: Found the rev limiter for the 1st time, another engine saved

deckofficer
08-27-11, 03:31 PM
The V just doesn't generate the sound one needs to shift by, too quiet inside the cabin. Until today, never romped it in any gear lower than 3rd, but today, goofus Harley rider, ape hanger handlebars and noisy exhaust pulled out in front of me on my green left turn arrow light while I was still in 2nd. I will make no secret how I feel about noisy Harleys, they are gutless pigs that don't perform worth crap, and in my T I spank them on a regular basis. Time to see if the V will spank at least 1/2 as good, so right foot went to the floor while still in 2nd, and in no time, rev limiter hit, shift to 3rd. Good spanking considering the weight of the V is 2460 lbs more than the T.

e6t
08-27-11, 03:35 PM
srsly?

you're doing it wrong!

i hit the limiter almost every time i accelerated!

deckofficer
08-27-11, 03:38 PM
srsly?

you're doing it wrong!

i hit the limiter almost every time i accelerated!

I have the T for "spirited" driving, the V is mainly for trips, no commuting, or driving in rain or snow. Had the V a bit over a month, have driven it 7 days so far.

garfin
08-27-11, 09:26 PM
The V just doesn't generate the sound one needs to shift by, too quiet inside the cabin. Until today, never romped it in any gear lower than 3rd, but today, goofus Harley rider, ape hanger handlebars and noisy exhaust pulled out in front of me on my green left turn arrow light while I was still in 2nd. I will make no secret how I feel about noisy Harleys, they are gutless pigs that don't perform worth crap, and in my T I spank them on a regular basis. Time to see if the V will spank at least 1/2 as good, so right foot went to the floor while still in 2nd, and in no time, rev limiter hit, shift to 3rd. Good spanking considering the weight of the V is 2460 lbs more than the T.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this. The level of quiet and the relative lack of visceral input from the car initially had me second guessing my decision to get a V. The first time I drove a manual V (a friend's) I must have bounced off the rev limiter 3 times (in both 1st & 2nd) within the first 5 minutes... very embarrassing!). Bottom line was that the performance of the V won me over in the end and I figured I'd just learn to live with the reduced level of sensory input that I had grown accustomed to after 12 years with my '98 Camaro SS...
With the beefed up valve train and chrome moly pushrods, the SS had a 6600 rpm redline. Matthew Harlan makes a programmable LED shift light that I installed in the driver's side dash vent.
79558http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_graphics/sophomore_year/shift_light/shift_light_on.jpg
I programmed it to go off at 6400 rpm, just to give me a little time to react and grab the next gear before fuel shutoff. This light was in your face big time and you never had to worry about hitting the rev limiter with this unit set up in your car.
The good news for me is that I found it not difficult at all to discipline myself to watch the flashing red tracer lights on the tach while accelerating. The flashing lights are not so much in your face as with the Harlan shiftlight, but during my last track day at Mosport, I found it a simple matter to learn just when to watch the tach and the flashing tracers. On the long Andretti straight, you can easily hit redline in 2nd through 4th gears if you're not watching - 'cuz listening sure ain't gonna tell ya when to shift - at least not with my hearing!
So the red tracer lights on the V start flashing at around 5500 rpms, which is a little bit more advance notice than I'm used to having or need. At full throttle I'm counting, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi etc after the flashing starts...
It's all a matter of adapting! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Elie

deckofficer
08-27-11, 09:41 PM
garfin,

Thanks for the post, just learned some more about my V. I wasn't looking at, and didn't even know of the heads up on shifting with the tracer lights on the tach. Never got to flash rpm with my limited hard pulls in 3rd, sure happened quick in 1st or 2nd, can't remember which I was in, but I think 1st. I was too busy making sure I wasn't going to turn a Harley rider into a wheel chock.