: Do Not Post Email Addresses In Forum Communities

Lord Cadillac
08-28-11, 07:55 PM
I've been getting more and more requests by members - some who haven't visited in YEARS - to remove all their own mentioning of their email address in posts. This is not something I have to do but something I do as a favor to people. This is also something I do AS I get to it - so I don't always have the time to make it happen right away. And worst of all, many times the email address remains in a search engine's cache as old discussions are not replied to and never change (no reason for the search engine to update). And not only THAT - even when a new post is made and a new page is created in the thread - the old, already existing pages don't change - and those email addresses are still listed.

It is going to become a rule here that email addresses are not allowed in forum posts. I suggest that no one posts their email address in any public environment on the internet - ever. Especially not on a busy site. These sites DO get crawled by people/bots looking for people to send their spam to.

Keep your email address private.

JimmyH
08-28-11, 08:08 PM
I used to delete people's email addresses from their posts, after it looked like whomever it was addressed to got it.

then someone went off on me for editing his post. So I am not doing it anymore. If you guys want the bots to get your addresses, its on you.

By the way, posting your address name at domain dot com is just as good as posting a link as far as the bots are concerned.

ThumperPup
08-28-11, 08:26 PM
Edited
to say
i think this is stupid if someone wants to post there email address then so be it they need to understand it can't always be removed and ones its on the web its there for ever anyways

me i use a disposable email address i can change at any time in case i get to much spam

this almost feels like a Democracy and our hands are about to be tied on how we can communicate come on 60 minute between PM's no email addresses in posts
whats next no pm's or contact info for anyone unless you pay to support
i know i would but only reason i choose not to put money in right now is because one of the only things i felt i got extra from it was my upgraded PM status to hold more and safe more PM's but i think its worthless with only 1 every 60 minutes

so not trying to turn this into a PM thread

just saying it seems like your on your way to locking our hands on what we can do and can't

just my Opinion your the boss do what you want nothing we can do about it

Rolex
08-28-11, 08:59 PM
:bigroll:

Ranger
08-28-11, 09:24 PM
An "emergency"? :hmm:

RippyPartsDept
08-28-11, 09:28 PM
should I remove it from my signaure (when it gets reactivated when i get my account back to platinum dealer)?

i've never had a problem w/ spam really (but i think we may have some filtering going on upstream, i'm not sure though) and the email app i've been using (thunderbird) seems to catch the couple that do get through

i've posted my email a few times recently since my sig has been gone also ...

... just wondering

EDIT: no longer wondering ... i get it.

Rolex
08-28-11, 09:48 PM
An "emergency"? :hmm:

Yea with a capitol E.

I would suggest in case of emergency, hang up, and dial 9-1-1.

ThumperPup
08-28-11, 09:53 PM
yall can make joke all you want it just shows how childish we all are at times lol yes im talking about yall also

Ranger
08-28-11, 10:00 PM
Personally I don't care if you post your email address or not, but for the sake of us "children", please explain what could possibly constitute an "emergency", because in my wildest imagination I cannot come up with a possible scenario. :noidea:

ThumperPup
08-28-11, 10:17 PM
Personally I don't care if you post your email address or not, but for the sake of us "children", please explain what could possibly constitute an "emergency", because in my wildest imagination I cannot come up with a possible scenario. :noidea:

NO i won't:tsucks::gun::brutal:

JimmyH
08-28-11, 10:24 PM
To summarize, I think Sal is tired (and rightfully so) of getting requests from people to remove the email addresses that they themselves posted. So he is advising them not to post them in the first place because none of us has the time to go through everyone's posts and delete all references to their email address.

So thunderpup, if you want to post your disposable email address, please feel free to do so. If I get some time, I will post my kid's old disposable diapers.

ThumperPup
08-28-11, 10:39 PM
To summarize, I think Sal is tired (and rightfully so) of getting requests from people to remove the email addresses that they themselves posted. So he is advising them not to post them in the first place because none of us has the time to go through everyone's posts and delete all references to their email address.

