* on-road/dry pavement oriented, somehow try to build it for cornering (which it can do pretty decently I suppose) which again.. on road..ect. Then sell it for ...wait for it.....$86,000 base MSRP, with some goodies you're eyeballing six digits like everything else above the M3.

:true:

the loyalists will buy whatever bmw builds, at any price. I give BMW credit, they sure know their business.

deckofficer
08-29-11, 02:31 PM
I don't know how much snow you deal with, but when I lived at Tahoe I owned many 4X4 and all wheel drive vehicles. I can tell you first hand, if the snow is less than 8" deep for fresh, and ALL other snow covered roads, nothing beats the Subaru in snow, period.

M5eater
08-29-11, 02:39 PM
the loyalists will buy whatever bmw builds, at any price. I give BMW credit, they sure know their business.

not all of them apparently, I remember some news link that said the CTS was out-selling the M brands combined?

baabootoo
08-29-11, 02:56 PM
My BMW dealer is BEGGING me to get a new M5. He said they ordered the medium blue, with blue calipers, which is the color I'd get. We'll see what he talks for money when it comes in though.

M5eater
08-29-11, 03:09 PM
My BMW dealer is BEGGING me to get a new M5. He said they ordered the medium blue, with blue calipers, which is the color I'd get. We'll see what he talks for money when it comes in though.

I will admit, I may stroll over to checkard flag BMW when they roll-out to see what the fuss is about. (does that rhyme? lol)

stabie
08-29-11, 03:09 PM
Begging == desperate. Whats wrong with it?

M5eater
08-29-11, 03:14 PM
Begging == desperate. Whats wrong with it?

I would imagine any 90K+ car isn't exactly flying off the shelf right now. The ZR1 one of my V2 friends recently traded for was sitting on the show-room @ Casey Chevrolet for over a year before they managed to dump it on him for an amazing price.

Or Maybe it's because within their own forum the majority of members consider it a dissapointment.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10-m5-discussion/190116-you-disappointed-f10-m5.html

ecorpuz12
08-29-11, 06:27 PM
gonna test drive an X5 50i with sport pkg followed by the X5M in a few wks to compare the two. we'll see how that goes and i'll report findings if anyone cares.

JimmyH
08-29-11, 06:57 PM
not all of them apparently, I remember some news link that said the CTS was out-selling the M brands combined?

Someone stated here that the V2 is outselling the M3 and M5 combined. I have no idea if that is true.

I doubt M3 and M5 buyers are loyalists though. You guys with V2, M, AMG, I think most of you are looking for the car that appeals most to you. Doesn't seem to be many brand loyalists at this level of performance.

JimmyH
08-29-11, 07:00 PM
I would imagine any 90K+ car isn't exactly flying off the shelf right now. The ZR1 one of my V2 friends recently traded for was sitting on the show-room @ Casey Chevrolet for over a year before they managed to dump it on him for an amazing price.

How about it...a year ago I saw two ZR1 with "market adjustment" stickers on the windshield. Doesn't take long for that to end.

M5eater
08-29-11, 07:03 PM
Someone stated here that the V2 is outselling the M3 and M5 combined. I have no idea if that is true.

I doubt M3 and M5 buyers are loyalists though. You guys with V2, M, AMG, I think most of you are looking for the car that appeals most to you. Doesn't seem to be many brand loyalists at this level of performance.

I don't know about that one, I was on M5 board for a few months lurking when I lusted after an E39 (still do), there are some PROPERLY crazy Fanboys there.

For myself I can't think of anything I'd rather have right now or see a future where the qualities of the V2 are somehow are transplanted into a German rival. I mean obvisoully if I suddenly start making a quater mil I'd move into something nicer, but right now, the V2 is everything I want, literally the only thing I miss are a few electronic gadgets and maybe better dealer service. Some OE performance parts would be nice too. Mostly small stuff though.

As for the rest of the community, I know what you mean, there's just not this tight-knit community feeling with V2 owners that I've been accustomed to with the G8 and A4/S4. I sort of feel like a lot of short-term buyers are just floating around until the next best thing shows up. I'll admit I've been guilty of that, but I've also been moving ''up'' rather than moving along.

ecorpuz12
08-29-11, 11:02 PM
this is my second cadillac and i've always been treated like a rock star at the dealer that i go to so i do have sense of brand loyalty when it comes to that. however, i'm not blinded by brand fanboyism like a lot of M3 owners seem to be, especially on some of those bimmer specific forums. some of the posts are so ignorant it's unbelievable.

my wife drives an E90 BMW and the dealer in town treats us like royalty as well so that's another reason why i lean towards them.

the V2 does lack some tech tidbits that i find in other cars of this price range but you still can't beat the performance for dollar value anywhere.

i will say this though, the folks that are on this V2 forum are some of the most sensible, mature, and down to earth ppl on the internet.

