Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  barge master 
#1 ·
saturday I removed the cat and replaced it with a straight peice of pipe on my 77 deville now I had to push and pull on that cat where it was connected to the Y pipe now I hear a ticking or ratteling noise only when the car is in drive and under normal acceleration it won't make any noise in nutral or park even if I rev the engin the only thing I can think of is that I caused an exahust leak at the manifold or point where the manifold connects to the Y pipe or one of the lifters craped out at just the wrong time any help would be much appreciated

#2 ·
sounds like an exhaust leak they can sound exactly like a bad lifter. and the reason it only does it in drive and accelerating is because that is the only time the engine is really under a load. usually if a lifetr is ticking it will tick all the time although some times if the lifter isn't that bad yet it might go away when it speeds up. but with what you described havening to do to put the pipe on i'd go after an exhaust leak first.

#3 ·
same thign happened with me... when we repalced the cat on my '93, with all the moving around, it ruined the gasket between exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold.... only under throttle in gear it makes the noise (when the enigne is under a load and moves) and if it is in reverse, it dosn't do it... torque shift of the FWD enigne though...

... I havn't got around to getting it replaced, dosn't bother me enough, and now it is too cold to be under the car, I may just bring it to a shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.