: Any known issues/weaknesses with the 09 Vs? About to buy one...help

1Sensei
08-28-11, 04:57 PM
Hey everyone, getting close to purchasing one and just wanted to know if the 09s have issues or weaknesses in the drivetrain or any other functions such as electrical, power roofs...etc. Also, your recommendations as to one year V is the best, if at all. Thanks for your feedback.

Razorecko
08-28-11, 08:41 PM
I think the 09 V is the best imho. We have stuff like ambient foot lighting, the v symbols on the door sills. Rain sense wipers. Also I think the build quality on the 09's might be better as I've noticed less '09 owners having issues.

neuronbob
08-28-11, 09:54 PM
^^^^
I agree. From the comments on this site, 2009 might be the best year for the current V.

Razorecko
08-28-11, 10:04 PM
^^^^
I agree. From the comments on this site, 2009 might be the best year for the current V.

Which is ironic since 1st year production vehicles have the most bugs. My belief is that the 09 V's were made right before the bailout everyone at GM was scared to hell about their job and actually put in 150% into the work. Now since GM is partially UAW owned it seems like a slopfest. And I can say slopfest as I have a 2010 srx and its been in the shop more in its 10k miles than my V in its 36k. Not to mention even Jesse/Wait4me showed me in person some of the goofy sh*t with the newer V blocks. Like pores all over the head material....Which i'm sure is great for the headgasket in the long run

mrl859
08-28-11, 10:15 PM
some of the goofy sh*t with the newer V blocks. Like pores all over the head material....Which i'm sure is great for the headgasket in the long runI don't buy it. I'm not saying Jesse's wrong. I just don't believe that they've compromised quality, reliability/longevity. They still have to stand behind it for 60 months/100K miles.

baabootoo
08-28-11, 11:43 PM
Don't some have the heated wiper fluid also?

1Sensei
08-29-11, 12:35 AM
What about rearends and trannies after modifications. Any patterns of problem? Hey, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming!!

Razorecko
08-29-11, 08:00 AM
I don't buy it. I'm not saying Jesse's wrong. I just don't believe that they've compromised quality, reliability/longevity. They still have to stand behind it for 60 months/100K miles.

I physically saw with my own eyes the pores in the heads...I was pretty suprised

mrl859
08-29-11, 08:09 AM
I physically saw with my own eyes the pores in the heads...I was pretty suprisedI believe you completely. I'm just saying that either you got a one off poorly manufactured set of heads, or the pores are not enough to cause a problem for a stock engine. That's all. 5 yrs./100K is a long time.

Cub Cadet
08-29-11, 08:09 AM
If you are going to modify the car, I would highly recommend the 6spd manual. The automatic has really not been figured out and I keep reading about transmission questions/issues on various CTS-V forums. If you get an automatic, a trans tune is needed right away, and then you have to question if it is a good tune and if they should or should not remove torque mgmt. Just so many variables with the automatic.

M5eater
08-29-11, 08:56 AM
If you are going to modify the car, I would highly recommend the 6spd manual. The automatic has really not been figured out and I keep reading about transmission questions/issues on various CTS-V forums. If you get an automatic, a trans tune is needed right away, and then you have to question if it is a good tune and if they should or should not remove torque mgmt. Just so many variables with the automatic.
These issues are not singular to the 6L80/90E though, walk into any other GM board with people running 4L80Es (or *any* automatic transmission on *any* board) for as long as they've been around and you'll still find people complaining of shotty builds leading to 1000HP tranmissions taking a dump on half the power. The solution to everything, is don't cheapout on your builder / tuner, and make sure they've had extensive mutli-year experience *with* customer feedback on your specific transmssion. Autos have more moving parts, are harder to put together right and are not as simple as a good ole manual, that's the fact. However, the 6L80E has been slowly replacing 4L80E marketshare over the years, and the 90E goes one step further on the weaknesses that the 80E had, there are some inherent learning-curves with old-school builders moving to intergrated computer-controlled transmissions that adjust even for clutch material wear, but considering that the 90E can be built to 700-800HP+ semi-reliabiltiy right now(and irrc some sell 1000HP kits), I don't have a doubt in the next few years it's going to get even better, and eventually the old workhorse 4L80E will be a distant memory.

Razorecko
08-29-11, 10:46 AM
A big issue you'll see more often with the high powered V's and the auto trans is trying to get it to shift properly to maximize the power. You just have alot more control with a manual trans and a high powered car. Unless you are awd and have no worries about traction

M5eater
08-29-11, 10:57 AM
A big issue you'll see more often with the high powered V's and the auto trans is trying to get it to shift properly to maximize the power. You just have alot more control with a manual trans and a high powered car. Unless you are awd and have no worries about traction

You know, I was about to go off into a rant about how the V2 should have seen a proper DSG, but lets face it, the regular simple TC auto can take more power or be built to take more power than any DSG GM would have provided, is far more reliable and maintiance free than any DSG and is half as expensive to repair. There are disadvantages to any powertrain. The decision you have to make is which ones you want to take the hit on. Will most people, or even 10% of V2 owners take their Auto past the point where it needs an upgrade which might possibly mean sacraficing some of the advantage in shift speed over the 6060? Nope. The important part though, is that you can build it take power without getting crazy on price, and there's no brick wall point too much with either choice.

baabootoo
08-29-11, 01:54 PM
The block porosity was a problem in the Pontiac G8s since they started making them in 2008. I only remember one gut here having an issue with wheel hop, but never did hear the results either. The redesign, and bigger axles, seemed to cure it all.

09V
08-29-11, 05:33 PM
I would say have the car put on a lift so you can see for yourself if there is a history of leaks, the rear tie rod ends being damaged, or not tightened. Also check things like your oil pressure with the DIC. Some simple things could save you quite a bit of heartache. Jesse had mentioned that he has seen or heard of several stock Vs from 09 that had oil pump failures, so just a quick check of a hot idle could identify issues.