Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Looking for a SPECIFIC N* Removal Guide

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  andyoww 
#1 ·
A little about me:
I recently purchased a 1997 Deville with a bad headgasket.
This is the third Caddy I have owned.
My other two were: 1975 Sedan DeVille (sold in 1999), 1976 Coupe DeVille (sold in 1996).
I decided it was time to get another Caddy & after a little research, actually started looking for something WITH a blown headgasket (so I could pick something up cheap, then fix it myself).

While I'm not a mechanic, I was raised on a farm & have wrenched on vehicles my entire life.

Now on to the reason I'm posting.
A few months ago while deciding what I wanted to get, I ran across a post that had step-by-step pictures on how to remove the cradle, insert the time-serts, then replace the cradle.
THAT was the post that made my mind up that I was indeed going to purposely get one that had the bad gaskets.

Of course, I did not bookmark it & now I can't find it anywhere.
I have searched my history & looked & looked all over, but I am unable to find it.

I'm posting to see if anybody has a link to this post.
I can't even be sure it was on this site, but in searching, this site came up quite consistently, so I decided to join.

I am looking forward to tearing this apart & having a very nice car, for very little money.
If this goes well, I may try my luck at another one as well, but first things first.

I really appreciate the help I know will come.

See less See more
#4 ·
I posted a guide that included a word document I slapped together on how to yank it out the top..check threads I've started, overall if you're experienced in auto mechanics, the Northstar isn't any other engine, removing one is a bear of a job, good luck and keep us updated include pictures!

#5 ·
Thanks for your responses.
I apologize for not responding earlier.
I had some bad things happen here.

I have looked through the tech tips section & also at both of those posts.
Neither are the article I am looking for, but there's enough information here to give this a go.

Vincent, I saw your walkthrough.
I don't think I want to try to remove this through the top the first time.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.