: Visibility Question

SRX312
08-28-11, 02:33 PM
When I sit in the driver's seat of my new 2012 SRX...I adjust the seat, steering wheel, and pedals for my maximum comfort. I am 6' tall and weigh 230 lbs. I am comfortable but the seating position seems kinda low. The side of the vehicle seems higher than my previous SUV. I couldnt open the window and rest my arm on top of the door. Does anyone else notice this? But the bigger problem for me is...I cannot see the hood of the vehicle. It makes driving a bit uncomfortable since I am used to seeing the hood of the vehicle. I feel like I am driving kinda blind. Even if I move the seat to its highest position, I still cant see much of the vehicle hood. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a problem for anyone? Is it just something I have to get used to? Thank you for your reply.

b4z
08-28-11, 10:39 PM
Enjoy all the great new cars with high door sills and small windows.
Go test drive a Camaro, then come back and drive your SRX. You will think it's got great visibility and ergonomics.

Marc NY
08-28-11, 11:21 PM
I have noticed that the top of the door panels (window ledge) in all of our family of crossovers are indeed slightly higher than my older and much larger size SUVs I owned back in the day. It appears to me that the newer crossover designs seem to have their door panels that way now (even Camaro etc). I am 6'2" 235 lbs. I have no real issues seeing over the hood in fact I have the seat positioned fairly low... certainly lower than my wife's. My daughter on the contrary has her new Equinox seats set a wee bit too low for me and she is 5'10". I guess it is depends on ones comfort zone in driving... she came out of a Saturn ION which was much lower to the ground.

Perhaps I have just gotten used to the newer era of crossover's with more of a car like seating and somewhat higher door panels design vs. in my older days. Those seats were indeed bigger and broader in my old Silverado, Tahoe and Denali. Not only did they feel broader and higher in their positioning the door panels were much lower with a larger window area. That combination gives one a sense of openness and a feeling of much more visibility. BTW: You should try out a HUMMER's door panel ... it is very high and it feels like your are looking out of a port hole on a cruise ship, a very small opening indeed.