: Orconn

OffThaHorseCEO
08-23-11, 03:17 PM
word on the wire is there was an earthquake in VA, if i recall correctly youre from VA.

everything ok?

some of my family members who live further north felt the after effects

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 03:21 PM
It was a 5.8 initial, upgraded to a 6.0. I can assure you that everybody is ok. Orconn's tough. :bouncy:

Ranger
08-23-11, 03:43 PM
In Va.? I just watch the news and they said it was in southern Colo. centered near Trinidad. Was there two?

STSS
08-23-11, 03:46 PM
There were two.... We felt the VA quake here in Ohio.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-23-11, 03:46 PM
there were multiple. apparently hawaii and alaska too

Ranger
08-23-11, 04:02 PM
Oh no, the world is coming to an end!

OffThaHorseCEO
08-23-11, 04:06 PM
an earthquake apocalypse would almost be the worst kind.

like if it was a massive massive earthquake apocalypse theres almost nothing you can do to fight it. flood apocalypse ok cool just build a big boat with food and water. zombie apocalypse just steal a unimog and fit guns to it and haul food and hot chicks around with you and youre set.

cold apocalypse make an underground cave which i imagine would be easier to keep warm

earthquake apocalypse...what do you do there? fly into outerspace?

Submariner409
08-23-11, 04:22 PM
Same here on Kent Island. Started as a gentle rocking - 15 to 20 waves, then 6 or 8 moderately severe waves. The motion was east-west - many pictures askew, several knicknacks on various shelves hit the deck; garage junk is OK - lost 2 smashed flashlights that jumped off shelves. I gather that DC was in a panic. I plainly heard the window frames in the house creak and crack, there's a new (small) crack in a section of drywall upstairs. During the event, looking out a window, the trees were plainly moving in different relation to the house - quite a bit. Verizon DSL was down for an hour afterward. The epicenter was in middle of the triangle formed by Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg.

dkozloski
08-23-11, 04:48 PM
A 5 to 6 is almost nothing. Things don't get interesting until you get into the upper 7s. We have about 20,000 earthquakes a year in Alaska so it takes quite a bit to get people excited around here.

neurotictim
08-23-11, 04:57 PM
Facebook exploded just after it happened here - may not be a big deal to Alaskans, but here in Va it's literally unheard of, at least as far as anyone remembers. At this scale, anyway.

vincentm
08-23-11, 05:03 PM
Oh no, the world is coming to an end!

I blame Obama for the earthquake

/sarcasm

dkozloski
08-23-11, 05:07 PM
HAARP Project.

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 05:10 PM
The most recent quake that I have experienced was the Chino Hills quake of '08, and it was a 5.5 on the Richter. It woke me up in the morning, but I got up thinking that my dog had jumped on my bed. Seconds later it was over. A few months before that, a 6.9 rocked my home in Palm Springs. A couple of years before that, there was a 7.0. I remember watching the water in he pool slosh out of both sides 5 or 6 feet in the air. The pool was almost empty afterwards. I lived in the suburbs of LA at that time. I was 2 when the Northridge quake struck, so I don't remember that.

dkozloski
08-23-11, 05:20 PM
A friend of mine was practicing the trumpet when the great Alaska earthquake started. He ran out of the house just as a giant crack opened up in his yard. He fell down with his hand and arm in the crack as it closed back up. He struggled to get up until he realized he was still holding onto the trumpet so he let go and pulled his arm out of the ground. He went back later with a pick and shovel to try to find the trumpet but he never did get it back.

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 05:26 PM
^That makes me sad. Lol. I'm a trumpet player. I couldn't imagine losing my trumpet like that. Hahaha

vincentm
08-23-11, 05:33 PM
A friend of mine was practicing the trumpet when the great Alaska earthquake started. He ran out of the house just as a giant crack opened up in his yard. He fell down with his hand and arm in the crack as it closed back up. He struggled to get up until he realized he was still holding onto the trumpet so he let go and pulled his arm out of the ground. He went back later with a pick and shovel to try to find the trumpet but he never did get it back.

