: Black Obsidian, the resurrection

jkasp22
08-24-11, 12:07 PM
Yes I was forewarned before I got the car and no it didn't really bother me until I drove it for a few months and got better at detailing the exterior...now it seems a bit ridiculous to me that my paint looks like a mirror while the console looks like I scrubbed it with a brick.

I've read the threads on this and tried the GM swirl polish remover applied with Griot's speed shine cloth, polished in until almost dry and buffed with a clean speed shine cloth, and noticed very little difference between the section I treated and the rest of the console after 3 rounds. This might be that the scratches are too deep (I got the car with 30k+ miles on it) or maybe it's the amount of polish or pressue I used.

Can someone who has cracked the code on polishing scratches out of this maintenance nightmare material please for the love of merciful Christ post a detailed and foolproof method on how to do it, including what cloths used to apply and remove...I took great interest in Razorecko's mention of CD scratch remover followed up with 2 types of Menzerna polish, but I wasn't smart enough to figure out what type of polishes he was talking about by looking at the Menzerna USA product line. And even if I was...the chances of messing it up by using the wrong application or buffing method or material without any further information seem a bit too great considering how delicate the trim is.

Anyone?

JFJr
08-24-11, 12:26 PM
Have you tried Liquid Glass? I've used it for decades to handle minor scratches and polish the exterior paint. I'll try it on a small section of the plastic trim.

cdog533
08-24-11, 12:35 PM
I couldn't get polish (Optimum Polish or Mezerna Polish) to do anything but make it milky. I've had the best luck with Meguirs Plastx polish.

You need to shine a bright flashlight on it when working on it, as it swirls like crazy. It's odd stuff.

samgar
08-24-11, 06:59 PM
I used a Dupont product called FINESSE with a damp microfiber cloth and had great success. I purchased my 2011 V coupe new and it had deep scratches on the black obsidian between the back seats.

Good luck as it worked very well for me.

Sam

js615
08-24-11, 07:17 PM
I'm going to try a few coats of carnuba to see if it helps keep the minor scratching at bay...

embassured
08-24-11, 08:18 PM
Meguiars Ultimate Compound (available at Walmart) used along with an old tee-shirt does the trick for me. Takes minor scratches off with ease. Deeper scratches require more time and elbow work.

Good luck,
Eric

cbloveday
08-24-11, 08:29 PM
Razorecko posted a solution. Try a search for his post or maybe he will chime in.

Razorecko
08-26-11, 08:12 AM
Hey guys sorry for the delay, I should get some more info and pics on what I did to make my black center console look good again. Most likely by the end of the weekend so I can see if there is any other hard & abrasive polish I can use instead of "CD scratch remover" ,lol

Cub Cadet
08-26-11, 09:15 AM
3M imperial hand glaze makes it look better... it fills in the scratches/swirls. Then, you can put a wax over it to deepen the shine. For those that have black vehicles, this will also work for you on the exterior... no more swirls. I have sworn by this as a "swirl hider" for years since all I have had are black cars.

mother
08-26-11, 09:56 AM
So, how do people clean the trim to minimize scratching? Swiffer duster? I'm terrified to go near it with a microfiber cloth...

Razorecko
08-26-11, 09:59 AM
3M imperial hand glaze makes it look better... it fills in the scratches/swirls. Then, you can put a wax over it to deepen the shine. For those that have black vehicles, this will also work for you on the exterior... no more swirls. I have sworn by this as a "swirl hider" for years since all I have had are black cars.

See I'm actually taking about swirl removing. As in permenantly, I did my 'tune' audio knob and left the volume one alone. After a while the volume ones scratches reappear after the filler wears away but the other one is still buttery smooth. This way we wont have to use the glaze/gm polish every other day

Tom_E
08-26-11, 12:18 PM
When I bought my V Coupe and took it to the shop for the clear bra, I had the installer cut and install the clear protection over all the console, and viola; no scratches to date. And like the outside, you have to look real hard to even know it's on.

cvettr/cts-v
08-26-11, 05:01 PM
When I bought my V Coupe and took it to the shop for the clear bra, I had the installer cut and install the clear protection over all the console, and viola; no scratches to date. And like the outside, you have to look real hard to even know it's on.

That's a great idea.

js615
08-29-11, 10:11 AM
Clear bra in the interior??? Well that just make too much sense... Sadly, I think the rest of us are stuck with polishing once a month - or somehow learning to deal with our OCD car detailing behaviors.

jkasp22
09-28-11, 05:46 PM
For the record, the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound applied with a cotton t-shirt just worked wonders on my trim (thanks embassured). Used a California Duster to clean dust off, and then my first attempt using moderate to heavy pressure in small circles provided an 80% solution to removing scratches. I suspect a few more rounds will continue to provide results...and will find out later, since right now I have other things to clean, like the actual car

CTSVKINGWAGON
09-30-11, 10:00 PM
So, how do people clean the trim to minimize scratching? Swiffer duster? I'm terrified to go near it with a microfiber cloth...

Lemon pledge is what is recommended on the plastic trim in my yukon... Might want to try this on your v