: What are the quietest, best performing, most reliable tires for 96' FWB?

hadesnuggz
08-24-11, 09:58 AM
In the market for new tires, and I was looking at the kuhmo solus and also the kuhmo roadventure apt...

What tires are you guys using? And what would be a good choice?

(Its Durrk Johnson by the way, I got locked out of my account for some reason. haha)

drmenard
08-24-11, 03:45 PM
Are you looking for white walls? There are not many WW at a low price.. I went to pep boys and got some Hankook for less than a $100 each, but they are for sure not the quietest... Then , as far as I can see you go right to $200 plus a tire for some coker or those custom add on white walls..If you don't want WW there are plenty to choose from..

outsider
08-24-11, 04:15 PM
A place near me...Tire Warehouse I think it's called...sells the Runway Enduros for $99.00 each in our size (235/75/15)

hadesnuggz
08-24-11, 04:37 PM
Nope. Don't want whitewalls. Just want some really nice, comfy, quiet, tires with good performance, and decent in snow. 235/70/15

jayoldschool
08-24-11, 06:59 PM
Check out the reviews at tirerack.com. You should be able to find what you are looking for.

hadesnuggz
08-24-11, 07:29 PM
Well, I did that, Im just trying to see what you other guys with 94-96 FWBs are using and what youve had experiences with I guess?

jayoldschool
08-24-11, 09:32 PM
Just about everyone here who runs stock size tires uses whitewalls.

cadillac kevin
08-24-11, 09:35 PM
I have goodyear wranglers on my caddy. they performed pretty good in snow (but then again, they are truck tires). they were quiet...for truck tires. I couldnt hear them that much if I had the radio off (they do not sound like off road tires), and with the radio on, noise was a total non issue. I did not have any issues with them squealing or squeaking either and traction was pretty good in wet and dry conditions. I can not vouch for their long term durability, but they came with a 50k mile warranty. currently they only have about 2500 miles on them.

MoistCabbage
08-25-11, 12:46 AM
Well, I did that, Im just trying to see what you other guys with 94-96 FWBs are using and what youve had experiences with I guess?

The people at tirerack do nothing but sell wheels and tires all day long. They get feedback from more customers nation wide, in one day, than there are members of this forum. I would trust their opinion. Give them a call, tell them your priorities, and they will ship you exactly what you want. Just don't go with any off brand manufacturers.

Stingroo
08-25-11, 01:19 AM
^ Sound advice right there. Tire Rack's customer service is great.

However, IMO, these cars don't look right without a whitewall of some sort. Just entirely too much sidewall. I regret turning my ww's in on my wagon, 225/75 of blackness is just too much.

Cadillacboy
08-25-11, 03:41 PM
We switched to Marshall 225/ 70 / 15 , whitewalls , looks pretty same as Goodyears . These tires perform well but when doing sharp turns , you hear tire squeaks .

hadesnuggz
08-25-11, 11:32 PM
Just about everyone here who runs stock size tires uses whitewalls.

really? Im not sure that's true... alot of guys on here have 96's that are performance styled. i dont want whitewalls.

hadesnuggz
08-25-11, 11:34 PM
I just dont like whitewalls. And I dont think they would look right on my car.

turbojimmy
08-26-11, 07:23 AM
I just dont like whitewalls. And I dont think they would look right on my car.

IMO, there's just too much rubber between the road and the rim, which is why I'm toying with the idea of a bigger rim/tire package. The white wall breaks that up a bit. Check out the tire research on Tire Rack. No need to call them. When you select a tire or tires, you can also get user ratings. I've found them to be very accurate. That being said, I got the cheapest white walls I could find for my '96 and didn't do any research. I wound up with Dunlops which were inexpensive and quiet.

My '94 has Cooper Classic IIs on the back and Yokohamas on the front. Both white walls. The Yokohamas make a lot of noise, almost like truck tires. I can't hear the Coopers, but they're also pretty far back there.

csbuckn
08-26-11, 10:55 AM
How you been Durk? You are gonna have to decide on what you want the most because quiet, performance, good in snow and reliable just dont go good together. I've been selling and installing tires for a little less then a year and the Michelin tires are the best that we sell. They dont make many performance tires but the X-Radials will give you quiet and reliability, 80K warranty(though no tire last as long as the warranty). They also make a Michelin Pilot Exalto, a directional performance tire with an H speed rating(I think) that might come in the size you need. A good all season tire would be the Goodyear Assurance line, great all season but not as performance minded as I think it should be. The Khumo Solus tire you are thinking about wont be as good on a heavy car, they will probably burn up pretty fast so check the load rating on them. All this is just my personal opinion as I dont really know the consumer ratings on any of these tires but I see a lot of tires come in the shop that have avoidable issues. Khumos and BFGoodrich are at the bottom of my list. Again, IMO

hadesnuggz
08-27-11, 02:14 PM
Ahh thanks guys. yeah i want to urade to 17s but i just dont have enough money at the moment and my Lemans Sr are getting bald as we speak. ha

