: 472 Engine Swap

62chevystepside
10-23-04, 10:31 PM
Hello, I have a 1962 Chevy Stepside truck and I am looking for a new engine. There is a 1968 472 Engine in the Paper for 500 canadian with the transmisisson. We messured it and it is 26 inches wide. But my frame is 24 inches, is there anything I can do to make it fit. Any custom motor mounts. Would it be hard to put powersteering in the truck? IS there anything i can do or do I have to get a 350 :(

Cody

Third Twin
10-23-04, 11:34 PM
Hello, I have a 1962 Chevy Stepside truck and I am looking for a new engine. There is a 1968 472 Engine in the Paper for 500 canadian with the transmisisson. We messured it and it is 26 inches wide. But my frame is 24 inches, is there anything I can do to make it fit. Any custom motor mounts. Would it be hard to put powersteering in the truck? IS there anything i can do or do I have to get a 350 :(

Cody

The 500 Caddy is approx 23.5" wide from head to head and about 28-29" with the cast manifolds. From the face of the bellhousing to the tip of the water pump is 31". The pan to cleaner heighth is about 31" also. So, that being said, you can see that the motor is approx the same size as a cheby 350. Hope that helps. As far as mounts go, universal motor mounts can be had for relatively cheap or you can fab them yourself if you are handy with a welder.

Good luck with your project.
:thumbsup:

Spyder
10-23-04, 11:58 PM
You can make anything fit if you have some time to mess around with it...I've got a '60 Dodge with a '68 big block in it...and have been through lots of fun 60-64 falcons and comets with mustang 5.0's/5 spds that my uncle did most of the work on, with a little help from me...If you've got the time and the space to work on it, it'll come together eventually. Good luck!