: M5's are slow

translux
08-27-11, 09:07 PM
That is all

LitiGATOR
08-27-11, 09:18 PM
. . . for now. The new ones are going to be quick.

translux
08-27-11, 09:37 PM
Not quicker than me ;)

LitiGATOR
08-27-11, 09:45 PM
Maybe not stock, but there are going to be some fast ones out there once modded.

cbloveday
08-27-11, 10:56 PM
Send them my way :)

LitiGATOR
08-27-11, 11:19 PM
I raced a "highly-modded" 335 last week and I let him get the lead from the line because my tires are bald, but then I blew by him much to his chagrin. I've lined-up next to M5s at the track and dismissed them with little problem.

translux
08-27-11, 11:50 PM
To get the kind of power we have in the new M5 will cost more than our cars and will void the warranty on a 40k+ powertrain, not to mention that the DSG is not up to the task of big power without some serious work. And will be as unstable and unrelaible as steel ball on slab of granite. And no amount of money and will get you close to a Car like Curtis's.

King335i
08-28-11, 12:50 AM
Time will tell.

translux
08-28-11, 01:40 AM
Time will tell.

For sure but if the past is any indication of the future the above statement is true.

King335i
08-28-11, 02:25 AM
For sure but if the past is any indication of the future the above statement is true.

Oh, sure, yeah I was just referring to whether or not the new M5 will be faster than the CTS-V stock for stock. But yeah, in some ways the premium is warranted, in others ways it is not. The V is killer deal right now, along with the Nissan GT-R, both amazing cars for the money. As soon as I can get my V coupe back functioning to my liking I'll be one happy camper.

cbloveday
08-28-11, 08:22 AM
A friend of mine has a 2012 gray GTR and I got a chance to look it over closely. It was VERY impressive in the flesh.

Razorecko
08-28-11, 08:42 AM
A friend of mine has a 2012 gray GTR and I got a chance to look it over closely. It was VERY impressive in the flesh.

Very nice! , those '12 are a fair amount faster and better upgraded than the previous years. Thats one of the few cars I would go into if I move the V. Suprisingly though I just hit almost 38k miles on the V and it still keeps my attention nicely

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 10:04 AM
And how overpriced will it be? No doubt a nice car all-around. But for $90k? There are some better options.

Razorecko
08-28-11, 11:23 AM
And how overpriced will it be? No doubt a nice car all-around. But for $90k? There are some better options.

I agree its overpriced for a nissan. But its not overpriced for the performance. A general intake, exhaust, and a tune for a couple grand and the GTR will beat 90% of the cars on the street. Going for more upgrades past that point and than it seems to get very very expensive.

GM-4-LIFE
08-28-11, 11:36 AM
BMW are all overated. I do like the GT-R. That is one mean looking machine and fast as heck!

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 12:23 PM
I agree its overpriced for a nissan. But its not overpriced for the performance. A general intake, exhaust, and a tune for a couple grand and the GTR will beat 90% of the cars on the street. Going for more upgrades past that point and than it seems to get very very expensive.

Actually, I meant the M5. If I had $90k and change to blow, I'd probably go with the GT-R because of it's supercar status, AWD, and improved auto tranny. I haven't seen any other sub-$100k compete. There's the Viper, sure, but I'd still go with the GT-R. Of course there is the ZR1, but that's $20k more and $100k+ territory.

translux
08-28-11, 12:57 PM
New M5 will easily be north of $100k, my guess with the right options maybe as high as $120.

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 01:24 PM
I've seen a couple mags say $90k and another at $100k. Either way, a lot of friggin money.

GM-4-LIFE
08-28-11, 01:30 PM
You can easily get a ZR1 for around under $100K after all the dealer discounts and rebates. Just look over on the Corvetteforum.com and dealers are trying to move them at firesale prices. These are fully loaded ZR1s that MSRP at $120K+

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 01:44 PM
I'm talking MSRP and without options. Even then, the invoice on the GT-R is $5k under MSRP. So we're at $85k. I'm not one to choose an import. But the GT-R has AWD, auto tranny, easier to drive, and a back seat.

baabootoo
08-28-11, 02:28 PM
but the new blue M5 with blue calipers is schweeeeeet looking!

shchow
08-28-11, 02:37 PM
Comparisons in this thread are all over the place...ZR1s, GTRs, etc.
The M5 defined the category for sports SEDANS. They're meant as daily drivers and can perform capably on a track. They were never meant to be dominant on a track.
Concerning speed. Talk to the guy who spent 200 large for an Aston that's slower than our Caddy. He doesn't care.
As far as cost is concerned, it is all relative. I'm sure there are EVO owners laughing at how much we paid for our CTS-Vs.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 03:04 PM
EVO owners laughing? Maybe at how their cars look...

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 03:15 PM
All over? That's the competition! And in the same price range. I'm not bringing up a Civic.

LitiGATOR
08-28-11, 05:38 PM
Dad's car v. brother's car :)

http://youtu.be/dEaAfnMoT74?hd=1

Luna.
08-28-11, 05:55 PM
Ok...a stock CTS-V will barely beat a stock M5, yet the M5 is slow. I'm curious...what is a stock cts-v then?

e6t
08-28-11, 06:14 PM
BMW are all overated. I do like the GT-R. That is one mean looking machine and fast as heck!

if thats the case, what do you believe to be underated?

