: I had the most fabulous rush hour yesterday. (I made a discovery about the car)

neuronbob
08-25-11, 12:30 PM
So there was a major accident on I-77 north into Cleveland yesterday morning and the traffic was backed up onto I-480 west, a distance of over five miles. Bored to tears and not wanting to listen to the radio, I opened the windows and the sunroof for clean air. As I was moving my hand from the (auto) shifter to the sunroof, I accidentally nudged the shifter forward. Because the transmission was already in Sport mode, this caused the gear indicator on the dash to light up. I had activated Manual mode, which I've only rarely done since I purchased my car 2 1/2 years ago.

This led to some experimentation (OK, I was bored!). I was able to use first the shifter, then the steering wheel paddles to control my speed with engine braking, just like I would with a manual transmission.

That's not why I mention this, however, since we already know about the manual mode to the automatic transmission, and I did as well, just didn't use it. I mention it because of the glorious engine and exhaust sounds that accompany manual mode. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to pull out my video camera to record it. This is the first time since I've owned my car that I genuinely wish I'd opted for the manual. I could not at all tire of that wonderful V8 burble and I don't know if it was my imagination, but the exhaust sounded a little louder than usual (this is good). The exhaust was more crackly, too. I guess I'd call the entire sound "cracktastic". In the rare times that speed increased significantly, hearing the supercharger spool up made the entire experience that much better. The sound led to a few thumbs-ups from a few other motorists who were clearly enthusiasts. The experience is SO different from even using Sport mode, which is what I use most of the time, in that the shift points feel so low, even with a tune.

So what was it like to use the manual mode? The 1-2 shift is hard and causes the car to lurch a little at low speed, less so when accelerating briskly or aggressively. Other than the 1-2 shift, though, the shifts are smooth and crisp, and not very sluggish at all. In addition, I could remain in first gear for as long as I wanted rather than the extremely quick 1-2 shift that is present in Sport mode. The manual mode is no 6MT or PDK, but I've experienced several other cars with a manual mode to the automatic and their shifts were MUCH slower, so much so that you have to plan 3k rpm shy or a shift point. In this one, you have to plan about 1000-1500 rpm prior to the shift. It's really not bad at all and I will certainly be making more use of it.

The bottom line is that I had the most entertaining slow rush hour I've ever had in this car. If you were on I-77 yesterday and saw a silver V with a youngish-looking guy, grinning insanely every time he revved the engine up, that was me. It made my entire day. :)

I love this car!

M5eater
08-25-11, 12:59 PM
I agree, there's just something about the manual mode that livens up the experience. FYI, Manual mode is also acessable from regular Drive via the shifter paddles. IIRC though it will take itself back out if you come to a stop or do not operate the paddles after a legnth of time.

TheSpungos
08-25-11, 02:53 PM
I agree, there's just something about the manual mode that livens up the experience. FYI, Manual mode is also acessable from regular Drive via the shifter paddles. IIRC though it will take itself back out if you come to a stop or do not operate the paddles after a legnth of time.

I thought that was new for the 2011's? My 2010 won't respond to any inputs from the paddles unless it's in sport mode. Not really an issue, since it's in sport mode 99% of the time anyway :)

I too love the manual mode, and it makes me wish I'd bought a 6MT EXCEPT for the exact situation you described - sitting/crawling in rush hour traffic everyday trying to get to & from work is much better with the auto.

M5eater
08-25-11, 03:42 PM
I thought that was new for the 2011's? My 2010 won't respond to any inputs from the paddles unless it's in sport mode. Not really an issue, since it's in sport mode 99% of the time anyway :)

I too love the manual mode, and it makes me wish I'd bought a 6MT EXCEPT for the exact situation you described - sitting/crawling in rush hour traffic everyday trying to get to & from work is much better with the auto.

The V was mostly an impulse buy for me, it was on the show-room floor. I had to have it, being an Auto didn't bother me a lot as I was used to the 6L80E in the G8 GT I had before but I will admit, I miss rowing gears sometimes, just not enough that it bothers me or I'm considering trading in for a 6speed. lets face it, performance slush-boxes today hardly deserve the name anymore. The only infuriating thing on the 90E is the manual mode is still pretty delayed, but the sport auto algorithms are pretty good for spirited dirving in guessing lift-off points and holding gears anyway, and the delay can be tuned out a bit too, so it's really a non-issue for me.

js615
08-25-11, 03:48 PM
I just wish the elapsed time between when I press the shift button on the steering wheel and the actual shift wasn't so long. YMMV, but in my '09 it there is a very noticable lag that is very inconsistent in terms of lengh of time; however, seat of the pants feels like at least a second passes.

