: Diamond White Paint Job looks "splotchy"

EXTatic
10-24-04, 05:28 PM
I have a 04 EXT in diamond white....is it just mine or does the paint look "botchy" from certain angles?

When I say "blotchy" I mean in patches...almost as though the pressure from the paint gun was uneven when being painted.

I'm praying that this is just the way the diamond white is supposed to look and not hoping that I got a "lemon" paint job.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me..

.blessed

Spittin Game
10-24-04, 05:50 PM
Is it when it gets kinda dirty? Mine looks the smae way, and the dealer told me thats just how the White Diamond looks when its not clean. I only notice it up close though.

onbagz2002
10-24-04, 05:51 PM
I've noticed that on mine to kinda "BLOTCHY" lookin like patchs all over.I can only really tell on the hood...

Ralph
10-24-04, 06:12 PM
I waxed my Dad's 03 DTS in White Diamond and the paint seemed good. No noticeable splotches so far. Maybe go to the dealership and compare to others on the lot?

hcvone
10-25-04, 12:14 AM
As said when it's dirty it looks that way, you see none of that on mine when it's clean. :)

00 STS
10-25-04, 12:59 PM
i thought the orange-peel was a factory option only i had. :hmm: i seem to have more than normal, but it doesn't look too bad when waxed.

ipncjh1
10-25-04, 03:03 PM
I have an 00 DTS white diamond and it does look a little splotchy. I was wondering if this was normal. The car still looks real nice so I have not thought about it. May just be normal the way the light bounces off the paint.

Outracin
10-25-04, 07:43 PM
white diamond is a 3 stage paint. base, top coat, then clear. Blotchines in it should just be an illusion especially if its a factory finish. Any 3 stage paint is diddicult to match so look into if your vehicle has had any body work. That dont mean you have had it fixed, the dealer, or any shipping/transfering depot could have been the culprit. The law states that if the vehicle was damaged before retail sale by law they dont have to disclose it if it was under 4% of the vehicles MSRP. This rule applies to everyone, meaning for example. truck gets hit at assembly plant, they fix it. Then when it was in route by rail or truck freight they wack into it and fix it. then the dealer gets it and some jerkoff backs into it and they fix it, then that dealer swaps it out to another dealer where you BUY It. This is a litle extreme but you get the idea, a car could have had body work done on almost every piece of sheet metal and still be sold as BRAND NEW. a lade is around 60g's msrp so they are allowd over 2g's worth of damage each incident, you can do a pretty good amount of damage for over $2000

Tjay
10-25-04, 10:57 PM
Agree blotchy from angles when dirty.....

mrplastic
10-25-04, 11:08 PM
My 05 EXT was splotchy , new from the dealer and clean as soon as I took it out in the sun. I think once you wax it and the pait is all cured it will be fine. I had my tonau cover painted diamond and don't see any at all. 3 weeks old for that. Now I can wax it all as the paint does not bead on the cover. That is what the body shop told me.

EXTatic
10-26-04, 01:24 AM
thank you all for your responses...the thing is...I got the truck brand new...I clean it meticulously...and still get the splotchy look...since posting I've made an effort to go out and hunt down a few DW lades....sure enough...from certain angles...you see it...it def looks like inconsistent pressure from a paint gun...bottomline....a bad paint job...
I've seen other three stage paint processes applied before and never seen that happen..unless done poorly...
I don't know...the mere glee of having the lade..with all its features and comforts.. erases the uneasy feeling I get about the way it looks...but it still haunts me somewhat...

hcvone
10-26-04, 08:57 AM
I see a lot of new Corvette's because I have owned so many and I am in several clubs, some of the paint on the new Vette's is very bad, so I am sure you may have gotten a bad paint job on your truck, that's why I take 2 people with me to look over any car or truck before I purchase it, some times we become "new car blind" while looking at a new car or truck and just do not see things. :)

johncole
11-22-04, 04:08 PM
I have an '03 white diamond Escalade and now I'm moving up to a Silver '05 ESV. I too noticed during the course of the year or so I've owned it the blotchy patches - you can really only see this in direct sun and at an angle. In less then direct sun and at night the paint looks perfect and luminent. Having had to touch up my bumper I can see how this can happen in the spray booth -- I suppose they just can't get that second coat of perl on perfectly even -- the PEARL, or sparkles, are distributed make spray overlap more pronounced -- so that's what you're seeing -- a differince in slight densities of the second coat. The color is nontheless beautiful, but I would not want to have to blend it for a repair. I'm moving to the silver lade ESV because I think this better fits the length of the vehicle and it will probably be easier to kepp clean. You tend to see everything with the w. diamond.

Dif
11-22-04, 10:27 PM
I have a 04 EXT in diamond white....is it just mine or does the paint look "botchy" from certain angles?

When I say "blotchy" I mean in patches...almost as though the pressure from the paint gun was uneven when being painted.

I'm praying that this is just the way the diamond white is supposed to look and not hoping that I got a "lemon" paint job.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me..

.blessed

Basically it's the paint.. Diamond White.
As mentioned in one of the other posts.. it's a 3 stage paint.
It's a Very hard paint to get totally perfect and if you realize what happens at the factory on any of these vehicles it's pretty amazing that they come out as good as they do.
I don't know why they haven't perfected a paint job that doesn't have any orange peel for that matter but that's another can of worms.
With the Diamond White, some come out better and some worse but..
bottom line is if you don't notice it until you really scrutinize it, the paint job is about as good as it's going to be.
My cousin just bought a 04 CTS in the Diamond White and he's so picky he went and wet sanded and rebuffed the whole car.
That helped a lot but there are still some spots.. if you really look, that have that blotchyness.
My 04 EXT isn't White but there are lots of other little things that erk me about it but... like you said...
when you're driving it, it's still pretty neat and a joy to have.
Just some info and my thoughts.
Regards.. Frank

WhiteDiamond
11-23-04, 01:44 PM
Areed. When mine is dirty I notice the blotchy issue. Looks like the cure is to keep it clean all the time but winter is coming and we know how that is.