And whats up csbuckn?> Ive been well. How are you man? My 96 has a few problems that icant really aford to fix, but i neeeeeed tires. haha

And the reason I dont think whitewalls would look good on my car is because tghere is just wayy too much black and chrome, and I have the hanging chrome exhaust tips. My car looks slitghtly sporty. haha not really. Even though I got my murder black tint taken off. ha

Ugh i wish i could upgrade to 17's at least. :/

So Kuhmos arent that great ehh? Hmm.. So you think Michelin is the best ehh? I just checke dth esite and they dont have anything in 235/70/15 :(

turbojimmy
08-27-11, 02:21 PM
I was wrong about my '96. I had Firestone FR380s on it. They were cheap, wore well and were quiet. You can turn the white walls inside if you prefer.

Stingroo
08-27-11, 03:10 PM
I've heard good reviews of the FR380.

hadesnuggz
08-27-11, 03:40 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=37SR5FHI500RWL

I was thinking of getting these Firestone Indy 500. They look pretty cool. And they have great reviews. Just a few people talked about road noise at high speeds. What do you guys think? i want em. My brother was going to get these for his roadmaster aswell.

Stingroo
08-27-11, 04:50 PM
I hear they're a great tire, but they don't scream "Cadillac" to me.

Bro-Ham
08-27-11, 05:09 PM
Hi, Here is a website that carries several tires for your car: http://www.tires-easy.com/

I've used Firestone FR380 tires on my 79 Cad, they didn't last long before they started to "cup" despite being rotated and inflated properly.

I have Kumho tires on my 79 Cad currently, they are very quiet and seem to wear well. I had Bridgestone Insignia before the Kuhmo, they were great.

Every set of Goodyear tires I've ever had cupped within the first 10k miles. I won't buy them again.

Who is going to try the Vogues? I suppose it will be me next time I put new tires on. :)

Stingroo
08-27-11, 05:53 PM
Vogue = Goodyear.

Just FYI.

hadesnuggz
08-28-11, 02:29 AM
I dont want my car to scream cadillac. I dont want people to know know what it is. I dont even have my lables on the back anymore. All it says is Brougham. and My cadillac symbol doesnt even have the crest on it in back.. I dont have a northstar like the others, I actually dont really want my car to be recognized as a cadillac, cause in a way, its not like the other caddies of that era. Yes, I love caddies, but I just want my car to be what it is... my car. haha Ive even had people ask what kind of car mine is. haha

If I had th emoney, it would look so much different than what it looks like now. I would tak eoff alot of the weight, add sport rims, tires, add a rear spolier, , repaint like a metallic firemist black, add a light tint to the windows, and add a turbo to my V8 along with necessary engine tuning which woul dbe crazyy. haha. :)

(I know most of you guys prolly cringe reading that, but I would love to turn my big tank into a big sporty tank that is unrecognizable... Like the batmobile. haha)

MoistCabbage
08-28-11, 02:35 AM
if i had th emoney, it would look so much different than what it looks like now. I would tak eoff alot of the weight, add sport rims, tires, add a rear spolier,

Oh my dear sweet Jesus NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:ack::ack::ack::ack::ack:

Why buy a Fleetwood and try to turn it into a 16 year olds Civic???

hadesnuggz
08-28-11, 02:54 AM
Cause it would smoke a civic in a second knowing I have 330lbs of torque behind me? lol

It wouldnt be a crazy spoiller, something like the impalas have, just to make it look sportier, not like Im gonna put wings on the thing... and when i say take of fthe weight, not really sure how that would work so you can scratch that. hahah But you do know what a 96FWB is right? It has a huge engine bay, awesome capabilities, and can be turned into a beast if done right. Have you ever seen 96Fleetwoods old 96'? Beautiful fuggin' caddy. The whol ereason why I bought mine. And his was amazing.

You said making a 96FWB better by improving performance and handling is turning it into a "civic." That just doesnt make sense. I understand what yer gettin at, but theyre two entirely different cars. Believe me I have had a "real cadillac." with whitewalls, all stock. (1980 Coupe Deville) Improving my current cars overall performance and style is something totally different.

Aron9000
08-28-11, 06:01 AM
^ Leave the rear spoiler off of it. As far as appearance mods, I'm a leave it stock sort of guy. There's only about 3 appearance things I actually like on the 93-96 bodystyle.

1. No vinyl top. Total PITA to remove and make it look right if you have a Brougham package car. Thus why I bought a base model car.
2. Tasteful rims, 20" at the very largest. And even then I'm not a huge fan of 20's unless its done right.
3. Painting all the gray trim on the rocker panels body color. Stuff tends to fade after a while, it looks good body color.

