: Just got home from watching my wagon get built!

Squirlz
08-25-11, 04:47 PM
My wife and I had the incredible privilege of being at the Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant to watch my V wagon get assembled. We arrived at 11:30 this morning and took a three hour tour. (A three hour tour) We got to the line in time to see the Black Diamond body get married to the drive train. The throwing of rice was discouraged. Mine is actually the very first V wagon I've set eyeballs on. I really almost cried. We walked along side as they installed various bits. The big milestones were the headlights, bumper caps, wheels, Recaro seats, subwoofer in lieu of spare tire, badges, steering wheel and shifter.

Then the car goes up overhead for a while so we walked over to body assembly. Saw bare shells coming from paint. We saw a number of Opulent Blue cars. If you're a University of Michigan fan you'll want one of these with the yellow calipers.

When the wagon came back into sight the doors were installed and the window sticker applied. $72,630. This time I really cried. So the car is basically done. Our host goes over to a woman on the line and talks a little. She comes back and says "which one of you wants to sit in the passenger seat while they fire it up?" Me. So I actually sat there and watched them bring my car to life. They clamp a big diagnostic module to the steering wheel and bring all the electronics to life. They test everything and then finally....

She starts

it

up

First though, she found some appropriate music. Cranked up Bad to the Bone and turned the key. She says "This is for the new owners!" jacked up the volume and revved the engine! I was literally shaking! I am still on an adrenaline rush.

All the people in the plant were friendly and thought it was very cool that we were getting a manual trans wagon. They thought mine was about the 6th one made.

I couldn't take pictures, but our GM host shot a bunch for us! I will have them in a couple days and will post forthwith. They do a full audit on about 8 cars a day and she is going to get mine in on that. It's a very thorough test and inspection. So, now the last wait begins.

Paul

elphil
08-25-11, 04:59 PM
Squirlz, if you have kids did you get this emotional when they were born?

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 05:00 PM
That is awesome! I wish I could've done that...

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 05:07 PM
I can relate in a way. I had heard about the first V in a C&D article. When I saw 400hp and specs designed to match or beat the M5, I was hooked. For just over $50G I had to have it as I could never afford a new M5. When I saw it for the first time at the New England Auto Show in Nov '03, I stared and drooled for half an hour. My brother laughed, yet I got the last laugh when I surprised him with it when I got mine on May 27th, 2004.

Squirlz
08-25-11, 05:11 PM
Squirlz, if you have kids did you get this emotional when they were born?

I do not. That's how we can afford the car!

dcc8203
08-25-11, 05:21 PM
:ill:

That emoticon is supposed to be me, green with envy! Can't wait to see the pics.

Did you happen to see a silver M6 wagon with no sunroof going down the line? That would be mine.

Tuna
08-25-11, 05:22 PM
All the people in the plant were friendly and thought it was very cool that we were getting a manual trans wagon. They thought mine was about the 6th one made.

That's interesting. I would have thought there were a lot more manual wagons by now. MotorWeek TV had a red V Wagon with a manual and my wagon is a manual and it was built the first week of November 2010.

M5eater
08-25-11, 05:29 PM
They don't do audits on all the cars? That sort of explains a lot of the painfully obvious problems I've had.

Sounds like a memoriable event OP, glad you could be apart of it!

That's interesting. I would have thought there were a lot more manual wagons by now. MotorWeek TV had a red V Wagon with a manual and my wagon is a manual and it was built the first week of November 2010.

the 6th Black diamond manual V maybe? Who knows. .it does sound like a very low number however .

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 05:33 PM
We've got more than 6 MT Vagon owners here alone...

Squirlz
08-25-11, 05:36 PM
:ill:

That emoticon is supposed to be me, green with envy! Can't wait to see the pics.

Did you happen to see a silver M6 wagon with no sunroof going down the line? That would be mine.

Sorry I didn't. They are spaced kinda far apart due to the extra time it takes to build a V.

They don't do audits on all the cars? That sort of explains a lot of the painfully obvious problems I've had.

Sounds like a memoriable event OP, glad you could be apart of it!

the 6th Black diamond manual V maybe? Who knows. .it does sound like a very low number however .

All of them get audited, but I will get the special double-secret audit! They did mean the 6th M/T V wagon total. Maybe Motor Trend has an '11? They've only been making them since last week.

neuronbob
08-25-11, 05:36 PM
That. Was. Awesome. You are one lucky bastage and I wish I'd had the experience. That experience obviously really rocked.

elphil
08-25-11, 05:39 PM

Maybe they mean sixth one of the 2012 V-Wagons.

JimmyH
08-25-11, 05:56 PM
sweet

Squirlz
08-25-11, 06:23 PM
Maybe they mean sixth one of the 2012 V-Wagons.

Well yes, I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

nynd
08-25-11, 06:32 PM
Sweet!