EuroTrash
08-29-11, 11:39 PM
so you are gonna get a subaru forester XT, buy an accessport, down pipe, exhaust, headers, put snow tires on it and run low 13's? ;)

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:17 AM
I don't know how much snow you deal with, but when I lived at Tahoe I owned many 4X4 and all wheel drive vehicles. I can tell you first hand, if the snow is less than 8" deep for fresh, and ALL other snow covered roads, nothing beats the Subaru in snow, period.In back to back winters we had 3ft+ blizzards in MA. My father had a Forester XT with snow tires. UNSTOPPABLE. Get on a highway that's been plowed but leaves a 3ft bank to get over to get on, no problem. Need to drive a road that has over a foot of snow, no problem. Get forced off the road by some douche in a Suburban and need to back out of a 6ft drift, no problem. Get back home and need to get in a driveway that is 3ft deep and has a 4ft bank, no problem.

Seriously, we'd hop in that Forester around 11PM and drive around the greater Boston area until 5AM. Twas awesome...

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:17 AM
sage advice; impreza outback ftw

Impreza Outback? wuss...

EuroTrash
08-30-11, 12:24 AM
In back to back winters we had 3ft+ blizzards in MA. My father had a Forester XT with snow tires. UNSTOPPABLE. Get on a highway that's been plowed but leaves a 3ft bank to get over to get on, no problem. Need to drive a road that has over a foot of snow, no problem. Get forced off the road by some douche in a Suburban and need to back out of a 6ft drift, no problem. Get back home and need to get in a driveway that is 3ft deep and has a 4ft bank, no problem.

Seriously, we'd hop in that Forester around 11PM and drive around the greater Boston area until 5AM. Twas awesome...

The 09's with an AP + header/downpipe/exhaust == even more fun. ;)

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:30 AM
No stick. boo...

EuroTrash
08-30-11, 12:32 AM
No stick. boo...

Yeah that is the only sucky part of the forester series. Makes it a fun snow/wife car however. Plus it is just fun running things over in those damn things. Way more ground clearance then most people expect. *evil grin*

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:34 AM
That Forester XT showed how well Subaru knows AWD. I left Dunkin Donuts onto a snow covered road. The RWD bias allowed me to get the tires spinning and have the car 45 degrees from straight for a few hundred yards. Just countersteer and keep your foot on the throttle. So easy...

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:36 AM
Yeah that is the only sucky part of the forester series. Makes it a fun snow/wife car however. Plus it is just fun running things over in those damn things. Way more ground clearance then most people expect. *evil grin*I miss my parents' '03. That 1st gear was so quick. Redline at 30mph. You didn't need drag radials. Just enough tirespin on dry pavement and the thing would leap and go. It could beat anything from 0-30...

JimmyH
08-30-11, 02:26 PM
Impreza Outback? wuss...

Seriously? after you just got done raving about the Forester? They are the same freaking car, you midnight charlatan.

deckofficer
08-30-11, 02:55 PM
This guy knows Subie's performance in snow. I didn't state that in my 1st post suggesting a Subaru, but it is true. I have had Blazers, Jeep Wagoneers, Broncos, 4X4 trucks, and none could take the throttle in the snow, in turns, like the Subie. Made you feel like you knew what you were doing in the white stuff, not to mention the cool front tire snow rooster tails thrown up when powering through the twisties. You won't find anyone who disagrees, that has owned the Subie and others in snow country.

I had used quotes from the bigjimshow and it didn't show, so I'll just copy & paste......

That Forester XT showed how well Subaru knows AWD. I left Dunkin Donuts onto a snow covered road. The RWD bias allowed me to get the tires spinning and have the car 45 degrees from straight for a few hundred yards. Just countersteer and keep your foot on the throttle. So easy...

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 01:42 AM
Seriously? after you just got done raving about the Forester? They are the same freaking car, you midnight charlatan.Impreza Outbacks have no turbo. No turbo, no care.

IGotId
09-14-11, 10:06 PM
i came across this thread while re-visiting the forum & searching for pics of opulent blue Vagons:cool2: i joined this board last yr while researching for a replacement for my e46 M3 (which needed to go after my 3rd child was born in April). i was very close to ordering a wagon & would have done so had the vagon been able to fit 3 carseats across the rear. obviously to those of you who have a V, that was impossible. so i went ahead & got an X5 M after debating all 4 different X5 options (35i, 35d, 50i, & M). after having owned the X5 M for about 6 weeks, i have to say that i love it! freakishly fast & comfortable ride (although i'm coming from an e46 which was lowered on coils, that being said, my wife hated my m3's ride & absolutely loves my X5 M). it's also "practical" enough to fit 3 carseats & plenty of kid gear. i suppose i'll have to get a thule roof carrier for longer vacations but don't mind at all. i'm also averaging a little < 15mpg (although many board members who've posted are averaging in the single digits!). hope that helps! :cool: