: So I uhh... added another Domestic to the Garage...

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 05:43 AM
http://home.satx.rr.com/inebaysite/K1501.JPG

Been feelin bad about A. not having a domestic for awhile, and B. I really wanted a 4X4 vehicle so I could join my friend on some of his fun when he goes out in his new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. So I stumbled upon this guy. Bought it from the same guy who almost sold me a Grand Cherokee, and who also sold my friend his Wrangler (this was his personal truck).

Cool story behind it too. The guy who originally owned it bought it AT the car show, and then the guy I bought it from was the second owner. Has the original sticker, maintenance records, all the manuals. Just a bunch of cool history on the car.

I paid 2k for it, which is a bit above market value, but it was truly a rare find. Only has 87k miles TOTAL, interior is near perfect. At this point all I really need to do to it is repair some rust that has eaten through the bottom of the tailgate, replace the sun damaged dash pad, and replace the Gauge trim which was damaged when someone stole an aftermarket radio out of it.

Has the 305cid motor (gas guzzler), all the power options including the rear window, Air Conditioning and even cruise control. Im getting a kick out of it.

c5 rv
10-24-04, 09:12 AM
Very nice K5 Blazer! My brother and dad had a mid-80s K5 with a 350 and my dad drove it for years. The only real trouble with it was the power rear window. When my dad at last wanted to sell it a couple years ago, I considered buying it but didn't have the time to drive it back from the west coast.

RBraczyk
10-24-04, 12:36 PM
Hehe, my dad has a rubicon too. Now the 350 is the true gas guzzler.

Elvis
10-24-04, 01:14 PM
305? Was GM still making a 307 then? I thought the 4x4 primarily had the 350 in it. I'm pleading ignorance here, just curious.

A couple of years ago my father had a Sierra from about the same year. It was a piece of crap with 110,000 (possibly 210,000?) on it. He only drove it once a month but the guy he sold it to still drives it daily.

I loved driving that thing just as something to screw around with.

Yours looks like even more fun.

RBraczyk
10-24-04, 01:28 PM
the 305 just has smaller heads, olds made the 307.

Elvis
10-24-04, 01:36 PM
the 305 just has smaller heads, olds made the 307.

Gotcha. Didn't know that about the 307. I had a couple.

RealmCenter
10-24-04, 02:19 PM
A 305 is de-stroked, otherwise same as 350

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 02:25 PM
Very nice K5 Blazer! My brother and dad had a mid-80s K5 with a 350 and my dad drove it for years. The only real trouble with it was the power rear window. When my dad at last wanted to sell it a couple years ago, I considered buying it but didn't have the time to drive it back from the west coast.

Its funny you mention that rear Window. I had trouble with it for the first time last night. Not really anything mechanically wrong per-se, but the weatherstripping has turned to crap by now, and when I went to put the window back up, it was getting stuck. So after a moment of certain pant-crapping, I looked and realized the strip had broken clean-off on the right of the track, and so the Window was binding on it and bunching it up. Easy fix when I have time to get to it.

The cool thing is there is this Catalog for old truck enthusiasts of which he gave me a couple of old issues called LMC Truck. They have EVERY PART IMAGINABLE for these things, down to the fenders, doors, hood, weather strip and even brand new dashpads, both OE and 3rd party stuff.

I thought this was neat piece of history too... the sticker price of this one when it was new, was 18,950.00. I believe the EPA portion said 11/17, im not entirely sure.

Night Wolf
10-24-04, 02:27 PM
Wow!

I have a thing for those K5's... the interriors weren't very nice.. but who cares... they are a solid truck with a solid drivetrain... very fun to 4x4...

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 02:31 PM
Wow!

I have a thing for those K5's... the interriors weren't very nice.. but who cares... they are a solid truck with a solid drivetrain... very fun to 4x4...

Yea, interior is somewhat bland youre right. I do know the Jeepers on the Jeep forum I visit seem to praise these old Ford and Chevy drivelines, they are supposedly practically bulletproof, thing still shifts in and out of 4wd just fine and without any ruckus. I forgot to mention the last guy threw twin pipes on it too, sounds like a damn hog coming down the street. Not something I would have done myself, but its pretty cool.

D148L0
10-24-04, 02:34 PM
PlayDrv, you are alive!!!!
good to read from you again, man...

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 02:41 PM
PlayDrv, you are alive!!!!
good to read from you again, man...

Hehe... sorry about that guys, trust me I frequent a few forums, both new and old and I havent had time to go to ANY of them lately (this was the first one I came back too though :) ).

This new job has me all kinds of tied up and running constantly, I cant wait til the day I have my little car lot or whatever and in business for myself, for now I have to adhere to this rat race.

Ralph
10-24-04, 03:53 PM
Very nice Ian. Everyone I see here are all rusted out. :rolleyes2

My Dad's minty 1978 Chev truck has the 350 and is a total gas pig. His 305 1979 Nova is terrific on gas.

Glad you are back, you missed a lot of nice Natty pics so now I'm back to recycling some older ones. :tisk:

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 04:09 PM
Very nice Ian. Everyone I see here are all rusted out. :rolleyes2

My Dad's minty 1978 Chev truck has the 350 and is a total gas pig. His 305 1979 Nova is terrific on gas.

Glad you are back, you missed a lot of nice Natty pics so now I'm back to recycling some older ones. :tisk:

You DO know she has her own latenight syndicated show now right? Its called SheSpies and man does she look gorgeous in it. Not quite a role I would have pictured her in with her recent big screen success though, it seems like nothing more than a re-hash of V.I.P, but nonetheless Natty is gorgeous in it. ;)

Ralph
10-24-04, 05:59 PM
You DO know she has her own latenight syndicated show now right? Its called SheSpies and man does she look gorgeous in it. Not quite a role I would have pictured her in with her recent big screen success though, it seems like nothing more than a re-hash of V.I.P, but nonetheless Natty is gorgeous in it. ;)

Cancelled after 2 years! :crying:

Do you mention if you still have the BMW, or did your brother get it? Quite a drastic change going from Beamer to gas pig. :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
10-24-04, 06:53 PM
Oh damn! They must have just started playing it down here in rerun-syndication.

No I still have the bimmer, but I actually probably will be selling it to my brother eventually. I may drive the truck, or some other cheap vehicle at that point.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-24-04, 09:47 PM
Good find , on that rear window watcht he track and weatherstripping very carefully , one day the weatherstripping will catch the window and breaka track causeing it to spin in the rear door makeing one hell of a mess (doesnt break the window tho)...

Do yourself a favor and pull the panel out of that tailgate and rebuild everything in there ...

Do yourself another favor and POP THAT TOP OFF!!! it kicks ass to go wheeling with that top off of it , itll take 2 guys to do it one needs to kind stand up in there with his back against the roof and powerlift it while the other guy stays ont he ground as you walk the top to him , then as he holds it you squirm you way down with your end , i think its 8 bolts on each side and 8 around where it meets the cab

davesdeville
10-25-04, 03:19 AM
Wow, a BMW and a Blazer. That's a rare combo of vehicles.

Playdrv4me
10-25-04, 04:08 AM
Good find , on that rear window watcht he track and weatherstripping very carefully , one day the weatherstripping will catch the window and breaka track causeing it to spin in the rear door makeing one hell of a mess (doesnt break the window tho)...

Do yourself a favor and pull the panel out of that tailgate and rebuild everything in there ...

Do yourself another favor and POP THAT TOP OFF!!! it kicks ass to go wheeling with that top off of it , itll take 2 guys to do it one needs to kind stand up in there with his back against the roof and powerlift it while the other guy stays ont he ground as you walk the top to him , then as he holds it you squirm you way down with your end , i think its 8 bolts on each side and 8 around where it meets the cab

Heh... no kidding about that rear gate, that thing must have been all kinds of cool in its heyday... but its one of those things you look at now and your like "uhh... whose smart idea was it to have to roll the window down to open the gate". Professional Grade Engineering?

Seriously though, that damn gate is gonna be the biggest pain of the whole thing, it is COMPLETELY rusted through at the bottom, I mean the poor electrical cable for the Window is dangling out the bottom. Really all it needs is to be cut, and then a piece of steel welded in its place and painted. I was amazed that the hood has not developed severe oxidation being a southeast car, original paint too. The cowl however is a different story, its already been repainted once, and the clearcoat from that repaint is coming up too.

Oh yea... one more thing... Does anyone know how to force the hood open if the cable breaks? My friend told me the same happened to his S10 Blazer and he used to have to stick a screwdriver up in it to force the cable from the grille side.

Anyway... yes Dave, BMW and Blazer... odd combo indeed, but really quite complimentary in that the BMW is speedy and fun, and the Blazer is tough and ready to romp off the beaten path.

More pic-ies...

http://home.satx.rr.com/inebaysite/Bothfront.JPG
Bimmer makes a cameo.
http://home.satx.rr.com/inebaysite/Rear.JPG
You can see the rust here, look closely and you'll see the wire.
http://home.satx.rr.com/inebaysite/RearL.JPG

RBraczyk
10-25-04, 07:24 AM
If your cable gets stretched out, yank the release really hard, and slam the door and that should pop the hood up so you can undo the safety lock.