So thunderpup, if you want to post your disposable email address, please feel free to do so. If I get some time, I will post my kid's old disposable diapers.

omg you need more diapers did the kids not change you on time ( kidding)

im just simply trying to say that if someone wants there Email address not to be posted then they should never post it period
simply say you posted it now you deal with it kind of thing
even if you delete it from the system
it will always be out there on the net You I and most others know this ones its out its not going back

JimmyH
08-28-11, 10:46 PM
im just simply trying to say that if someone wants there Email address not to be posted then they should never post it period

And I am trying to tell you that was the point of this thread.

ThumperPup
08-28-11, 11:00 PM
And I am trying to tell you that was the point of this thread.

ah ok well it sounded alot more like it was becoming a new rule that we may not post emails in threads more like a rule then a suggestion

JimmyH
08-28-11, 11:03 PM
If people keep flooding his mailbox with requests to delete email address, it may.

Lord Cadillac
08-29-11, 02:53 PM
Some people don't realize there's a huge push to end the "anonymous" internet - and that your email address, like your telephone number, will be identifiable. In other words, posting your email address on a public website will be as stupid as posting your phone number or social security number.

ThumperPup
08-29-11, 08:33 PM
Some people don't realize there's a huge push to end the "anonymous" internet - and that your email address, like your telephone number, will be identifiable. In other words, posting your email address on a public website will be as stupid as posting your phone number or social security number.

sal i do agree with you but i think it should be a Do at your own risk and don't ask us to delete it ones its on there
its on there
so don't post it if you don't want it posted for life

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 09:00 PM
once.

Stingroo
08-29-11, 09:09 PM
Doce.

Yay Spanish!

RightTurn
08-29-11, 10:32 PM
What the hell?? Sal said "DON'T DO IT." So don't. Or, GTFO. :gah:

Lord Cadillac
08-30-11, 11:45 AM
If I get enough people complaining about the inability to post email addresses, I will consider turning against my feelings on this and simply add a section to the user agreement that states to post your email address at your own risk - and that we will not be responsible for removing it from posts in the future.

That'll be fine for everyone - until somebody needs their email address removed. Then it'll be all complaining and whining (to me) from there...

Ranger
08-30-11, 03:32 PM
post your email address at your own risk - and that we will not be responsible for removing it from posts in the future.
This ^^ equals ignore to this vv

Then it'll be all complaining and whining (to me) from there...

Submariner409
08-30-11, 06:31 PM
That'll be fine for everyone - until somebody needs their email address removed. Then it'll be all complaining and whining (to me) from there...

Insert the disclaimer in the rules, then simply bookmark this thread. Then, when "somebody" whines about spam, unwanted e-mails and ads, bump this thread. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

In this day and age of privacy intrusion as a game, anyone who would post their E-mail address - permanent or temporary - in a public forum is not traveling with a full sea bag.............

JimmyH
08-30-11, 07:13 PM
meh. i have posted mine. who cares. I already get 100 junk emails a day. there can't be too many lists out there that don't already have me.

Stingroo
08-30-11, 09:42 PM
Exactly. Email addresses are practically disposable these days. It's not like you have to get one from your ISP.

Lord Cadillac
08-30-11, 10:12 PM
Exactly. Email addresses are practically disposable these days. It's not like you have to get one from your ISP.

The people who use disposable email addresses don't care. It's the millions of people who don't that I'm referring to here.

RippyPartsDept
08-30-11, 10:53 PM
To tell you the truth I've been using the same gmail address since it was invite only and in the last dew years have put it out publicly online. Posted in various places, Facebook public profile for instance, and I've never had a problem with spam. Google does a really good job. Sure some eventually get thru bit it's only a couple every once in a blue moon, and I mark them as spam and move along.

If you haven't tried gmail for whatever reason you really should - especially of you ate tired of spam.

Lord Cadillac
08-31-11, 10:47 AM
Gmail has been the best with spam for me as well. I'm in the process of moving away from my very first email address from the mid 90s. Kinda sucks but I have little choice...