As far as tires, for the love of god please put some whitewalls on it if you are sticking to the 15" stock wheel. They look like crap without them.

As far as Kuhumo whitewalls, they are a cheap tire. They were great for the first 10-15k miles I had them on my old 91. After that they got to be noisy as hell, and developed a vibration at highway speeds. I've heard good things about the Hankook tires, despite them being Chinese. A buddy of mine(guy I bought my 95 off of) who has owned like 8 or 10 of these cars swears by them, says he's bought 3 different sets of those Hankook whitewalls.

If you are dead set on blackwalls, I have a set of correct stock size 235/70/R15 Michelin LTX tires. They were brand new when I bought my 95, have probably less than 5k miles on them. I'm talking like 95% tread. Tires are dead smooth at highway speeds, very quiet, I'm sure they'd last another 50k miles at least. They're yours for $100 plus shipping if you want them. These things are $150 a piece on tire rack new. Not sure where you live though, but tire rack shipping has been around $60 each time I've purchased from them.

csbuckn
08-28-11, 10:47 AM
What about trying to find some impala rims that already have tires on them?

Stingroo
08-28-11, 10:52 AM
^ I'll take yours off your hands :p

csbuckn
08-28-11, 11:34 AM
Find me another setup, with performance tires, and its a deal. I would sell them though.

Stingroo
08-28-11, 11:56 AM
If only it were that easy. lol

turbojimmy
08-28-11, 02:07 PM
^ Leave the rear spoiler off of it. As far as appearance mods, I'm a leave it stock sort of guy. There's only about 3 appearance things I actually like on the 93-96 bodystyle.

1. No vinyl top. Total PITA to remove and make it look right if you have a Brougham package car. Thus why I bought a base model car.
2. Tasteful rims, 20" at the very largest. And even then I'm not a huge fan of 20's unless its done right.
3. Painting all the gray trim on the rocker panels body color. Stuff tends to fade after a while, it looks good body color.

My thoughts exactly. I'm stuck with a vinyl roof on the limo, though. Too many welds to conceal.

18" rims are my max, but they're hard to find in a non-truck look.

If it's in good shape, the chrome rocker molding really sets the car off, particularly on a black car. I'm thinking about blacking out all that trim that runs under the windows. The gray stuff is peeling off of mine. I wonder how that would look?

hadesnuggz
08-28-11, 02:13 PM
lol Did you say my car looks like crap without whitewalls? lol 79603
Again, my car wouldnt look right with whitewalls. And I have the tint taken off now. i want to get it re-tinted lightly.

turbojimmy
08-28-11, 02:30 PM
lol Did you say my car looks like crap without whitewalls? lol 79603
Again, my car wouldnt look right with whitewalls. And I have the tint taken off now. i want to get it re-tinted lightly.

Not like crap, no. It's a great looking example in the best color (but I'm biased). But.....too much rubber IMO. The white walls break it up. Either that or bigger rims and lower profile tires. That's my strategy as soon as I get my top taken care of....

cadillac_al
08-28-11, 03:33 PM
Nice car, if it was mine I would probably have the whitewalls but yours doesn't look bad at all with blackwalls like a 70's Caddy would.

jayoldschool
08-28-11, 04:21 PM
Yes, your car would look better with whitewalls. Sorry.

Bob Chicago
08-28-11, 08:51 PM
Hi I'm Bob. I have a 96 Fleetwood and previously a 93. I replaced the original Michelin's with MasterCraft (Cooper?) and they were just ok. Now I have 40k or so on those and need to replace them.

I miss the Michelin's. How do the Michelin LTX Ride? I want that smooth Michelin Ride back. The other tires I'm looking at are the Yokohama's. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Stingroo
08-28-11, 08:59 PM
My dad used Yokohama tires on his Maxima that he used to own. They seemed to ride really well. Not a lot of memories of them, though.

The LTX - are those light truck tires? If so, bleh.

P.S. Welcome to the forums. :) Post some photos of your car in the sticky thread up top.

cadillac kevin
08-28-11, 09:12 PM
why'd you ditch the tint all around? I would have just ditched the front tint but left the rear doors and back tinted.

hadesnuggz
08-29-11, 12:18 AM
Sorry, I will never agree to have some cheap looking white walls on my FWB. I have seen other fleetwoods with the 1 inch spaced whitewall, it looks corny as shit. Im simply asking about tire performance, not whether they have white walls or not. ha

And I ditched the tint cause I kept getting pulled over. :/

MoistCabbage
08-29-11, 12:48 AM
It's your car and nobody can tell you what you like, but white walls hardly look "cheap" or "corny" on a Fleetwood. White walls on a Camry or something like that....now that's a different story. On a Fleetwood though, they look classy and elegant.

csbuckn
08-29-11, 01:01 AM
Durk, I think you should get rims and tires instead of buy tires for the stock rim because you wont get the tire you're looking for. Get some 17s or 18s with a nice performance tire.