I wonder if a tune could shorten the lag time - I've read many posts about improving shift points and such, but nothing of manual mode shift lag.

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I chose the auto at the Cadillac Driving Lab at Monticello in Nov '08. I liked everything except for the brutally slow upshifts. I'd still buy the manual regardless...

HeavyH20
08-25-11, 06:47 PM
It is kind of interesting to note, but at a performance driving school, the instructor referred to those driving an automatic as "passengers with a steering wheel", if I recall correctly. There is no substitute for practiced heel and toe to get a car out of an apex correctly :)

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I need new pedals. But I like the look of the stock ones and the pedals that looked so good in my V1 would look outclassed in the V2...

cbloveday
08-25-11, 07:47 PM
Validated

neuronbob
08-26-11, 12:07 AM

This is only available in the 2011+ Vs. This is not present in 2009-2010.

1st part of your quote is correct. I agree with the second part, as well. I bought an automatic for the very unlikely event that my wife has to drive the car. She has never sat in the driver's seat once in the 2 1/2 years I've had this car, so I might as well have bought a 6MT. This automatic, especially tuned, is not much of a penalty.

I wonder if a tune could shorten the lag time - I've read many posts about improving shift points and such, but nothing of manual mode shift lag.

I think this is the case. Jesse?

Yeah, I chose the auto at the Cadillac Driving Lab at Monticello in Nov '08. I liked everything except for the brutally slow upshifts. I'd still buy the manual regardless...

Of course you would. :) j/k

It is kind of interesting to note, but my at a performance driving school, the instructor referred to those driving an automatic as "passengers with a steering wheel", if I recall correctly. There is no substitute for practiced heel and toe to get a car out of an apex correctly :)

True, but see my reason for buying an automatic above. In addition, driving daily in heavy traffic, I'd get tired of shifting as my only option. Besides, I have my S2000 in which to satisfy my need to shift manually.

Validated

Thank you kindly. I'm sure YOUR car is even more beastly with the manual mode than mine. I think I'd be in manual mode more frequently if I had your beast, I mean, car. :thumbsup:

M5eater
08-26-11, 07:25 AM
This is only available in the 2011+ Vs. This is not present in 2009-2010.

I looked at this closely yesterday, you have ~ a 5 second window before it kicks you out of manual mode while in drive. I'm not sure what it's there for, unless of course you find yourself next to a E63 or F10 M5 suddenly and don't have time to react to put her in sport mode :D

translux
08-26-11, 01:20 PM
Great post
I got your crackle right here ;)

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/trans_lux/cars/cts-v/th_V.jpg (http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/trans_lux/cars/cts-v/?action=view&current=V.mp4)

neuronbob
08-26-11, 02:16 PM
^^^^^^^
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "f*** missed 3rd!" Great video with lots of backfiring. Good stuff. Need to do the automatic tranny version of that video.

And dangit, I should have bought a 6MT. :)

translux
08-26-11, 04:35 PM
^^^^^^^
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "f*** missed 3rd!" Great video with lots of backfiring. Good stuff. Need to do the automatic tranny version of that video.

And dangit, I should have bought a 6MT. :)

Thanks, I have a much better microphone that I'm going to try and capture this again.
As far as an automatic sounds....

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/trans_lux/cars/cts-v/th_Untitled.jpg (http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/trans_lux/cars/cts-v/?action=view&current=Untitled.mp4)

neuronbob
08-27-11, 07:23 PM
^^^^^^
That's an automatic?

And it sounds absolutely SICK. :drool:

550HP STSV
08-27-11, 10:54 PM
i may or may not have given you the finger before.

GizmoQ
08-28-11, 12:45 AM
^^^^^ Where'd he come from??

kirks5oh
08-28-11, 01:22 AM
rofl. back when i was in grad school i worked a summer in cleveland (my parents live in brecksville). the I-77 commute was a pain. i know exactly where you're talking about.

translux
08-28-11, 04:07 AM
^^^^^^
That's an automatic?

And it sounds absolutely SICK. :drool:

Yep auto and yes it's just sounds amazing!!!

neuronbob
08-28-11, 09:16 AM
i may or may not have given you the finger before.

:rofl: I hope not! Though I'm sure you wouldn't be the first. Lotsa jealous folken out there, too.

rofl. back when i was in grad school i worked a summer in cleveland (my parents live in brecksville). the I-77 commute was a pain. i know exactly where you're talking about.

It is more of a pain than when you were here because the I-90 bridge is shutting down to be replaced. ugh. As much as I want a 6MT V, shifting to accelerate to 15 mph all morning long in rush hour every day would simply be a fail.