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 06:31 PM
Dad's car v. brother's car :)

http://youtu.be/dEaAfnMoT74?hd=1

That ZR1 sounded nice!

LitiGATOR
08-28-11, 06:55 PM
That ZR1 sounded nice!

It sounds beautiful.

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 07:02 PM
It sounds beautiful.

We need an exhaust that sounds like that.

translux
08-28-11, 07:09 PM
Ok...a stock CTS-V will barely beat a stock M5, yet the M5 is slow. I'm curious...what is a stock cts-v then?
Don't get me wrong I love M5's and M cars in general I have owed 5-1 E39, 2-E46 and 2 E60's.
Of the bunch I loved the E39.
The V reminds me of this car more than any other.
I'm going to go drive the new M5, its going to be built like a safe-though the E60's series was not and had appalling crash ratings-be super comfortable and certainly capable.
The difference is that the E60M5 was to built\tuned within an inch of its life whereas the V was a monster waiting to happen.
Oh and for the cost of headers on an M5 you could build a whole motor...

stabie
08-28-11, 07:12 PM
Looks like the ZR has more poo that the GT. The GT-R punches right at the horn sound, takes a short lead before the ZR hits it, and then the ZR catches and slides right past. Interesting, reading the previous posts, I had the impression the GTR would have beat the ZR.

LitiGATOR
08-28-11, 07:26 PM
Looks like the ZR has more poo that the GT. The GT-R punches right at the horn sound, takes a short lead before the ZR hits it, and then the ZR catches and slides right past. Interesting, reading the previous posts, I had the impression the GTR would have beat the ZR.

We did 5-6 runs. The GTR is slightly-modded and takes the ZR1 hard from the dig --- as you would expect. But from a move, the ZR1 takes it. Also, the ZR1 is bone stock.

M5eater
08-28-11, 08:19 PM
To get the kind of power we have in the new M5 will cost more than our cars and will void the warranty on a 40k+ powertrain, not to mention that the DSG is not up to the task of big power without some serious work. And will be as unstable and unrelaible as steel ball on slab of granite. And no amount of money and will get you close to a Car like Curtis's.

amen to that. E60 owners already sweat it when the 7speed takes random dumps on the stock engine, nevermind trying to extract some more power out of it. Also aside from the fact that M engines are typically pretty well designed within their limits, go ask any E46 or E39 owner who's shelled out 15-20K for another 150-200hp in a supercharger.. I would expect being F/I and Twin turbo the new TTV8 will be able to make some more power with more boost like any other F/I car, but move into anything serious and most of the powertrain will just take a lot of cash up front to go fast. Where as the V is backed by enormous built-in support for the largest aftermarket group in the world, in both drivetrain *and* powertrain. There's almost literally no better example of polar opposites with regard to tune ability.

smackdownCTSV
08-28-11, 08:22 PM

Well, it's from a roll. From a dig, they will be even at the quarter.

Ctsv wagon
08-28-11, 09:48 PM
I have Bimmers and love them but they are getting to expensive. I just saw a 6 series convertible with many options( not an M) sticker was 110k. The new M5 's will probably be around 120 and up

Luna.
08-28-11, 10:01 PM
amen to that. E60 owners already sweat it when the 7speed takes random dumps on the stock engine, nevermind trying to extract some more power out of it. Also aside from the fact that M engines are typically pretty well designed within their limits, go ask any E46 or E39 owner who's shelled out 15-20K for another 150-200hp in a supercharger.. I would expect being F/I and Twin turbo the new TTV8 will be able to make some more power with more boost like any other F/I car, but move into anything serious and most of the powertrain will just take a lot of cash up front to go fast. Where as the V is backed by enormous built-in support for the largest aftermarket group in the world, in both drivetrain *and* powertrain. There's almost literally no better example of polar opposites with regard to tune ability.

Yeah, I think it's the aftermarket appeal where the CTS-V holds damn-near all the cards. Further, it's one of the best buys one can possibly imagine.

Still love the M5, especially the new one though. :)

Razorecko
08-28-11, 11:00 PM
imho bmw is not very good with FI setups. Especially when it comes to heat. MB know all about and has a very good history with their V12's & Kompressors. I'll be very interested in their future setups

JimmyH
08-29-11, 12:15 AM
They should be slow. Gives you a better chance to catch up with the repo guy when you can't make the payments.

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 12:42 AM
amen to that. E60 owners already sweat it when the 7speed takes random dumps on the stock engine, nevermind trying to extract some more power out of it. Also aside from the fact that M engines are typically pretty well designed within their limits, go ask any E46 or E39 owner who's shelled out 15-20K for another 150-200hp in a supercharger.. I would expect being F/I and Twin turbo the new TTV8 will be able to make some more power with more boost like any other F/I car, but move into anything serious and most of the powertrain will just take a lot of cash up front to go fast. Where as the V is backed by enormous built-in support for the largest aftermarket group in the world, in both drivetrain *and* powertrain. There's almost literally no better example of polar opposites with regard to tune ability.Agreed. I don't really ever worry about blowing an engine as I know I can get back on the road for less than $4G. Not a bad thing...