Stingroo
08-29-11, 01:07 AM
Wait, this is durrk johnson?

What happened to your old account?

SupaFly
08-29-11, 08:55 AM
I'm taking off my Vogues and replacing them with Hankook Mileage Plus II tires with a sidewall. I got them for $360 shipped. Should be here Thursday. The Vogues look awesome but they suck performance/handling-wise.

hadesnuggz
08-29-11, 10:46 AM
Yeah, this is durrk johnson... My account got locked out for somereason. When i tried to get my password, it said my email didnt exist.

And yeah, I realyyyyyyyyyyyyy want rims, but I just cant afford both at the moment.

Stingroo
08-29-11, 10:48 AM
Well hey. :)

Hope she's running well now. I remember you got a lot of problems out of that car when you first bought it.

RIP Big Blue. :(

jayoldschool
08-29-11, 11:43 AM
Send a message to Lord Cadillac, he will be able to get your Durk account back online. Tell him I sent you ;)

hadesnuggz
08-29-11, 02:05 PM
Thanks jay, and thats funny you remember Big Blue stingroo, didnt know you were online back when that happened. haha

And yeah, still have a few problems, and I realy dont wanna put him through this winter.. But whatevs. Dont really have a choice at this point.

hadesnuggz
08-29-11, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah, and if I was looking for rims, what size do I need if I want 17's or 18's?

turbojimmy
08-29-11, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah, and if I was looking for rims, what size do I need if I want 17's or 18's?

Go to rimsntires.com. They'll select the right size and backspacing for your car. Then you can shop the wheels you like somewhere else because their pricing sucks.

csbuckn
08-29-11, 03:52 PM
17s would give you more option for tires as far as being soft and reliable. 18s will start to raise the speed ratings(harder ride) and price while lowering the treadwear and mileage warranty.

Bob Chicago
09-18-11, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm still looking for tires. My one mechanic wants to sell me Firestones. I've never been fond of those. NTB has buy 2 get 2 free sale and wants to sell me COOPER: Discoverer LSX
Part # CP05823705OL / 86799 They don't look like bad tires, but they appear to be light truck tires too as are the Michelin's. The Discoverer is Cooper’s premium touring SUV/light truck original equipment replacement tire.

Any ideas on how these will ride? The other tires I'm seeing in 235/70/15 are Kumho, Hankook, Continental, and Dunlop. Kumho has some fans and is mostly well rated on Tire Rack, but some people bash them for wear and for being a low/medium level tire.

What are you guys using for replacement on your Fleetwoods that you are happy with? I'm thinking of going with the Coopers, but I have one more mechanic I want to run this by and see what he thinks. The NTB sale is good for one more week and I want to do this before the sale is over or at least by the end of the month.

My Fleetwood has 85k on it. I got it with 27 5 years ago. One owner, never driven in winter. The original owners were snowbirds and left the car at their mechanics. It took me a while to find it as you'd imagine.
I replaced a 93.

Thanks,

Bob

MoistCabbage
09-19-11, 12:52 AM
A Fleetwood is not a light truck/SUV, it is a passenger cat. Use passenger car tires, you will not like how truck tires ride.

Cadillacboy
09-19-11, 04:34 PM
We do have Marshall 235/70/15 102H , white walls . They do perform well but squeaks more comprared to stock Goodyears

MoistCabbage
09-20-11, 10:19 PM
Squeaking tires?

Mark 78 Coupe
09-21-11, 11:01 AM
Hi, I just bought the Runway Enduro 75 tires, and the ride is incredibly smooth. Honestly, much better than I thought it would be. Here's a thought; buy whitewall tires, and mount them backwards. If you change your mind, or sell your car, it is easier and cheaper to turn them around. I have to agree with most everyone here about the whitewalls. In your case, with stock rims, get whitewalls. When you upgrade to bigger wheels, of course do blackwalls. But honestly, your car looks like it is missing something with the blackwalls, and that is a shame 'cause your car looks very cool otherwise.

Cadillacboy
09-21-11, 11:17 AM
Squeaking tires?

It only happens when you perform a sharp turn though , its like a noise when you have a sudden brake ,not a big deal

SDCaddyLacky
09-21-11, 12:16 PM
It's really tough to find soft tire molds today. It doesn't matter what new tire you buy, the mold will not be as soft as tires of 20-30 years ago. I believe tires with the least amount engineering advancements will ride better/smoother compared to ones with all kinds additional features. You'll obviously be sacrifice in handling, but when your driving an old Cadillac who cares.

I have heard mixed reactions about the Enduro's, but maybe I'll try those when my current tires wear out.