It's buried with the Wooly Mammoths

ThumperPup
08-23-11, 05:54 PM
well i didn't feel it here guess it did not read cleveland

Submariner409
08-23-11, 07:07 PM
Reports of seismic activity from the 1351 EDT 5.8 quake in Mineral, VA are coming to NGS from as far west as Chicago, as far south as lower NC and as far north as Martha's Vineyard. Later this evening the report map will probably show the SW reports, too.

"It" (reached) Cleveland and more.............

http://earthquake.usgs.gov

orconn
08-23-11, 07:20 PM
The epicenter was about 20 miles from our home near a town called Cuckoo ( I kid you not) more of a junction of two county roads, and about four miles from the larger, but by know means substantial town of Mineral. As Sub described they was a moderate initial shaking followed by a more pronounced shaking that tapered off to a low rumble.

I have been under the weather this eek, so was reading in bed when the temblor started. Our house sit on a high ridge adjacent to the James River which is pretty much under laid with the hard rock of the region. Quakes cause much less damage to structures that are located on rock structures than those that are built on land with sedimentary deposits that are very prone for "liquefaction" (pronounced, violent shaking) during an earthquake.

It sounds as though Sub experienced an even higher level of shaking than we did here. My son's office building was evacuated, and D.C. in general seemed to shake more due to the swampy underpinnings of the city's underpinnings.

The news is reporting that this earthquake was of the highest magnitude during recorded history in Virginia. It is amazing that a quake that was felt over such a wide are of the Eastern Seaboard would be so relatively mild (as a Californian this earthquake seemed relatively mild). However, as time goes by and inspection of the old and antiquated becomes more knowledgeable it will be found that the damage to these old cities in the East, with their unreinforced brick construction, will be found to be more extensive than the preliminary estimates indicate.

Submariner409
08-23-11, 07:49 PM
Quakes cause much less damage to structures that are located on rock structures than those that are built on land with sedimentary deposits that are very prone for "liquefaction" (pronounced, violent shaking) during an earthquake.

Yep..........Almost the entire Eastern Shore sits on sand and fine clay - a huge bowl of Jell-O.

You want stone to put on your driveway over here ?? It comes from VA, WV, PA quarries.

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 08:30 PM
Liquefaction is a process that occurs during severe earthquakes in which the sediment in an area with a high water table settles and pushes the water to the surface, which turns the earth into a near-liquid and makes the ground highly unstable and soft, often ending in fallen structures, sinkholes, and flooding. Liquefaction is quite possibly the most dangerous aspect of an earthquake outside of tsunamis.

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 08:32 PM
Interesting fact: Los Angeles City Hall sits on a rubber bushing-like foundation which helps the building sway with the earthquake rather than against it, which keeps the building much safer from collapse or damage.

orconn
08-23-11, 09:15 PM
Interesting fact: Los Angeles City Hall sits on a rubber bushing-like foundation which helps the building sway with the earthquake rather than against it, which keeps the building much safer from collapse or damage.

As a matter of fact, all the high rise buildings built in Los Angeles after the 1950's are mounted on huge "shock absorbers" that are made of Teflon and thus far have kept damage to these buildings to a minimum though tested by substatial earthquakes over the past five decades.

Ranger
08-23-11, 09:47 PM
Reports of seismic activity from the 1351 EDT 5.8 quake in Mineral, VA are coming to NGS from as far west as Chicago, as far south as lower NC and as far north as Martha's Vineyard. Later this evening the report map will probably show the SW reports, too.

"It" (reached) Cleveland and more.............

http://earthquake.usgs.gov
I didn't feel a thing.

Destroyer
08-23-11, 09:59 PM
Wacky stuff indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Playdrv4me
08-24-11, 04:04 AM
While it's hard to imagine people in Ohio actually felt shaking from a quake on the East coast, I do have to say that everyone who keeps claiming a 6.0 is nothing for the West Coast, has to realize that even moderate quakes in heavy, architecturally unprepared population centers of the worst kind (i.e. the EAST COAST) can have devastating effects. The geologic make-up of the East coast, which doesn't see seismic events all that often, is also much more rigid, easily carrying shocks and vibrations over much greater distances. In the West, geologic events keep the earth much looser and less able to transmit those vibrations. So when you combine the heavy population with the geologic differences, it's certainly nothing to brush off.

Also, I think I'm the only one who picked up on DKoz's HAARP reference lol...