GM-4-LIFE
08-25-11, 06:52 PM
That's awesome! I am so jealous! I wish I would have done it too. My dealer said I could, but I couldn't take the time off work. I will do it for sure next time if I can get time off work. Must have been a crazy rush!

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 07:08 PM
I need to see if I can just tour the factory anyway...

Squirlz
08-25-11, 07:41 PM
I need to see if I can just tour the factory anyway...

They're having a big Open House next month.

JimmyH
08-25-11, 07:48 PM
tbjs has a big open mouth...pretty much every month

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 07:53 PM
you're on the rag...pretty much every month

Squirlz
08-26-11, 12:22 PM
Another observation; I don't think this is breaking news but they are definitely putting Black Diamond on non-Vs. Saw quite a few actually.

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 12:52 PM
yeah black diamond is going on other GM vehicles besides cadillacs too

also, to clarify Squirlz meant the 6th M/T Vagon this year model, not overall

elphil
08-26-11, 05:15 PM
They should have called it Black Gold with the gold sparkles and the way it uses petroleum products.

Squirlz
08-26-11, 05:21 PM
Got some pictures:

This is where all systems are booted up and the car is started for the first time. I'm riding shotgun!

e6t
08-26-11, 05:25 PM
i have to admit, that is pretty cool.

NorCalCTS
08-26-11, 06:40 PM
Now that's the way to (re)build the Cadillac reputation. Start with an awesome car, garner nearly unanimous rave reviews from the press and reach out to customers so they can experience the thrill when their baby comes to life. Way to go! Seems like including some video of a new owner in the passenger seat when their car is fired up would make for an excellent commercial.

EuroTrash
08-26-11, 11:38 PM
So how does one go about doing something like this? And how much time off was required (i assume just a single day?)

Squirlz
08-27-11, 08:58 AM
So how does one go about doing something like this? And how much time off was required (i assume just a single day?)

Just one day, and you'll have about a weeks notice. I have a contact name and phone number if you'd like to PM me.

js615
08-29-11, 11:05 AM
How cool is that? Only a real car guy (or gal...) could appreciate seeing thier car being born...

Squirlz
08-29-11, 03:15 PM
How cool is that? Only a real car guy (or gal...) could appreciate seeing thier car being born...

And here we are. Two of the biggest car geeks you'll meet!

buddyg
08-29-11, 05:05 PM
That is totally awesome! Do they charge for this or you just have to ask the dealer or what?

Squirlz
08-29-11, 06:19 PM
That is totally awesome! Do they charge for this or you just have to ask the dealer or what?

No charge. I just got a name of a GM contact to call to set it up. Your dealer should be able to do it.

M5eater
08-29-11, 07:26 PM
No charge. I just got a name of a GM contact to call to set it up. Your dealer should be able to do it.

Free?? So, where do I sign the officially crazy awesome paperwork , because this just qualified for it.

dvandentop
08-29-11, 10:15 PM
bad ass

thebigjimsho
08-30-11, 12:05 AM
Indeed.

VChick
08-31-11, 03:00 PM
No paperwork was need.
One of the great things is the plant is just 6 miles from own house, so buying this car is actually supporting our local economy :rolleyes:

Hi guys. I'm Squirlz wife; as big a car geek as any of you guys.

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 03:52 PM
Welcome! We need moar wimmenz on these forums...

N3716E
08-31-11, 04:09 PM
Mine is scheduled to be built next week. My dealer indicates that no such program exists any more. Who did you contact and how can I/we get ahold of them? I am ready to go to Lansing!

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-31-11, 07:38 PM
How did you get the tour? I live in MI so I would like to do this.

JimmyH
08-31-11, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the forums VChick. Glad you finally got your registration problems fixed. But I must warn you, every single time a significant other comes on this forum, it ends badly. Please buck the trend :D

Squirlz
08-31-11, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the forums VChick. Glad you finally got your registration problems fixed. But I must warn you, every single time a significant other comes on this forum, it ends badly. Please buck the trend :D

Happily she is not the typical wife. She outruns me on the track and I'm okay with it!

VChick
08-31-11, 09:03 PM
Trend bucked, I guarantee!

We met through a MINI Cooper forum. We both have the same year, color and model car (Electric Blue '05 MINI Cooper S) that we both bought new, and also both highly modified, BEFORE we ever knew each other. I also have a '62 Ford Falcon Wagon and so this V Wagon will be mostly be for Squirlz to drive and me to ride in.

thebigjimsho
08-31-11, 11:29 PM
Amsome!

Squirlz
09-01-11, 01:17 PM
Car is at the dealer. We're getting it this afternoon!!

RippyPartsDept
09-01-11, 01:21 PM
sweet!

M5eater
09-01-11, 01:28 PM
Car is at the dealer. We're getting it this afternoon!!
soo... did you have to pay destination charge or... ;)